PDA

View Full Version : What do you clean your patio/run with?

Seravieve
08-31-2007, 07:09 PM
Not sure where to post this.. so I figured I'd post it in General!

We live in a townhouse.. and our backyard is a patio.. surrounded by rocks. Zeke and Eli both go to the bathroom on the rocks, so urine smells/stains isnt a problem. But lil miss Bunny has to ONLY go on the patio (its aggregate). So.. after a day or so, its stinks and its dirty.. so I was wondering..

Whats environmentally safe and yet disinfecting enough to clean my patio?

I was trying to Google-search but all I could pull up was UK-based products. I do poop-scoop several times a week, rocks and patio, but the smell gets awful... Unless it rains, or I hose it down several times a week. But even then, its not really.. Clean.

So for those of you with dog runs or backyards similar to mine... what do you use?

Oh and what do you do with the poop? :D We've been using a kitty litter plastic container w/ lid but I was wondering if there was something better... Any suggestions will be appreciated. :)

Canis-Lupess
08-31-2007, 07:36 PM
Ah, I'm in the UK so I wouldn't be much help. I assume in your search you came across jeyes fluid though. Thats what I used when I had the run. Since Mist passed on, the run was disused as I didn't like putting Jess in there on her own and it has since been taken down. Jess spends the night in a shed with lots of windows and a bob hole so she has constant access to the lawn which is fenced off. If she pees, it soaks in, if she poos, I pick it up with the poop scooper and put it down the loo so I don't have the issue of smell anymore. It's not that often she poos on the backs though because she goes out 3 or 4 times a day and does it then.

anna_66
09-01-2007, 06:20 AM
You might want to PM RedyreRotties. I just read in her thread that they bought some "user friendly" stuff to clean their patio with.

jackie
09-01-2007, 09:31 AM
vinegar?

RedyreRotties
09-01-2007, 11:40 AM
Regular household bleach will do the job if you use it with care and water rinse it properly.

Mix the bleach at one part bleach to 20 parts water ratio. One ounce bleach to 20 oz of water. Use a pump sprayer to wet down the stone area. Let sit for 30 minutes, and then rinse well with your hose.

Keep the dogs off of it until you rinse it well.

Or you can order a kennel sanitizer from one of the pet supply houses....

Jeffers Pet Supply or Revival Animal Health are 2 that I use. They have several different types that are mixed with water and will do the job as well.

One caution: do NOT use the bleach any stronger than a 1:20 solution, and remember to let it sit, and rinse well. If you leave too much, make it too strong, or don't rinse well, it can give doggies sore feet for a day or two.

Seravieve
09-01-2007, 12:10 PM
Flushing the poop is a good idea.. but we have three.. so Id be flushing all day long. LOL

Beach eh? You think thats ok to be washed into the ground around the patio? We have several bushes and such that I dont want to kill.. so thats why I ask.

We have used White Vinegar before.. but vinegar stinks as well. So yea the urine smell was gone, but then it smelled like vinegar for a day or so.

I was thinking more on the lines of an actual disinfectant.. I guess I can run up to Petsmart and see what they have... =) Thanks!

RedyreRotties
09-01-2007, 12:18 PM
You will get a much better deal ordering online, even with the shipping, I bet.

I ordered Kennel Lan, it's about 20 bucks for a gallon, which dilutes to 13 gallons.

BC_MoM
09-01-2007, 12:30 PM
I've never tried it, but I've that that a bucket of water with a DROP of ammonia works wonders.

caseysmom
09-01-2007, 12:44 PM
I like simple grean, its non toxic and smells nice.

Seravieve
09-02-2007, 10:59 PM
Wellp we bought Simple Green.. seemed easy enough and cheapest. And its environmentally friendly.. a big plus. I dont want to be ruining the ground around our patio.. since we'll probably clean it weekly. Saw some stuff at Petsmart today. We went to weigh Eli, and those cleaners were near the scale. Theyre tooo pricey for how much we'd use them.

Did see a Doggy Septic Tank thingy... was wondering if those work... would be interesting. Anyone have one or know about them?