PDA

View Full Version : Crate Training a Litter of Puppies Update

NicoleLJ
09-01-2007, 03:43 PM
As you all may recall I posted a little while ago about how I am crate training a litter of 6 puppies. Here is the link to the thread to remind you:

http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=132495

Well this training of mine has gone very well, even with the interuption of me being in the hospital when we first started it. Now we are at the point where all the puppies sleep in their own crate 3 times a day and through most of the night. They wake up on average of 2-3 times a night for a potty break and a quick bit of exercise and then right back to sleep. So for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours in the morning, 1 1/2 to 2 hours in the afternoon and 1 1/2 to 2 hours in the evening then most of the night they are sound asleep in their crates. Always after a long run outside as a group. Usually about 45min- 1 1/2 hours of play depending on the time of day. I will post some pictures of their outside play sessions, plus a video a little later. Here are some pictures of them crashed out in their crates side by side.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/NicoleLJ_2003/FS1A.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/NicoleLJ_2003/FS1B.jpg

We are at teh point now that when they are not sleeping in their crates the crate doors are left open so that while they are out they can run in and out of their crates at will. None of them have yet to have an accident in their crates so that is going well also. They no longer are in teh whelping box. We haven't used it in days.

This is going to make things so much easier on the adopters. I know it does for me. They will have no problem putting them on a schedule for potty training and so on now.

So that is the update. Just wanted to let you all know how the training was going.
Nicole & Sheena & Puppies

Romance
09-01-2007, 05:32 PM
wow. my pups sleep right through the night in their crates. no mess in the morning and no waking up in the middle of the night. must be because mine spend so much time outside playing that they get tuckered out.

Lady's Human
09-01-2007, 07:58 PM
Glad to hear everything is going well. Don't forget.....take care of YOU too!

NicoleLJ
09-01-2007, 08:15 PM
Thanks LH. I am trying my best to. I am lucky to have a very helpful daughter who is old enough to help a great deal and a 2yr old son who is on what we call Potty Patrol. lol He lets us know when their is a potty problem to clean up so I am not having to constantly be getting up and down to check. PLus with my family helping out so much I am getting to relax more. Two of the pups will be leaving in a few more days for their new homes so that will lighten the load a bit. Agian thanks.

mike001
09-02-2007, 09:06 AM
wow. my pups sleep right through the night in their crates. no mess in the morning and no waking up in the middle of the night. must be because mine spend so much time outside playing that they get tuckered out.

By six weeks they do sleep throught the night. I remember one pup I had to pick up at six weeks because of health issues with the breeder, too young, I know, but that pup cried for the first 2 nights, we ignored, third night I wrapped a clock in a towel and never heard a peep. After that it settled down and slept through the night....never had a mess in the mornings....most pups won't dirty their dens.

Romance
09-02-2007, 12:17 PM
what are you doing for socialization nichole? The pups right now are at their ideal time for it.

Danegirl2208
09-02-2007, 01:46 PM
Glad to here everythings going well Nicole! :)

NicoleLJ
09-02-2007, 02:27 PM
Glad to here everythings going well Nicole! :)

Thanks Danegirl. It is a lot of work but I am happy with how it has all turned out. The hard part is this coming week when the pups go to their new homes. I will miss them all so much.

NicoleLJ
09-02-2007, 04:15 PM
Thanks. Since we did it progressively instead of suddenly the crate training was much easier and not nearly as stressful for me or the pups. The stressful time is coming soon when they go to their new homes.

Vela
09-02-2007, 05:52 PM
Great to hear things are going so well for you Nicole! You have done a great job with these pups despite what you have been dealing with personally.

Romance
09-03-2007, 09:48 AM
ok I'll ask again.....what are you doing for socialization Nichole?

mike001
09-03-2007, 12:26 PM
Romance, you are a bit out of line asking twice. Nicole read your post and chooses not to answer, I think because you already know the answer. If the pups were socialized it would have been posted on here same as every other tidbit she posted. Hence...you have the answer.

NicoleLJ
09-03-2007, 12:42 PM
Romance, you are a bit out of line asking twice. Nicole read your post and chooses not to answer, I think because you already know the answer. If the pups were socialized it would have been posted on here same as every other tidbit she posted. Hence...you have the answer.

EXCUSE ME??!!!! These pups have been extremely socialized along with every other detail I have covered. You have no right to say they have no been when you are not here and have not seen all the work I or everyone else has done. I have not covered every detail in all my posts of everything I have done with these pups because I frankly do not have that kind of time. I cover as much as I can so my friends can enjoy their development. Nicole & Sheena & Puppies

mike001
09-03-2007, 01:06 PM
.....Sigh....I was trying to calm Romance down so she would quit asking you the same question over and over. Besides, I'm supposed to be on your ignore list and I didn't think you would read the post I sent her.
Everyone knows what you have and have not done with the pups, don't fret about it.

I had asked if you were going to post all the adopters reports on the pups so the members can keep track of the pups for awhile...was wondering why you didn't include an answer with your post???

Vela
09-03-2007, 01:14 PM
LOL.

Don't let them get to you Nichole, they aren't worth it. Just let it roll off your back as best you can, not worth getting upset over them. You know why they are here. Don't worry about it.

NicoleLJ
09-03-2007, 01:18 PM
LOL.

Don't let them get to you Nichole, they aren't worth it. Just let it roll off your back as best you can, not worth getting upset over them. You know why they are here. Don't worry about it.

Thanks. Been a long day and it is only noon. Ugg. I am dreading this week with my babies going to their homes. More then I can say. But I will try better to follow your advice. Just with all teh other stress and my babies leaving too it is getting hard.
Nicole & Sheena & puppies

sasvermont
09-03-2007, 01:23 PM
Nicole, you are one of the best moms out there! What the heck is with those goofballs saying such stupid things.

Your puppies have had the best treatment and training. You have done such a wonderful job and have allowed us to watch nearly every moment.

I would love to have one of your puppies. They are the best.

(((((((((((((((((((Nicole)))))))))))))))) :D :cool:

Alysser
09-03-2007, 01:27 PM
Nicole, it doesn't matter what they say. We all know how much you love these pups and what lengths you go to make sure they are properly raised. Don't let to party poopers ruin your fun here at PT.

Romance
09-03-2007, 04:03 PM
I didn't think it was a problem asking what she had done for socialization...it was an innocent question that she could have answered easily... that is if she actually did do socialization.... from a breeding perspective its a very basic question one that most buyers ask their breeders.

Vela
09-03-2007, 04:36 PM
I'm sorry Nicole, I enjoy your puppy threads and I'm tired of them getting ruined. I will take my own advice to you! I will just try to ignore the unpleasant people and pretend they aren't here. You are doing a great job with the babies.

It's just not worth my time to worry about their comments and continued threats to post things and say things and whatever. Let the bitter be bitter, don't let it get to you. I know you are going to miss your babies when they go.

NicoleLJ
09-03-2007, 04:41 PM
I'm sorry Nicole, I enjoy your puppy threads and I'm tired of them getting ruined. I will take my own advice to you! I will just try to ignore the unpleasant people and pretend they aren't here. You are doing a great job with the babies.

Thanks. You, as you know, is not the problem. I post my threads to my friends so they can enjoy them, watch my pups grow, maybe see a way I can improve(gotten some great advice about stacking young pups from posting my threads) and maybe someone will learn from me too.

With my health and my unborn babies health at risk it really shows me how low people can go to continue this kind of harassment when it is well known I am not suppose to be dealing with any type of stress. So instead of allowing it to affect me I am choosing to ignore it. All of it. I have proven I am a good and caring breeder and that is enough. And my friends here, including you, are a huge help to me in this very stressful and worrying time. So thank you so much for your support.