PDA

View Full Version : Books on pets

IRescue452
08-30-2007, 05:10 AM
This is inspired by the latest fish tank post.
Has anybody found a book about the basic care of a pet species that has good information? All the books I've read have outdated information, even those published this year. I've also spotted books with pictures labeled wrong. A mouse book I have has several pictures that are clearly rats, labeled as mice. These books are written by people who don't know nor care about what they are telling new owners, so long as they make money. Perhaps in time us pet lovers will publish a book entitled "don't buy that book".

Freedom
08-30-2007, 07:53 AM
I found the magazines more up to date and even discussing cutting edge theories. I've had a subscription to Cat Fancy for years, ever since I got my first cat, and I must say I've benefited tremendously!

I had a subscription to Aquarium Fish! (put out by the same company that does Cat Fancy) for several years when I first started with fish tanks, and also found that helpful. If settled into a specific tank, with a set mix of fish and so let that subscription expire after about 6 years. As I have only fresh water, I skipped the marine articles until I was quite settled with my own tanks, then started skimming the marine ones just for general knowledge of what's out there.

I have looked at Dog Fancy at the library fairly often now that I have dogs. It's a bit harder as they try to do breed specific articles along with some general dog things. I borrowed a bunch of bichon books from the library when I first adopted Sugar and like you, found most were out of date and had old style methods.

Hellow
08-30-2007, 09:32 AM
I personally like the Gerbil Care Quick Guide written by Sue Fox that i bought while i was at petsmart. I also like the "an owners guide to an happy healthy pet: the pug" written by Dr. Edward Patterson.

CathyBogart
08-30-2007, 10:56 AM
"The Tarantula Keeper's Guide" isn't a brand new book by any means, but the information is contains is still up to date and very thorough.

"The Corn Snake Manual" by Kathy Love remains an incredibly good book about Corn Snakes. (Well, google the author sometime, it's no surprise!)

Sevaede
08-30-2007, 10:59 AM
"The Tarantula Keeper's Guide" isn't a brand new book by any means, but the information is contains is still up to date and very thorough.

"The Corn Snake Manual" by Kathy Love remains an incredibly good book about Corn Snakes. (Well, google the author sometime, it's no surprise!)

Indeed. Kathy is one of the foremost authorities on corn snakes, aye? I have her book, very good!

Christmas_Hamster
08-30-2007, 01:19 PM
http://www.ratfanclub.org/books.html (pic) The rat care book by Debbie Ducommun. Great rat book

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/510TME383WL._AA240_.jpg (pic) The gerbil care book by Donna Anastasi is great!!

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/I/51TB5T8J70L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg (pic) By: Patricia Bartlett

http://www.amazon.com/Training-Your-Hamster-Gerry-Bucsis/dp/0764120131/ref=sr_1_5/104-9272955-3661536?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1188497846&sr=1-5 (pic) By: Gerry Bucsis and Barbara Somerville

These are some books I reccomend.

mousie
08-30-2007, 08:31 PM
I find the best publisher for animal care books is Barron's, but it really depends on the author so don't just think all Barron's books are good. I have found that these are some good care guides:

-The Parakeet Handbook by Annette Wolter and Immanuel Birmelin
-Guide to a Well-Behaved parrot by Mattie Sue Athan
-A Complete Pet Owner's Manual- Hedgehogs by Matthew M. Vriends
-Training Your Pet Rabbit by Patricia Bartlett
-Complete Care Made Easy- Ferrets by Karen Dale Dustman

Why do I own so many guides? Because the only kind of books I like to read when I'm bored are animal books because I love learning about new pets and dreaming about having something like a ferret or parrot (which my parent would never allow :rolleyes: )

IRescue452
08-30-2007, 09:23 PM
I own tons of animal books as well. I always surf through them at the thrift store and pick out the ones I like. I bought a hamster one for the cute pictures to stick around my room once.