PDA

View Full Version : Kitten Question

MyCatMowgli
09-08-2007, 06:45 AM
Ok, Ive heard of cats doing this, but is it normal?

My kitten "kneads" everything. His food when he is eating it(and he eats a lot!), when I pet him he will knead me or the air. When he is sleeping, he may knead what he is sleeping on or the air.
He also meows a ton. Ive never owned a cat before, but Ive known people who have and they all have never seen such a talkative kitty.

Are these signs of any sort of behavioral problem, or do some kittens just do this kneading thing for awhile.

Oh yeah, sometimes if he is on my lap, he will bite me (Possible trying to nurse?) and kinda just hold his mouth their.

Lets see, he is about 9 - 10 weeks now.

Freedom
09-08-2007, 07:36 AM
A lot of that kneading is his age. He is quite young to be away from his mom!

Kittens knead to get the milk started flowing from mom's nipples. So this action gives them feelings of contentment.

Cats knead when they are extra emotional. When they are very happy, and sometimes when they are nervous, to help calm themselves.

He sounds like a happy, happy boy, who LOVES his food, he he, and his people!

catnapper
09-08-2007, 08:07 AM
Yup, kneeding is very normal. Its a comfort thing for them. I love when my adult cats do that, but not at 6:00 in the morning on my very full bladder ;)

Hellow
09-08-2007, 08:27 AM
Yes, cats "Kneading" is normal. When they are being fed by their mother, kneading helps to get the milk flowing. I used to love it when my cat, Snowflake, would sit & knead the side of my leg while i was sitting on the couch. It helps to relax my muscles. That is one of the many anesthetic things cats do!

lvpets2002
09-08-2007, 10:36 AM
:p I aggree with on the that.. Of course thats when my babies want to knead the most is off & on all night..
Yup, kneeding is very normal. Its a comfort thing for them. I love when my adult cats do that, but not at 6:00 in the morning on my very full bladder ;)

momtomany
09-08-2007, 10:57 AM
I love it too when one of my babies kneads me. It is comforting to me as well as to them. One of my kneaders "woofs" when does. He not a meower, but a "woofer". Just enjoy your baby kneading and give him/her lots of love.

Babyboonie
09-08-2007, 12:05 PM
"Kneading" is the most wonderful thing in the world! I love it when my boys jump up on my lap and knead away...except for in the middle of the night and on a full bladder as previously mentioned!!

jazzcat
09-08-2007, 12:09 PM
All but one of my cats still kneads and they range in age from 15 1/2 to 1 year old.

MyCatMowgli
09-08-2007, 03:09 PM
Cool, thanks for the answers.

I like when he kneads, I just wasnt sure if he should be doing it so much!

Medusa
09-08-2007, 06:22 PM
My RB Peeka could knead for half an hour, maybe longer. She loved it and so did I. None of my other cats do it, though, just my Peekie.

catmandu
09-09-2007, 04:41 PM
Cats And Kittens Often Knead It All The Time, My Bo Bo Kneads Me All The Time And Purrrs All The Time.
Your Little One Certainly Does Have A Lot Of Purrrrsonality
And You Will Have Many Years Of Fun And Laughter Ahead.

MyCatMowgli
09-16-2007, 04:48 AM
ok, funny thing.
Since the day after I posted this, he no longer kneads like he used to!

Ive seen him do it like once, but it was no where near the intensity it was.

I mean he used to do it for anything and everything.

Now, never....

I think its crazy how he stopped right when I posted this too.

Laura's Babies
09-16-2007, 07:56 AM
He will do this just about all his life. Here we call it making "happy feet" and I love watching mine do it!

jenluckenbach
09-16-2007, 08:07 AM
We too, call it happy feet! :) And it is comforting to them and to us.

As for the fact that he stopped after you posted, maybe you embarrassed him :o ;)

The little bite without actually biting down hard, I always call that a love bite.