PDA

View Full Version : And the Diagnosis Is......

4 Dog Mother
08-31-2007, 08:21 PM
Ww still have no clue! Due to a sleeping problem - that is the fact that I couldn't stay awake while working or driving (which became the real problem), about 2 months ago I had a sleep study done and was told I have sleep apnea which means I quit breathing quite a few times during the night awakening me but not enough that I am aware of it and keeping me from getting the rest I need. So I was given a machine to use at night that forces me to breathe all through the night. After a month I went back to the doctor to be told I also have restless leg syndrome. I was given a medication to deal with that. Six days into the medicine, I started to have a pin prickling feeling in all my fingers. Then it went to my toes. After some research, it was found that that could be a side effect of the medicine, so I quit taking the medicine.

A couple of days later I started having severe back and chest pains. Since my family dr. is in Toledo, I had Amy take me to the ER in Toledo. They did some x-rays, couldn't find anything and sent me to my family dr. My family dr. was out of town so I saw an associate. She ordered some blood tests and gave me some pain meds and anti-inflamatory medicine. That was two weeks ago today. I had a miserable weekend - nothing seemed to take the pain away. On Tuesday evening, the 21st and the day of the flood here in Findlay, I could take it no longer and Carl took me to the ER in town - I was there from 8:30 pm - 3 am. They did blood tests, x-rays, ekg, and cat scan for blood clots. They found nothing. Nothing they gave me took the pain away. About 1 they gave me morphine and after an hour when it did not help they gave me two vicadens. I am not sure the pain went away but I sure did! They sent me home with major pain killers and to follow up with my family dr.

The next day Carl took me to Toledo to the dr in Toledo - still not mine cause she was still on vacation. But this one said some of blood tests showed that I was anemic and the rheumatoid factor was up. She gave me a shot of steroids, put me on prednisone and set up an appointment with a rheumatolgist. Twenty years ago, I had a flair up of rheumatoid but after a few years it went into remission. The day after the shot, I felt wonderful - I thought the problem had been found. But the next day, I was back where I started. I used the meds to get me through the weekend until I had the appointment with the rheumatoid speciallist. I was so sure that was going to be the answer and he would have a magic pill to make things better.

But after an examination and discussion, he does not feel I have rheumatoid arthritis. He ran some more blood tests but doesn't feel that RA was going to be the answer. By now my dr. is back and I was able to get into her that afternoon. None of the symptoms add up to anything. The tingling in my hands and feet don't go with the pain in my back, chest, upper stomach/esophagus area. More blood tests, an ultrasound and that is where we are now. No rhyme or reason to the pain. Sometimes the meds help sometimes they don't. I have one good day and then several bad ones.

I see the dr. again on Wed. Hopefully some of these tests will show something but I am not too hopeful. But they haven't run out of ones to run. Next will come an emg to see how my nerves are involved since the numbness, prickling sensation is still there. They may have to look into GI stuff - and thebn who knows.

I have had gall bladder trouble for several years (years ago) before I had it out. I have had kidney stones. I have had a hysterctomy. I know what pain is but I have to say this is the worst I have had for so long of a period.

Pray for me that we find out what the heck is going on. The pain meds make it very hard to do anything. I haven't been to work in two weeks - but then the church was flooded with sewage and it is just getting to the point where we can get back in.

Thanks to all who have been concerned. Diana

joycenalex
08-31-2007, 08:25 PM
thanks for the update diana,i've been thinking of you

chocolatepuppy
08-31-2007, 09:07 PM
I'm sorry you're having this pain and the doctors can't seem to find out why. :( I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers Diana.

Catty1
08-31-2007, 09:18 PM
I had NO idea...Diana, I really hope they find the answer soon!

I hope it could be as simple as a crazy allergy to something!

I just got a new book from Reader's Digest...and it says that a bar of Ivory soap (plain soap) under your legs helps the 'restless' stuff...it has something to do with magnesium. Apparently if a person isn't getting enough magnesium, the restless syndrome can result. I think of this because you mentioned anemia.

Just a thought - you might want to see a nutritionist and have a look at what you eat, in case you need more of something or a really good vitamin/mineral supplement.

Get well wishes here! HUGS.

Cinder & Smoke
08-31-2007, 09:42 PM
Herrow, God??

Hi God ~

Did'Ja know Grammy Diana is feelin bad?
Are Ya WERKIN on it??

Seemz like NUNbuddie knows what'zup ... Nuffin makin her feel any better. :(
Kan You find her a White Coat that KNOWZ what ta do fur her?

And kan You check da Pain Machine? --- Seems like it's set kinda HIGH fur such a Nice Lady ...
Maybe You kuld turn it down a notch or two ... be 'preciated!

Better keep da Sekond Shift onna Prayer Line ... gonna be a LOTTA Calls comin in till
our Grammy is "fixed up" an feelin GOOD again!

We'll mention to her FurKids that this would be a great time to
BEE-Have an lissin to Mom the FIRST time! ;)

THANKS fur Your Help, God!
FEEL BETTER SOON, GranMaw!

/s/ the Prayer Pups

Dorothy39
08-31-2007, 09:56 PM
Oh Gee, 4 Dog Mother~ :( You have certainly been going through such a tough time!!!!!! I hope and Pray that a diagnosis is "cornered" soon~

{{hugs}}

shais_mom
08-31-2007, 10:45 PM
You've been on my mind a lot.
Thinking of you!
definately sending prayers and lots of love!

krazyaboutkatz
09-01-2007, 12:17 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that you're in so much pain and not feeling well.:( I hope that the doctor will be able to find out what's causing this and that it can be easily treated. Please take care.

Karen
09-01-2007, 01:01 AM
Sorry to hear you haven't gotten a diagnosis yet. Paul is currently dealing with a flare-up of something he's had - now that he thinks of it - since he was 13. And it only took 30 years - yes, 30 - to get a diagnosis that seems right. He's started medication for it, that he'll take the rest of his life, but that can cause a flare-up in the first 6 months that you take it. Any of you who remember him having ankle problems - well, finally we found out it is gout.

Diana, I hope they find a cause - and then something to fix it - for your "mystery" in less time than Paul's diagnosis took!

anna_66
09-01-2007, 05:58 AM
I've been thinking a lot about you and wondering if you'd started feeling any better. Sorry to hear the answer is no:( I sure do hope you can get down to the bottom of this soon. It really sucks to be in pain all the time.

Lots of prayers being said for you Diana.
(((HUGS))) until I see you tomorrow and get to give you real ones!

ChrisH
09-01-2007, 07:05 AM
I am so sorry to read of your pain and lack of diagnosis. Prayers going out for the pain to ease and the reason & cure to be found very soon. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/Hugs2.gif

jackie
09-01-2007, 07:36 AM
That sounds like it would be very hard to live with. I hope that you can get diagnosed and helped asap.

Lots of hugs coming your way.

Freedom
09-01-2007, 10:27 AM
Oh goodness what a time you've had. I am sorry to be reading this and to learn that the diagnosis is still unclear.

As for pain, maybe Neurontin would help you with that. Being in pain should be the first priority for them to relieve that for you. THEN work to figure out the cause. Prayers on the way!

lizbud
09-01-2007, 10:47 AM
I am glad you posted an update on how you are doing as I was thinking
about you last evening. It does sound like more than one thing wrong. It
would be harder to find several things at once.It could be some nerve
inflamation or disorder that affects nerve endings. :confused: I am so sorry
you are going through this & pray the Drs. can pin this down for you.You
will be in my prayers for a complete recovery soon.

crow_noir
09-02-2007, 02:58 AM
*hugs*

Oh none of that is ever fun.

Due to all the typing i do and stuff I've been developing carpal tunnel syndrome. A few months back i thought it was getting REALLY bad. If my elbow got touched in the slighted my arm from the elbow down would tingle and hurt something fierce for anywhere between a half hour to over 24 hours. (there was numbness too. hard to explain how something can be numb and hurt at the same time. I had no sense of touch, but the pain was enough to make me cry.) I was thinking it was from resting my elbow on the table when i typed. ...but it wasn't stopping. What did stop though were new episodes of shows on TV. ....turns out it was the way i was sitting to watch TV!

May you find out what it is that is causing you problems.

cyber-sibes
09-02-2007, 08:42 AM
Gosh, Diana, that sounds like a miserable batch of symptoms! i hope that now that your doctor is back, she will be able to help you find out what's wrong, and hopefully get you some relief in the meanwhile. Hang in there, there is an answer. Lots of prayers heading your way from the East. I hope you feel better soon.
So sad about the flooding, I'm hearing from Findlay friends how awful it still is. One friend I worked with even lost her home (on Third St.).

Rachel
09-02-2007, 05:48 PM
Diana, having you been taking any kind of medication (other than the one for restless legs)? I experienced quite a bit of muscle and joint pain from statins. It came after I had been on them for some duration, so initially I did not put it together. Neither did the three doctors (internist, cardiologist and othopedic) that I saw for the problem. It was only after I went off of them and the pain eventually subsided that I confirmed the connection. I'm not suggesting you go off of any medication on your own, but consider the possibility, even if you have been taking something for a long time.

The tingling in the hands can also be from statins, or as has been noted a carpal tunnel problem. I've had very good success from wearing wrist braces at night (although I'm not sure if that is what they are called).

Rachel
09-05-2007, 02:52 PM
Diana, just wondering if you got to see the doctor today and what if anything is the next step in finding a diagnosis. Maybe since you wrote you are feeling better????

kimlovescats
09-05-2007, 03:06 PM
I am just now seeing this thread, and SO very sorry that you are having so much pain! The tingling sensations in your hands and feet also could be signs of diabetes. Do you have diabetes or have they checked you for it? Also, tingly sensations can be from panic attacks ... do you think some of the other symptoms could be bringing on a panic attack? That happens frequently to me when something else is making me sick, then it upsets me into panic! Just a couple more things to think about and run by your doctor(s).

I hope that the doctors can soon put the pieces of the puzzle together for you! I know how frustrating it is to NOT KNOW WHY you are feeling so sick!

HUGS,
Kim

joycenalex
09-05-2007, 05:00 PM
yeah, how are you diana? gentle hugs

captain
09-06-2007, 02:17 AM
Diana,
I had NO idea you were having such problems.
I truly hope they find out what is wrong .... and soon.

Gentle hugs to you ....

Love
Michelle

Pam
09-06-2007, 03:41 AM
Diana I am just reading this now. I hope that soon you will have a diagnosis and that it will be something easy to treat. I agree with Kim in that sometimes the waiting for the diagnosis is the worst part. I hope you are feeling a little better. Pain can really wear a person down physically and emotionally. (((hugs)))

Randi
09-06-2007, 05:46 AM
I'm so sorry to hear you have pain and feeling miserable. :( I do hope the doctors can find the reason and do something about it.

Sending healing thoughts and all the best.

((((hugs))))