PDA

View Full Version : Update on my new rescue, CHESTER!!

rg_girlca
08-28-2007, 09:03 AM
For those who didn't see my thread on my new rescue;
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=132653

This is Chester. Notice he is on my bed now. :)
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pc88f3fe504fbc0f264b312d140fba52a/e7f037db.jpg

Took him to the vets last night and he was such a goood boy. He had a complete check-up, his first set of shots and a blood test for Feline Aids/Leukemia. His mouth is just fine. He just has some very tiny teeth in the front. The vet said he is about 1 year old, weighs 8 lbs and all in all looks very healthy. He is a small boy that's for sure, compared to my guys.
Stool sample was negative and most importantly the blood tests were negative. :D He will be neutered on September 7th.

He isn't crazy about seeing my guys at the door window. There is much growling and hissing on his part. I have a feeling this one will not be easy to introduce. :eek:

There is just one small problem with him though. He likes to lay across your neck with the side of his face right up against the side of your chin. I can only take about 5 minutes of this as I feel like I am suffocating. He is quite the lovebug, that's for sure.

Barbara
08-28-2007, 09:21 AM
Aaaawww- he must have an Abyssinian granddad if he does the furcollar thing ;)
Isn't that too sweet? :)

So glad he is ok healthwise :D

doolittleky
08-28-2007, 02:02 PM
AWWW, he looks so mcuh like my Linus! Thanks for rescuing him!
Melissa

Felicia's Mom
08-28-2007, 03:53 PM
I'm glad his check-up was good!

orangemm
08-28-2007, 04:14 PM
What a sweetheart! Yay for Chester, his exam went well!!

I'm sure he is trying to thank you by cuddling up so close. I wish my guys would do that.

Give him some head bumpies for me. ;)

Kalei
08-28-2007, 04:17 PM
Aw, he has the sweetest face,I just can't get over those beautiful eyes!

Hello Chester, you can cuddle up to my face all you want:) I love cats that cuddle right close.

I'm so glad to see that Chester is doing great and loving life:D

Freedom
08-28-2007, 04:33 PM
He he, Oh Chester, and here I thought only Sparkle did the fur collar routine! Yup it IS warm, especially this time of year. I do enjoy cuddling with her and I will slowly shift her down a bit as we snuggle and I pet and chatter to her. Most times she doesn't mind. When she does, she just wiggles back up and we start again! There's NO winning this battle with a cat, you know!

jenluckenbach
08-28-2007, 05:06 PM
OH MY!!! He can come sleep on my face for as long as he wants. :D :D :D

krazyaboutkatz
08-28-2007, 11:35 PM
I'm so glad that he received a clean bill of health.:) It sounds like he's starving for affection. I hope he'll be able to find his new loving forever home soon.:)

KittyGurl
08-29-2007, 08:44 AM
So glad Chester is feeeling good and his check up went great. He sounds like one lovable kitty, thats for sure. Big hugs and kisses to Chester and headbumpies from Snow and Angel.

Killearn Kitties
08-30-2007, 07:38 AM
He looks as though he finds your bed quite acceptable accommodation! :D He really is a lovely cat.

moosmom
08-30-2007, 09:16 AM
Chester is beautiful!!! I love his golden eyes.

critter crazy
08-30-2007, 09:19 AM
Yay for chester!! Chester you are such a hndsome boy, and it is so great to hear you are healthy as well!!:D

jazzcat
08-30-2007, 10:16 AM
Glad he is healthy!

Sounds like a real sweetheart too. Maybe Lindy Lou can be the one to help break him in.

rg_girlca
08-30-2007, 03:10 PM
He is a sweetheart Lori, that's for sure.

He doesn't hiss or growl so much at the boys when they are looking through the window of the door. The other day, I held the door open just a crack, enough for Nugget to stick his paw through and Chester swatted at his paw and spat.
Today, I did the same thing, but with Lindy Lou and Nugget and he was much better. I just kept petting Chester and telling him it was okay and what a good boy he is. Maybe once he doesn't feel threatened and is neutered he will calm down more.

I think because he was attacked a few times by two of the males on my street that he is very defensive right now. I know this intro will take much longer than the others did.

jazzcat
08-30-2007, 03:17 PM
He sounds so much like my Scout. She had been abused by some boys (they put her in a backpack and were using it and her as a football). Luckily somebody saw this and got her away from them and into a rescue. Then the rescue discovered she was pregnant - it was terminated with her spay. Anyway, from her behavior with other cats she acts as if she has been attacked by them while out on her own. She has always been on the defensive around my other cats and they sense it and go after her. Rocky is especially bad about it right now.

She would have probably been better suited as an only cat but not much I can do about that now. I hope Chester will adjust to the other cats but if not maybe that perfect one cat home is out there for him.

rg_girlca
08-30-2007, 03:26 PM
OMG Lori. I didn't realize that poor Scout had endured such abuse. AAARRRGGG why do people get such pleasure out of such cruelty to animals is beyond me.

Please give her a hug and a kiss for me and tell Rocky to leave her alone before I come down there and give him a one of my "MEOWMIE" lectures. ;)

jazzcat
08-30-2007, 03:32 PM
Oh please come give the lecture! I don't know what I'm going to do with him. As of this past week he is getting some time out in the garage with Ripley just to give Scout a break from being stalked. Medication doesn't work and neither do Feliway and Rescue Remedy. I'm running out of ideas and Richard is ready to just open the back door and let him go stalk something out there. He'd never make it because we have coyotes in the woods just 50 feet away. Of course I wouldn't let him go out but I'm sure running out of ideas.

Anyone here want a 3 year old long hair male tabby (Rocky) and a 1 year old female tuxie (Moxie). I'm ready to restore some peace to my house!

rg_girlca
08-30-2007, 03:50 PM
Oh Lori, I wish I had the answer for you.
When I was having problems with Sades viciously attacking Mooky, I had to resort to being a little tougher with him. I would yell NO, then grab Sades by the scruff of the neck and gently, mind you, throw him on the bed and close him in the room, by himself for a few days. The last time I had to do this, he stayed in the room for almost a week and it's been almost a year now, I think, since I've had to do this. They still hiss now and then at each other, but there have been no more attacks.
Also, whenever Sades would scratch at the door, I would open it just enough so he couldn't run out and squirt him with water yelling NO at the same time. He knew I was not a happy camper. Once he did come out and was civil to Mooky, I would tell him what a good boy he was and gave him some lovings.

And in regards to your balancing act little dare devil, the only thing I can think of, is that the minute you see her motion to jump where she isn't suppose to, grab her firmly and tell her NO, or try the squirt bottle. Then after doing this a few times and you catch her again, just yell NO and if she stops, make sure you praise her for being a good girl.

Good Luck sweetie. I can sense in your writing how frustrating this is for you. E-mail me if you want to vent some more, okay.

catfamily
08-30-2007, 04:32 PM
Is Chester Staying???I hope?
I think you'll miss the neck hugs after he's gone,if you place him ;)
Chester sounds like my Ethel and Bowie(2 of my all black cats)laying on the head or neck at night.Can be a pain but sometimes I wonder where they are if noone is smothering me:D

Lori....If you can't place your 2...send them here.What's 2 more :D :rolleyes:
Really....I am accually thinking of it.
Try to do what Lorraine suggested a few times.
That accually stopped my Lucy a couple years ago from attacking Marshall.I got upset with her and said NO very loud...chased her just a little then a couple minutes later hugged her so she wouldn't be upset.But it worked after a few times.I did't yell,i just said NO VERY loud...and I just chased a couple feet,not all over the house :eek: ,but it worked.
And now she sleeps on the end table next to my bed and watches me sleep every night.