PDA

View Full Version : shedding

suandjames
09-05-2007, 11:40 AM
We have two purebred Ragdolls, truly adorable creatues. They are both almost a year old. We have noticed that they shed more than usual back in the beginning of this Spring. Very recently they started to shed a lot! Their fine hairs float around in the air and it is becoming very hard to breathe and we began some allergic reactions to their hair. We clothed them with some doggy T-shirts, which they surprisingly liked and the problem seems to ease down a bit. Still, it is quite painful. Is this normal for Ragdolls or is there something we might have missed? When we decided on Ragdoll, it was claimed to be a moderate shedder. Any help with this matter? Jae in Houston

buttercup132
09-05-2007, 12:43 PM
Brush them?

If not I guess you could always resort to shaving them.

RedHedd
09-05-2007, 02:04 PM
Regular (daily) brushing and get a shedding blade and use it regularly. It's normal for cats to shed in the Spring; not sure about end of summer, although I'm noticing Mitzi is a bit more sheddy right now. I'm getting out the shedding blade right now.

Medusa
09-05-2007, 02:29 PM
I've not had experience w/ragdolls but I have 3 long hairs and one of them, Specs, can just walk through a room and his hair floats everywhere. I have a glove w/little nubs on it from the pet store that I "pet" him with and it helps to keep the hair down some. That and daily vacuuming. Ugh.

catmandu
09-05-2007, 04:18 PM
A Slicker Brush Helps A Lot And Long Haired Cats Need Grooming On A Regular Basis So Thier Skin Gets Air .
Good Luck With Your Furry Companions.