PDA

View Full Version : A dilemma.....Updated

Pawsitive Thinking
09-07-2007, 01:55 PM
Both hubby and daughter says its none of my business and I have no evidence but here goes....

My neighbours recently purchased two rabbits who shared a hutch for a while, then they separated them and bought another rabbit - each in their own hutch.

Looking out the window today I saw one of the hutches had not only an adult rabbit but who-knows-how many babies :eek: You don't have to be Einstein to work out what happened but what is bothering me is whether they have any idea how soon those little ones will start breeding.

I can't say that these animals are neglected but I am not convinced that they are being looked after as they should be and that the owners may need a prod in the right direction.

So, do I approach them in a friendly "I see you have some little ones" kind of way when I next see them to see what they say? We are on "hi" and "bye" terms but I have taken some treats round for their bunny that Duncan didn't like.

Or, do I keep my nose out as suggested by my nearest and dearest

This probably has no bearing on the story but they are a young couple with 3 small children (and another on the way by the look of it!).

Hellow
09-07-2007, 01:59 PM
So, do I approach them in a friendly "I see you have some little ones" kind of way when I next see them to see what they say? We are on "hi" and "bye" terms but I have taken some treats round for their bunny that Duncan didn't like.

I would do that then post on here what they say.

Karen
09-07-2007, 02:07 PM
Also tell them, in case they don't know, that rabbits will live longer, healthier lives if spayed or neutered. In females, it prevents ovarian cancer, which otherwise they are prone to get.

Chilli
09-07-2007, 04:05 PM
I think they might benefit from a nice, casual talk with you. :)
I don't think it would hurt anything.
Afterall, educating is the best way to help people take care of their animals.
I agree with what Karen stated, definately mention to her that altering a rabbit benefits their overall health.
Good luck!

Twisterdog
09-08-2007, 12:18 AM
I would say something. Just start out by saying, "Hey, I noticed you have rabbits! I used to have rabbits when I was a kid." Or whatever, it doesn't matter, just get the conversation going. Wouldn't hurt to go over on the premise of bringing them a plate of cookies, either. You always catch more flies with honey than with vinegar, so the saying goes.

Some people are not necesarily neglectful on purpose, nor are they stupid, they are simply ignorant. They honestly don't know.

Babyboonie
09-08-2007, 03:37 AM
Are the young couple approachable? I know you said that you are on "hi" and "bye" terms, but would oyou feel comfortable talking to them?

Something definitely needs to be said to them otherwise they are going to have an abundance of babies and I dread to think what they would then do with them.

Let us know how you get on if you do decide to go round and have a chat.

Marigold2
09-08-2007, 09:08 AM
Perhaps going over with some cookies and some rabbits treats such as fresh hay would make a converstation easier to start.

Hellow
09-08-2007, 09:17 AM
Some people are not necesarily neglectful on purpose, nor are they stupid, they are simply ignorant. They honestly don't know.

That sounded like me once. I had an rabbit called Halloween because he was black & i got it him October. I kept it instde in an cage. I fed him all of the right things & i let it out oo its cage every day when i was sitting on the couch watching TV because he would stare at the tv. I think he actually watched it. I was about 10 & i didnt know that you could alter an rabbit. I didnt know very much about him because i had no time to research him. He was given to me by my moms other friend whos other rabbits had babies & she had nowhere to put them. I kept him for about 4 months. Well, he now lives with my moms friend whos husband does magic tricks & shows.

mike001
09-08-2007, 09:38 AM
This might sound odd and be distasteful to bunny lovers here, but could these people be raising the rabbits to sell to grocers or for eating themselves?
No true bunny lover wants to think of this, but we did have people on the next street doing just that--raising rabbits for commercial profit. I know there are different kinds of rabbits and that these might not be the same kind, but my knowledge of bunnies is limited to different ones in pet stores or children's pets. Karen would be the one to know the answer to this I think.

Pawsitive Thinking
09-10-2007, 03:49 AM
To be honest Mike I think they are just clueless...

Have decided to pop round in the next day or so with some rabbit treats that Sir Duncan doesn't appear to like....will take it from there

Babyboonie
09-10-2007, 04:17 AM
Good luck Denise!!

Pawsitive Thinking
09-11-2007, 05:03 PM
I bumped into him this evening when I was walking the dogs - he said they have 4 babies that they can't find homes for....will take treats round in the next few days but am planning on a word with my vet tomorrow to see what he advises. As I said, clueless but not unkind

Pawsitive Thinking
09-12-2007, 03:54 AM
Had a word with my vet when I took Duncan down for his second vaccination and was able to give my neighbour a telephone number for the local rabbit rescue as well as a booklet on rabbit care :D

A small step but one I'm glad I took

kimlovescats
09-12-2007, 07:56 PM
Good job and no hurt feelings! ;)

mike001
09-12-2007, 07:58 PM
Better clueless than unkind. I guess that offers some relief.

DrKym
09-12-2007, 08:20 PM
Wish years ago you had been my neighbor..........would have learned faster and with less animosity. Not all who are trying to help truly know. Glad to know you were willing to help in a non-confrontational way Good on ya!:)

Pawsitive Thinking
09-13-2007, 03:52 AM
I've also found that walking two dogs always attracts the interest of children so I try to answer their questions - I'm a one-woman educational programme!!! :rolleyes: