PDA

View Full Version : Pouncer in for Surgery :((Update post #52)

catnapper
09-07-2007, 03:03 PM
I knew Pouncer was getting sick again so I called the vet and begged for an appointment BEFORE the weekend to avoid a trip to the emergency vet on Sunday (thinking ahead for once)

As my gut told me: Pouncer's fully blocked. The vet was impressed I called it right and got him in so quickly and said its time for the surgery. I can't keep running him to the vet to be unblocked and sent home. Its not fair to him and surgery will be best for him. It'll also be cheaper in the long-run -- no more $100 vet trips to unblock.

She will try to get the surgery in tomorrow, if not, it will be monday. In the meantime she'll unblock him (obviously). So now I'll be a nervous wreck waiting to hear how he did and that he woke up from the anethesia.

Please offer prayers for a safe recovery. I miss him already.

Oh, and a good thing: my vet is seriously interested in Tuscan :) She's always wanted a big long haired orangie. She said she can;t promise anything but she wants to meet him.

Grace
09-07-2007, 03:08 PM
Prayers for you and Pouncer - fingers crossed for Tuscan and your Vet.

catmandu
09-07-2007, 03:14 PM
Pouncer And Mr Scrappy Angel Are There With Pouncer To Comfort Him During His Ordeal And See If They Cant Keep His Spirits Up.

Poor Pouncer Has Been Through So Much Already And We Are All Sending Prayers For Our Dear Tabby Friend.

And That Would Be Icing On The Cake.
A Healthy Pouncer And Big Tuscan In A Furr Ever Home Where He Would Reign As King Cat.
We Are Praying Hard For Both Things To Happen.

jenluckenbach
09-07-2007, 03:28 PM
Prayers for Pouncer.

Queen of Poop
09-07-2007, 06:57 PM
Prayers all around. For Pouncer, for Tuscan and for the vet.

Medusa
09-07-2007, 07:01 PM
Prayers going out for Pouncer to keep him safe and well and for Tuscan for his new home and for you, too.

jennielynn1970
09-07-2007, 07:13 PM
Awe.. poor Pouncer!! Hope the surgery goes well, and hey, maybe you can make a bargain on the surgery fee vs. the adoption fee for Tuscan, lol!!!

Big hugs going out to all your kitties!!!

catnapper
09-07-2007, 07:20 PM
Awe.. poor Pouncer!! Hope the surgery goes well, and hey, maybe you can make a bargain on the surgery fee vs. the adoption fee for Tuscan, lol!!!

Big hugs going out to all your kitties!!!
LOL! Bribery!

While the Pouncer's away, the Tuscan can play. Tuscan's been out all night and loving it. If my vet does decide to adopt him, she'll get one sweet kitty. What do you think I should ask for an adoption fee? $200? That surely will go a long way towards Pouncer's surgery. ;)

I feel just awful for Pouncer. He's such a sweet cat and doesn't deserve this illness. I hope it solves all his problems and he lives pain free from now on. I know UITs are a common problem after this surgery, and I hope Pouncer will be one who avoids them. Question: Even after the PU surgery, they can still form cystals, right? They just have a larger hole in which to pee them out?

jenluckenbach
09-07-2007, 07:30 PM
Question: Even after the PU surgery, they can still form cystals, right? They just have a larger hole in which to pee them out?
correct

the idea being, PREVENT crystals with the correct food.

any report on how he is doing?

catnapper
09-07-2007, 07:53 PM
correct

the idea being, PREVENT crystals with the correct food.

any report on how he is doing?
I know all about prevention -- I spend a small fortune every month on food for him. Feeding one cat special food is impossible, so everyone eats prescription food. Obviously prevention doesn't work in Pouncer's case. I'm almost positive stress is his trigger. We redid the bathroom. Ashley moved her room upstairs. Son left for school again. I was all stressed over family issues last month.... and we all know based on what the psychic said, he internalizes MY stress and makes himself sick. I DO believe she hit the nail on the head there.

No report for how he's doing. She wasn't sure when she could do the surgery. Its gonna be a long weekend.

We've just been hit with a lot of new bills.... $800 for emergency root canal for me two weeks ago. $600 for books for our son this semester. $1500 for another medical bill. Now this. I'm paying a LOT of people $100 a month til these bills are paid off!!!

Glacier
09-07-2007, 07:54 PM
How old is Pouncer?

Pete had his PU surgery several years ago as a very young cat. For the first 18 months post-surgery he had several UTI's. He hasn't had one in over two years now. He eats Royal Canin S/O formula and that seems to have made the difference for him. (all the cats eat it actually, but only Pete has to have it). My vet believes that in cats who develop this problem very young, it seems to lessen as they age. That has certainly been the case for Pete. He still had to have the PU surgery or he wouldn't have been around to get older, but now he's 8, happy and healthy.

I hope Pouncer is home soon and feeling better.

catnapper
09-07-2007, 07:56 PM
How old is Pouncer?

Pete had his PU surgery several years ago as a very young cat. For the first 18 months post-surgery he had several UTI's. He hasn't had one in over two years now. He eats Royal Canin S/O formula and that seems to have made the difference for him. (all the cats eat it actually, but only Pete has to have it).

I hope Pouncer is home soon and feeling better.
Pouncer turned 4 this past summer.

He's also on Royal Canin prescription food. But his is a different formula to help with his *ahem* weight issues as well as prevent the crystals. We were doing so well this summer. They hadn't seen him since late spring -- hey thats a record for my boy!

Craftlady
09-07-2007, 08:31 PM
Will keep good thoughts and prayers for a successful surgery.

kt_luvs_kitties
09-07-2007, 09:05 PM
Prayers for Pouncer. He is really so young for all of this :( BUT I know he will be ok. *HUGS* Katie and kits

shais_mom
09-07-2007, 10:26 PM
poor pouncer! :(
he'll be in my prayers! as will momma!

Donnaj4962
09-07-2007, 10:44 PM
Prayers from me and the girls in Indiana for you and Pouncer!

Be well Pouncer.... there are many hoping and praying for a good result!

jazzcat
09-07-2007, 11:34 PM
Poor little guy. Prayers on the way.

krazyaboutkatz
09-07-2007, 11:53 PM
Kim, I'm so sorry to hear about Pouncer:( but I'm so glad to hear that you knew what to look for and caught his blockage early. I hope that his surgery will go well. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.

When I had Cirrus, he was only about 2 or so when he had his PU surgery and I also think that it was due to stress. I had him on the Hills C/D diet. I haven't heard from his new meowmie lately but the last time I heard from her she was just feeding him regular cat food and he was doing well even though he had gained back a lot of weight that I worked so hard to make him lose.

Storm had his PU surgery when he was almost 9 years old and the surgeon said that his urethra had a very small opening so it was only a matter of time before he became blocked. Since then I think he's only had 2 UTI infections and this past summer he was having some peeing problems due to stress.

He was eating Royal Canin Urinary S/O dry and wet but now he's on a grain free diet which had been approved by both my regular vet and my holistic vet. He's doing very well so far and even has much more energy these days. I feed him Innova Evo dry and a variety of other grain free wet foods that I add additional water to. All of my cats are now on a grain free diet and they're all doing much better.:) My holistic vet told me that it's the grains in the food that will cause urinary tract problems in cats.

K & L
09-08-2007, 07:15 AM
Good luck to Pouncer. We had this surgery on Porch and Scooter. It left both incontenient but doesn't mean that's the odds for all. Hope all of this goes well for all of you.

Freedom
09-08-2007, 07:30 AM
Prayers for Pouncer!

catnapper
09-08-2007, 08:06 AM
Good luck to Pouncer. We had this surgery on Porch and Scooter. It left both incontenient but doesn't mean that's the odds for all. Hope all of this goes well for all of you.
Oh no! I hadn't thought of that as a possible side effect, but it makes sense.... if the hole is bigger, will he be able to control the larger hole? Oh dear. :( But thankfully he lives in a home where he won't be tossed out for peeing everywhere. It won't be my favorite thing to experience but I will deal with it. Medical reasons for peeing outside the box is something even my hubby will grant a pardon for. :)

Thanks so much for the prayers guys. I can't wait to hear how the surgery went. I hope he gets it this afternoon so that he can spend the weekend safe in a cage before he returns home. I know he'll have to be isolated here too but I feel as if a few extra days there will be better for him.

jenluckenbach
09-08-2007, 02:36 PM
Still praying for Pouncer. And wanted to remind you that Rutherford also has had this operation, and we have had nothing but great recovery and no side effects. So keep the faith.

Catsnclay
09-08-2007, 03:00 PM
Oh Kim!!

I just saw this post about Pouncer! I am positive things will turn out just perfect for him!

With all these PT prayers how could it not??!!

Now that I know about this, I will keep looking for it.

Pouncer will be in our thoughts today!!

orangemm
09-08-2007, 03:03 PM
Praying for that dear boy; hopefully this will be the end of his problems.

When our RB Mikey had the surgery, he was young (younger than Pouncer) and he did so well. Never had another UTI or blockage, in fact he lived until he was 17 years old. And, never any accidents or incidents with the litterbox (and we had several other cats during his lifetime).

Keep us updated!!

Felicia's Mom
09-08-2007, 03:11 PM
I am sending prayers that Pouncer's surgery is successful. I also pray that Tuscan gets a good home.

catnapper
09-09-2007, 07:21 AM
Nothing to update.

I called the vet yesterday to see how he was doing and they said he's resting comfortably. They told me that Dr. J planned on doing the surgery after the normal day's appointments were done. I asked if she could call me after the surgery so I'd know how he did and if he woke up (waking up from the anesthesia is my biggest fear). I never heard from them and nobody answered the phone when I called. Its too early to call now, so I'll wait a few hours and try. I'm worried about my little boy :(

catfamily
09-09-2007, 12:15 PM
I'm saying Prayers for dear Pouncer.I knew this day was coming.And I have to tell you are doing the right thing.This will make any and all pain go away for him.I assume anyway.I'm happy this is getting done and can't wait for updates.
I know Pouncer is your favorite and he's a very lucky boy to have you and your family that loves him so much.
Prayers for Pouncer :)

rg_girlca
09-09-2007, 01:35 PM
Prayers and positive thoughts on the way for your precious Pouncer.

{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}} for you.

Barbara
09-09-2007, 03:32 PM
Sending all my best thoughts for Pouncer. I hope that the surgery will help. I think there are some kitties at PT who had it and got around very well after it.

jennielynn1970
09-09-2007, 03:41 PM
Hope Pouncer's surgery went really well! It was probably just a really long day for the vet, and they figured they'd call you today. He's a strong boy, he'll pull through it!

kimlovescats
09-09-2007, 04:35 PM
I'm sure he's fine, Kim! Please do post when you hear something though!

Hugs,
Kim

catnapper
09-09-2007, 04:49 PM
Still no word on Pouncer. I intended to call during work..... but it was so chaotic that I couldn't call til after 5:00 and they must have been long gone :(

You can be sure I'll call them 1st thing tomorrow morning.

Medusa
09-09-2007, 05:42 PM
I'm sure he's fine, Kim, or the vet's office would've called you. Hang in there, lots of prayers on the way for your boy and you. :)

Hellow
09-09-2007, 06:17 PM
Read the first part of my siggie.:)

lisalee
09-09-2007, 06:32 PM
Pouncer is in my thoughts and prayers. I hope you here some good news very soon!

phesina
09-09-2007, 07:00 PM
Prayers and good wishes and healing energies are being sent to Pouncer and to you. And more prayers that Tuscan will move in with the vet.

Scooter's Mom
09-09-2007, 07:29 PM
Sending prayers and healing thoughts to Pouncer.

from Scooter & Charlie, too!

krazyaboutkatz
09-10-2007, 12:42 AM
Kim, I sure hope that everything went well. If it didn't I'm sure that someone would've called you. Pouncer will be in my thoughts and prayers.

catnapper
09-10-2007, 08:50 AM
A little update on Pouncer:
He did have the surgery Saturday. He's just hanging out at the moment and the vet will call me when she's out of the appointment she's currently seeing.

Whew.... I can breathe a sigh of relief. I was very worried about my hissy boy. Allen apparently misses him. I was wakened by 20 pounds of orange cat insistent on getting pets. Allen never does that unless he's feeling lonely because his buddy's not here or he's locked in another room somewhere.

Medusa
09-10-2007, 08:56 AM
Atta boy, Pouncer!

catnapper
09-10-2007, 09:13 AM
Just spoke to the vet: He's coming home today!!!!!!

I work tonight so hubby will be picking him up, but he's coming home tonight!!! Woohoo!!

Now, what on earth am I gonna do with Tuscan?!?! :eek: Pouncer's going ot be isolated in Tuscan's room. Put Tuscan in the basement? He'll have much more room to roam, but no windows to look out and thats what he's always doing when I go to check on him. I can put him in Cam's room, but I can see it now..... Cam not sleeping at night because he's screaming for the kitty.

jenluckenbach
09-10-2007, 09:31 AM
WOO HOO!! for Pouncer.

catfamily
09-10-2007, 09:33 AM
Great news Kim...I'm so happy for Pouncer and You.
Pouncer is one of the first kittys I got to know when I joined Pettalk.I loved all the posts you did with him and I'm so relieved he did great with the proceedure.
No more worries for you.
After he heals...we'll want pictures :) :)

gini
09-10-2007, 10:46 AM
Kim, you must be so relieved. I hope Pouncer will be good as new now and you can relax a bit.

catnapper
09-10-2007, 11:28 AM
I've got his room all settled. He'll be camping out in my youngest daughter's room. I'm happy he'll have a room with a bed and window, and a hooman to sleep with at night. He does sleep with her a lot at night so he won't feel left out or anything. I think I'll have Allen spend the nights with her too, so he can have his buddy with him. As I said Allen missed him, so it'll be good for Allen too.

He's got a fresh water fountain, fresh litter box and a clean dish all awaiting his homecoming.

I wrote out a ton of checks for his release...... the vet tech asked if I was sitting down for the total. $930 including food and meds. Big Sigh. Whats money if you can't have the ones you love with you?

krazyaboutkatz
09-10-2007, 11:40 AM
I'm so glad to hear that everything went well and that Pouncer will be coming home today.:) You might need to confine him for a few weeks so he doesn't tear open his stitches or sutures. I bought a cage for Storm and it worked out very well. I hope that Pouncer will recover quickly and remain a healthy and happy cat.:)

jazzcat
09-10-2007, 11:58 AM
I'm glad to hear everything went well with his surgery and he is coming home. Wow on the amount but you are right, we do what we have to for the ones we love.

jenluckenbach
09-10-2007, 01:45 PM
Did they mention to use a litter like Yesterday's News?? I am sure they told me to use that because it would not stick to the inscision site.

$930 :eek: :eek: *faint* (but worth every penny)

orangemm
09-10-2007, 04:05 PM
Yes, Pouncer = Priceless.

So glad he is doing well and will be home with mom and his buddies! Hang in there lil guy, it will be better soon! :)

kimlovescats
09-10-2007, 04:22 PM
Expensive boy, huh? Glad he's coming home and doing well! Give him some gentle kisses and pets from me too!

Kim

jennielynn1970
09-10-2007, 07:19 PM
Can't wait to hear how Pouncer is doing. Big hugs coming his way!!

catnapper
09-10-2007, 08:54 PM
HE'S HOME!!!

YES, MY SWEET BOY IS HOME! Oh I can't tell you how happy I was to see him. I rushed upstairs as soon as I came home and hurt hubby's feelings because he wanted to talk to me.... sorry honey, Pouncer comes first!

Here's what I found when I opened the bedroom door: I saw a beautiful brown tabby talking to me in a meow I didn't recognize. Poor boy's throat has to feel raw from the anesthesia tubing :(

Next I noticed a brown tabby without an e-collar. Hmmm.... meowmie forgot her boy was Houdini regarding collars of any sort. Any ideas how we can keep the e-collar on so he keeps his sutures clean and in tact?

He didn't know what to do -- eat or give me lots of headbumpies. I could tell he was saying "Thank you thank you thank you" as he headbumped and purred and begged for chin scritchies. He was incredibly active considering the ordeal he just went through - I myself would be in bed for a week moaning and groaning. He was jumping up to reach my hand, running back and forth from me to his food, meowming his head off, and simply looking wonderful.

His "nether region" looks awfully sore and swollen. He's on a mighty dose of Clavimox and Low Ph Eukanuba food (which he LOVES). He'll be locked in my daughter's room for the next 2 weeks.... I don't know how long it'll take for him to decide to escape. He'll escape once he decides too :rolleyes:

He's definitely worth every penny (and thats a lot of pennies! :eek: )

krazyaboutkatz
09-10-2007, 09:06 PM
Kim, I'm so glad that he's doing so well and is now home.:) I'm suprised that he's this active already. Maybe he'll heal up quickly since he's still a young cat. Storm slept a lot but I think it was due to the pain medication. I had to make sure that the ties on Storm's e-collar were very tight so he wouldn't get out of it.

When I had Cirrus, he stayed in my parents bathroom until his stitches were removed. He also seemed to be very active and he also looked very bruised and sore but he healed up quickly. He managed to get out of his e-collar 1 day before his stitches were to be removed so he was able to have them removed 1 day sooner.;)

I'm glad that Pouncer likes his new food and I hope he heals very quickly. Good luck.:)

jennielynn1970
09-10-2007, 09:17 PM
Oh so glad to hear that Pouncer is home and so happy to see you!!! Yay!!! Sounds like he's recuperating quickly, and feels not as bad as he looks, which is wonderful!

Craftlady
09-10-2007, 09:25 PM
I glad to read that Pouncer's surgery went well and he is on the road to recovery.

Vermontcat
09-10-2007, 09:33 PM
I'm happy to hear that Pouncer's surgery went well and that he is back home again. :)
Give him a big hug from me!

Medusa
09-11-2007, 07:09 AM
What good news! I'm so glad he's doing well and you sound much better, too! As for the pennies, you would've spent it on something else not as worthy as your sweet Pouncer.

sirrahbed
09-11-2007, 09:42 AM
Good and happy news!! I am really glad that he is HOME. Isn't that a wonderful feeling?? Made me smile, too :D

kuhio98
09-11-2007, 10:55 AM
I'm so glad to hear that Pouncer is doing well. Fingers, paws and whiskers crossed that he "heals up and hairs over" (as my grandma used to say) very quickly.

Catty1
09-11-2007, 09:48 PM
{{{{hugs}}}} to Pouncer. I hope he heals soon!

I understand about all your post-dated cheques....but no more weekend emergencies (God willing) for Pouncer and you.

Pouncer, nawtee boy - keep your collar on! ;)

catnapper
09-11-2007, 10:13 PM
I spent some time with him tonight. All he wants is love. My daughter said she kept her awake all night last night with headbumps :D :p

He's NAWTEE. Any bets on how long he'll stay in the room alone? He's supposed to be quiet and rest. I was told he wouldn't want to do much anyway. hmmm.... he's jumping up and down from the top bunk bed. He's running around the room. He's doing contortions to get the e-collar off. I called the vet for advice and she laughed and said "why am I not surprised?" and told me he lives up to his name.

I have an appointment for next Tuesday to get the stitches removed.... will we make it? He's already running around like nothing happened and he's not even on pain meds. Its gonna be a long week for both of us.

Killearn Kitties
09-12-2007, 03:15 AM
Very glad to hear that our Pouncer is doing so well! :) I'm not sure how you are going to keep that boy imprisoned for so long though! :eek:

jenluckenbach
09-12-2007, 05:24 AM
Pouncer feels good! :D :D :rolleyes: