PDA

View Full Version : 'You can't keep your dog'

JenBKR
08-31-2007, 10:14 AM
I haven't been around too much lately, work has been so busy I can't keep up. But I need to vent about something, and I know that this is just the place ;)

As you may know, I'll be having a baby in about three months. It's becoming pretty obvious that I am pregnant since I'm really showing now. In talking to people, some I know well and some not so well, I have mentioned that I have a dog. I have been getting asked what we are going to do about the dog when the baby gets here, and when they find out we are keeping him I get some strange responses. People have been telling me 'you can't keep that dog! He might hurt the baby!' and things like that. People are really astonished that we would have a large german shepherd in the house with a newborn. Many of these people have never even met Roscoe. I'm at a loss how to respond. Roscoe may be big, but he's never been aggressive. Why would I give him up? My only concern with him is that he gets so excited sometimes that he does what I call 'jumpies' around the room, and he might knock into the bassinette or something. But we have been working with him, and he's gotten a lot better. People just amaze me with how rude they can be. Anyway, sorry for the long rant just need a vent!

caseysmom
08-31-2007, 10:18 AM
I had a large shepherd mix when both my girls were babies, luckily I had no idiots say anything like that to me. My gypsey was gentle as could be with the dogs, they even got pony rides on her when they were toddlers.

You have to get a thick skin when you are pregnant you will get some wierd advice :eek:

pitc9
08-31-2007, 10:35 AM
Some people are so clueless!!
The next time someone asks you that you should respond with:

You: Do you have children?
Stupid person: Yes!
You: Would you get rid of them if you were going to have another child?
:D

Jessika
08-31-2007, 11:39 AM
My parents had a large shepherd mix when I was a baby, and again when my youngest sister was born nearly 10 years later.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with having a dog and a newborn at the same time.

I think these people are just ignorant to the issue of training their dog. I think they assume or listen to stories on the news of babies being hurt or mauled by large dogs, when in most cases, the infant and dogs were both left unsupervised which is HIGHLY discouraged by me anyway until your child is older and your dog(s) get used to having an infant around.

I love my two dogs and trust them and know they would never harm anything with foul intentions. But they are dogs, and they do have instincts. Would I give them up when I decide to have children?? NO WAY!!! But I would make extra precautions to not leave them unsupervised with one another, and I would introduce the infant to them in the same way I would introduce another cat or dog. Supervised, and slowly.

These people just don't understand that some dogs are well-behaved and trained properly. They are also set in the old mind set. It's like an old wive's tale to have to give the dog up once you have a baby because the dog will become "jealous" and harm the baby. It's ridiculous and you and I both know that isn't true but unfortunately a majority of the population believes this so... lol

JenBKR
08-31-2007, 11:57 AM

:D I love it - I think I will have to try that one

JenBKR
08-31-2007, 12:02 PM
My parents had a large shepherd mix when I was a baby, and again when my youngest sister was born nearly 10 years later.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with having a dog and a newborn at the same time.

I think these people are just ignorant to the issue of training their dog. I think they assume or listen to stories on the news of babies being hurt or mauled by large dogs, when in most cases, the infant and dogs were both left unsupervised which is HIGHLY discouraged by me anyway until your child is older and your dog(s) get used to having an infant around.

I love my two dogs and trust them and know they would never harm anything with foul intentions. But they are dogs, and they do have instincts. Would I give them up when I decide to have children?? NO WAY!!! But I would make extra precautions to not leave them unsupervised with one another, and I would introduce the infant to them in the same way I would introduce another cat or dog. Supervised, and slowly.

These people just don't understand that some dogs are well-behaved and trained properly. They are also set in the old mind set. It's like an old wive's tale to have to give the dog up once you have a baby because the dog will become "jealous" and harm the baby. It's ridiculous and you and I both know that isn't true but unfortunately a majority of the population believes this so... lol

Sad that people still automatically believe that. Believe me, I wouldn't even dream of leaving Roscoe and the baby unsupervised. I will be taking extra precautions, and have already gotten a lot of ideas.

Trinityagain
08-31-2007, 12:05 PM
And these are probably the same people who would tell you to get rid of your cat(s) because they will steal the baby's breath...I used to work with someone who ACTUALLY believed that!

We had dogs the entire time I was growing up, including a fabulous German Shepard named Babe and there was never any trouble with any of them....and I almost forgot. My mother in law used to raise Dobermans and to my knowledge no real issues there either!

Sometimes I really wonder about people...

Congratulations on the coming event!!!!

lvpets2002
08-31-2007, 12:07 PM
:o I Love Your Response pitc9.. Good Lordy some people :rolleyes: .. Keep your big babie Roscoe.. Roscoe will be the best Guardian & Protecter this new wittle one could ever even imagine.. ;)
Some people are so clueless!!
The next time someone asks you that you should respond with:

JenBKR
08-31-2007, 12:11 PM
And these are probably the same people who would tell you to get rid of your cat(s) because they will steal the baby's breath...I used to work with someone who ACTUALLY believed that!

I did have a few people mention that :rolleyes: but it seems that more people are concerned about the dog. I am surprised to hear how many pets are given up when a baby comes along :(

JenBKR
08-31-2007, 12:12 PM
:o I Love Your Response pitc9.. Good Lordy some people :rolleyes: .. Keep your big babie Roscoe.. Roscoe will be the best Guardian & Protecter this new wittle one could ever even imagine.. ;)

Yes he will! I think he's going to make sure nothing happens to baby :D

Maya & Inka's mommy
08-31-2007, 12:15 PM
OMG, some people should better keep their mouths shut :mad: !!! They have absolutely NO right to interfere (or judge) with other people's lifes :mad:

Don't listen to them, Jenneke; just think about how your little Tye will come into your family in less than 3 months. He will make you and Shawn sooooooo happy!

JenBKR
08-31-2007, 12:20 PM
OMG, some people should better keep their mouths shut :mad: !!! They have absolutely NO right to interfere (or judge) with other people's lifes :mad:

Don't listen to them, Jenneke; just think about how your little Tye will come into your family in less than 3 months. He will make you and Shawn sooooooo happy!

Thank you Lutje! You're right, people don't really have the right to interfere like that. It can be so frustrating. I guess I just have to ignore it.

Karen
08-31-2007, 12:21 PM
Say what my brother (Lady's Human) said when LOH was pregnant with their first child.

"Are you kidding? Dogs and children, children and dogs - they go together. In fact, if we DIDN'T have a dog, I'd think about getting one right now!"

JenBKR
08-31-2007, 12:39 PM
Say what my brother (Lady's Human) said when LOH was pregnant with their first child.

"Are you kidding? Dogs and children, children and dogs - they go together. In fact, if we DIDN'T have a dog, I'd think about getting one right now!"

:D And that's so true!!

AdoreMyDogs
08-31-2007, 01:12 PM
Some people are just plain ignorant. GSD's and babies can be a wonderful mix, as long as the GSD has been socialized and trained. Both my furbabies are amazing with Quinn. Not only can I not imagine having them here, but they actually make me feel safer being home with my baby all day.

When Quinn cries, Boone, my GSD, always stands right by me no matter where he was when she started crying. He is truly a gentle boy, as well as his lovely sister, Kersey. They are 80 pound dogs, but they have gentle ways about them and I could never imagine how I'd get along without them. Quinn is absolutely in love with the doggies, too. When ever she's fussy and she won't stop fussing no matter what I do, I put hold her up to either of the dogs and it's instant giggles.

Just look at how much Boone and Kersey love their human baby sister

Lady's Human
08-31-2007, 01:18 PM
Kids NEED dogs or pets around!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's just not RIGHT that kids have to grow up without pets!

Jen, you think people are rude now? Wait until the baby is actually here.

cyber-sibes
08-31-2007, 01:24 PM
:rolleyes: Whatever. Nough said.
Some comments don't deserve a response.

When I had my first, my mom wanted us to get rid of our 2 cats because "they might smother the baby." I'm happy to report that he survived growing up with cats, he's 24 now, and owns several himself.

Your little one will have a constant companion & protector in Roscoe. ;)

Suki Wingy
08-31-2007, 01:37 PM
My Niño was about 2 when my little sister was born. He's considered the fourth child in our family. :) Some people just have no value on the matter.

lute
08-31-2007, 03:12 PM
It's understandable why you are upset. If I ever have a child I plan on keeping all my dogs, and chickens and whatever else I have. Do the people that tell you you must get rid of the dog because he "might" hurt the baby ever heard of countless stories of dogs saving their children. A friend of mine has a 6month old and a 9 month old Doberman puppy. He is HUGE! *80 lbs of HUGE! The dog is protective of the baby and wouldn't dream of hurting her.

NicoleLJ
08-31-2007, 03:26 PM
I wrote an article about just this thing. After working for so long in rescues one of the number one reasons for giving up the dog was the new baby. It sickened me. God gives us 9 months to not only prepare ourselves for the new arrival but also everyone else including the pets. So I wrote a training article for people expecting babies that also have dogs in the hopes of getting people to keep their family member instead of giving them up. Here it is:

http://giftofgracekennels.com/id56.html

It is titled "Baby? Aren't I The Baby? ©" and has been published several times now in various magazines. I have gotten a great response form it. Most from people who had actually been considering giving up their dog since they were expecting. So I know it has saved many four footed lives already.

Take a look and maybe you can show your friends the article and show them that there are things you can do to help insure happiness for all without having to give someone up.
Nicole & Sheena & Puppies

joycenalex
08-31-2007, 03:37 PM
jen, learn to ignore those people, for what it's worth, they will also tell you how to raise your child.

JenBKR
08-31-2007, 03:50 PM
I knew I came to the right place :D

I agree that kids and dogs go together, I always had a dog growing up and I can't imagine having it any other way. Just can't wait for those people to tell me I am raising my kids wrong :rolleyes: Thanks everyone :D

I wrote an article about just this thing. After working for so long in rescues one of the number one reasons for giving up the dog was the new baby. It sickened me. God gives us 9 months to not only prepare ourselves for the new arrival but also everyone else including the pets. So I wrote a training article for people expecting babies that also have dogs in the hopes of getting people to keep their family member instead of giving them up. Here it is:

It is titled "Baby? Aren't I The Baby? ©" and has been published several times now in various magazines. I have gotten a great response form it. Most from people who had actually been considering giving up their dog since they were expecting. So I know it has saved many four footed lives already.

Take a look and maybe you can show your friends the article and show them that there are things you can do to help insure happiness for all without having to give someone up.

Oh thank you for the article! I printed it and will use some of those ideas. I never thought about carrying a baby doll around, but I am going to start doing that. I will have to look for a recording of baby sounds too, that's a great idea. Thank you so much!

Sevaede
08-31-2007, 04:09 PM
Give 'em a few choice words for us! ;) :D Okay, just joking. But I am in agreement, those folks certainly don't know what they're talking about. I never had a dog, cat, etc, growing up and it was very lonely. Thankfully I had friends that had pets! :D

Freedom
08-31-2007, 04:35 PM
Oh lordy, I just can't believe some people! Bless you for having SOME sanity!

Alysser
08-31-2007, 04:41 PM
Ignorance never stops amazing me. People actually told you to get RID of a dog you've had for many years because of some old tale? WOW! That's a new one. Roscoe seems like such a sweet baby, I am glad you choose to ignore them! :)

mike001
09-01-2007, 09:42 AM
My kids grew up with dogs with no problems, it was our choice to have dogs to grow with the kids.
As for the article "Am I not the baby?" I read that yrs ago in a vet's office, only it had a different titile----"What did I do wrong?"

NicoleLJ
09-01-2007, 09:46 AM
That is a complete and total lie and I am calling you on it. I wrote this article and no one else. This is just like when you tried to claim my potty pen article on another forum as one you wrote. Never could prove it. And you can't prove this now because it is a lie. Stop making up lies about me or my articles.

NicoleLJ
09-01-2007, 10:18 AM
Oh thank you for the article! I printed it and will use some of those ideas. I never thought about carrying a baby doll around, but I am going to start doing that. I will have to look for a recording of baby sounds too, that's a great idea. Thank you so much!

Your very welcome. This is why I wrote it. It is amazing how many people feel they need to get rid of the dog because of a baby coming and it is soooo not true. I know you don't feel that way but as you have seen many others do. All it takes is some time is all.

gemini9961
09-01-2007, 12:53 PM
Jen, that's awful. Hubby and I will be starting a family in a couple of years and I would never think about getting rid of one of the dogs, that's silly. People are ignorant and ill-informed. It's those people who make the shelters so crowded with unwanted pets. I can't imagine not having my kids grow up without any pets.

cyber-sibes
09-01-2007, 01:41 PM
It is titled "Baby? Aren't I The Baby? ©"Nicole & Sheena & PuppiesNicole, that's a terrific article! Along with that wonderful picture, you have so many practical suggestions. I will certainly pass your link along to anyone I come across who may find it helpful. :) I love all the good stuff I find here on PT!

sparks19
09-01-2007, 01:48 PM
We are dealing with a similar situation with my mother in law. Everytime we talk to her she just HAS to mention how worried she is that the dogs are going to hurt the baby. PFFT.

she actually said to me one day "I am worried that you are going to leave the baby on the couch and the dogs are going to pounce on it and think it's a toy"

:eek:

first off.....

You think I am going to LEAVE the baby on the COUCH.... ALONE.... UNATTENDED. Seriously? I may be a first time mother but I am not an idiot.

Second....

You think my dogs are that stupid that they will think a human infant is a toy?

Wow....just.... WOW.

it really gets me riled up whenever she says anything about it.Usually she is talking to Brian and he tells her to give it a rest that she doesn't know what she is talking about.

I told him that when she comes to visit after the baby is here and if she gets nasty with the dogs or tries to keep them away from the baby or acts out towards them in any other way or brings it up.... I will be tired, grumpy, and probably a little sore.... and I will likely snap and say everything I have tried not to say up to that point. Luckily he just said "and i will back you up every step of the way. this is our family and I will not have her treat any member of it that way."

But it amazes me how non dog people just don't get it.

My mom is a dog person so it never crossed her mind to say such a thing. We always had dogs when I was a kid.

Suki Wingy
09-01-2007, 11:51 PM
I also agree kids need to ba around animals growing up. We had a big barbeque the other week and Niño was running around in the yard with everyone. Most of the kids either were used to him or they had their own dog but one neighbor who says she just doesn't like pets doesn't know what she is doing to her child. Fleur is a lovley toddler but she was afraid of Niño and her mother said, "She's never been around a dog before." That just seemed so sad, so I bent down, had Niño sit, and I introduced him and let her tough his neck. When kids learn to respect and care for something else with feelings such as an animal they most likely will learn to respect humans in turn.

crow_noir
09-02-2007, 01:22 AM
:eek: OMG that is such freaken B.S.!!!

You know your dog is a sweetheart... just ignore those others.

My nanny was a male GSD (possibly mix). He let no harm come to me. He was used to being an outside dog, but when i came along he adjusted into an indoor dog just fine.

People have been telling me 'you can't keep that dog! He might hurt the baby!' and things like that. People are really astonished that we would have a large german shepherd in the house with a newborn.

Hellow
09-02-2007, 02:07 AM
If someone told me that i could'nt keep my pet because of an baby i would say **** ***! lol

Taz_Zoee
09-02-2007, 02:11 PM
All I can say is WOW! Our neighbors have a LARGE Boxer. In case you don't know, Boxers are very hyper dogs. They now have twins, I think they are about 3 years old. Dodger is sooo protective of those children. He has NEVER hurt them and wouldn't let anyone else get close enough to hurt them either. Ever since the kids were born, Dodger will not allow any other dogs to even get near the house without barking his head off. He actually attacked Zoee one night when I went over there. He charged through the back door and got her. Luckily he didn't hurt her at all, but it scared the crap out of me. And I know it was only because of the children. He wasn't like that before they were born.
When I was a baby we had a black Lab named Sam. We had annual family reunions at the park. And when I was tiny he was laying with me on the blanket and someone we knew (but he didn't) came up to see me and he growled at them and wouldn't let them near me.
I think every family should have a dog. And I'm trying to talk my friend (who is deathly afraid of animals) to get a dog for when her baby is born in January. It's not going so well. lol

critter crazy
09-02-2007, 02:27 PM
Ugghhhhh....People can be so Ignorant!! I had a large Rottweiler, when I was pregnant with my son, and I heard the same things!! She was the greatest dog, and was so gentle with my son when he was born, she was a great Nanny, and a valuble protector. Some people just dont get it!!

Here are some pics, so you can see.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c131/mjones77/Our%20Family/100_3888.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c131/mjones77/Our%20Family/100_3886.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c131/mjones77/Our%20Family/100_3904.jpg

Romance
09-03-2007, 09:51 AM
I read that yrs ago in a vet's office, only it had a different titile----"What did I do wrong?"

I think I have that here, I'll find it, and scan it, and post it, mike