PDA

View Full Version : MORE PRAYERS NEEDED. Jasper, bloody liquid diarrhea.

jenluckenbach
08-31-2007, 06:50 PM
Another sick kitty. :( Totally unbelievable.

For about 3 days I have been finding real soft poop, surounded by liquid poop, ON MY SHEETS! :eek: (needless to say, I am tired of washing bed sheets). But I only had suspicions that it might be Jasper, until this morning.

Right after his breakfast he ran to a litter box, pooped liquid poop followed by blood, came out of the box, went right onto the bed (exact same spot as the other times) and started to "poop more blood".

HEAVY SIGH................

So he went in to the vet today (3rd time at the vet for the Luckenbach's since this Monday!) They are running blood tests (thinking it may be a thyroid condition) He is somewhat dehydrated and lost some weight. The vet says he feels full of gas.

So, we have 2 medicines for him (for the diarrhea and upset tummy) and will wait for the results tomorrow.

Funny thing is, I noticed my vet driving a brand new car today! <<<< LOL, a little joke about the amount of money I have been spending there lately. :rolleyes:

SEE UPDATE PAGE 2.

catmandu
08-31-2007, 06:58 PM
I Know What You Mean Jen As Four Found Cats Have Been In For Dental And Have Lost 12 Teeth. Thank God My Vets An Independant Vet As He Can Set His Own Fees. Bo Bo Had Only 2 Little Ones Gone And The Bill Was 300 Dollars.
In The City It Would Be At Least 500.
Good Luck On Jasper Jen, We Know What A Feeling That Is To Have One Of Our Comapnions Ill And Worrying About How Serious It Might Be. Our Prayers Are Coming For Dear Jasper.

Kalei
08-31-2007, 09:26 PM
Aw I"m sorry that you have to go and pay a vet once again:( You have such a big heart to be able to do that all the time and spend the money on it. Vet's are definately expensive. I hope that Jasper will be okay and the vet will cure him so he is fit and healthy:)

Prayers for Jasper.

Catty1
08-31-2007, 11:20 PM
Oh JEN, my goodness - besides the money, all the sick kitties!

I hope this gets fixed up quickly - and that everyone (including you) stays healthy for a VERY long time! :)

HUGS!

krazyaboutkatz
08-31-2007, 11:32 PM
Jen, I'm sorry to hear that now Jasper is ill.:( I can totally relate about going to the vet so much and I only have 6 cats. I sure hope that it's nothing serious and that it can be treated easily. Lots of prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.

jenluckenbach
09-01-2007, 12:44 PM
OK, Jasper's blood work looked pretty good. NOT hyperthyroid! But, the vet said the throid was low. The thing is (and I did not know this) cats DO NOT get hypothyroid!! So, it is something that might be indicating something else.

So. we continue his meds for diarrhea and watch his poops. and his weight.

I have started adding canned food to his dry for the extra water content so hopefully he can gain weight, also. He is 8 pounds (he was 9 pounds)

rg_girlca
09-01-2007, 03:26 PM
Poor Jasper and Poor you Jen, having to go back and forth to the vet with sick kitties. You know the old saying, "Things come in three's." So prayers on the way that this will be last of sick kitties for you.

Prayers and positive thoughts also on the way that Jasper feels better soon.

jenluckenbach
09-01-2007, 04:12 PM
Well, I found his poop for the day. Right on the bed where he had been going. But Jen's no dummy!!! I have it covered with plastic now! :p Easy clean up. The good news is that it is firmer, so he is improving from the meds, even if only a little bit.

And for the record, our first trip to the vet this Monday was for routine shots and check ups. Simba had blood work done also, just because he is over 9 years old. Shilo and Jasper were the only sickies (THIS time around, any way. :rolleyes: ) Hope that doesn't mean #3 will require attention! :eek: (LOL) -not superstitious- even though I know the saying, and even use it sometimes. :o

rg_girlca
09-02-2007, 01:55 PM
I'm happy to hear that Jasper is improving with the medication. :)
How is he doing today?

momcat
09-02-2007, 02:02 PM
Poor Jasper! My prayer that the problem turns out to be minor and easily corrected. Groucho sends Jasper feel better purrs and headbumpies, I'm sending get well scritchies and smoochies. Please let us know how he's doing?

jenluckenbach
09-02-2007, 03:27 PM
Jasper's poops are firming up, soft but WAY better than before.

He ate yesterday morning and this morning, but last night he only ate "some".

But I think he feels better, and is acting more normal.

I guess we'll do the 10 days of meds and see if we need to do anything else.

jenluckenbach
09-11-2007, 06:23 PM
This is getting to me now. Jasper began to improve in the poop department (or so I thought) because his poops were much firmer, but still on the bed. :(Which to me meant he still did not FEEL well.)

Then he seemed to lose his appetite so I gave him Fancy Feast for one "treat" meal. BAD MOVE! The liquid diarrhea started again right away. (and of course, on the bed)

Now he is on the steroid, but it has not begun to help yet. The diarrhea blow out I found on my bed, today when I got home, was horrible.

I feel bad for him, and bad for me! The cleanup isn't bad, the plastic sheet is easy to clean, but how often do you really want to do it??

This is just like Lucas, which worries me. The unexplained diarrhea that resists treatment. And constantly doing it outside the box. Could Jasper have a similar cancer?

heavy sigh..........:(

jennielynn1970
09-11-2007, 06:27 PM
Maybe it's a food reaction?? Honey poops outside the box as well, although I'm not sure if it's just to get my attention or what. His poops are semi soft, and kinda gray/brown in color. Not like a normal, dark, kitty poop. He is a mainly soft food eater, so I was thinking it was that. Maybe he needs to see the vet too.... ugh.

Hope Jasper feels better soon... I hope it's not cancer or anything like that.

Craftlady
09-11-2007, 06:42 PM
Normally being on a steriod increases appetite.
RB Butterscotch it didnt work :(

It does seem puzzling when the vet said Jaspers blood work look pretty good.

I would guess diet problem.

jenluckenbach
09-11-2007, 07:02 PM
I doubt it would be a diet problem (except for this last diarrhea which happened right AFTER the Fancy Feast) because he has always eaten the same thing.

His decrease in appetite was BEFORE the steroid, so hopefully his appetite will return WITH the steroid (as he needs to gain weight).

Yes, the blood work was good except for a LOW thyroid number, and the vet said that this is puzzling. :confused: Cats don't get low thyroid.

I think he is not feeling good, just by his actions. Somoething that can't be described, but a mama knows.

kimlovescats
09-11-2007, 07:57 PM
I'm sorry that Jasper is still not feeling well. I know how frustrating and messy the chronic kitty diarrhea can be! I hope the vet can get to the bottom of this all soon!! (no pun intended)

Kim

jenluckenbach
09-11-2007, 08:00 PM
I hope the vet can get to the bottom of this all soon!!

Kim
tee hee. :p

Well, I added some powdered metamucil (fiber) to his food tonight. And the pred (steroid) must be working on his appetite, because he ate it all. The fiber will not fix his underlying problem, but it might help to firm him up. *fingers crossed*

catnapper
09-11-2007, 08:15 PM
Oh Jen, How did I miss this up til now? I'm so sorry to hear this about your handsome boy. Many prayers for you and him coming your way.

krazyaboutkatz
09-12-2007, 12:04 AM
Jen, I'm so sorry to hear that Jasper isn't improving.:( How long has he been on the pred? I know it took Starr at least several days to show an improvement but he started out on higher doseage and he was also on a food for allergies.
I also noticed that when Starr would eat wet food that his diarrhea would become worse. My vet said it's because his colon couldn't absorb the liquid like it should so I kept Starr on dry food only until he started his herbal supplements. I sure hope that it isn't cancer and that Jasper will start feeling well again soon. He continues to remain in my thoughts and prayers.

jenluckenbach
09-20-2007, 03:44 PM
Poor Jasper. He has not been getting better. He had a depo shot to try to firm up the diarrhea, but it isn't working. And on top of everything, he had a bit of a cold/congestion.

We are going to try yet another medication. It is one that helped Lucas (for while) when he was having the diarrhea problem.

Jasper is such a love bug (actually, we call he PESTY WESTY, because he is so demanding of attention) and to see him sick and lethargic is heartbraking.

Romance
09-20-2007, 03:46 PM
were the cats recently vaccinated with a modified live vaccine?

DrKym
09-20-2007, 03:53 PM
Jen I just now came across this. My prayers are with you and Jasper. Cyber hugs to you both.
Hope he starts to heal soon!

jenluckenbach
09-20-2007, 03:57 PM
were the cats recently vaccinated with a modified live vaccine?
No

catmandu
09-20-2007, 04:03 PM
We Are Praying For Our Dear Friend Jasper.
I Know How Hard That Can Be And Frustrating As You So Want Your Dear Friend To Be Better, And Not To Suffer.
Prayers Are Coming From Us All For Dear Jasper.

pitc9
09-20-2007, 04:06 PM
Prayers sent!

Catty1
09-20-2007, 06:50 PM
Prayers that he gets better SOON - poor widdle guy! :(

jenluckenbach
09-20-2007, 06:58 PM
Now he's not eating. :( I know that it is the "cold" and congestion, but the poor skinny guy can't afford to lose any weight.

DrKym
09-20-2007, 07:06 PM
Jenn? no offence have you tried Nutri-cal? when Io got so sick I used it with him. I know how hard this is, and I right now don't want to come off as giving advice to one I look up to.

my thoughts and prayers still. cmon Jasper pull through this!

jenluckenbach
09-20-2007, 07:09 PM
Jenn? no offence have you tried Nutri-cal?
Not yet. It is actually only 2 meals (this AM and PM) that he did not eat. But I have it on hand, and THANK YOU for the reminder!

G535
09-20-2007, 07:20 PM
Sending positive thoughts that Jasper gets well soon. :)

jennielynn1970
09-20-2007, 08:27 PM
Awe... poor Jasper! C'mon buddy, you need to eat in order to get better!!

rg_girlca
09-20-2007, 09:11 PM
Oh gosh Jen, I am so sorry to hear that Jasper is not doing well.

Prayers and positive thoughts on the way that he gets better real soon.

{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}} for you Jen. :)

krazyaboutkatz
09-21-2007, 12:16 AM
Jen, I'm so sorry to hear that Jasper has taken a turn for the worse.:( Lots more prayers and positive thoughts are being sent his way.

kitten645
09-21-2007, 01:39 AM
I have a tube of this stuff that I got to get some weight on Smudge and he REFUSES to eat it. My other too "fluffy" boys would love to devour the tube in a nano second :rolleyes: If I can send it to you Jenn or anyone who needs it I'd be happy. Just jolted my memory I've had this under lock and key to avoid raids!
I hope poor Jasper feels better soon. I totally understand your "mama knows" comment. A RB kitty of mine wasn't well and I kept telling the vet to check for worms and he said no way. Did a million tests for big $$ and at the end...WORMS! I felt vindicated cause I got to say TOLD YOU SO!! Didn't help my wallet of course :o Positive vibes going out to you and Jasper.

DrKym
09-21-2007, 01:42 AM
Jenn Lighting another Candle for you 2...............I hope you know how much we are praying....

Jasper Knock it off! Now you are so upsetting your mom and she is amazing! So now time to get well Little man!

phesina
09-21-2007, 07:45 PM
Prayers and good wishes and healing energies are being sent from all of us to Jasper and you, Jen.

Love, hugs, and purrs,
Pat, Peony, Sydney, Poppy, Elmer, and Priscilla Angel who is watching over Jasper

jenluckenbach
09-21-2007, 07:50 PM
Poor, sneezing, snotty Jasper. He's got a "snoot-full". And still not eating.

columbine
09-21-2007, 08:10 PM
One time Smudge got Depo-Medrol for his allergies, and immediately caught a cold. He just wouldn't eat. I finally got a random idea when I was in the fish store. I got a swordfish filet, and sauteed it in butter. Then I cut out the dark middle part, cut it up in tiny pieces, and sat and hand-fed them to Smudge one at a time. It jump-started his stomach, and he went and had a bit of cat food too. (So I celebrated by eating the rest of the swordfish.)

Love, Columbine

Catty1
09-21-2007, 08:12 PM
Poor guy can't smell the food! :( Jen - did your vet say anything about trying an antihistamine? If it helps his smell at all, he may be more interested in eating!

Vicks and a vaporizer?

You likely already know this, but I looked up some symptoms of hypothyroidism (low thyroid) - but he's not gaining weight, is he?

What are the symptoms of hypothyroidism?

* Lethargic behavior such as a lack of interest in play, frequent napping, tiring out on long walks
* Weight gain, sometimes without an apparent gain in appetite
* Bacterial infections of the skin
* Dry skin
* Hair loss, especially on the trunk or tail (“rat’s tail”)
* Discoloration or thickening of the skin where hair loss has occurred
* Cold intolerance/seeking out warm places to lie down
* Slow heart rate
* Chronic ear infections
* Severe behavioral changes such as unprovoked aggression, head tilt, seizures, anxiety and/or compulsivity
* Depression

The lack of proper levels of thyroid hormone generally will lead to increased weight, lethargy, cold intolerance, poor hair coat and a cat with little enthusiasm for life. A simple blood test can be useful in diagnosing Hypothyroidism. Treatment often transforms the cat's physical appearance and energy levels to a much more normal state.

Dumb idea...maybe if his thyroid picked up, his interest in eating would also. The meds are inexpensive...might it be worth treating this one symptom? I just wonder what your vet would think...

just trying to help, Jen.

PT Prayers for you and Jasper.

K & L
09-21-2007, 09:43 PM
I sure hope there's some improvement very soon. Seems we go in cycles like this also. We'll go a few months and no vet visits, then they all hit at once. Not easy on us mentally or financially. Good luck!

ChrisH
09-22-2007, 09:20 AM
Poor Jasper. :( Prayers and positive thoughts on the way.

kimlovescats
09-22-2007, 09:32 AM
Oh Jasper, honey, please eat for Mommy!!!
Jen, maybe the Nutri-Cal will sustain him for a while until his cold clears up. I know how overwhelmed you can become and I've overlooked some of the simple remedies like Nutri-Cal before as well! I've had to smear it all over poor kitties before to get it in them! :rolleyes: I've also syringe-fed the liquid from water packed tuna! It's basically just tuna flavored water! Maybe you can try that too.

Hang in there!

Hugs,
Kim

orangemm
09-22-2007, 12:05 PM
Just saw this now, Jen and I am hoping that little Jasper improves SOON! Will send up some extra prayers for him.............. :(

jenluckenbach
09-22-2007, 08:21 PM
Well, we resorted to forcing food with a syringe tonight. :(

The vet suggested giving Chlorphenarimine, an antihistamine....4 mg t help his congestion. Not much help tonight, maybe tomorrow.

I am sure that he is down at least another half of a pound. :(

Come on Jasper. I want my pesty westy back in my face again.

krazyaboutkatz
09-22-2007, 08:25 PM
Jen, I'm so sorry to hear this.:( He'll remain in my thoughts and prayers.

Catty1
09-22-2007, 08:41 PM
I hope the antihistamine kicks in a little bit, so he can smell his yummy stuff.

Come on, Jasper, eat up...your meowmie and we are all pulling and praying for you!

PT Prayers!

Cinder & Smoke
09-23-2007, 12:05 AM
Hi God ~

How's about a lil Durt-Ball Trip - over to Jen's Howze?

Da lil Sickie named Jasper needs a Tune-Up!
* His <sniffer> is plugged up
* His rear-end needs a plug
* His appie-tite needs a make-over

Paleeze See iffin You kan make him Feel Better!

Not to mention da UDDER Wunz that saw the White Coat earlier inna week ...
Kuld You werk onna White Coat fur a Group Diskount?
They sure otta Qualler-fi!

THANKS, God!

/s/ the Prayer Pups

momcat
09-23-2007, 11:46 AM
Oh Jen, I'm so sorry to hear that Jasper isn't feeling too well. Please know that many prayers for Jasper's speedy recovery are coming from Trenton.

jenluckenbach
09-23-2007, 12:26 PM
Thank you for all the prayers, I am sure they will help in time.....but for now, he is still not eating. He is still all snotty and the antihistamine did not seem to help. I syringe fed again this morning.

DrKym
09-23-2007, 12:28 PM
Im so sorry to hear he still isn't feeling better yet....you and he are in our thoughts. Prayers and candles lit for him.

jazzcat
09-23-2007, 12:30 PM
Oh Jen, I'm sorry.

Prayers and positive thoughts on the way.

Catty1
09-23-2007, 02:29 PM
Jen...I hope it builds up in his system soon! Any chance of steaming him or dabbing a TINY bit of Vicks under his nose? :(

I copied this from another post, and I am sure you and your vet thought of everything...but I just quote it here in case!

Then there is Chlamydia but that is WAY to expensive to test for.It cost us 900 bucks to find out my cat Trudy had it VERY bad.But she had wet coughs and laringitis and snotty nose.

HUGS and more prayers for Jasper!

jenluckenbach
09-24-2007, 07:28 PM
Well, as noted in my vet update thread, getting stuffy after a depo shot (for the first time or 2) is common. So this cold and Jasper's original diarrhea are definitely not related. but the boy is still so sick. :( Had to syringe feed again tonight.

He is on a new medicine. Hopefully to help the cold AND the diarrhea (which he still has). So the poor kid has to go through the side effect of the depo injection and it did not even help his diarrhea. :( But, of course, we could not have known that ahead of time.