PDA

View Full Version : Copyright Infringment. What would you do?

NicoleLJ
08-31-2007, 10:41 AM
No it is not about my articles though I have had to deal with people who have tried to claim my published articles as their own.

Here is the question. Say you knew of someone who was claiming other peoples articles or work as their own and taking credit for it. What would you do? Would you ignore it? Report it to the actual author if you knew who owned the copyright?

How would you handle a situation like that?

If you were the author would you want to be told? Would you care if someone claimed your work as their own?

Personally I would want to be told. I worked hard on the articles I have written and had published and I would not want someone stealing my work or taking credit where they don't deserve it.

Nicole & Sheena & Puppies

elizabethann
08-31-2007, 10:48 AM
I would want to be told.

NicoleLJ
08-31-2007, 10:54 AM
but what if you weren't the author but knew that someone was claiming someone elses work as their own. Would you then report it to the author or the person who held the copyright?

Romance
08-31-2007, 11:15 AM
I would want to be told and because I hold the copyrite on my own work I would think that others do the same so by telling the author then your doing both.

emily_the_spoiled
08-31-2007, 12:07 PM
By claiming someone's elses work as their own they are actually breaking the law ... it is plagerism and they can be charged. I would suggest reporting it either to the person's supervisor and/or the author of the work.

In the science field that it is a BIG no no!

elizabethann
08-31-2007, 12:36 PM
I'd report it to the author.

Freedom
08-31-2007, 12:36 PM
Report it or not? YES! Report it.

To the author or to the copyright holder? Why not both?! Or is one easier to locate or contact? Then go with that one.

Jessika
08-31-2007, 12:49 PM
Even if I wasn't the author, I would let someone know (the plagiarist's supervisor, the article's author, etc), or maybe I might even try talking to the person themselves and ask if they realize how serious plagiarism is and explain the sort of legal troubles they can run into if they copy from the wrong person?

mike001
08-31-2007, 03:16 PM
My gosh, I have seen this same post on so many forums it's making me sick . You should take the advice Val gave you in 2004. If you feel it should be reported then report it, you're a big girl, old enough to make a decision like this. I know someone stealing copyrights also, I just let it pass, I have enough to keep me busy and I'm sure the writers of articles keep tabs on this kind of stuff.

Romance
08-31-2007, 06:22 PM
I think she should report it but i also think that she should be warned that if it were to come about that Nichole was wrong in her reporting that she could set herself up for a lawsuit and criminal charges for placing a false complaint. Nichole should be very careful in making sure she knows 100% that her complaint is valid.

jackie
08-31-2007, 08:11 PM
I think she should report it but i also think that she should be warned that if it were to come about that Nichole was wrong in her reporting that she could set herself up for a lawsuit and criminal charges for placing a false complaint. Nichole should be very careful in making sure she knows 100% that her complaint is valid.

That is true, but if I was in her shoes, I wouldn't "report it" as much a just send a link or copy of the article.

Romance
08-31-2007, 08:29 PM
ahhh ok. yes that would keep her from accidentally stepping in it.

flip195
08-31-2007, 08:52 PM
This thing about copyright always bugs the hell out of me.
If it is an article the fact is that there are only so many discriptive words in the english language, and sooner or later, if your putting your stuff out on the internet your are going to run across someone who has the same writing style and uses the same words.
If it is an informative article that benefits ppl why not share it, and if your not making oodles of cash from it whats the big deal.

I recently ran into this copyright crap regarding 2 things.
My grandmother was a through and through dog person and was also into home remedies.
Most of you have heard of Blue powder ear treatment, well I have the original mix written in my grandmother recipe book, which was written 30 years ago, yet someone on the internet has added bits and pieces of info to that original recipe and is now claiming it as their own.

My grandmother also passed down a recipe for cat urine removal which contains hydrogen peroxide, washing up liquid, and baking powder, this recipe is also all over the internet with ppl claiming it as their own.

What is more a lot of ppl are selling these recipes for a lot of money because they actually work, so do I claim copyright, the recipe book is dated 1969, and the recipes are handwritten in it, I an prove they are the originals.

Ppl really need to get over this legal crap and start sharing to improve life for others.

Here is a copy of my email regarding the ear treatment (btw that is what my grandmother called it)

Subject: Re blue powder ear treatment.

I have to say I am disappointed by your actions of copyrighting the use of
this formula to stictly printed use as most ppl correspond via email these
days.
Infact I think it is very sad that you have copyrighted the formula at
all.
I have been aware of this mixture for in excess of 30 years, infact I
think I still have the piece of paper my grandmother wrote it on
somewhere in her old recipe book.
This is a treatment that old school dog ppl have known about for years,
shame that you should claim it as your own.
I have found out today you are contacting websites displaying the formula
threatening to sue etc if it is not removed.
Very sad day indeed.
At the end of the day the animals will suffer.

flip195
08-31-2007, 08:54 PM
Here is the reply I got

My Web Site, is non-commercial and provides an
ENORMOUS amount of helpful information -- available to all on the internet.
It was a
great deal of work to create this Web Site and all at my own expense. I
hope you'll spend some time reading the wide array of information available
and reconsider your harsh judgment of me.

Please understand that anything authored and PUBLISHED in print (a book with
the copyright stated) -- or on the internet (Web Page) is, by definition,
Intellectual Property and is COPYRIGHTED material, protected by law.

FYI, as I state in my Blue Power Ear Treatment excerpt, the ingredients and
only some of the instructions were given to me more than a decade ago --
for the purpose of publishing it -- in order to let dog lovers all over the
world know about this wonderful remedy. The majority of the Blue Power Ear
Treatment excerpt from my book (10 pages) is from my own research -- along
with responses from users of the remedy.

As medical science evolves, we find better ways to deal with health problems
and that's the case with the Blue Power Ear Treatment. Therefore, the
outdated versions of my work MUST be removed because they omit the updated
information, especially the CAUTION -- of putting anything into an ear canal
without first having a veterinarian verifying that the eardrum is intact.
Otherwise serious problems can result -- causing HARM to the animal!

For the record, I did NOT threaten to sue anyone about this issue. I simply
requested my OUTDATED article be removed and the Link inserted -- so that
all dog lovers may be better informed (with the CAUTION), and FREELY
print-out my article for their personal use at this Link:

Unfortunately, people make false statements, disparaging others unfairly,
and the _misinformation_ continues to circulate quickly via the internet,
for example: on a forum -- stating that my article is "based upon my
experience with the product", to the incorrect remark that I am "promoting
and selling the product" -- which are TOTALLY FALSE.

I have made it very clear in my article that I have never used this old-time
remedy-- because my animals have never had ear problems.

Furthermore, I don't sell any products -- nothing is sold from my Web Site
as it is intended for educational purposes, see:

Regards,
Helen

NicoleLJ
09-01-2007, 09:25 AM
Thanks all for the responses. It is interesting to see how each person views these types of things. Really makes you think.

mike001
09-01-2007, 09:37 AM
FLIP 95---I couldn't have stated it better myself had I tried. I've also had that recipe for ears on hand for yrs and passed it on, never knew where it came from but it did help a lot of friends. I personally only used it twice, long ago, but always kept it, so thank you to your grandmother for this.
You are so right about copyright, so many articles have been published by members that I have read in dog magazines yrs ago, Some members just change a few things and claim it as their own, so big deal, some of these authentic authors are now dead. Most of us know where they originated from in the first place.
Thank you for a real eye opener.

flip195
09-01-2007, 10:08 AM
FLIP 95---I couldn't have stated it better myself had I tried. I've also had that recipe for ears on hand for yrs and passed it on, never knew where it came from but it did help a lot of friends. I personally only used it twice, long ago, but always kept it, so thank you to your grandmother for this.
You are so right about copyright, so many articles have been published by members that I have read in dog magazines yrs ago, Some members just change a few things and claim it as their own, so big deal, some of these authentic authors are now dead. Most of us know where they originated from in the first place.
Thank you for a real eye opener.

to be honest I am not sure my grandmother INVENTED the mix for ears, but I have no idea, all I know is we used it on our Cockers when they got a canker infection and it worked.
I know she made up the urine removal mixture, and the recipe out there now is missing one ingredient (white Pepper, used to deter the cats from remarking the spot).

mike001
09-01-2007, 10:53 AM
There you go. I must not be a very good cook, never heard of white pepper, must make a point to look in the spices next time I shop.

Cataholic
09-01-2007, 08:19 PM
Never thought I would agree with Mike001, but, truly, I have so much going on in my life, and watching to make sure *I* stay within the lines, that I just couldn't be bothered.

If it isn't affecting me, or someone I am close to, I would simply let it go. What good would come of it, really?

sirrahbed
09-01-2007, 08:38 PM
I don't understand internet copyright law and don't care to learn. I just assume that anything I put on is public domain. How could anyone copyright a folk remedy? Or recipes? I am quite sure these things go way back to *before* folks even wrote things down on paper. This is another reason I miss the "good ole days" :D ;)

Randi
09-07-2007, 03:32 PM
Here's some good info on copyright: http://www.whatiscopyright.org/

jennielynn1970
09-08-2007, 12:16 AM
I guess as a Librarian, I should at least put some info on this thread... ;)

Copyright is a big deal, just ask Mr. Disney... they're some of the biggest enforcers of copyright.

Here are some other sights that deal with copyright:
http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html

http://www.whatiscopyright.org/

Also, if you're thinking of making a million copies of someone's book or pamphlet, make sure you know your restrictions on giving it out:
http://fairuse.stanford.edu/Copyright_and_Fair_Use_Overview/chapter9/index.html

http://fairuse.stanford.edu/Copyright_and_Fair_Use_Overview/chapter9/9-a.html

Better to be well informed than ignorant, and in the end, fined by the person/corporation who owns the copyright. Ignorance is not always bliss, and you will get fined for things like copyright violation.