PDA

View Full Version : URGENT URGENT URGENT in KY

flip195
08-29-2007, 02:45 PM
I am beyond angry about this,
this dog has been left without treatment... can anyone in the area check on him and maybe help.
If any of us left an animal in our care in this condition we would be arrested.

Can someone help or does anyone have any contacts in the area? The dog is still there as of tonight. They do not have vet help.

http://west.petfinder.com/fotos/KY197/KY197.9096498-1-pn.jpg

Oliver*
Breed: Australian Shepherd, Australian Cattle Dog/Blue Heeler [Mix]
Sex: Male
Size: Medium
ID: K36

Email the adoption organization

8/23 Poor Oliver has been hit by a car and is need of some medical attention. He doesn't use his back legs and seems miserable. He is about 30-35 pounds. If you are interested in this pet, please contact [email protected] (http://cgi.ninjaproxy.com/index.php/1010110A/2c629df6ea2d80b0aa480e042957f0bcae799462a24bc43a32 fbe51f21960)
Harlan Rescue Coordinator

The latest info is he is still there, he has still not seen a vet and now after surviving all this they will euth him if he is not pulled.
I have had offers of donations for his treatment, but we don't even know what we are dealing with.
We have no where for him to go CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE
Here is the latest email...

[email protected] (http://cgi.ninjaproxy.com/index.php/1010110A/2c629df6ea2d80b0aa480e042957f0bcae799462a24bc43a32 fbe51f21960) wrote:
He's still at the shelter. I'm on the phone with the shelter staff now (all the computer stuff is done by volunteers like me because the shelter doesn't have a computer). They said they think he has a broken leg but is VERY sweet and gets along fine with other dogs. They really love him and are desperate to get him help but he's running out of time and it seems cruel to leave him there without treatment. We're also working on finding someone willing to drive him several hours to the nearest decent clinic if we can get donations for care. Several people have offered but the big problem has been getting him there and then, of course, the other big problem is having a rescue who will take him.
He's a sweet guy though, not big, fairly young, and he has one blue eye.
Hope some of that helps! Thank you so much for working on him!
Hannah
Surely someone can help some how,.

lizbud
08-29-2007, 04:27 PM
This is unconscionable that this animal is left to suffer in this condition.

What are they waiting for? The dog needs a vets care now. Are they are
going to let this dog lay there and suffer every day until someone adopts
it. :rolleyes: They shouldn't even be called an animal shelter. Put the poor
dog down or give him Vet care. :mad:

critter crazy
08-29-2007, 04:28 PM
This is unconscionable that this animal is left to suffer in this condition.

What are they waiting for? The dog needs a vets care now. If they are
going to let this dog lay there and suffer every day until someone adopts
it. :rolleyes: They shouldn't even be called an animal shelter. Put the poor
dog down or give him Vet care. :mad:
I agree...I dont get what they are waiting for!!!!!!:mad:

animal_rescue
08-29-2007, 07:57 PM
Are you helping him and know the people that want to donate? If so we can take him in and foster him, we'll just need help to pay for his treatment.

flip195
08-29-2007, 08:28 PM
Are you helping him and know the people that want to donate? If so we can take him in and foster him, we'll just need help to pay for his treatment.

We have had ppl offer to donate to help him, but with nowhere to go it has been hopeless, if we can get him into rescue and find out what needs to be done I will give everyone details of where to donate the money they have offered.
I really am just one of the many that got the email. but I am pushing forward and trying to get this boy safe.

clara4457
08-29-2007, 11:48 PM
It is so frustrating, but this happens in shelters all the time. They have to hold a dog for a minimum of 3 days and can't legally treat it. In the meantime, the dog is suffering. The problem is that until the dog is in a shelter for at least 3-5 days - it is an owned pet and it isn't until after that hold period that the dog is determined to be "abandoned" and they can legally treat it (if they can afford it). If it was a child, they could get two doctors to sign off - but an animal they feel is not worth the effort. SAD :(

It is not the shelters fault - they are regulated by local laws and many times have no choice. To have a rescue take the dog - you are probably going to have to raise enough money to cover all the vet costs. It is a sad reality, but if a rescue takes a dog that costs a thousand dollars - then they can't take 4 other dogs that just need standard vet costs and it could mean that these dogs are PTS. It is a sad reality - but a true one.

loveallfurryfriends
08-29-2007, 11:53 PM
I am willing to donate money. Please post something letting me know what to do. I do not have much, but I can not stop thinking about this poor dog.

flip195
08-30-2007, 06:58 AM
It is so frustrating, but this happens in shelters all the time. They have to hold a dog for a minimum of 3 days and can't legally treat it. In the meantime, the dog is suffering. The problem is that until the dog is in a shelter for at least 3-5 days - it is an owned pet and it isn't until after that hold period that the dog is determined to be "abandoned" and they can legally treat it (if they can afford it). If it was a child, they could get two doctors to sign off - but an animal they feel is not worth the effort. SAD :(

It is not the shelters fault - they are regulated by local laws and many times have no choice. To have a rescue take the dog - you are probably going to have to raise enough money to cover all the vet costs. It is a sad reality, but if a rescue takes a dog that costs a thousand dollars - then they can't take 4 other dogs that just need standard vet costs and it could mean that these dogs are PTS. It is a sad reality - but a true one.

I think you may find that there is an option that states ... All animals that appear to be injured or seriously ill on reception should be seen by a vet. If the animal is deemed to be suffering they may have said animal treated by a vet or may euth on the advice of a vet.

flip195
08-30-2007, 07:05 AM
As of right now there are 2 offers of foster, I believe they are just trying to decide if he is fit enough to travel and if so where to.
We will be asking for donations if he needs vet treatment, obviously if he has to be PTS then I will let everyone know.
This is where we stand as of 8am this morning.

Logan
08-30-2007, 12:45 PM
I hope the dear little soul can be healed and find love. I will keep him in my prayers.

loveallfurryfriends
08-30-2007, 05:08 PM
Please keep posting updates on this poor pup, he has been on my mind since reading his story. Let us know about donations on his vet bill.

flip195
08-30-2007, 05:55 PM
Please keep posting updates on this poor pup, he has been on my mind since reading his story. Let us know about donations on his vet bill.
He is being pulled tomorrow... as soon as I know more I will post.

animal_rescue
09-01-2007, 12:16 AM
Thought I'd update. He was pulled today and will be seeing a vet at 10 am tomorrow. I will be getting a call after the vet visit and he will be coming to our house on Sunday. I will be getting the information about donations tomorrow as well. The woman sent me an e-mail and told me he was a very good boy and she's pretty sure his front leg is broken. Basically he went home with her, ate, drank, and is now sleeping on two pillows and some blankets. The poor boy, wish him well so he can get better soon!

animal_rescue
09-01-2007, 09:49 AM
Thought you should know that Oliver was sadly put down this morning. The lady that pulled him took him to the vet and the vet said he'd need 2 major surgeries. One for his front leg where it was broken in 2 places, it would have to be rebroken and set since it was like that all week and was starting to heal. The second on his back hip which was starting to deteriorate due to I believe it was a birth defect? Anyways The vet said not only would it take about $5000 to do it but he most likely wouldn't have any quality of life after the surgeries. I agreed with her that the best option was to have him put down. The woman did give him a wonderful night and morning. So he at least didn't have to go in the shelter. RIP Dear Oliver :(

Catty1
09-01-2007, 03:05 PM
Precious Oliver! Rest in peace, dear puppy...and bless the woman who took you in, and fed you, and gave you pillows to sleep on - and love.

And bless Flip and Animal Rescue for all their help.

The only good thing about sad stories like this...you always find out who the angels are.

lizbud
09-01-2007, 04:28 PM
Thought you should know that Oliver was sadly put down this morning. The lady that pulled him took him to the vet and the vet said he'd need 2 major surgeries. One for his front leg where it was broken in 2 places, it would have to be rebroken and set since it was like that all week and was starting to heal. The second on his back hip which was starting to deteriorate due to I believe it was a birth defect? Anyways The vet said not only would it take about $5000 to do it but he most likely wouldn't have any quality of life after the surgeries. I agreed with her that the best option was to have him put down. The woman did give him a wonderful night and morning. So he at least didn't have to go in the shelter. RIP Dear Oliver :(

Why can't Shelters give basic pain management to injured animals?
Doesn'r cost much to do that at least. That poor dog. :( I hope he didn't
suffer for long. Rest In Peace baby.

flip195
09-01-2007, 09:51 PM
I just came to update this, I am so very sad.

Run free and play hard OLLIE,
You were loved by many
http://cgi.ninjaproxy.com/index.php/1010110A/b6d6-9563d3c04d2452a0dde4007baf10060ecc6b009548809e28c6 d0027c622a7c487ad47fc99ccbcafb1630a4b426b6cf3f07bd 4313a9bfd36af0d49e15edd715243

loveallfurryfriends
09-02-2007, 09:51 AM
RIP Oliver!! I know you are healthy and happy @ the RB and no longer in pain.