PDA

View Full Version : Close encounter of the arachnid kind-bug video added post 26

ChrisH
09-06-2007, 09:43 AM
This morning, after getting dressed I was in the bathroom brushing my hair when in the corner of my eye I thought I caught a glimpse something on my shoulder reflected in the mirror. Looked again, nothing, but sort of half turned to check ...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/9.gif .. there, on my shoulder was a huge .. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/2.gif

I sort of half screamed and half shouted and ran out onto the landing pulling off my top and throwing it as I did so.

On, very gingerly, picking the top back up I could see the spider was still on it, shook it but it wouldn't budge. Took it downstairs and outside (pulling on a t-shirt before I did so, didn't want to frighten the neighbours :D ) I sort of angled the top against a cupboard I have out there so the spider would walk off, and it did.

Guess I'm going to be checking my clothes before I dress in future. ;D

p.s. the best of it is I really like spiders and am not normally nervous around them. :rolleyes:

Pam
09-06-2007, 10:09 AM
Chris you are a nicer person than I am. I absolutely hate spiders. I probably would have held the shirt under water until the horrid thing drowned. :eek: I just don't like things that crawl on me. Your little spider thingie even gave me the creeps. :eek: :p

Hellow
09-06-2007, 10:17 AM
Hey, i have an pet spider. an small, non-poisonous spider named blackie!

RedHedd
09-06-2007, 11:33 AM
Spiders are good luck! Go buy a lottery ticket! :)

CathyBogart
09-06-2007, 01:06 PM
Hehe, I'm not normally afraid of spiders either but I almost caused an accident one day when one swung down on a strand of silk in front of my face while I was driving!!

ChrisH
09-06-2007, 01:18 PM
Chris you are a nicer person than I am. I absolutely hate spiders. I probably would have held the shirt under water until the horrid thing drowned. :eek: I just don't like things that crawl on me. Your little spider thingie even gave me the creeps. :eek: :p
Oh, I'm not a nice person, believe me. :) I just hate to kill any creatures. The majority just go about living their lives and doing no deliberate harm, which is more than you can say for the human race. Just my opinion. :D

ChrisH
09-06-2007, 04:23 PM
A relative has made its way on to a wall in my living room. :) (It's the same size as the one that was on my shoulder.)
click if you dare! :D
creepy crawly warning (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Miscellaneous/spider.jpg)

lizbud
09-06-2007, 04:37 PM
Well, I dared and I looked & it's creepy looking alright. :eek:

If I found one on me, I'd be more upset that just seeing one in the doorway
or something. They serve their purpose in the world I suppose. :)

Donnaj4962
09-06-2007, 04:38 PM
OMG! :eek: :eek: :eek:

If THAT thing was on my shoulder, I would have screamed and maybe even peed my pants!

Now I don't know my spiders, but that looks dangerous.... like a brown recluse or something. (Of course, I am also frightened of snakes and would think that a garder snake was a rattler! ;) )

I would be looking for a nest soemwhere!

Can ya tell? I don't like spidies!

Cinder & Smoke
09-06-2007, 04:39 PM
">>click<< if you dare!"

:eek:

<gasp>

The Dogs are gonna have to dial 9-1-1

Sevaede
09-06-2007, 04:52 PM
That DOES look like a brown recluse! :eek:

ChrisH
09-06-2007, 05:10 PM
It's just an ordinary house spider, albeit one of the big kind. Autumn is mating time and the males are all pretty busy running around looking for a mate. Who am I to get in their way. :D

anna_66
09-06-2007, 07:24 PM
I would have absolutely FREAKED OUT :eek: Just seeing the picture gives me the heebee jeebies!

Pam
09-06-2007, 07:32 PM
I can't believe I was brave enough to look! Chris I would have been afraid to lay the ruler down next to it for fear that the spider would run over and jump on my hand. :eek: :p :D Can you tell I am afraid of those things? :eek:

Once, years ago when I was a teenager, (OK many years ago when I was a teenager :p ) I walked up our front walk and right through a huge spider web that was built between two evergreen trees. It was huge and felt like rope as I walked through. I ran inside and starting stripping off my clothes even before I was in the privacy of my bedroom! :D :D

mike001
09-06-2007, 07:33 PM
It's just an ordinary house spider, albeit one of the big kind. Autumn is mating time and the males are all pretty busy running around looking for a mate. Who am I to get in their way. :D

Pretty cool statement.....I have never seen anything so scary looking, spiders out here aren't that big. I cannot stand spiders of any kind...yuck.

catnapper
09-06-2007, 08:34 PM
Oh dear --- I would have been screaming so hysterically that the neighbors would have been prompted to call 911! :eek: :eek: :eek:

One of my coworkers liberates all the bugs in the store. Last week a wasp was stuck in the store and he spent all afternoon trying to coax it down from the ceiling region onto a piece of paper so that he could release it outside. I had a customer a few hours later who saw in on the ground and promptly squashed it. My poor coworker was heartbroken!

K9soul
09-06-2007, 09:09 PM
It looks like a hobo spider (or else a brownish grass spider, they can look similar). If you google that it'll come up with a bunch of images. They can actually get pretty big and they build funnel webs in corners and crannies. I remember when I was a lot younger and still living with my mom in Missouri, I was picking up a towel to dry my hair and in the mirror I saw a big spider running across the back of the towel. Lemme tell you that towel went flying :D. I don't mind seeing them if I know they are there but I don't like being startled LOL. I love the little spider emoticon in your first post, really added to the story :D.

jennielynn1970
09-06-2007, 09:39 PM
OMG... if that sucker would have been on MY shoulder, I think the whole block would have heard me scream! That's an ordinary house spider?! Where is this an ordinary one, because I really don't want to go there!!! I've seen little tiny spiders that jump when you put your finger by them, but besides daddy long leggers, that's about it!

Lately, I've been seeing centipedes... those suckers that look like huge eyelashes. UGH! They freak me out!! They move so fast, and they just give me the creeps!

Taz_Zoee
09-06-2007, 11:34 PM
I can handle spiders, better than my BF and a bunch of girls I work with, as long as they are NOT on me. That would have freaked me out so bad!! I also can't stand crickets or grasshoppers because they can JUMP on me!! ICK!!

G535
09-07-2007, 01:18 AM
We have huntsman spiders here that grow to 4 - 5 inches and up in the tropical parts there are tarantulas and bird spiders which are a Lot bigger! Huntsmans are found in most houses near us.

Here's some information and photos of the big guys: http://www.amonline.net.au/factSheets/huntsman_spiders.htm

crow_noir
09-07-2007, 02:31 AM
YEaaeeeeeeeeeee!!!! Egads! :eek:

Those things are creepy. I like to look at them outside, but i keep my distance.

p.s. for what it's worth... since everyone else is stating what they think it is... It looks like a type of Garden spider to me. ...maybe just because of how stretch looking the front legs are... other than that it looks like the unidentified window spiders that i call Guardian spiders. (long story... but as much as those creep me out... I like having them around. They've done me a few favors.) It actually looks like a mix between the two from around here.

A relative has made its way on to a wall in my living room. :) (It's the same size as the one that was on my shoulder.)
click if you dare! :D
creepy crawly warning (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Miscellaneous/spider.jpg)

crow_noir
09-07-2007, 02:38 AM
OMG, S.O. is sooooo afraid of those... and they're one of my favorites. I used to feed them when i was younger.

It looks like a hobo spider (or else a brownish grass spider, they can look similar). If you google that it'll come up with a bunch of images. They can actually get pretty big and they build funnel webs in corners and crannies. I remember when I was a lot younger and still living with my mom in Missouri, I was picking up a towel to dry my hair and in the mirror I saw a big spider running across the back of the towel. Lemme tell you that towel went flying :D. I don't mind seeing them if I know they are there but I don't like being startled LOL. I love the little spider emoticon in your first post, really added to the story

crow_noir
09-07-2007, 02:42 AM
What freaked me out more was the parasite on the one in the last picture! :eek:

I felt so sorry for the one with the wasp parasite on it. :(

We have huntsman spiders here that grow to 4 - 5 inches and up in the tropical parts there are tarantulas and bird spiders which are a Lot bigger! Huntsmans are found in most houses near us.

Here's some information and photos of the big guys: http://www.amonline.net.au/factSheets/huntsman_spiders.htm

Killearn Kitties
09-07-2007, 04:39 AM
Oooo, I had one in my bath yesterday morning just like that! As a rule, spiders don't bother me, although I would be concerned that one on my shoulder would run down my neck. :eek: I could do without that.

ChrisH
09-07-2007, 09:09 AM
YEaaeeeeeeeeeee!!!! Egads! :eek:
Those things are creepy. I like to look at them outside, but i keep my distance.
p.s. for what it's worth... since everyone else is stating what they think it is... It looks like a type of Garden spider to me. ...maybe just because of how stretch looking the front legs are... other than that it looks like the unidentified window spiders that i call Guardian spiders. (long story... but as much as those creep me out... I like having them around. They've done me a few favors.) It actually looks like a mix between the two from around here.
It's definitely one of the house spiders we have here in the UK, harmless and common.

ChrisH
09-07-2007, 09:24 AM
Seems as if my house and it's environs have become bug & creature city this year.
First the annual ant invasion with a difference, bigger and more numerous, and then the giant beetle type bug in my kitchen, creepy crawly bug in a jar (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Movies%202/?action=view&current=bug-1.flv) and thirdly, the slugs, of which there have been an amazing amount.

Nicer ones were: seeing a real dragonfly for the first time and a second smaller one a few days later who obligingly stayed still and waited whilst I went and got my camera. (I'll put a link in case anyone feels they are also creepy crawlys). dragonfly (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Miscellaneous/df.jpg) Another nice one was being buzzed by a -rare as I found out later- butterfly as I was hanging out the washing. It flew by me a few times then landed on the window pane for me to have a good look, didn't stay long enough for me to grab my camera though.

The next nice one for me, but I suspect not for others, was seeing some bats flying around the front of my house. I stood for a while in my garden, just watching. Amazing acrobatics.

Finally, the nasties, wasps. Being stung whilst working in the garden one day was not pleasant and then there was the nest outside my bedroom window. I had to get someone out to get rid of it because it was dangerous being so close to where I sleep. Then yesterday there was a one (a wasp) in Ebby's 'apartment' and today one in the living room. :mad: Not one of my favourite creatures to be sure.

Where will it all end I ask myself. :D

Pawsitive Thinking
09-07-2007, 09:27 AM
Yikes :eek: