given Bud 3 times the dosage of Azium that he usually
takes(per Doc)). The Dr. says he thinks that Bud just
pulled a groin muscle & will be o k with rest. I have to use
the beach towel to help him go outside tonight & Doc will
check him in the morning. I think the vet is just trying to
help me calm down as I started to cry over the phone. I do
believe that Buddy's done it this time & I think it's more than
a pulled muscle by the way he acts. I can't believe this has
happened. I lost my Mom and now I'm going to lose Buddy.
He can't go thru this again. Please say a prayer that overnite
rest will fix this problem. I can't believe this has happened
to him again. I had to stop crying because he tries to get up
and come over to me and he can't get up with out help.

Sara luvs her Tinky
07-30-2002, 10:29 PM
Poor Buddy..:(
I will say a prayer for Buddy right now... that God will lay his healing hand on Buddy. Please have faith that God can heal him.. and hugs to you... hang in there.

sammi
07-30-2002, 10:37 PM
Liz, you have had enough to deal with lately. I will say a prayer for Buddy and hope that he is not injured baddly. Please think positive tonight.

lizbud
07-30-2002, 10:56 PM
The drugs I gave him are starting to kick in now & he's
laying on his side resting. He's slobbering really bad,but
that's the medicine. I'm trying to act normal and just try
to keep him relaxed & resting. He always naps when I'm
on the computer. I want to go in another room & just scream
but I can't upset him now. Please say some heavy duty prayers
if you will, in my heart & gut I don't think this is just a minor
muscle pull. I just can't believe this has happened to him again.
I feel so bad right now, but I'm going to logoff & try to keep
my composure for Buds sake. Thanks for the prayers. Liz.

Sudilar
07-30-2002, 11:36 PM
Liz, I will pray for a little miracle here. My heart goes out to you. I will be praying. Please let us know.

DoggiesAreTheBest
07-31-2002, 06:06 AM
Oh, Liz! I hope Buddy is going to be OK! You have been through so much lately.

I will pray that it is nothing major and hope for the best.

AdoreMyDogs
07-31-2002, 06:21 AM
Liz, I am sending nothing but positive thoughts your way. I hope Bud is OK and it truly is just a minor injury. I am going to think only positive thoughts about this...Buddy will be OK. Please get some rest and try to relax, and please tell us how he is when you find out.

Love,

Leslie

Logan
07-31-2002, 06:37 AM
Oh, Liz and Buddy, I'm so sorry that you're having yet another problem to deal with. Please know that we are praying hard for Buddy to be ok. Let us know, when you can, what the vet says this morning.

We love you guys.
Logan

KYS
07-31-2002, 06:41 AM
Many good thoughts, wishes and prayers
for Buddy to be ok.
Keep us posted on Buddy's Vet visit.

tatsxxx11
07-31-2002, 07:10 AM
Oh, no!! Liz, I can't believe this has happened!!:( You have had so much sadness and loss to deal with lately. Please, please don't give up hope!! I know how upset and frightened you must be. But ALL of us are sending you and our beloved Buddy our love and strongest prayers. We love you Liz and Buddy. Please God, take of our Buddy and make him well again. Love, Sandra, Cody and Star.

anna_66
07-31-2002, 07:23 AM
Oh, poor Buddy. This is just awful, we will say a prayer for him. It's terrible to see them hurt:(

Dixieland Dancer
07-31-2002, 09:07 AM
Dear Father, you are the great physician. You have healed the lame and made the blind to see. You have raised the dead. You tell us that is we have faith as small as a mustard seed grain, that nothing is impossible if we believe.

So we come to you Lord with faith as small as the mustard seed and yet growing and maturing because you revel yourself to us through the miracles of healing. We ask you to touch Buddy and heal whatever is wrong with him. Lord, give his vet your wisdom and knowledge to know what is wrong and to treat him so that his healing can be complete and we can say it is so because the Lord is great.

Father, I also ask for your peace, the peace that passes all understanding to be given to Liz. She needs your touch also. Please bring someone into her life today that will touch her with your comfort and love.

Father, we ask these things in your precious son's name, our Lord and Savior, Christ Jesus. Amen.

http://www.mustardseedseries.com/images/s041902.jpg

jackiesdaisy1935
07-31-2002, 09:26 AM
Oh Liz, we are sending you prayers, good positive thoughts and all of our fingers and paws crossed that Buddy will be O.K. Please think positive right now, you have been through so much and maybe the Vet is right and he will be good after some extra rest.
Take care of yourself too, that's important.
Will be thinking of you all day and please let us know how he is doing when you have a chance.
Jackie, Miss Daisy and Perry

Sudilar
07-31-2002, 09:34 AM
Any news yet? Prayers are coming your way strong!

lizbud
07-31-2002, 09:52 AM
Sorry to say but Buddy is acting no better at all this
morning. If anything, he's worse. He cannot support
any weight on either back leg. Last night he at least
was able to hobble on three legs with me holding him
in the towel sling. The vet does not have Weds. hours.
One vet tech is in the office until 11:00am & I've talked
with her this morning.I have plenty of various pain & anti
inflamatory RX's here & they have told me how much to
give him.A neighbor down the street has the day off & has
agreed to come over to help me take him out to pee, etc.
The vet tech said since she is by herself in the office she can't
come today, but will come over tomorrow morning to help
get Buddy into the car for what will probably be his last vet
visit. Since he cannot use either of his rear legs, it does not
look good at all. He will not be considered a good candidate
for additional surgery on the right leg. Will wait & see what
Bud acts like later today, but I am without hope that he can
come back from this one. I will not let him linger on and suffer
any more. If he doesn't at least make an effort to use one
of his back legs today, his life with me is done.He cried so much
last night, that high pitched Shepherd whine, it almost broke
my heart. He's had more medicine this morning & is resting now.
Thank you all for your prayers. Liz & Buddy.

jennifert
07-31-2002, 10:00 AM
No Liz, this is not happening! Buddy will be fine, please hang in there and think positive.....I am sending all my good wishes and strength your way and will continue to do so....

Love and good wishes from Jennifer and Duncan.

Karen
07-31-2002, 10:08 AM
Oh, Buddy, try to rest, now. Mama's so so worried about you, and we know you are hurting, too. Please sleep for a little while, then try your hardest baby, Mam's heart is breaking, please get better enough to let her hope.

Good boy, Buddy, sleep now, and try later, We love you!

Former User
07-31-2002, 10:12 AM
Oh, this is so incredibly sad, I am so sorry Liz. You don't deserve this (no-one does), and I wish I could take some of your pain away. Please stay strong, and you too Buddy, hang in there boy!

Stenograsaurus
07-31-2002, 10:14 AM
I am so sorry you are going through this, Liz. I'm praying hard for you and Buddy today.

Sudilar
07-31-2002, 10:21 AM
No, Liz, give him a chance. Don't think like that. Don't give up hope. It may not be over yet. Wait, see what the vet says. I know the whine you are talking about. I heard it with my GSD Wolf with hip dysplasia. I heard it with Avalanche's ACL rupture. I know how you feel about hearing them in pain. It is gut-wrenching, but still, he may recover. Think positive thoughts. We are praying for a miracle here. Miracles have happened here before and we are praying for another. Don't give up. We are with you.

Dixieland Dancer
07-31-2002, 10:59 AM
Dear Liz,
My heart is breaking at hearing the agony of this situation in your voice. Please do not give up hope. There is always hope. Please give Buddy a hug and a kiss for me.
Love,
Candy

Logan
07-31-2002, 11:06 AM
You have to have hope, Liz. I know you are hurting terribly, and I'm sorry that we're not closer to be there with you, and help you with Buddy through this trying time. Please know that you are both continuing to be in our hearts and prayers.

Logan

Albea
07-31-2002, 11:33 AM
Liz:
Our thoughts and prayers are going to you with the hope that they will help heal Buddy. Please don't give up, if you do so will Buddy. Stay strong and have faith until you see the vet. I wish I could do more to help. A big hug to you and Buddy from Alicia.

momoffuzzyfaces
07-31-2002, 11:43 AM
Liz
Prayers are on the way for both you and Buddy.

TheAntiPam
07-31-2002, 02:33 PM
Dear Liz, I'm so sorry that Buddy has had another injury! I'll keep on praying for healing and soothing of his pain - and of yours too as you have to make such big decisions for the both of you.

lizbud
07-31-2002, 05:16 PM
My friend came over about 1 hour ago & helped me take
Buddy outside to the yard. Bud actually sat up completely
on his on and stood up (shakely) while I wrapped the sling
around his back end. He definately needed our help to get
out but it did go a lot smoother for him than this mornings
outee. Buddy's eyes looked so much clearer, there was less
pain in his expression. At least he did put weight on the other
back leg this time, but he is very weak & does not move
around inside the house at all.I bring him drinks of water &
food and he eats & drinks laying down. The vet tech is coming
over tomorrow morning to help get Bud into the office.I'm anxious
to hear what the vet will say after a hands on exam.I'm
really putting on my bravest face for Buddy & trying hard to
stay positive about tomorrow. Thank you all so much for your
encouragement & prayers. Liz & Buddy.

Edwina's Secretary
07-31-2002, 05:29 PM
I am hoping so hard for a positive outcome for Buddy!

Sara luvs her Tinky
07-31-2002, 05:38 PM
Yes.. prayers are still coming for dear Buddy...:(

tatsxxx11
07-31-2002, 05:59 PM
That's an encouraging update, Liz. Hopefully tomorrow Buddy will be even stronger. I know how terribly anguished you are. But we all are going to think nothing but positive, healing thoughts. You and brave Buddy will be in our prayers this night and tomorrow and forever how long it takes for him to heal. Please let us know how the vet visit went when you can. Don't give up!!!!! And please know that we all are behind our dear friend Liz and her best bud Buddy, every step of the way. Love and hugs and healing prayers are coming your way. Love, Sandra, Cody and Star

Sudilar
07-31-2002, 06:07 PM
I'm glad that he is at least a little better. That is encouraging. I am still praying for that miracle. Hang in there, liz. Give Buddy a hug from us.

Cinder & Smoke
07-31-2002, 06:58 PM
:(

Hi, God ~

Cinder & Smokey here - Onna Prayer Line...

Sorrie to bother You agin;
But this is purdy Seer-eus!

Our Pal Buddy, an his Mom, Miz Liz, need summa
Yer Best Help this time.
Buddy's hurtin kinda bad, an his Mom is wurried frantik.

God, kud Ya *paLeeze* reach down and
lay Yer Heelin Hanz on poor Buddy's sore leg?

And also send sum Hope to his Mom?

An maybe say sumpin to the Doc, too? You knowe -
offer summa Yer Speshul *Good Pointerz* to help fix up his bum leg?

All us Pet Talkers are crossin Pawz & Klawz an sendin Prayers ~
An we'ed reelee preciate Your help! ;)

Thanks, God!

sottice
07-31-2002, 09:24 PM
Liz and Buddy,
We're praying for you both. Hang in there!

gini
07-31-2002, 09:32 PM
Dear Liz, you have my heartfelt prayers for you and Buddy.

lovemymaltese
07-31-2002, 10:58 PM
prayers are on the way for precious Buddy.

Rachel
08-01-2002, 05:42 AM
Oh Liz, I just found this post. Sometimes I don't go to the Dog Health area because I am afraid I will find threads like this one.
I just want to cry and cry.

Buddy, please get well. I know you are trying so hard for your Mama. It is so upsetting to know that you are hurting yet again. All of us love the Buddy Boy so much. We really, really do.

Liz, I know whatever decisions you make for Buddy will be the right ones because there just is no one who could care more for an animal than you do. You do the best you can for Buddy. That is all anyone can ask.

DoggiesAreTheBest
08-01-2002, 06:20 AM
Liz, I hope that Buddy's appointment goes well today. He has been in my thoughts and prayers.

AdoreMyDogs
08-01-2002, 06:40 AM
Liz, I am at a loss for words. You know how much we care about you and Buddy. Please hang in there and please try to think positive. I am sending positive thoughts your way for our sweet friend, Buddy.

Buddy, you be brave for your mom. She is very sad now. You get better and better, OK?

Sudilar
08-01-2002, 08:23 AM
Thinking of you and Bud today and praying for that miracle. Hang in there. We are with you.

jennifert
08-01-2002, 08:47 AM
Liz, you and Buddy are in my thoughts today. I'll continue to send you good wishes and warm thoughts, along with prayers...Please keep us updated when you can.

Love,

Jennifer & Duncan

tatsxxx11
08-01-2002, 09:10 AM
Prayers for our Buddy. We love you Buddy and will be thinking of you all day. We're hoping for a miracle. Love Sandra

Dixieland Dancer
08-01-2002, 10:33 AM
Dear Liz, I am still praying for Buddy and you. I believe in miracles!

lizbud
08-01-2002, 11:14 AM
Well, The vet tech came over this morning & helped me
get Buddy into my car for the ride to Vet's office. Doc said
that it doesn't look real good, but for Buddy's sake & for my
peace of mind, he will keep him there overnight. He is on a
I heard the vet instruct the tech to put him on an "IV-Bute"
for 24 hrs to see if he can get back up on three legs. The vet
tech mentioned that she noticed the toes of Bud's front feet
were bluckleing when she helped him down the front yard.
Doc said he would try to find a "miracle bullet" and give him
this 24 hours to see if he can spring back.I'm to call later on
today after 3:30 or so to see how Bud is doing. We are giving
Buddy every chance, so I guess it's in God's hands now.
I decided to come on into work and take tomorrow off b/c
we should know what's best for Bubby by then. Thank you
all my, sweet, sweet friends for your prayers & encouragement.
Love, from Liz & Buddy.

DoggiesAreTheBest
08-01-2002, 11:27 AM
Oh Liz! Bud is in my thoughts. I hope that the vet's efforts are successful. Please let us know how it goes.

jennifert
08-01-2002, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the update Liz! Hang in there. Your tone sounds a little better today so I will take that as good sign and run with it! Buddy is in good hands now and I'm confident that with all of Pet Talk all around the world pushing for him and sending prayers and good thoughts, he will be come around.

Please take care of yourself.

Love, Jennifer & Duncan

Logan
08-01-2002, 12:57 PM
Oh, Liz. I know the next 24 hours will be so hard for you, wondering if Buddy is improving. I have been there and done that before and it is so hard. Please know that our prayers continue to be with you and Buddy and his veterinarian. We can and need to think positively about Buddy's chances for recovery. And we will! But regardless of the outcome, he is loved by so many, especially you, but all of us too. We're here for you.

Logan

Sudilar
08-01-2002, 01:32 PM
My heart goes out to you. Praying for that miracle.

tatsxxx11
08-01-2002, 01:41 PM
I'm not giving up hope and will continue to pray for that miracle. Remember we are all with you in spirit and come here to talk if you feel like it. I know how difficult the next 24hrs. will be for you. But, you're not alone Liz. Love, Sandra

lovemymaltese
08-01-2002, 04:32 PM
Hang in there Buddy, still praying for ya!

lizbud
08-01-2002, 04:45 PM
I just talked to the Vet & he said Buddy's eyes are clear,
they have taken him outside several times(with the IV drip bag)
and he's resting comfortably otherwise. The Vet can't say for
sure the the ACL is torn completely, but will be better able
to evaluate him in the morning after 24 hrs of the medication.
Doc did say that he stands up right away when they come
back to his kennel. Poor baby, I just know Bud thinks I've
come to spring him when the Vet tech's go back to take him
outside. I miss him like crazy and it's not even 5 o'clock yet. Liz.

Sudilar
08-01-2002, 04:49 PM
Liz, the news sounds encouraging. Hang in there. We are all still praying for that miracle!

zippy-kat
08-01-2002, 04:50 PM
I'm a little late to the thread but please know, I'm hoping with every fiber of my being and sending prayers & warm thoughts for a recovery.

{{buddy and liz}}

Logan
08-01-2002, 05:10 PM
You go, Buddy!!!!! Don't give up hope!!!! Liz, I'm feeling awfully good about this right now.....he's responding, he's standing. Please know that you are all continuing to be in our prayers. Go Buddy!!!!! :D

tatsxxx11
08-01-2002, 06:36 PM
Buddy, Killian, Graham, what courageous, brave, heroic pups we have here on PT! You give em hell, Buddy!!!!! Rest easy boy. I have high hopes that tomorrow will bring more encouraging news!! Liz, try and hang in there. Oh, I know how much you miss your Bud. He's in wonderful hands and getting great care. Your job now is to try and rest up yourself, get some sleep and keep up the good work thinking those positive thoughts! We love you guys!!! The prayers continue for our dear friend and his Mom. Love, Sandra, Cody and Star!

Dixieland Dancer
08-01-2002, 08:45 PM
Things are definitely sounding much better! I'm beginning to think the prayers of our Pet Talk family are very effective. I especially think God loves to hear from Cinder and Smoke!

Keep up the prayers everyone! Liz we are here for you. Don't give up hope!

Rachel
08-02-2002, 06:18 AM
Buddy Boy you never really leave our thoughts and our prayers. I am praying as much for your Mama as for you because I know what hurts you hurts her even more. Keep your tail up, Buddy.

your friends, Rachel, Hannah and Tucker

DoggiesAreTheBest
08-02-2002, 06:58 AM
That is encouraging news, Liz. I am very optimistic about Buddy's recovery after reading your last post. I am sure that you had a lonely evening without him, but hopefully, he can come home soon!

tatsxxx11
08-02-2002, 07:54 AM
Good Morning Liz. Just wanted you to know we're thinking of you and Bud and hoping for some good news today. Prayers continue. Love, Sandra, Star and Cody.

mruffruff
08-02-2002, 08:07 AM
Liz, I'll keep Buddy in my prayers too. Hang in there; it has to get better with all the Pet Talkers on your side!

Mary

jennifert
08-02-2002, 08:34 AM
Keep up the good work Buddy!!! Liz, I'm thrilled to hear the news about Buddy!! Hang in there! We're thinking of you!!

jackiesdaisy1935
08-02-2002, 09:08 AM
Liz, just as God listened to the prayers for Daisy and Perry so will he listen to the prayers for Buddy. He will do what is right for him.
I am praying and thinking positive thoughts for Buddy and for you and it sounds like he is doing better and looking forward to getting home again. All of the dogs on Pettalk belong to all of us, we laugh, we feel sad and we cry when they are ill just as if they are our own. Buddy seems to have a strong will and I think that strength will get him through this. Please know that we will be thinking of him all day until we hear he is well.

Stenograsaurus
08-02-2002, 09:12 AM
Praying hard for Buddy!!!!!

Sudilar
08-02-2002, 09:33 AM
Still praying hard for that miracle. Hope things are better today. Will be thinking of you all day.

lizbud
08-02-2002, 09:37 AM
It is with a heavy heart that I have come to say that
Buddy will be put to sleep today around noon. The Vet
called me this morning and Bud still has not regained the
use of either of his rear legs.He is still on pain medication
but is alert otherwise. Doc said it took two of them to help
him outside this morning.Doc said if Buddy were his dog
his recommendation would still be the same. We have done
everything possible, but, he can not be helped anymore than
what's already been done. I'm going over to the Vet's office
in a little while to spend some time with Buddy.To hug him
and kiss him and stay with him for awhile before the procedure
is done. Doc says that the noon hour would offer me the most
privacy to be with my baby boy Buddy. My heart is breaking.

DoggiesAreTheBest
08-02-2002, 09:44 AM
Oh Liz! What sad news! I do not know what to say or do to comfort you, for I know that you are in so much pain right now.

Your decision is a very unselfish one. I know that it hurts you to see Buddy suffer. You had great memories of the sweet boy and he will be waiting for you at the bridge.

Logan
08-02-2002, 09:45 AM
:( Oh, Liz, I am so sorry. You are so brave to come here and post with us. But I know that you know we have all had you and Buddy in our hearts and prayers. I sometimes selfishly pray for good outcomes, but God is good, and he knows what is best. Kiss Buddy for all of us, and know that he will be pain free and happy, and waiting for you. We love you, and will be here for you.

Logan :(

Sudilar
08-02-2002, 10:14 AM
Oh Liz, my heart is breaking!!! Know that my heart will be right with you when you do what must be done. You will have the strength and courage that we are all sending you today. More than any time before, your love for Buddy shines through today. {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

ramanth
08-02-2002, 10:35 AM
Liz....ohhh no... :( :( :(

I don't know what to say.. I'm so sorry.

*Hugs*

gini
08-02-2002, 10:37 AM
Morning prayers have been said for Buddy and you too, Liz.

gini
08-02-2002, 10:44 AM
Liz, I am so very sorry. I posted before seeing your news. My heart goes out to you as I understand fully, your pain.

Please keep posting with us - everyone here will be right at your side to help you in any way we can.

Dixieland Dancer
08-02-2002, 10:46 AM
God's speed dear Buddy. Please say hello to my Taffey, Roxey, Ginger and Butch. I can see them there waiting to welcome you to play painfree with them.

Dear Liz,
I know how heavy your heart is right now. I shed tears for your loss and for the pain you are going through. I wish I could be there to comfort you in person. I would hug you and let you cry on my shoulder for as long as you needed. Please feel my presence through these words. We love you and will be here for you as best we can from so far away. Let me know if there is anything I can do in addition to continuing to pray for you.

This is my hug for you. {{{{{{{HUG}}}}}}}

Cinder & Smoke
08-02-2002, 10:48 AM

Hi, God ~

Cinder an Smokey; onna Prayer Line...

No disrespect - we knowe You tried to help
Momma Liz an Dear Buddy; but
we jest dont unnerstand... :confused:

We kinda figger You have anudder Big Speshul Project
atta Rainbow Bridge; an needed a Reel Speshul
Angel to help out...

But Miz Liz is missin her Buddy sumpin terrabul ~
Kan You puLeeze send her down sum extra Cumfort and
maybe reach down wiffa Hanz an give her a God's {{{Hugg}}}?

When the time is right - how bout sendin her a lil Needy Dawg to help
fill up the emptee spot in her heart?

Wun more thing, Dear God ~
Pleeeze stretch out a Paw to help guide our Buddy up to the Rainbow Bridge...

Thanks, God...

An Momma Liz ~ Onlee remember the Good Dayz - the Many Dayz of joy an happiness :) you and Buddy shared together. Buddy will meet you at the Bridge.

manda99
08-02-2002, 11:03 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about your Buddy.

Take care.

lizbud
08-02-2002, 11:08 AM
I'm glad I logged on one more time before leaving to
be with Buddy. Your kind words mean so much to me.
I just wanted to share a poem that Doc suggested I read
this morning.

The Last Battle

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
and pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
Fot this-- the last battle--can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
but don't let grief then stay your hand,
for on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
you wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes,please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only stay with me until the end
and hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
it is a kindness you do for me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
from pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
who has to decide this think to do;
We've been so close--we two--these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.
Unknown

I will give Buddy a hug & kiss from all his Pet Talk Pals. Liz.

Karen
08-02-2002, 11:30 AM
Oh, Buddy, look for my Sheba-dog, won't you? She'll bring you to meet my mama, who will spoil you until your own family comes to get you, okay? Sheba dog is the best, smartest dog, and she'll show you everything you need to know.

momoffuzzyfaces
08-02-2002, 11:52 AM
Oh, Buddy!! Oh, Liz!!
You are now in the fork of the road we all wish would never come. How I wish I could make this easy on both of you. Just think of Buddy running on all four legs in a field of flowers. No more pain except for missing his Liz but he will understand that won't be forever, just a while. He will have lots of other animals to play with and angels to cuddle and keep him safe until you are both together again. Go in peace sweet Buddy. You will be missed. Prayers are with you Liz.

zippy-kat
08-02-2002, 12:48 PM
So, so sorry this has happened to you Liz.
You are doing a brave, unselfish act.

{{hugs}}

sottice
08-02-2002, 01:22 PM
Oh Liz,
My prayers are with you. I know your heart is breaking, and you will miss Buddy terribly. Remember the good times, and eventually you will be able to remember without pain; only gladness for all the years you had together.

May God bless and comfort you in your loss.

K9karen
08-02-2002, 01:36 PM
:( :( :( :(
Dear Liz..
No words can even express how I feel.
That poem, so true and touching always makes me cry.
You are so brave and unselfish.
I know Buddy had a safe trip to the bridge and given his much deserved wings.
He'll still be taking good care of you.
Remember, Liz, we all love you, care about you and feel your pain
We are here for you always.
{{{ hugs}}}}
Karen

jackiesdaisy1935
08-02-2002, 02:46 PM
Oh Liz, what a sad day, I know how much you loved Buddy as I love Perry and Daisy. I keep that poem in my desk and read it quite often, it did help me when we lost Kona in the same circumstances that you lost Buddy.

Right now there is not much one can say to stop the hurt and I know how much you miss him. I feel that he is at the bridge with all of our beloved pups and beloved friends who went before him, I'm sure they are showing him the way and Kona will mother him as she did Perry and Daisy before she made the journey.

Please know that we are all here to listen, talk about him, listen some more and help in any way that we can. I am so sorry, you have our deepest sympathy.
Jackie, Don, Miss Daisy and Perry

Pam
08-02-2002, 02:56 PM
Liz I am sorry that I haven't seen this post until now. Logan e-mailed me with the sad news and I have just now read each positive post right up until the one where you said the arrangements were being made. That is when the tears started. I think most of us here at Pet Talk have walked down the road you are now walking. There are not words to describe the feelings, but we all know them well and can commiserate with the tremendous sense of loss you are feeling now. Liz, I am glad that you have this wonderful Pet Talk family to lean on at this time. Sometimes even our friends and families don't understand but the Pet Talk family does. I feel just terrible for you and want you to know how much I care. Buddy, you were loved very much here on earth and we rejoice that you are pain-free at last at the Rainbow Bridge. {{{Hugs}}} to you Liz who now face a life without your friend. We will keep you in our prayers.

tatsxxx11
08-02-2002, 02:59 PM
Oh Liz, I am so, so very heartbroken that you must part with your beloved Buddy. You are the bravest, most loving, most selfless Mom a dog could ever hope for. Your decsion was made out of love and I am sure Buddy knew that. I know that now your Buddy is running happy and whole and free and without pain in the most beautiful place imaginable. I know too that my Jingles is there to greet sweet Bud and show him around. I know no words can ease your pain right now. But you have so many friends who love you and Buddy deeply and we are all here to give you our strength, support and love. My heart is breaking. But as Phred says, God must be in need of one very special pup to help hin in his work. I know one thing for sure, Buddy is one of God's most cherished furangels. I send you and your family my deep sympathies, love and a very big hug of comfort. I wish I could do more. It is like losing one of my own. Bless you Buddy. You are very loved and will be missed by us all. Love Sandra, Star and Cody

Rachel
08-02-2002, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by lizbud

Don't grieve that it must be you
who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close--we two--these years,

That poem was one that helped me as well over 3.5 years ago, especially the lines above.

Buddy, our dear, dear boy. You find my Bailey and Tizzie at the Bridge. They are very good girls and you can all tell stories about your Moms and all run and play with no pain. Then you be sure to watch for us, okay? We'll keep an eye on your Mom for you, so you don't have to worry about her.

Keep your tail up, Buddy, and wag it lots.

08-02-2002, 03:16 PM
As I haven't been on pc much lately , I had not noticed this thread until now ...

Oh my dear Liz , You must be crying your eyes out now .... .
I know how it feels .. I only just lost my beloved cat Sydney one week ago .. It feels as if a truck ran over your heart and stomach ; everything is acking so much ...!
Please dear Liz , accept my sincere condolances !! I want to give you the same advise as al these dear Pettalkers gave me :

try to remember all the nice things you did with Buddy , all the sweet moments you had together !!! Buddy is playing at the Rainbow Bridge now , maybe he met my Sydney already !!!
You have given him a wonderful life and you did everything you could to save his life !!!
Please do not feel guilthy because you decided to let him go !! This was the most beautiful thing you could do for your darling !!!

Be brave now dear Liz !! We , Pettalkers , will get you through this ordeal !!!

trisha0503
08-02-2002, 03:31 PM
Dearest Liz,
I'm crying right now as I read this post. I'll be praying for you. Let me share this poem that I found in the web. I could hear Buddy's voice as he comforts you. He had the best time of his life.

Take care of yourself and God Bless,
Rosebel Cuevas,
Missy's Mom (a Golden Retriever) from Miramar, FL

I'm Still Here

Friend, please don't mourn for me
I'm still here, though you don't see.
I'm right by your side each night and day
and within your heart I long to stay.

My body is gone but I'm always near.
I'm everything you feel, see or hear.
My spirit is free, but I'll never depart
as long as you keep me alive in your heart.

I'll never wander out of your sight-
I'm the brightest star on a summer night.
I'll never be beyond your reach-
I'm the warm moist sand when you're at the beach.

I'm the colorful leaves when fall comes around
and the pure white snow that blankets the ground.
I'm the beautiful flowers of which you're so fond,
The clear cool water in a quiet pond.

I'm the first bright blossom you'll see in the spring,
The first warm raindrop that April will bring.
I'm the first ray of light when the sun starts to shine,
and you'll see that the face in the moon is mine.

When you start thinking there's no one to love you,
you can talk to me through the Lord above you.
I'll whisper my answer through the leaves on the trees,
and you'll feel my presence in the soft summer breeze.

I'm the hot salty tears that flow when you weep
and the beautiful dreams that come while you sleep.
I'm the smile you see on a baby's face.
Just look for me, friend, I'm everyplace!

mugsy
08-02-2002, 04:33 PM
Liz,

I'm so sorry. I should have been on here reading. Sue emailed me and told me about Buddy. I understand totally. It hasn't been that long since we lost Butterscotch and Smokey. If there is anything I can do to help please let me know. Call anytime. You and Buddy are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope he found Butterscotch and Smokey...they can be buddies and play together. Buddy was a dear sweet baby. He even got along ok with Tigger which is no small feat. I'll miss him even though we only met once. Know that you're not in this alone.

Molly

lizbud
08-02-2002, 06:05 PM
Thank you all so very much. I got to spend about 30 min.
with Buddy this morning before he went to Rainbow Bridge.
The vet brought Bud into one of the exam rooms & spread
out a carpet for Bud to lay on .They gave me a small bag of
Alpo treats to feed to him as we visited. I hugged him lots
and kissed his sweet face over and over. I told Bud that he
had a whole bunch of people who wished him well & wanted
to say goodbye to him. After awhile the Doc & vet tech came
in and we all sat on the floor with Buddy.I held his head and
kissed his face as Doc gave him the injection to send him on
his journey to the Bridge. He died very peacefully.Bud just
laid his face down on his paw and passed on. My house is a
very lonely place without him. I am having a private cremation
done, with Bud's ashes returned to me.I will bury him in the
back yard in his favorite resting spot. Liz & Buddy.

Sara luvs her Tinky
08-02-2002, 06:07 PM
I am so sorry.
:( :( :( :( :(

sisterdog
08-02-2002, 06:55 PM
:( :( :(
Dear Liz,
You have my heartfelt sympathy. It is so hard to let our dear ones go. I'm sure Buddy will be waiting for you, happy and pain-free at the Rainbow Bridge. Know that my prayers are with you.

jackiesdaisy1935
08-02-2002, 07:43 PM
Oh Liz, I'm crying reading your post, I'm so sad, it does bring back memories of us taking in our 15 year old Schnauzer Kona two years ago, I know exactly how you feel. Buddy is in a better place right now without pain, and I know he will be waiting for you just as I know Kona is waiting for us. I can feel your pain, but Buddy would want you to go on with your life and someday you will look back and laugh at his antics as I do thinking about Kona. Please take care of yourself and get some much needed rest.
Jackie

sasvermont
08-02-2002, 07:54 PM
Liz, this is the first time I have seen this thread. I didn't know until now, that Buddy left us. My heart breaks for you. Prayers and good vibes are coming your way. I can just about see what I am typing, having cried through most of these wonderful messages about you and your love, Buddy.

Rest in peace Buddy.

Stay strong Liz.

Fondly,
Sallyanne

AdoreMyDogs
08-02-2002, 08:07 PM
My dear friend,

Please accept my most sincere condolonces. Buddy was so lucky to have you as his mom, and I feel blessed also to have had him as a friend, even if it was just over the computer.

I am truly sorry for your loss. I know too well the feeling of emptyness of coming home and not havng the faithful dog greet you. Please know that he is still with you and he will always be with you, in spirit. He's truly an angel in every way. He is so happy to be released from his physical body.

I am so sorry, I don't know what to say. You were so brave to hold sweet Buddy while he went to sleep. Not many people can do that.

To the angel, Buddy: Please say hello to Beener for me. He's the yellow labbie who's probablly carrying something in his mouth to greet you as you crossed over the bridge. Tell him momma loves him, always has, always will.

Love to you tonight and always, Liz.

-Leslie, Graham & Kersey

Dixieland Dancer
08-02-2002, 08:15 PM
Liz, I found this on the internet and thought I would share it with you. I was sitting here crying (big tears rolling down my cheeks) and my son asked why. I told him because a friends dog has crossed the rainbow bridge today and I hurt for her because she loved him dearly. He said in his 12 year old way... ' But her dog is having fun now. Tell her to remember that'. So I am.

Beyond The Rainbow

It wasn't that I wanted to or that a choice was to be made,
But I was so very tired and knew my time on earth would fade.
I saw a wondrous image then, of a place that's trouble-free. Where all of us can meet again to spend eternity.

I saw the most beautiful Rainbow,
and on the other side were meadows rich and beautiful -- lush and green and wide!
And running through the meadows as far as the eye could see were animals of every sort as healthy as could be!

My own tired, failing body was fresh and healed and new and I wanted to go run with them, but I had something left to do.
I needed to reach out to you, to tell you I'm alright. That this place is truly wonderful, then a bright glow pierced the night.

'Twas the glow of many candles shining bright and strong and bold and I knew then that it held your love in its brilliant shades of gold!
For altho we may not be together in the way we used to be, we are still connected by a cord no eye can see.

So whenever you need to find me we're never far apart.
If you look beyond the Rainbow and listen with your heart.

Love Buddy

AdoreMyDogs
08-02-2002, 08:21 PM
So beautiful, Candy. And so, so true.

jackiesdaisy1935
08-02-2002, 09:07 PM
Thanks for posting that Dixie, I think it iwill help Liz and I know it made me feel better about Kona.
Jackie

Rachel
08-02-2002, 09:35 PM
Many tears are being shed tonight, not only for Buddy but for all of our departed furkids.

One more good-bye for Buddy too. I know you didn't really know us, like we knew you....but I'd like to think... now you do.

anna_66
08-02-2002, 11:53 PM
I'm so sorry, but I think you are doing what you feel is best because you don't want Buddy to suffer or be in pain anymore.
We will be thinking of you.
Condolences
Anna, Angus, Roxey & Huney

wolf_Q
08-03-2002, 12:19 AM
I just found this thread...I don't tend to wander out of dog general much. I wish I would have read it sooner.

I am so sorry for your loss. I'm crying right now for you and Buddy. :( You will both be in my prayers. I don't yet know what it is like to lose a dog, but I know Smokey won't be around for much longer. Those poems were amazing, I'm glad they were shared.

:( :( :(

Maybe you could post some photos of him as a memorial?

Albea
08-03-2002, 12:32 PM
http://www.villa-kunterbunt2000.de/clipart1/Rainbow/gay09.gif
Dear Buddy:
Now that you are at the other side of the rainbow, where you are not in pain any longer, you'll be able to play to your heart's content while you wait to be reunited with your loving mom some day. In the mean time, if you meet two Golden girls, Natasha and Irina, have fun with them. They went to the Bridge some time ago and will be able to show you around.
Liz dear:
We know how hard this is for you. We share your pain. But, all our faithful companions are together now and will forever be with us until me meet again.
May happy memories of Buddy bring you comfort.
Love from Alicia and Carina.

KYS
08-03-2002, 01:26 PM
Liz,

I cried so hard when I read your post.
I am so sorry to hear about Buddy.
I know it is not much comfort, but Buddy is in a
wonderful place and he will always be watching over you.
Buddy's memory's will live on in our hearts forever.
I am sending you a big cyber HUG
Hugs Karen

lizbud
08-03-2002, 01:40 PM
I feel so alone without my best Bud. He understood me
so well. We connected in a certain instinctual way. It's almost
like Buddy could read my mind & my heart. He was always
there for me with his kind and knowing eyes and quiet strength.
He always managed to keep me in his line of sight even from
another room. The sadness & tears come in waves & I want
him back so bad. Please hug your babies tight. They all have
much to short a time to grace our lives with there specialness.

Pam
08-03-2002, 01:43 PM
Liz we most certainly have not forgotten you and the tremendous loss you are feeling now. You have been on my mind and in my prayers.

anna_66
08-03-2002, 01:59 PM
Liz, I certainly feel your pain, and know the hurt you are feeling right now, as I'm sure alot of us here know that feeling. We're here for you.

tatsxxx11
08-03-2002, 02:14 PM
Dear Liz, you and Buddy have not left my thoughts for a moment. Every chance I had today, I told the people I met of the beautiful, brave, GSD named Buddy and his devoted Mom who is so terribly sad. So many of us have been where you are right now, a place so empty and lonely and sad and we feel such empathy. Nothing can ease your pain right now. But we are here, and we understand every emotion you are feeling. I am sure Buddy is looking down on you right now, sending you his love. You are not alone. Please come talk to us whenever you need to. Hugs, Sandra

Rachel
08-03-2002, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by lizbud
I feel so alone without my best Bud. He understood me
so well. We connected in a certain instinctual way. It's almost
like Buddy could read my mind & my heart. He was always
there for me with his kind and knowing eyes and quiet strength.
He always managed to keep me in his line of sight even from
another room. The sadness & tears come in waves & I want
him back so bad. Please hug your babies tight. They all have
much to short a time to grace our lives with there specialness.

I know, I know.

AdoreMyDogs
08-03-2002, 04:02 PM
Liz, I know so well what you are feeling. I am so sorry for you. You are such a special, wonderful person. You are still in my thoughts. You are suffering a huge loss right now, and we all understand completely. It is the hardest thing in the world to have to go through. I hope you are finding comfort in your good memories of Buddy.

Lots of love is being sent your way from me and my family during this time of grieving.

mugsy
08-03-2002, 09:45 PM
Liz,

My heart goes out to you. I remember all too well that feeling of emptiness. All I can say is that it does get a little easier with time. My offer still stands to call whenever you feel like talking.

Molly

jackiesdaisy1935
08-03-2002, 09:58 PM
Liz, I have been thinking about you and Buddy all day, I know how difficult it is to lose your best friend, and I am feeling the pain with you. Please know that we are all here for you whenever you feel like talking, yes, I will hold Perry and Daisy a little closer tonight and will be thinking about Buddy at the Rainbow Bridge.

Sudilar
08-03-2002, 11:03 PM
Liz, the best place to cry is in the shower.

The silence is deafening, I know. The hardest part is coming home.

When each of my furbabies died, I bought a Sandicast statue of their breed and put their dog tags around its neck. I also made a photo album dedicated to them. Then I went out to rescue a dog.

It takes time, a long time to smile again, but that day will come...Hang on......We're all with you.

Logan
08-04-2002, 06:26 AM
Good morning, Liz. I haven't had you and Buddy far from my thoughts over the last few days either. You have to take time to grieve. You have suffered two great losses too close together.

Please know that we love you and are holding you close to our hearts.

Logan

tatsxxx11
08-04-2002, 04:41 PM
Just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you Liz. Love, Sandra

Sudilar
08-04-2002, 06:01 PM
Sending a hug today.

jackiesdaisy1935
08-04-2002, 06:41 PM
Liz, you know we are all thinking about you and sending many, many hugs.
Jackie

K9karen
08-05-2002, 09:12 AM
Liz: You were in my thoughts all weekend. My heart is still heavy for you. I admit I went home Friday after work and hugged and kissed Cody even more than I usually do. Even my mom, upon hearing about Buddy, told Cody how much she loves him. I know that Buddy is still with you. I wish I could hug you in person....{hug} I love you.

ramanth
08-05-2002, 10:09 AM
Thinking about you and sending you a hug and loving support.

*HUGS*

zippy-kat
08-05-2002, 12:55 PM
Liz, I'm still holding you in my thoughts & prayers.

Cinder & Smoke
08-05-2002, 02:41 PM
~ Buddy ~

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid27/p99fd74330f8283d04b373fb2ee31ad54/fd70eac6.jpg

Rest In Peace, Dear Buddy

Sudilar
08-05-2002, 08:38 PM
Buddy was magnificent.

AdoreMyDogs
08-05-2002, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Sudilar
Buddy was magnificent.

He certainlly was. Liz, my friend, you are in my thoughts now and have been my thoughts often. I hope you are beginning to feel a teeny bit better each day that passes.

We all love you,

-Leslie, Graham & Kersey

Cincy'sMom
08-05-2002, 08:54 PM
I am sorry I didn't see this sooner, but our thoughts and prayers are with you. What a difficult time for you. Please know all of PetTalk is thinking of you and crying with you.

Rest in Peace Buddy

gini
08-05-2002, 08:55 PM
What a beautiful picture of Buddy. Phred, thank you for helping Liz on this. I can just imagine how much it means to her.

Liz, I hope that in time - this picture of Buddy is what comes to your mind. Slowly, the painful memories will slip away and your heart will feel better.

I too, thought about you this weekend.

zippy-kat
08-05-2002, 09:15 PM
What a beautiful pup. Look at that smile; it just exudes love, doesn't it?

Cinder & Smoke
08-05-2002, 09:26 PM
~ Buddy ~

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid27/p99fd74330f8283d04b373fb2ee31ad54/fd70eac6.jpg

Logan
08-06-2002, 05:25 AM
Oh, Buddy, it helps us to see your beautiful smiling face. And Liz, I hope you are doing a little better each day. I know you are still sad, but knowing that your boy is pain free is reassuring. Please know that you continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

jackiesdaisy1935
08-06-2002, 09:49 AM
Phred, thanks for posting that picture of Buddy, I don't think I have ever seen a photo of him and he was such a magnificent dog, so handsome.
Liz, please know that you are always in our thoughts and prayers.

jennifert
08-06-2002, 09:54 AM
Liz, I am so sorry for your loss. You have been in my thoughts and prayers everyday.
I hope you are doing ok....

Love, Jennifer

Dixieland Dancer
08-06-2002, 09:59 AM
Thank you Phred for posting the picture of Buddy. He is precious!

Liz, please post and let us know how you are doing and what we can do to help you through this terrible time. I pray each day is a little better for you. We love you!

lizbud
08-06-2002, 10:01 AM
Thank you all for your kindness and words of
love & encouragement.I want to say a Special
THANKS to Phred for helping me get one of Bud's
pictures posted. With all he's had going on with
Boots being ill & everything, to take the time to
help me post my boy's picture, means so much to
me. Pet Talk People are the very BEST.Liz.

Stenograsaurus
08-06-2002, 10:06 AM
Liz, I am so sorry. I don't get on pettalk over the weekend because my computer at home is so slow. My heart goes out to you. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Sudilar
08-06-2002, 10:41 AM
Thank you for the picture of precious Buddy. Liz, know that you are in my thoughts every day.

mruffruff
08-06-2002, 11:48 AM
Liz, I'm so sorry to hear about Buddy. He was a magnificent dog and you'll miss him every day.

Let your tears wash the pain away so there will only be beautiful memories.

Mary

tatsxxx11
08-06-2002, 11:56 AM
Thank you Phred for that beautiful photo of Bud. What a noble, magnificent, courageous dog. Liz, you are in my thoughts every day. Hugs to my dear, dear friend. Love, Sandra

mugsy
08-06-2002, 05:59 PM
Thanks Phred for the picture. That's the Buddy I remember meeting. He was beautiful and loved Liz with every ounce of his being and she returned his love. Liz, I think of you often and wonder how you're doing. Please know that you and Buddy are still in my thoughts.

Former User
08-07-2002, 05:26 AM
Liz, I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner, but having done myself what you had to do, I got sucked in with all the memories (my dog went to RB also in August) and I coulnd't stop crying when I read how you spend your last moments with Buddy. Better luck today and here I am, please accept my deepest symphaties for the loss of Buddy. I hope he has found my dog already and they are happy now. Buddy was a great dog, we will all miss him, but for sure, you will miss him the most.

I know it's easy to say, but please stay strong, and take care ok?
You can also contact me anytime if you want to.

Hugs to you Liz!

Niina

Rachel
08-07-2002, 05:47 AM
Liz, please try not to grieve too much. Just as you loved Buddy and wanted only the best for him, he wants the best for you. He wouldn't want you to be down and depressed for very long. Your losing him has reminded many of us just how sad one can get during this time. I pray that each day the sadness lifts just a bit. {{{Liz}}} Can only give you cyber hugs but know that they are just as sincere as the real thing.

Sudilar
08-07-2002, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Rachel
{{{Liz}}} Can only give you cyber hugs but know that they are just as sincere as the real thing.

From me, too.

tatsxxx11
08-07-2002, 03:16 PM
Add me to the list. I wish I could wrap my arms around you and give you a comforting, gentle hug. But I can't, so a cyber hug will have to do. Although it's from a distance, it is not any less sincere or heartfelt, just as Rachel and Sue say. You and Buddy remain in my thoughts and prayers daily, dear Liz. We are all here for you whenever you feel like talking. Love, Sandra

lizbud
08-07-2002, 07:10 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the 'cyber hugs' and kind & encouraging
words. It does help me try to focus on the good memories
of the fun times with Buddy. The 'silly' games he so enjoyed
playing everyday. I know I did what was right and merciful
for him. I always swore ,if it was within my power, Buddy
would go to Rainbow Bridge with the same dignity that he
showed in life.

I really am reluctant to post much b/c I don't want to bring
everybody down. Just wanted to say that I'm trying my best
to look at this from Buddy's point of view. He is without pain,
he is in a better place & I asked him to wait for me and know
he will. I just feel so tired and somtimes wish I could just join
him. I'm just tired right now b/c of not sleeping well.

tatsxxx11
08-07-2002, 07:48 PM
It is so good to hear from you Liz. We all know how you are feeling right now and the conflicted feelings you're experiencing. As much as we tell ourselves, and know, that it was the right and best thing to do, that doesn't always help to ease our own pain and lonliness. Please don't feel you have to "talk." Just check in occasionally so you will know that we're all thinking of you. I hope that you get some much needed sleep friend; but I know that might not be so easy right now. You and Buddy are always in my thoughts and in my heart. Love, Sandra

Sudilar
08-07-2002, 07:58 PM
Liz, I know exactly what you are saying. I know when each of my furpups died, I wanted to go right with them. I didn't care anymore. My heart had a hole in it. When Wolf (my first) died, I was angry that he died. I wanted him with me forever. (He was my dog of a lifetime.) Later, my heart was stolen by a big white bundle of fur and life went on... When she died, I felt such sadness, not anger, but I wanted to go with her, too. Now I have my two rescues and life goes on.... til...

When you feel the need to talk, don't hesitate to pm me or post here. We know how you feel and sometimes it is good to talk. Maybe you'd like to tell us the fun things Buddy did; the things that made you laugh......

We are with you in this, Liz. Call on us to help you through this.

zippy-kat
08-07-2002, 08:25 PM
We miss you, Lizbud, but also know how deeply you are hurting. Please know, I think about you daily.

Wishing you peace and comfort,

Tonya

gini
08-07-2002, 09:31 PM
Liz, I am happy that you posted so that we know you are alright. Believe me, we all know what a difficult time it is for you and our hearts go out to you. Post whenever you feel like it, and just remember, each and every one of us are here for you.

kohala
08-07-2002, 09:44 PM
I lost the post I was working on when I went to Cathappy to find this - I won't attempt to recreate it, just share this concept with you - I borrowed it from Bari_D's webpage, Cathappy. I hope it wasn't the wrong thing to do netiquette-wise. I was thinking of how you can't replace someone you love, just keep your heart open to others who will ask for it.

Stray Cat

Oh what unhappy twist of fate has brought you,
homeless to my gate?
The gate where once another stood to beg
for shelter, warmth and food
For from that day,
I ceased to be the master of my destiny.
While he, with purr and velvet paw
became within my house, The Law.
He scratched the furniture and shed,
and claimed the middle of my bed.
He ruled in arrogance and pride,
and broke the heart the day he died.
So if you really think, oh cat, I'd willingly relive all that
because you come, forlorn and thin,
Well...don't just stand there, come on in!
(Francis Witham)

Love is the greatest healer, and the love on these pages is unbounded. God is Love, and Love is God. Blessings to you, Liz.

Cinder & Smoke
08-07-2002, 10:07 PM
~ Buddy ~

jackiesdaisy1935
08-08-2002, 09:31 PM
This is for you Liz, we are thinking about you every day.

A Living Love

If you ever love an animal, there are three days in your life you will always remember . . .

The first is a day, blessed with happiness, when you bring home your young new friend. You may have spent weeks deciding on a breed. You may have asked numerous opinions of many vets, or done long research in finding a breeder. Or, perhaps in a fleeting moment, you may have just chosen that silly looking mutt in a shelter -- simply because something in its eyes reached your heart. But when you bring that chosen pet home, and watch it explore, and claim its special place in your hall or front room -- and when you feel it brush against you for the first time -- it instills a feeling of pure love you will carry with you through the many years to come.

The second day will occur eight or nine or ten years later. It will be a day like any other. Routine and unexceptional. But, for a surprising instant, you will look at your longtime friend and see age where you once saw youth. You will see slow deliberate steps where you once saw energy. And you will see sleep when you once saw activity. So you will begin to adjust your friend's diet -- and you may add a pill or two to her food. And you may feel a growing fear deep within yourself, which bodes of a coming emptiness. And you will feel this uneasy feeling, on and off, until the third day finally arrives.

And on this day -- if your friend and whatever higher being you believe in have not decided for you, then you will be faced with making a decision of your own -- on behalf of your lifelong friend, and with the guidance of your own deepest Spirit. But whichever way your friend eventually leaves you -- you will feel as alone as a single star in the dark night.

If you are wise, you will let the tears flow as freely and as often as they must. And if you are typical, you will find that not many in your circle of family or friends will be able to understand your grief, or comfort you.

But if you are true to the love of the pet you cherished through the many joy-filled years, you may find that a soul -- a bit smaller in size than your own -- seems to walk with you, at times, during the lonely days to come.

And at moments when you least expect anything out of the ordinary to happen, you may feel something brush against your leg -- very, very lightly.

And looking down at the place where your dear, perhaps dearest, friend used to lie -- you will remember those three significant days. The memory will most likely to be painful, and leave an ache in your heart. As time passes the ache will come and go as if it has a life of its own. You will both reject it and it, and it may confuse you. If you reject it, it will depress you. If you embrace it, it will deepen you. Either way, it will still be an ache.

But there will be, I assure you, a fourth day when -- along with the memory of your pet -- and piercing through the heaviness in your heart -- there will come a realization that belongs only to you. It will be as unique and strong as our relationship with each animal we have loved, and lost. This realization takes the form of a Living Love -- like the heavenly scent of a rose that remains after the petals have wilted, this Love will remain and grow -- and be there for us to remember. It is a love we have earned. It is the legacy our pets leave us when they go. And it is a gift we may keep with us as long as we live. It is a Love which is ours alone. And until we ourselves leave, perhaps to join our Beloved Pets -- it is a Love we will always possess.

Presented with grateful acknowledgement to the author, Martin Scot Kosins

Pam
08-09-2002, 07:04 AM
That is beautiful Jackie. Thank you for posting it.

lizbud
08-09-2002, 06:54 PM
Jackie,

Thank you so very much dear friend for posting this beautiful
message. I feel like it speaks to me directly. I have entered
the Third Day spoken of in the poem. Today marked one week,
seven days, since Buddy started his journey to Rainbow Bridge.
Today on my lunch hour (exact time that Buddy left) I went
outside of my office building to walk around and say goodbye
again to my sweet boy. There are a lot of trees, walkways,
and green open spaces around the office building . I stopped
in a small shady spot under a row of trees and sat down on
a bench to say a few prayers & to remember how much Buddy
loved to sit under the tree in my backyard with me some spring
days. I remember so clearly how his face looked, how he would
lift his nose to catch every passing breese. He would look so
happy & content. I just loved being in his company & he in mine.
Just wanted to say that yes I cried, but that I was also able
to think of a better, happier time with Buddy. Liz.

jackiesdaisy1935
08-09-2002, 09:03 PM
I'm glad to hear that Liz, believe me I know how you feel, I still cry when I read a poem thinking of Kona, but now our tide has turned and we talk about her in a happy way, we talk about her funny quirks, how she used to pull up every plant that I put in the garden, how when Perry came to live with us and he would lick her eyes and ears, I think he thought she was his mom. I know in my heart that we will be united with Kona one day and it gives me peace as I hope it does for you thinking that you will be reunited with Buddy. They will be waiting for us.
Jackie

tatsxxx11
08-10-2002, 04:52 PM
Jackie, that was beautiful. Liz, I know exactly "that day" of which you write when I journeyed down that sad road after the loss of my Jingles. I hope that with each passing day just a little bit more of the pain will pass, replaced with a gentler memory that lifts your heart just a bit. As Jackie has said, hold tight to the belief and thought that one day you and Buddy will be together again and there will be no more tears or sadness. I think of you and Buddy each and every day with love. Sandra

jackiesdaisy1935
08-12-2002, 09:06 AM
Liz, just wanted you to know that we are still here and thinking about you and Buddy.
Jackie

sottice
08-12-2002, 09:35 AM
Liz, you're still in our thoughts and prayers. I wish you enough.

AmericanGurlMLB
08-12-2002, 09:50 AM
Buddy is in my prays dont worry and please pray for my neighbors dog to come home soon and safe!!

lizbud
08-12-2002, 10:05 PM
Thanks for all the prayers and for trying to help me
cope with the loss of my dearest Pal Buddy. It helps to
know that I am among friends who truly understand.
I have friends and even family members who try to be
kind, but really don't have an inkling how much a person
can miss & grieve for an animal companion. I feel like I can
tell you guys that I've still not gathered up Bud's toys or
put his food dishes away. His towel/sling still sits on the
dining room chair. I hope this is not denial b/c I know he's
not coming back and I must move on. There are so many
deserving dogs out there just waiting for someone to give
them a chance. I tell myself that Buddy was once one of
those "waiting" pups before I found him at the Humane
Society. I can't replace the wonderful, loyal, funny, lovable
character that Buddy was, but I sure hope I find another
one to grow to love as much as I did him. Liz.

sammi
08-12-2002, 10:19 PM
Liz, You sure have had much to deal with. When I lost my Sam 2 1/2 years ago I didn't put her things away for awhile. In fact I still I have her pink sweatshirt she slept with. The pain does get better in time. I read a couple of books on pet loss and it really helped me understand better. I hope things cont. to get better for you.

Stenograsaurus
08-13-2002, 10:26 AM
Liz, I just wanted to let you know that I think of you often. You know, it's been a year and a half since I lost my dog of a lifetime, Kilo. I have his collar hanging on my bedroom wall by my bed. Every night before I go to bed and every day when I wake up, I look at it and think of him. It's hard letting go.

anna_66
08-13-2002, 01:55 PM
Liz,
I feel I have to say something, but don't know exactly what. I grieve for our Keisha still and it's been over a year now. It just seems like she should be here, like it's not real that she's gone, even after all this time. I know I have 3 dogs that I love and love me, but it's not the same. I can say I feel your pain, but I'm sure I don't know exactly how you feel, each of us feel different. But if it's anything like I felt when Keisha died, you feel your world has caved in and nothing will ever be the same again.
There will be something to help fill that void you have in you, we don't know when it will come, or what form it will come in, but it will, I just know it.
Take care of yourself and try to remember the good times you had together, hold onto them.

Sincerley, Anna

Rachel
08-13-2002, 03:40 PM
Dear Liz, I think of you daily and keep you in my prayers at night. Please know that we have not forgotten you and hope that the dark cloud will soon be lifted. You have a whole crew of little furkats that still need you to be their companion and guardian. There will never be another Buddy, but one day there might be another dogger who will love you and need you in his own unique way, and that feeling that you can never love again will be gone, I guarantee. Until you are ready to open up your heart to a dog again, take comfort in the cats with whom you share your life. They need you too.

tatsxxx11
08-13-2002, 05:15 PM
Dear Liz. Rachel and Sammi and Steno and Anna have echoed my sentiments so beautifully. There isn't a day, or a night, that goes by that I don't think of you, Buddy and the deep, deep sense of loss you are feeling. I know you don't want to hear this, nor do I want to burden you with any more distress. But, just the thought of your sweet, beloved Buddy brings tears to my eyes. But, that is as it should be, for being a doggie Mom myself, I really, really, really do feel your pain and your loss is mine as well. It will be 4 years on Sept. 5th (my Star's birthday in fact) that my most beloved of all doggers, Jingles, left this earthly life. And while I love Star and Cody with all of my heart, there will always be one scared corner of my heart and soul in which Jing lives exclusively and eternally. I know exactly of what you speak when you say that friends and family "just don't understand" how a human could feel such love and devotion for a a dog, nor understand the pain we feel at his/her passing. They become impatient after those first few days of crying, at our continuing sadness and grieving. Incredibly, I learned that this feeling of impatience in friends and family following the death of a loved one is not held exclusively for animals. When my mother died, people were very sympathetic and consoling....for a while. But when I was feeling my lowest, when I needed their support the most, after the hulabaloo of the wake and funeral and a short period of "respectable" mourning had passed, when the reality of it all was JUST sinking in, their words to me were...."It's time to move on." My sadness and need to talk made them uncomfortable and left them feeling burdened. Still, I found great solace in a select few, namely those who had true empathy, those who had experienced the same loss that I had experienced. While others sincerely felt badly for me, I realized that it is not until you yourself have gone through such a devastating loss that one can truly say "I know how you feel." That is where we come in. The stalwarts of Pet Talk are animal lovers to the core; people who have an EXTRAordinary sense of connection to their fur children. And we do, we really do know the emptiness you are feeling, the deep emotional void you find yourself in right now. We are here for you to share your feelings, no matter how incomprehensible, how "crazy" they may seem to others. You lost your best friend. There isn't too much greater a sense of loss than that. I know you as a very loving and compassionate person. And in time, you will, I know, be able to open yourself up to another doggie, so needy of your special love. Until then, please remember we care so deeply for you Liz and we are here for you, always. Love, Sandra

jackiesdaisy1935
08-13-2002, 09:16 PM
They have all said what we all feel. I don't believe our own family knows the love and committment that we have for our own fur babies. I think sometimes we are known as eccentric, but who cares, we here at PetTalk understand the love, friendship, companionship, and dedication that we have to them and they to us. It is a special bond that many people cannot understand, you have to be a special person that loves animals in a special way. I think of you every day Liz and Buddy too.
Jackie

Sudilar
08-13-2002, 10:18 PM
Liz, it has all been said. I've been where you are now. For myself, I found that the only way I could heal was to save a life. My daughter and I frequented the area shelters til we found Killian. For me, only then did the healing start to take place. There were others out there who needed me and their time was running out. Buddy will live on in your heart forever. I hope that you can start to heal soon. As always, my prayers are with you.

zippy-kat
08-14-2002, 12:17 AM
August 25th will make 10yrs since my Tom-kitty passed. The hurt never completely goes away, but it does lessen. Though I've had other pets, none of them (with the exception of Sophie) have connected with me in the way that Tom did. I have a gentle ghost of a gentle soul purring and roaming the perimeters of my heart...and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Memories hurt
And help --
But heal
And warm.

And in the Lord's time,
You'll find a wiggling tail.
A wet nose.
A needy pup.

And Buddy will look down from the Bridge, smiling.
He knows first paw... that this lil' pup has "the bestest" home on earth.

Many prayers your way,
Tonya

Dixieland Dancer
08-14-2002, 08:39 AM
Tonya,
Your post made me smile and also brought tears to my eyes. It is the truth that Buddy will smile down knowing his mom's new friend will have the best home available.

Liz,
I pray your heart will always remember the joy and love Buddy gave you and that the pain will diminish soon so you can Love again. You are in my thoughts and prayers often. Please know how much we love you at Pet Talk!

Cinder & Smoke
08-14-2002, 09:58 AM
~ Buddy ~

Stenograsaurus
08-14-2002, 11:49 AM
Rainbow Bridge

http://www.iwishyouenough.com/daisy.htm

sammi
08-19-2002, 09:01 PM
Liz, Hope you are doing ok. Please keep in mind we are still here for you.;)

Sudilar
08-19-2002, 10:56 PM
You are still in my daily thoughts. Hope you are doing better.

jackiesdaisy1935
08-20-2002, 09:26 AM
The same here.

turner
08-20-2002, 09:32 AM
I'm very sorry to hear that Buddy isn't doing very well, and it sounds like you have been through enough already.

My thoughts and prayers are with you both.
Stay positive for both your sakes!!:(

lizbud
08-20-2002, 08:39 PM
Hi,

Thank you guys for the prayers & for your understanding.
I still miss Bud , but I'm starting to cope a little better I
think. I went to visit a shelter pup that I had seen at the
Southside Animal Shelter here in Indy. He was a cute little
guy, but not for me, not just yet I think.

Thanks for asking. You all give me strength. Love, Liz.

gini
08-20-2002, 09:22 PM
Your next baby is just waiting until the time is right for both of you. Probably Buddy hasn't had time to pick him/her out for you quite yet. He is pretty hard to replace!

Still thinking good thoughts and sending prayers your way!

Gini and Rascal

Sudilar
08-20-2002, 10:55 PM
Liz, it's great to hear that you are looking. :D When the right one comes along, you'll know it. Did you check www.Petfinder.org It took me two months of constant checking the shelters before I was chosen by Killian. Good luck in your search. I will be thinking of you.

tatsxxx11
08-21-2002, 02:24 PM
That was a courageous first step, Liz. Your heart will guide you and let you know when the time is right to bring home that special pup. For now, I send you my love and support during this difficult time. Sandra

jackiesdaisy1935
08-22-2002, 08:51 PM
Yes, Liz, I agree with Sandra, this is a first step, I think Buddie will let you know when you meet the right pup. We know it takes time to let go and we are all thinking about you and sending our love.

momoffuzzyfaces
08-22-2002, 10:42 PM
I agree Liz. The right pup will find you when Buddy picks him out. He's probably looking for the most special pup to send your way. Don't rush into it. You will know when the time is right. Prayers are with you.

shais_mom
08-23-2002, 07:47 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. I had no idea this happened!! I don't check the Dog Health much.
You are in my thoughts and prayers during this time.
I agree Buddy will let you know when the time is right for a new furbaby. Don't rush yourself.
Take your time and take care of yourself.

Logan
08-23-2002, 08:10 AM
Liz,
I have had you on my mind. I know this whole thing has been so painful for you. The loss of a loved one is the most devastating thing that can happen to us, and we feel your pain.
One day, you'll be ready for the next one. Just know that we are right here with you in spirit, if not in person, and remember you in our prayers constantly.
Love,
Logan

purrley
08-23-2002, 10:20 AM
Liz: I haven't been in PT for quite some time so I've missed everything in regard to your sweet Buddy. God Bless You Liz!!! I feel your pain, believe me. There is nothing like it. May your hurt lessen as the days go by and the memories of your sweet boy be forever in your heart.

krazyaboutkatz
08-23-2002, 06:12 PM
Liz, I just found out about Buddy. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Just try to think about the good times that you had with him and remember that you will see him again someday. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.