PDA

View Full Version : Pet store complaint results

IRescue452
08-30-2007, 05:32 PM
I finally got an email about what happened with the pet stores I complained about. The guy was trying to call for weeks but I work during his office hours.

Pet store #1 got a $75 dollar fine for selling bulk aquarium rock without a permit and pet food that could be considered bulk. Inspector noted that the young mouse and hamster were sleeping together and looked cute. Inspector noted that the banned species of tutle had proper paperwork to be sold as it was purchased over a year ago by the store. Inspector did not note bugs in rodent tanks at the time. Since store has had issues before, random inspections will continue.

Pet store #2 got off scott free. "Store is new and managers are trying to learn animal care". Puppies had papers stating they are 8 weeks old.

Its clear to me that the inspector knows little about rodent or reptile care. Its still wrong to house predator and prey in the same cage for purposes other than food. And that mouse will still probably be killed.

Also, petland must either honestly not had younger puppies during the day of the inspection, since they sell like hotcakes. Or they had false papers. They did lie about puppies coming in at 8 weeks. I met somebody at the dog park with a 7.5 week old petland puppy. And that stupid inspector must not have done more than glance at the mite infested rats and mice.

I'm gonna continue to prod so long as I'm in my legal limits.

Kalei
08-30-2007, 06:12 PM
lol is funny how no matter how hard a customer will complain, nothing usually happens.

I hate that, some of these places shouldn't be allowed to sell living things.

mousie
08-30-2007, 08:38 PM
Wow. How sad that those inspectors didn't care at all. I bought my rats at a pet shop, but it's a very good one that's privately owned and is just a small family owned buisness. They have higher prices but treat their animals very well. Heck, when I bought my rats they were living in a 30 by 30 inch giant cage that is supposed to hold like 6 rats, but mine were the only ones in it. I've also seen some really bad pet shops, but they weren't bad enough to complain about and they were both in New Jersey as I saw them while I was on vacation. But thanks for caring about the animals and reporting them. I'm glad you're helping out the pet community.

Giselle
08-30-2007, 10:53 PM
Education education education. No demand, no supply. It's so easy to hate Petland, but, really, it's the buyer's fault. If not at Petland, it will be at a BYB or a puppy miller. I hope you can bring about some significant change, though. Pet stores just shouldn't sell animals. The local pet food chain around here has a staunch no-animal policy. I just wish more stores would do the same.

Hellow
08-30-2007, 11:23 PM
The only pet stores i buy from are my local PetsMarts because their cages and store overall is clean and their animals are all well fed and watered. Their store staff are very friendly, their shelves are always stocked,and they have the most services in one place that i have ever seen. I bought Little Bit there after my last gerbil, Jack, died. I just wish all pet stores was like that...