PDA

View Full Version : What do you do to celebrate Halloween?

petslover
09-03-2007, 05:39 PM
When I was a kid, Halloween was a big deal in my hometown. We used to go go haunted houses, trick or treating, & much fun. We had a blast.

Now, it seems Halloween is extinct here.
Last year, I made cute little halloween bags to give out to the kids & we had 0 turn out.

Now theres really nothing to do here Halloween wise.

What do you do for Halloween?

luvofallhorses
09-03-2007, 05:40 PM
this is kind of an early thread. :p we don't do anything. it's just another day for us. :)

petslover
09-03-2007, 05:42 PM
Well, Halloween is only next month.

Stores are already putting out merchandise. Thats where I got the idea for the thread.

Alysser
09-03-2007, 05:46 PM
I go trick-or-treating with all of my friends. :)

chocolatepuppy
09-03-2007, 06:24 PM
Tia, in my town we have a cake walk. Everyone parades around in their costumes and they give out prizes. Oh and of course cakes if you win one! I used to really do up trick or treating at my house until the city made the time longer. Too much stress with the dogs. Now I don't even decorate my front porch, but I do decorate in the house. I love Halloween! :D

NicoleLJ
09-03-2007, 06:29 PM
We decorate and dress up(even the dogs. lol) and we give out candy and the kids go trick or treating after school. After supper time hubby takes the kids to teh town halloween party. So it is a lot of fun.
Nicole & Sheena & Puppies

Taz_Zoee
09-03-2007, 06:31 PM
Two years ago we went to the Halloween Store and picked up a few things to decorate the house. Well that snowballed and my boyfriend went all out. So each year we totally decorate the house, every room, and have a big party.
As for trick-or-treaters ON Halloween night, we do not get very many visitors. Just the neighborhood kids, and there's not too many of them.
And at my work we always dress up and have a costume contest. :) Last year a bunch of us all dressed up as different characters from The Wizard of Oz.

jackie
09-03-2007, 06:44 PM
I love Halloween, I usually dress up and go out to some nightclubs with girlfriends. There are no tricker-treaters over here unfortunantly!

I would love to be able to fly to my parents house in Canada, but I say the airfare for Christmas time. I wish it was more celebrated over here!

Freedom
09-03-2007, 06:54 PM
Halloween was loads of fun when I was a child. We dressed up and went from house to house for blcoks and blocks! One family did a haunted house thing where you walked in one door, went through a lot of scary stuff, ended up in the kitchen with the table covered with treats and cupcakes and drinks and then you went out another door and off down the street some more.

It just isn't as safe now and fewer children are permitted to go door to door. Parties are safer, parents know who the children are with and who provided the treats.

Still, here at my house, we get about 70 children each years and it is SO much fun! I LOVE answering the door and giving out treats. One year I gave out toothbrushes, he he. Kids grimaced, parents hollered THANKS! from the street! :D I try not to give too much candy, it isn't good for them and Dad and I sit and eat it between door bell ringings. I stop and shut the light at about 7 or so. We get car LOADS of kids from neighborhoods in another city (to be nameless), and they are teens and tough. To me, it is a fun time for the younsters.

Some folks make stunning costumes for their little ones, I enjoy seeing them. Every now and then I squat down at the door (only the top half is screen) and pop up and say BOO! when they reach for the doorbell. I'm not in costume or anything. I terrified one little 4 year old girl last year though, so I have to remember what size is coming up the walk before I do that! She ran screaming out to her mom in the street, dropped her bag of goodies. I felt awful, went out and helped pick up. The mom was fine with it, thought I was hilarious and calmed her daughter down.

This will be my first year with the dogs here, should be itneresting! The cats, well, I just closed them in bedrooms so I didn't need to worry about escapes. But the bell makes teh dogs bark. Hmm, need to work on that!

This is not too early if you don't do candy but order stuff form Oriental Trading or such as I do! Time to make up those orders and get those . . . toothbrushes???? Hmmmmm.....

Blackrose
09-03-2007, 06:58 PM
Since we live out in the country we don't get anyone trick-or-treating. And since we would have to drive all the way in to town to go, our tradition is we each get a bag of candy and my mom buys a new movie for the family to sit down and enjoy together. It is fun! :)

Kalei
09-03-2007, 06:58 PM
I always get excited for Halloween. I think its because of all the fun memories from when I was a kid. But now I don't really do anything, being 20 years old I and my parents feel I am too old to go out trick-or-treating. So I mainly stay home and hand candy out to kids while watching Charlie Brown's Halloween:)

luvofallhorses
09-03-2007, 07:49 PM
oh this year I am celebrating Halloween by going to the doctor. ;)

Edwina's Secretary
09-03-2007, 08:01 PM
I get lots of trick or treaters....living in a subdivision. I hang a skelton, jacko'lantern...all kinds of decoration. Of course...the E's have holiday appropriate (Edwina anyway....) attire. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It is odd to me that it isn't nice and cold...but...oh well!

columbine
09-03-2007, 09:23 PM
I love to go Trick-or-Treating canned food for the homeless shelter! People always give us bucketloads of candy too.

But lately I haven't been able to find co-conspirators for that, so instead I go "mumming." This involves dressing in ridiculous outfits made of paper shopping bags and cheap props. To be the swooning heroine, one must ideally possess a large beard. Last year I got to be the dead horse, with a real horse skull on a pole that I could clack its jaws on cue! We then put on silly plays script-in-hand in the middle of the road, usually involving a sword fight and a quack doctor who brings the loser back to life, with much heckling, forgetting of lines, and shouting jokes at cars who dare meander across the "stage."

Either way, while Samhain is a very special holiday for me on many levels, I'll jump on any chance to clown around in silly costumes.

Love, Columbine

Tollers-n-Dobes
09-03-2007, 09:50 PM
I never did like Halloween much. I used to go trick-or-treating when I was young because my Dad wanted me to, but now I just stay home and do whatever I would normally do on a regular day.

BitsyNaceyDog
09-03-2007, 10:43 PM
I'm looking forward to dressing Nathan up this year. I think he's going to be Batman, we haven't gotten his costume yet though. Since he's too young to go trick-or-treating we'll just dress him up for fun and pictures.

Karen
09-03-2007, 10:53 PM
We hand out candy - I usually dress up a little - have a mask or some sort of costume, nothing too elaborate. And we have had changes in the neighborhood dmographics, so will probably have lots more trick-or-treaters this year, just very young ones!

cmayer31
09-03-2007, 11:59 PM
I love Halloween! :D Growing up we always dressed up and went trick-or-treating. It was so much fun with the dry wind, tumbleweeds, and everyone getting into the mood with haunted houses and great costumes, and candy of course.

Now we just decorate the front of the house with a smoke machine and strobe lights, and then wait for all of the kids to come around.

The weekend before is the annual Halloween desert trip with a lot of night riding, music, and good friends camped out in the dunes.

Flatcoatluver
09-04-2007, 12:41 AM
I used to go trick or treating when I was younger at my grandparents. I loved it, just because I got to visit them, didn't really care about the candy. :p

We live in the boones so we don't get any treaters, which if fine. Zoey would get very spooked by the treaters.

Suki Wingy
09-04-2007, 01:03 AM
I'm being Tonks. I already have my hair dye and parts of my costume. I'm going all out and actually hand making my costume this year. It'll be a mix of movie!Tonks and book!Tonks. :)
Of course I'm wearing the full costume to school. Only about half the kids in our school dress up but this is my senior year so there's no way I won't. Halloween is one of my favorite days of the year. It's an excuse for cosplay since all of the good conventions are far away from me. ;) :p

My little cousin has asked my to go trick or treating with him so I guess I'll be there. Our house usually gets about 2 kids that aren't our neighbors who are over at our house almost every day anyway.

moosmom
09-04-2007, 09:05 AM
I prepare by turning all the lights out and sitting in the dark till the doorbell stops ringing. :p

animal_rescue
09-04-2007, 09:51 AM
I LOVE Halloween it's absolutely my favorite Holiday ever. We always go to haunted houses(real and fake) along with anything else we can find. A tradition is to visit Posey Chapel and this year we're going to go to Amish Acres(which isn't far from us at all) instead of the pumpkin patch.

KittyGurl
09-04-2007, 09:56 AM
Get dressed up, go trick or treating with my friends. The best part is getting my grandmom's cat in a devil costume.

Miss Z
09-04-2007, 12:22 PM
Hallowe'en is often looked down on over here as an unnecessary import, but I personally believe it to be a benefit to kids everywhere. I certainly remember loving dressing up and then eating all my sweets afterwards when I was between 3 and 10 years of age. Of course I don't go any more, but I expect my younger brother will be doing so this year.

According to the UK news, trick-or-treaters are rising in number each year, but I think its popularity is decreasing certainly where I live. I recall having a knock at the door every minute of so a few years ago, now we're lucky if we get one an hour. Maybe we've run out of kids? :p

We don't do much for Hallowe'en, really, just a pumpkin outside the door for us. We used to have a Canadian family living nearby who dug up their entire front lawn and turned it into a graveyard! And also another neighbour, who happened to be a policeman, dressed up as a robber.

CathyBogart
09-04-2007, 12:42 PM
The last few years on Samhain I've gone to parties with my boyfriend and his brothers. They're always just so-so, so I'm hoping something better comes along this year.

Jasper's not much for dress-up, but he DOES have an adorable set of bat-wings which he'll let me put on him. :D

Suki Wingy
09-04-2007, 01:57 PM
Oh, I intend on knitting or sewing a costume for Niņo. :) I'm thinking of decking him in a suit of armour. (because I can't have my own armoured team of neapolitans pulling a jewel encrusted cart) :p :D

critter crazy
09-04-2007, 02:01 PM
We usually take the kids around town Trick or treating, we cant go in our neighborhood, as it is thecountry side, and most people arent around, as they ave gone to town as well. After trick or treating, we go to our church, and have a big party with tons of food and games. We usually have a fabulous time. The only bad times we have is when it is Snowing!