PDA

View Full Version : What would you say???

jennielynn1970
09-06-2007, 11:02 PM
Ok, so I'm sitting in my house, and I have my front windows open (I live in a row home, so it's close quarters), and the theatre interns next door are walking up their steps and I hear "... neighbor, god, she's got like 11 million cats! Something doing with rescuing them?" and laughing. :o :o

First of all, I do NOT have 11 million cats. I don't even have 11 right now!! Secondly, who the heck do they think they are making comments about me when they just moved in 2 weeks ago and are so snotty, they don't even say hi?! :mad: I'll say hello, my neighbors say hello to them, and they just scurry into the house and mumble what I think may be a hello.

I'm not some scary, white trash person living in the barrio for god's sake! I'm a school teacher!! I have a nice house, a nice front porch with hanging flower baskets, a porch swing, and a small bowl of dry food for the stray kitty I've been feeding. There's also a carrier on the other end of my porch you can hardly see that is there for shelter for him.

These girls will be here, maybe until December, or if I'm luck, haha... until May of 2008. All depends on the theatre they intern with.

I'm just really offended and annoyed that some girls, they're younger than I am anyway, are making these comments, and they have no idea who I am.

Do I say something? Do I write them a note/letter?? Do I say nothing at all, but yet curse at them under my breath?!

I just really annoyed that they would so snide, and rude, and not even think about the fact that first, my windows are open and they're walking in front of the houses, and 2ndly that they don't even know me or my cats (all 11 million of them!).

kt_luvs_kitties
09-06-2007, 11:42 PM
Jenn, I would ignore the snots. They sound snooty anyways, so no love lost. Keep your mind on helping cats, not some little brats who talk crap, but dont care about anyone but themselves.

Give um nasty looks, and ignore them ;)

Karen
09-06-2007, 11:49 PM
I'd write them a brief, but not unkind note, introducing yourself, and saying

"No, I don't have 11 million cats, I don't even have 11! But the other coment I overheard was right. Besides my full-time job as a school teacher, I do volunteer work witha cat rescue organization. As a matter of fact, I even have one cat I am fostering who was flown here from Bahrain. I know you're new to the neighborhood, if you are away from home and cats that you miss, you are welcome to visit with mine some time. But don't ask to pat the Bahrainian foster - she has teeth and knows how to use them. However, if you need a ferocious beastie for one of your theatre productions, Ally'd fit the bill!"

That way, they both know the truth, and know that they were overheard, and can choose to either be friendly, or at least keep their mouths shut next time.

Fuzzybuns
09-07-2007, 12:25 AM
Me? I would probably find every piece of literature I could on fostering and leave them on their front stoop.
Oh, or that poem thing on being a foster "purrson" and why it's so needed.

Maybe invite them in for some lemonade and to meet their fuzzy neighbors. While introducing, say something like "Well, I may not have 11 million but I do what I can. Too bad there aren't more willing souls to share the love."

G535
09-07-2007, 01:10 AM
Life's too short to be wasted worrying about what other people say or think, ignore them! :)

Donnaj4962
09-07-2007, 07:24 AM
I agree with what Karen suggested! We have to remember that not everyone loves kitties as we all do! (I know, hard to believe, isn't it..... they have no idea what they are missinf!)

Sounds to me like they need a lesson on neighborly etiquette, and the note may be the best way to help them.

I wouldn't worry too much about them though.... one of my favorite sayings...."What goes around comes around."

Freedom
09-07-2007, 07:41 AM
Maybe invite them in for some lemonade and to meet their fuzzy neighbors. While introducing, say something like "Well, I may not have 11 million but I do what I can. Too bad there aren't more willing souls to share the love."

I like this idea. Make a friendly overture. You DO have to live next door to them for a bit. They sound shy and nervous being where they are. Once they are in, then just by seeing you and the cats they are getting an education!

pitc9
09-07-2007, 08:04 AM
Ohh... I would be upset too.
I would have to let them know that I hear what they said!
Just think about how bad they'll feel once they know you heard what they said!
(I'm rotten... I know! :o )

Maybe when you see them ouside (or watch their door and wait for them to come out ;) ) You could say "I couldn't help but overhear your conversation about me the other day, and I just wanted to clear a few things up...then what Karen said... I don't have 11 million cats and I foster...etc."

AbbyMom
09-07-2007, 08:10 AM
Life's too short to be wasted worrying about what other people say or think, ignore them! :)

What she said. Certainly they aren't the first that have said something snotty about your cats, just the first you've overheard. Many people say mean things all the time. Ignore them all and you'll be happier.

jazzcat
09-07-2007, 09:39 AM
I'd probably just ignore them. They don't sound like they wish to be very social with the neighbors and you know they are only going to be there a short time. Probably not worth the time or effort to try to change their opinions or ideas.

sirrahbed
09-07-2007, 10:50 AM
I really like Karen's note idea. It might feel good to actually DO something rather than try to ignore it and feel hurt and angry inside. When I was a young snot, I probably would have said something similar :o If nothing else, the note could be a slight nudge to one or both of the girls to grow up a bit! You will win out, see? One of them may be a future cat crazylady :D

kuhio98
09-07-2007, 11:08 AM
Life's too short to be wasted worrying about what other people say or think, ignore them! :)Amen! Pick your battles. This isn't one worth going to war over. Just get busy living your life and not worrying about them. People often say unkind, unthinking remarks. You can lead by example by just doing what you do. Don't be surprised if they let you know about a kitty that needs help one of these days.

catmandu
09-07-2007, 03:01 PM
I Get That Sort Of Comment All The Time,mostly Inthe Vein Of The Fat Crazy Cat Man. What I Dont Like Was When They Were Spreading Rumoes That I Was Stealing Cats , When In Fact The Animal Welfare And I Were Rehoming The Ones That We Could Help.
And Providing A Mericful Passing To The Rainbow Bridge For Those That We Couldnt.
But You Can Fight Ignorance And Mean Spirited Goons, I Just Go On With My Life As A Fat Crazy Cat Man.
And Proud Of It!!!!!!!!!!!1

jennielynn1970
09-07-2007, 07:08 PM
They just ticked me off really bad!! It's not been a great week, emotionally, for me, and just as I was kinda picking myself up off the floor, I hear that last night.

I've had to deal with immature, nasty commenting teachers at school who go to the principal to complain that the library isn't open and their kids can't get books yet, when it's not even my fault! I can't help that the district got a new system, and it doesn't work correctly and that my barcode reader can't read any of the flipping barcodes!!! It's frustrating enough as it is thinking that I'll have to re-enter every one of the 16,000 books that I have by hand!! Then, these teachers go and make snarky comments to the principal cause they don't have their 20 mins. of book time this cycle. I don't know what they want me to do when I'm just the messenger, and going an "tattling" to the principal isn't going to help because he knows the entire situation. The teachers in my building are worse than the kids they teach!!

So, after dealing with the the teachers, who don't view a librarian as a teacher, even though I have my master's, then I sit and am trying to relax and just not think about it, and I hear the the snooty theatre girls next door. I know they think they're above everyone in the neighborhood... they're actors you know. :rolleyes: I've dealt with these interns since their company started renting the house. I'm tired of their parties until 4am weekdays, and the cigarette butts all over the porch, sidewalk and in my mulch by the road. They're slobs, and snobs, and it just was one insult more than I could take!

Ok.... Drama queen time over I think. This is so not like me.

columbine
09-07-2007, 10:35 PM
Amen! Pick your battles. This isn't one worth going to war over. Just get busy living your life and not worrying about them. People often say unkind, unthinking remarks. You can lead by example by just doing what you do. Don't be surprised if they let you know about a kitty that needs help one of these days. Yeah - they were probably still just getting acquainted, and falling back on us vs. them pettiness in an attempt to try to forge a bond. It has nothing to do with you, and you deserve better than to be wasting time and energy on them.

Love, Columbine

Maya & Inka's mommy
09-08-2007, 04:13 AM
would right them a friendly note and invite them for tea. Then, once you've got them in your house, I would let them feel I overheard EVERYTHING they said about you. Haha, wish I could see their snotty faces then, lol!!

I am sure that once they know you better, they will "behave" better :rolleyes: :D

Medusa
09-08-2007, 04:54 AM
First of all, they're young. Second, they're theater people w/a propensity towards drama anyhow. (I have a background in theater and I can be that way myself at times.) But back to point # 1, they're young. Younguns don't think before they speak. Life will teach them a thing or three. I know that people gossiped about me, especially when I rented my previous home and had 8 indoor cats and 27 outdoor cats that I was housing, feeding, etc. until I found homes for them. I had a cleaning crew come in when I bought his house and one of the women said to me "How many cats do you have?" and I explained the situation to her and she said "Oh. Well, that's really nice. Too bad there aren't more people like you. The scuttlebutt is that you're a witch." So I wouldn't let these girls get to ya. It's doubtful that they even remember saying anything and if they did remember, they wouldn't understand why you'd take offense. Just be your kind, sweet self and let their words roll off your back. As long as they don't harm your furkids in any way, you're alright. :)