PDA

View Full Version : I think Teddy and Baby need a new home.

buttercup132
09-02-2007, 06:50 PM
First off not looking for bashing. I was just thinking about it.
With school and everything starting up they aren't getting the time they need.
I got a new job offer that takes up so much of my time and then I have to balance in my bf (who also doesn't come over to the house because he works till late and is on house arrest at 9) and school. I just don't feel they are getting the attention they should be like they used to get. Like Kali said in her thread about Kishii the cats are easier cause they aren't caged and dont need to be let out and constantly watched.
It's my last year of school and I have to get all my manditory credits done in one semester. Then I will also be moving out soon and I don't see how I will be able to afford the two cats and 2 rabbits.
Again I never said I was re homing them yet or anything I was just putting it out there as a thought because I feel bad that I dont have the time for them.

Aspen and Misty
09-02-2007, 07:44 PM
It's a hard decision to make. I know what you mean though. Rabbits are truly a hard animal to properly care for. They need more time and energy then dogs or cats.

When I return to Gerogia in about a month I will be moving out on my own. I have 2 dogs, Nova and Konnor who I will be taking with me along with my rabbits. However, my friends little sister (she is 8) is watching my bunny Jaxom for me while I'm in Alaska. She takes such good care of him and emails me weekly to tell me about all the fun things they are doing. Her parents help her take care of him and they say that she is so responsible and is now telling them when he needs something (food, water, litter changed) instead of the other way around. They have been so responsible not allowing her to open the door without her parents there. They have been jokingly saying that when I get back they are going to move so I can't find Jaxom. Either way they know that when I come to get him they are going to get a bunny. I have been honestly considering allowing them to keep Jaxom. With Sharra, Julian, Nova, Konnor and my job taking so much of my time I know he will find everything he needs in them where with me he may not get all the attention or love he deserves. It breaks my heart to think about not having him there with me daily, but I've been trying to think about what is best for him not me.

Anway, thanks for letting me go on and on like that in your thread. I just know what you are going through, it breaks your heart but at the same time you just want them to have everything they deserve.

Ashley

IRescue452
09-02-2007, 08:42 PM
We know you've only got your animals' best interest at heart. Caged animals really are more difficult. Its tough to find time for my rats sometimes because they need to be watched like toddlers. Perhaps you have a safe room you can let the rabbits have time in, like a bathroom? Invest in a playpen of sorts?

Blue Dragonfly
09-02-2007, 10:17 PM
argh, if u were near me in australia i would gladly take them off ur hands. especially teddy. adorable teddy.

Blue Dragonfly
09-02-2007, 10:37 PM
i was just looking at ur site again, and i was just wondering what that coloured stuff on your Spyhnx's claws is. are the Spyhnx's the only ones with it on?

Kalei
09-03-2007, 09:16 AM
Hey Alicia! I'm really sorry to hear that you may have to rehome them. But as you said, its better to do what is in the best interests of the rabbits instead of yourself. And if you think they would be better off in a home that can give them the attention they need, then it is great that you are thinking of them and their needs.

I know when I was told by my parents and also thinking that she could use a better home, I didn't jump right into it either, I still kept my Kishii and just thought "well if she is meant to have a better home, then someone will find me that is truely a great home for her." And lo and behold a guy from my church was interested in her and he has a lot of bunnies and doesn't work, he is at his house 24/7 with his bunnies. I was soooo happy to have found him as a home for her, cause now I know that she is being spoiled rotten.

And now my life is alot easier and less of a hassle too because I don't have that big worry of making sure I give her enough attention or not. And now that parents are off my back:p But luckily I can go and see Kishii whenever I want:)

I know that you will make the right decision.

buttercup132
09-03-2007, 08:00 PM
Wow thanks guys for understanding. Now I guess I know why so many end up in shelters (not that I'm taking them to a shelter or anything). Last year it was fine and even at the begining of the summer. I would go out back and tan and read but then they dug a hole through the back fence and Teddy got out and there is a highway on the other side of the fence. After that scare I didnt bring them out there anymore. I think they would just do alot better in a home where they could have a room to themselves or have a huge outside pen (that they could not escape from).
I tried the bathroom but they just sit in the corner cause they don't like the tile floors. I wish we had a spare room that they could just live in.
They are also both super sweet and I think they could teach little kids to respect animals. Teddy likes to be held and licks, Baby likes to be held and petted but he is a bit of a pain to catch.

Hellow
09-03-2007, 09:51 PM
Hellow. I understand too. I know that an good pet owner knows when to give up their animal and i believe you are one of them.:)

Zippy
09-04-2007, 09:52 AM
I know you will do what is in the best interset of Teddy and Baby.Caged pets are harder to care for and aren't like cats and dogs who can have free rome.

buttercup132
09-04-2007, 01:40 PM
I put up a ad. I'm not in a rush to re home them so I'm just seeing what replies I'm going to get.

critter crazy
09-04-2007, 01:53 PM
Hey, sometimes it is whats best for the animal. This is how it was when I re-homed my two bunnies. At the time, I wasnt looking for a new home for them, but when My friend lost her bunny last X-Mas, I knew that she had so much more time, to offer than I did. It would be best for them. She loves the bunnies, and is ever so greatful to have them. They get to run around her house, they get plenty of attention. Much more attention, then I could ever give. I felt I made the best decision, even if it was un-planned.

Alicia, I am sure you will find them a wonderful home. Good Luck, and keep us updated.:)

buttercup132
09-04-2007, 04:37 PM
Thanks everyone for being so understanding.

I got a email from a lady who said she wanted me to deliver them 2 hours away! I replied saying sorry thats too far and I'd like to see them interact with you first and vise versa to make sure everyone will be happy.

Then I got a second e mail from a second lady saying this.

our familly would love to take to take both of your bunnies, I kept bunnies all of my life until I left for college and would now like to give my boys the same pleasure. I have a beautiful huge new enclosure that just needs some friends to move in. Please get back to me.
She sounds nice. I asked her if she would like to come and bring her kids to meet them again so I can see how everyone reacts to each other. I'm very portective of them and who they go to. It has to be a perfect match.

Kalei
09-04-2007, 04:44 PM
Wow, its good that there are nice people replying to your ad already:) Maybe this lady will come and be a great home for Teddy and Baby? Keep us posted, I'm glad that you won't give your bunnies out too easily, that shows that you really love and care for them, and it shows the buyer that you won't just give them to anyone:)

Freedom
09-04-2007, 06:54 PM
What a decision to make, so glad you recognized that maybe they needed a different situation. You shoul feel free to ask people for references, from a vet for example. Although if she has no pets now and hasn't for a few years, she won't be able to provide one. But ask, which vet would she use? Best wishes for the interview process!

buttercup132
09-04-2007, 08:58 PM
Thanks for the advice Freedom.

She emailed back and said she'd love to come bring her kids and she only lives like 10 minutes away from me. What a coinsidence seeing as I listed my post for a city I live a hour away from.

jackie
09-05-2007, 04:50 AM
Hard decision to make, good luck with it. I just hope we don't see any new bunnies within a few months.

buttercup132
09-05-2007, 06:22 AM
I just hope we don't see any new bunnies within a few months :confused: If I'm re homing them because I have no time for them why would I go out and get more?

Twisterdog
09-05-2007, 11:49 PM
For most of my life I had caged animals ... rodents, reptiles, birds, etc. At some points in my life with some pets, it was fine. But, honestly, the reason I don't have them anymore is time they took - cleaning the cage, trying to spend enough time with them. It is a huge time commitment to do it right. And if you aren't going to do it right, it's best not to do it at all, IMO.

The only thing we have now in a cage is one little snake, and he would MUCH prefer we never touch him or take him out of the cage. So that's fine. But when he's gone, I will never get another caged animal. At least not until all the kids are grown and gone, and probably until we retire and have lots of time.

Rehoming an animal because of changes in life circumstances is sometimes unavoidable, and sometimes best for the animal. Of course, like jackie mentioned, hopefully anyone that has to do so will learn from the experience and not repeat it.

buttercup132
09-06-2007, 05:19 PM
Well the whole family came to meet them, there was mother father and the two kids. They were all soooo nice and sweet. They said I can come over and see them any time and they will keep in contact with pictures. Baby really liked the one kid and went right up to him and hopped in his lap and the mom was so excited she said she wanted to just get them home and watch them play. They have a huge insolated inclosure outside for them to play in during the day and a inside enclosure for the night. They are going to be so much more happy.
I'm glad for them but I'm still upset to see them go:(

carole
09-06-2007, 06:48 PM
Wow you are so lucky to have found such a special home for them, and to beable to visit them is the icing on the cake eh? you have made a mature decision and the right one from what i can see, I am just super happy there is a good ending to the story.love them happy endings don't you?

buttercup132
09-06-2007, 09:28 PM
Ya:) Apparently they live not even 5 minutes away, so I could probly even walk there.

Flatcoatluver
09-07-2007, 12:31 AM
Sounds perfect, I know that must be so hard though. (((HUGS)))

Babyboonie
09-08-2007, 03:29 AM
Such a hard decision to make Alicia and if I'm totally honest, one that I have considered myself for my two bunnies. Circumstances have changed for me since I originally got them (got married, new job extra responsibilities etc) and I also feel that I don't get to spend as much time with them. Plus, in order to give them a run out in the garden (they are outside rabbits), I have to take them either round to my parents or to my parents in law as our garden is too overgrown. This is something we are working on but it is having the time, money and weather to be able to do it..unfortunately it is not a small job. Also the two bunnies are no longer together, they used to live in the same large enclosure but unfortunately started to fight etc so on advice from the vet, we had to separate them before one of them got seriously injured - this of course makes putting them out in the large run difficult, as we can only have one of them in it at a time and although I get on with my parents in law, I certainly don't want to have to spend all weekend round their house!! Plus I feel it's unfair that they only get to have a run round at the weekend as I'm working all week and certainly do not have time to run them round to someone else's garden, who then in turn feels that they can't got out as the bunnies need supervising.

It's such a hard decision to make. For the interest in the rabbits I feel they should go to new homes where people can love and care for them and provide them with the attention they deserve, rather than a very quick hello in the morning and evening which is just about long enough to feed them and give them a quick cuddle. However, although i'm 26, married and own a house etc, my parents will still look down on my decision. They are very much, "if you get a pet, you look after it always until it leaves you" which to some extent I am too....but when it inhibbits the animals life, surely you have to make a sacrifice?

Sorry Alicia, I didn't mean to go on....but any views from anyone would be gratefully received.

Marigold2
09-08-2007, 09:13 AM
I think you made a brave and wise choice. You did what was best for the bunns. Luckly animals can be at times given to others to care for.

Not so easy with humans. I wish more people thought about having a baby before they went ahead and did it. Life changes, especially when you are young and on the move.

Alysser
09-08-2007, 09:57 AM
Alicia, sometimes we have to put our own wants aside for the welfare of the animal, and that's EXACTLY what you did. I think this was the most unselfish decision, and the best one for the situation. I am glad they got a good, new home. :)

Argranade
09-08-2007, 01:29 PM
I'm glad they got a good home near you. :)