PDA

View Full Version : Second hand smoke causes cancer in pets

Medusa
08-31-2007, 03:53 PM
Take a read:

http://www.yahoo.com/s/665168

kittycats_delight
08-31-2007, 04:07 PM
About 18 months ago Micia(my husbands cat here in Italy) got sick suddenly and passed on. We had a post mortem done to see what caused her death. It was a fast growing tumor. The vet gave us the results and then asked if anyone smoked in the house. Both my husband and his brother did. Had for years and years. The vet said ' I would suggest seeing you have another cat in the house(he knew Vixen was totally indoors) that you smoke either in another room or outside.' When my brother-in-law asked why the vet informed him that cats are extremely susceptible (spelling?) to second hand smoke and it is one of the leading causes in cancers in cats.

We knew nothing about this so needless to say hubby went on the band wagon and will not allow anyone to smoke anywhere near the animals. No matter who it is they have to go outside to smoke whether it is summer or winter.

Medusa
08-31-2007, 04:17 PM
Good for your husband! :) I don't allow smoking in my house, car or anywhere near me, actually. It isn't a judgment; it's a health issue. I want to live a while. And I want the same for my fur posse. Again, good for your husband!

Freedom
08-31-2007, 04:37 PM
I know many rescue groups won't adopt dogs out to homes where someone smokes.

catmandu
08-31-2007, 07:52 PM
No Smoking At The Found Cat Paradise Hotel Ever Even On The Enclosed Porch. The Cats Come First.