PDA

View Full Version : **PICS**Kitten with no back legs or tail**PICS**

lute
09-08-2007, 03:23 PM
Someone brought a little 4-5 week old kitten to the vet clinic I work at the other day. This kitten was in horrible shape. The man told us that he found the kitten in his barn. Noticed it had no back legs or tail so he rushed it in. The vet asked the man if he was going to keep the kitten if we could save him. He said "well, if he's lived this long, why not." That's exactly what I wanted to hear! So we sewed him all back up and put him in a cage in the back.

This little buff colored kitten, that I've dubbed Trooper, is the happest lil guy ever! He just purrs when you love on him, meows real loud when he sees you, and is eating wonderfully. Unfortinatly, the man that brought this kitten in has failed to return to pick up the lil guy. I don't know what the vet will do if the man does not pick him up. I can't take him as my dogs would kill him. It would be amazingly hard to adopt out a kitten with a nearly $200 vet bill and such severe challenges.

I do have pics of Trooper. They are on my phone though. I go in tomorrow to clean cages and kennels. I'll take my camera along and get digital pics of him and post them.

UPDATE!!! I finally got my pics uploaded!!! Sorry it took forever! Last I've heard the kitten is still doing very well.

Lil Trooper in my pocket. His favorite place to be when he was at the clinic.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/BeanieGracie/pike%20co%20pics/Picture005.jpg

My lil buddy, Trooper.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/BeanieGracie/pike%20co%20pics/Picture002.jpg

The sutures. You can see he has no back legs or tail!
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/BeanieGracie/pike%20co%20pics/Picture001.jpg

catmandu
09-08-2007, 04:23 PM
If You Got Get The Local Newspaper To Print A Story On Trooper
And I Am Sure That There Will Be Someone Who Will Gave This Brave Little Cat A Great Home.

We Know That The Pet Angel Visitors Squad Is With Trooper Now Keeping His Spirits Up And Helping Him Be As Happy As He Possibly Can Be.

Trooper Sounds Like The Purrfect Name For That Game Little Fellow.

rg_girlca
09-08-2007, 04:41 PM
OMG!!!! This poor sweet baby. :( What happened to him, that the vet had to stitch him back up? He wasn't born this way?

:mad: at the guy for not coming back to get this precious baby.
I pray everything works out well for Trooper and some kind soul will adopt him.

I know this is wishful thinking on my part, but do you think maybe the vet would consider keeping Trooper as a little mascot at the hospital.

Please keep us posted on the situation.

kimlovescats
09-08-2007, 04:52 PM
It sounds like he was attacked by something and had his back legs and tail torn off! How horrible!!! Poor little baby boy!!! :( I guess the man started thinking about all his injuries would involve and wimped out on the little guy! :mad: I'm wondering how the little guy will adapt ... using the litter box is going to be a challenge and keeping his backend clean. He will probably get sore from having to drag himself around too. I wonder if he could learn to walk on his front legs in a "handstand" like that other little kitty that was in the news? That would be awesome for him! Poor little fella deserves a chance! I sure wish I could take him!

Edit: Has the vet mentioned any details about his general health. Did the accident injure anything internally, what about his private area .... will his bowels and bladder be able to function normally? I'm just wondering how extensive his injuries were.

Kim

Karen
09-08-2007, 04:54 PM
Do you have a veteran's rehab hospital nearby? This kitten might be a perfect mascot for such a place, and the veterans would probably get some joy out of seeing the kitten grow and adapt. I bet he could use a little cart to get around ...

Medusa
09-08-2007, 05:52 PM
When my RB Peeka had to have her tail amputated (due to abuse from kids trying to skin her alive; they got all the fur off her tail and then broke it), my vet at that time said that he had to be really careful when operating so that he didn't hit the nerve back there that would render Peeka incontinent. He did an excellent job and Peeka lived to be 14 before she passed of acute renal failure. If this kitty can use the litterbox, the vet may be able to rig some sort of harness w/wheels for where his legs used to be. Poor sweet boy. I'm going to say some extra good prayers for this sweet one tonight. What in the world got ahold of this little guy?

lute
09-08-2007, 06:15 PM
The vet seems to think either a dog attacked him or a rat got a hold of him or a rat had maybe slowly eaten him when he was younger. We don't really know.

I was thinking of making him a lil cart, but I want to know what the vet will do with him first. I definatly won't let them put him down unless he just can't adapt. I think he'll do just fine though. If I must he can stay in a large dog crate until I can find somwhere for him to go. It would probably over load me right now, but I don't want him to die. He scoots himself along ok right now. When he eats his bottom goes UP in the air. It's pretty cute.

The lil kitten's general health is good. He can urinate and deficate like normal. I don't know of any rehab hospitols that would take him.

I might take Trooper's story to the news if his outlook is good and this owner never comes for him. Surely someone would be a suitable permanent home for him.

I'll definatly keep you all updated.

Medusa
09-08-2007, 06:25 PM
Oh, please do. I'm really anxious to see the pix. His story really got to me.

rg_girlca
09-08-2007, 06:37 PM
The vet seems to think either a dog attacked him or a rat got a hold of him or a rat had maybe slowly eaten him when he was younger. We don't really know.

OMG!!!! I feel sick to my stomach just thinking what this poor sweet widdle baby had to endure.

Bless you Lute for caring so much for this precious baby. I'm happy to hear that he has no problems going potty.
Prayers on the way that he finds a suitable loving home, where he'll live a long happy life.

Thank you for keeping us updated.

phesina
09-08-2007, 07:15 PM
Thank you, Lute. It sounds like Trooper (perfect name) is doing just fine and needs to find his furrever home. Bless you for caring about him and looking out for him.

I don't think that first guy should get him back if he ever should show up looking for him.. Not even to call to find out how the little guy is doing is pretty cold-hearted.

Gosh, I wonder how Trooper would do here with my gang...

Pat

krazyaboutkatz
09-08-2007, 07:22 PM
Poor baby.:( Thanks for telling us about him. I bet that if you do get the news involved that he'd be able to find a wonderful loving home quickly. I look forward to hearing more about him and also seeing some pictures of him too.:)

Anikaca77
09-08-2007, 09:00 PM
Please keep us updated and thank you so much for thinking of taking in this sweet little guy.

MyCatMowgli
09-09-2007, 06:08 AM
He prolly said he would take him in, so that the vet wouldnt just put the little guy down.

columbine
09-09-2007, 08:19 AM
He prolly said he would take him in, so that the vet wouldnt just put the little guy down.That was what I thought too.

Love, Columbine

emilysgk
09-09-2007, 12:20 PM
A also agree with that. He sounds the type that has barn cats that he offers up food and thats mostly it. I hope he at least gets them spayed and neutered, but I know a lot just dont. I hope to hear more about this baby and good news. Sounds like a fighter for sure.

angelbow20
09-09-2007, 12:53 PM
Its sad that he never came back for the kitten but atleast he took her to the vet... I know alot of farmers around the area I live and they dont do even that for kittens in their barn im sure.. Maybe he knew he couldnt afford it but wanted to still save its life.

momcat
09-09-2007, 01:33 PM
Oh that poor little sweetie! I pray this little one will find a loving, caring furever home where he'll be spoiled and enjoy the life all kitties deserve.

doolittleky
09-09-2007, 04:14 PM
Lute, I don't have the medical bills money but I would consider taking this little guy. Pleas elet me know as much info as you can especailly about his bathroom abilities and any futre medicla expense.
melissa

doolittleky
09-09-2007, 05:17 PM
bump

critters
09-10-2007, 05:38 AM
The baby will be fine. You should post to http://handicappedpet.net/help/ for more info. Trooper will probably want to work out his own mobility, possibly a handstand, but you could make a cart to try, if you want. Kitties are notorious, however, for not cooperating with such things!!

Whisk_Luva
09-12-2007, 01:57 AM
bump

elizabethann
09-12-2007, 11:40 AM
Can you post a picture of Trooper?

I wished you lived close by. I would adopt the poor little kitten. I wonder if it's afraid of dogs now?

Thanks for taking care of Trooper!

Reachoutrescue
09-13-2007, 11:40 PM
Any update on this lil' guy?

momtomany
09-14-2007, 11:29 AM
It would be nice to have an update. There is also a place in Montana that may help. It is called Rolling Dog Ranch and it is a place for disable dogs, cats, horses, you name it o live their lives. I have attached their website:

http://www.rollingdogranch.org/

Wondefully uplifting to read their stories.

doolittleky
09-16-2007, 02:57 PM
I talked to Lute last week because if the owner didn't come back for the baby I was going to adopt it. The owner did come back for it. I told Lute if it is too much for the owner to handle with it's care that I would adopt it.
melissa

lute
09-17-2007, 11:50 AM
Sorry I havn't givin much of an update. Yes, the owner did come for the kitten. We all made sure it was VERY clear that if he couldn't handle the kitten we would take it back and find a home for it. I'm mailing a toy to Trooper's owner today that I nice PTer from Canada sent him.(Thanks found cats and your wonderful owner!) :D

If the owner does return the cat I'll let everyone know. I do have pics of Trooper on my camera, but my dad took the camera cord to work the other day. I will post them eventually! :rolleyes:

lute
11-05-2007, 05:34 PM
I'm bumping this on up so everyone can see the pics!

Taz_Zoee
11-05-2007, 05:45 PM
Oh, tears in my eyes here. Have you heard how he is doing?
He is sooo cute!!!

jennielynn1970
11-05-2007, 06:02 PM
OMG... this just breaks my heart. That poor little guy! I can't imagine the horror he had to go through before he was taken to the vet. :( :mad:

WELOVESPUPPIES
11-05-2007, 06:04 PM
What a little sweetheart. Lucky for him the man found him and he was able to be all patched up and have a chance at a loving home.

Catty1
11-05-2007, 07:51 PM
Um - where are the pics???

lute
11-05-2007, 08:07 PM
Um - where are the pics???
I put them in the origonal post.

Catty1
11-05-2007, 08:09 PM
Oh ok, thanks! :)

He is just adorable! And he's young enough that he will pity other cats for having all that extra weight to carry around! ;)

I hope the owner can give an update or two.

ETA: I looked a bit more thru the handicapped pets site...there is a pic of a cat, AND a:

http://www.handicappedpets.com/images/ebony1_small.jpg

http://www.handicappedpets.com/dogkart/cartimages/134/cartbar1.jpg

And click here to see a Lemur, cat, opossum and ferret in a cart!

http://www.handicappedpets.com/dogkart/cats/index.htm

Apparently the rear support carts help cats with CH.

OMG! This little guy is hardly older than Trooper - and his cart is made out of Lego!!!! :D

http://www.geocities.com/speedykitten/Speedypage1.jpg

The site has the cutest and wonderful slide show: http://www.geocities.com/speedykitten/

And why not go to a hardware store and do it yourself with some splinter-proof padding? http://www.oscardog.it/ausili/carrellolegno.jpg

http://www.k9carts.com/protect.html Protection!

lute
11-06-2007, 03:43 PM
Those are some really cute pics Catty1! Fortinatly, Trooper never needed a cart. Just about a week after he left the clinic he came back to get his sutures removed and was walking on a handstand! :D

aki
11-06-2007, 04:01 PM
forgive me for just not knowing, but do pets that have to use a cart, also wear diapers? or are there special litter boxes?

Pawla
11-06-2007, 04:25 PM
I'm so glad to finally get to "meet" this little cutie! I'm also glad to hear he's doing well. His story is so inspiring! Please keep us posted if you hear anything from the owner.

columbine
11-06-2007, 06:03 PM
Those are some really cute pics Catty1! Fortinatly, Trooper never needed a cart. Just about a week after he left the clinic he came back to get his sutures removed and was walking on a handstand! :DWow! Can you get video? He's such a cutie!

Love, Columbine

Catty1
11-06-2007, 08:02 PM
I guess his front legs will grow stronger as he grows! :D What a real TROOPER - you sure picked his name perfectly.

It would be tempting to put him on TV - but some yahoo would probably come and steal him.

I hope his owner doesn't mind if he has a fan club here. :)

momcat
11-07-2007, 04:49 PM
I hope his owner doesn't mind if he has a fan club here. :)
I hope so too! I'm ready to join!!!

critters
11-08-2007, 07:49 AM
forgive me for just not knowing, but do pets that have to use a cart, also wear diapers? or are there special litter boxes? It depends on WHY they use a cart. If it's for CH (critter cerebral palsy) they don't need diapers; if they're paralyzed from spina bifida or a spinal cord injury they might need diapers or expressing (pressing on the belly to release poop or pee). One handicat litterbox, devised by CarolC, is http://handicappedpets.com/wiki/index.php?title=Litterbox_for_handicapped_pet . These days, we use just the dog litterboxes without the cushions.

AlleyCat
11-08-2007, 07:50 AM
Really cute photos, and what a story. I'm just reading this can't believe I missed this the first time. I hope he continues to do ok !!!