PDA

View Full Version : new glasses

sirrahbed
09-06-2007, 08:33 AM
Remember Catnapper's thread (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?p=1894578#post1894578) about the place to order spare eyeglasses?

I had to try these for myself also.

I used a millimeter measuring tape and took all the dimensions from my favorite pair and ordered a spare that are nearly the same style plus a different style just for fun. The Optometrist mailed me my Rx and pupil distance. I have bifocals but want to go back to a single lens because I only use them for movies and driving. I have never liked the reading bifocal and do not need it to read. I can't imagine how they could make a bifocal though - they are so hard to get just right in person.

$25 for two pair including the shipping :) I got one "cheapo" for $8 and then popped for an "expensive" pair...$12.95 :p Will wait and see how they look when they arrive!

*update* the glasses arrived - less than two weeks with Labor Day in there, too. Like Kim, I am rather pleased!! They came with nice hard cases and microfiber cleaning cloths. I have to say that the $8 is flimsy. They look great but the wire frames are very thin. BUT perfect for keeping next to the TV. The prescriptions feels spot on and I already love not having that bifocal. The *expensive* :D pair seems to be the same quality as anything I have tried on in the optical shop. It has the springs in the earpiece to make them flexible, nosepieces very sturdy - I really like them!! I am going to order another pair with tinted lenses for sunglasses to keep in the car.
Oh and want to see me? ;)
The first - rectangles are new to me - they are silver. I have never worn that shape but I like them. #4197 these are my *expensive $12.95* pair!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/sirrahbed/ovalglasses.jpg

The second - ovals are $8.00 pair, a pink frame and very much like what I already have been wearing. #4100
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/sirrahbed/rectangleglasses.jpg

catnapper
09-06-2007, 08:50 AM
LOL Debbie!!! :D :D :D Glad you tried it and are happy with the results.

I ordered two more pairs from them too and got them last week.... I LOVE the one squarish pair. LOVE them. They're better and more comfortable than my expensive ones from a regular eyeglass store. I spent $22 for my last order and am thrilled with both pairs. I made a huge mistake on my first order by clicking the smaller sized pair -- MY STUPIDITY :o -- but the 1st order showed me how nice their product was.

Isn't that website addictive? I have to stop myself from ordering a hundred pairs in different colors to go with my mood and outfit :p Logic dictates a person does NOT need several pairs of glasses.... most people would claim one only needs a single pair of glasses ;) But now I have my funky red plastic ones and "normal" ones for every day use. I like the plastic ones for laying in bed to watch TV, I don't worry about them bending out of shape.

I'm going to upgrade to thinner lenses next time I order. Their standard lens is the same thickness as my upgraded JC Penney pair... so how thin will the upgrade be with this website? :eek: I don't need any more glasses any time soon, so I'll wait til next year after I get my eyes rechecked ;)

catnapper
09-06-2007, 09:02 AM
Ok, Since Debbie is brave, I'll post my new frames too.
This is the round pair in what they called burgundy. I think these might be the same pair Debbie got! :D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/kasdesign/RounPair.jpg

and here are the blue square ones. I can not tell you how much I love these glasses!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/kasdesign/SquarePair.jpg

Flutter wanted to know why I was kneeling on the floor in front of the desk so she got photographed too.... much to her annoyance. :p

sirrahbed
09-06-2007, 09:09 AM
Kim - I also love those squarish frames on you!! They look great and very stylish. :D Oh and why do your pics look like portraits and mine look like smiling mugshots? ;)

Sirrahsim
09-06-2007, 09:11 AM
They look so nice!! The rectangular ones are my favorite but that is probably because that is the shape that I wear. It's crazy that you can get good quality lenses for so cheap!
I may need to buy a pair just for the thinner lenses! My rx is approximately -7.5 and -6.75 so my lenses are always super thick. I bought $160 lenses with this last pair of glasses and they still look like coke bottles. It would be interesting to see what my lenses would look like from this place.

RedHedd
09-06-2007, 11:27 AM
OK, now you're tempting me! It took three tries to finally get a prescription that worked for me this year, which means I'm left without a back-up pair with my current Rx. Debbie, I'm with you - I dumped my bifocals many years ago when the frame styles got too small for my prescription to even be possible to make. I have a distance pair with magnetic polarized sun glass lenses and a reading pair. I kinda like having two pair, although sometimes I forget and walk around with my reading pair and wonder why things look wonky :rolleyes: Silly me.

sirrahved
09-06-2007, 11:50 AM
As soon as I get my new prescription I'm ordering more than one pair! I never thought I could afford a wardrobe of glasses!

jennielynn1970
09-06-2007, 09:45 PM
Where is the link for this glasses place?? I missed the original thread, and mine are really expensive because of my astigmatism.

Cincy'sMom
09-06-2007, 09:48 PM
Where is the link for this glasses place?? I missed the original thread, and mine are really expensive because of my astigmatism.

Yeah, I 'd like the link too. I couldn't make up my mind when I got my new glasses earlier this year, and at those prices I could get a few "funkier" styles I was considering just for fun!

Editing...Link to the original thread is in the first post. I missed it!

sirrahbed
09-06-2007, 09:50 PM
Zenni Optical (http://zennioptical.com/cart/home.php)
Here ya go :)

jennielynn1970
09-06-2007, 09:53 PM
Duh... I just saw the link in the first post, lol. I realy need to pay attention!!

Cincy'sMom
09-06-2007, 10:14 PM
Okay, question about reading my perscription. I got the Right eye, pretty easy. Left eye I have an astigmatism and I'm not sure where the numbers fit in on the order form

My Scrip says OS -225-125x110

catnapper
09-06-2007, 10:17 PM
I think the first number is the OD-SPH, the second number is the OD-CYL, and the third number is the OD-AXIS. You'd know if you had to p[lug in a nhumber for the OD-ADD. You will really need to know what your pupil dim is. I asked my doctor. I was a 60, which is smaller than what they say is normal.

kimlovescats
09-06-2007, 10:39 PM
You both look great in your glasses. I just bought Amy Beth some new glasses at Wal-Mart but paid LOTS more than this. Darn!!!

Debbie, you are dwindling away, girlfriend! What is your diet secret???? PM me!!

shais_mom
09-06-2007, 10:57 PM
that's friggin awesome! :D

shais_mom
09-06-2007, 10:59 PM
Debbie so you used the zenni optical also right?! ok
but what is your vision like? I have 6.50 in my left eye and 4.50 right eye - and they can fit these? I guess what throws me off is where it says - regular or extra stregnth prescription
I don't have my prescription - I have to have an exam - but just wondering when I get it - my frames from walmart cost $80 five years ago - so this is a lot cheaper - I'm just wondering about the lens?
:confused:
thnx! :D

shais_mom
09-11-2007, 10:57 AM
well I had an eye exam yesterday and got my script from walmart -
they didn't have all the info on the paper so I just called them back and don't think they were overly keen on giving me the info but I managed to get it. I'm just going to order the $9.95 pair with the $5 upgrade and see how they work, if they work out then I'll order another pair. This makes me nervous, and I don't want to order 2 pairs and get suckered.
:p

sirrahbed
09-11-2007, 11:09 AM
my lenses are OD -1.50 -1.00x120 and OS -1.75 -1.25x084 and pupil distance 54.5 so not too strong I guess? My eye trouble is macular lesions that make blind spots - the right eye has only peripheral vision so I really have NO IDEA what the numbers mean in my prescription. I still love the glasses I bought from Zenni and wear them every time I go anywhere or watch tv. My old "good" pair is now my spare :)

be sure to measure the temple piece, nose piece and frame width on a pair that fit uou well. I learned that my face is almost as small as a child so I needed small frames.

If you guys order - let us hear from you OK? :)

ps I went in to Walmart for my scrip and they acted a little put out, too :cool:

shais_mom
09-11-2007, 11:15 AM
how did you get them to accept your lower than average pupil distance? choose a smaller set of frames?
my PD is 25.5OU so that is 51 for both eyes. And it won't let me chose it b/c it is lower than the average.

sirrahbed
09-11-2007, 11:21 AM
how did you get them to accept your lower than average pupil distance? choose a smaller set of frames?
my PD is 25.5OU so that is 51 for both eyes. And it won't let me chose it b/c it is lower than the average.

hmmmm...it lists 35 - 90 for the pupil distance when I select the frames I bought...and I just picked 54 or 55 for mine. I guess this means for both eyes? I did not know if it was small or not. Maybe the frames you picked might be too big for the small PD? :confused: I know that both frames I picked were described as "small".

shais_mom
09-11-2007, 11:22 AM
:confused: that's what I thought so I chose small set of frames and they are still telling me that and that its probably an error.
their phone is busy (zenni) so i emailed them. I really want to order CHEAP frames - even walmarts prices are a rip off!

Cincy'sMom
09-13-2007, 06:33 PM
That's funny that Wal-Mart seems to be bothered by giving out a prescription...Sears gaveme a copy when I had my eyes axamined, and I just called to get the PD. They had no issue at all looking it up for me.

And now I'm off to do some shopping.....

EDIT: I'm getting error message instead of the page. I wonder if we have missed our oppertunity?

jazzcat
09-13-2007, 10:16 PM
I'm interested in trying this but my eye dr. will not give me my prescription. I've asked twice in the past and both times they are firm that they will not release prescriptions, company policy. We have to go to this group through Richard's work insurance (which we pay for and they hardly cover anything but the eye exam). Shoot!

sirrahved
09-13-2007, 10:38 PM
I'm interested in trying this but my eye dr. will not give me my prescription. I've asked twice in the past and both times they are firm that they will not release prescriptions, company policy. We have to go to this group through Richard's work insurance (which we pay for and they hardly cover anything but the eye exam). Shoot!

Is that legal?

Sirrahsim
09-13-2007, 10:46 PM
That is completely illegal. They are required by law to provide you with a copy of your RX immediately upon completion of your exam. I'll try to find some resources specific to Tennessee for you :)

Sirrahsim
09-13-2007, 10:56 PM
This one is from California but it is a rule set up by the FTC so it applies to all states. They aren't allowed to tell you no. That's ridiculous of them!
http://www.optometry.ca.gov/laws_regs/eyeglass_prescriptions.pdf

And on page 17 of the Tennessee state guide below is the legal mumbo jumbo that says that they have to adhere to all federal statutes regarding release of prescriptions:

http://tennessee.gov/sos/rules/1045/1045-02.pdf

sirrahved
09-14-2007, 06:42 AM
The website is up again, for those of you interested!

jazzcat
09-14-2007, 11:50 AM
This one is from California but it is a rule set up by the FTC so it applies to all states. They aren't allowed to tell you no. That's ridiculous of them!
http://www.optometry.ca.gov/laws_regs/eyeglass_prescriptions.pdf

And on page 17 of the Tennessee state guide below is the legal mumbo jumbo that says that they have to adhere to all federal statutes regarding release of prescriptions:

http://tennessee.gov/sos/rules/1045/1045-02.pdf
Thanks for looking that up Missy. It looks like for TN they only address contact lens prescriptions.

Edit - I just called my local Lenscrafters and asked them if there was a law and the manager told me that legally my optometrist is required to give me my prescription and that they get prescriptions from him all the time. Wonder why they wouldn't give me my prescription in years past? Well they will be giving it to me when I go in for an exam in Nov.!

Sirrahsim
09-14-2007, 12:08 PM
yay :) Glad to help