PDA

View Full Version : Shingles? Anyone ever had that?

CountryWolf07
08-27-2007, 07:51 PM
I FOUND out today what it was. I had to go to the doctor's, because I couldn't take it anymore after a week of not knowing what the strange red bumps were on my arm & chest... I have shingles. Blah. It should go away within a week or two, because I have medication for that now. How much does that suck?!

Do I REALLY need vidocin for this? Because I was given a slip permission for it.. and is it really that painful???

Craftlady
08-27-2007, 08:05 PM
Yes is can be very painful if it's a fully developed case of shingles.
I've had several family member unfortunately to get shingles and it wasnt a walk in the park. Theirs involved legs and ankles.

mike001
08-27-2007, 08:15 PM
Been there, lasted a full winter, oozing blisters. Painful as all get up. And if they tell you you can't get it twice, forget it, it's the 3rd time for me.

Logan
08-27-2007, 08:26 PM
If you aren't hurting, I'd be surprised if it was really shingles. My husband had shingles last year and it was horrible, horrible pain and he ran a fever. It was awful and nothing made him more comfortable, even the pain meds.

I hope you won't hurt.

DJFyrewolf36
08-27-2007, 08:39 PM
My mom has had shingles twice and boy was she miserable. She was on pain meds for it as each case lasted about two weeks. A friend of mine had it once though and it went away pretty quick and was less annoying than chcken pox according to her. So I guess it can go either way. I heard somewhere if you get it young, it isn't as bad but Im sure there are exceptions.

Lets hope you have the non-painful variety!

carole
08-27-2007, 11:27 PM
My son had shingles when he was about 22,usually in young people it is not so bad, the pain i mean, he was one of the lucky ones,but it is the pain afterwards that can be left in the nerve endings i think that is the worst, but if you are lucky enough to get medication quickly, you should not have that problem, he is 25 now and has not had any problems, i do feel for you though, it is not nice at all, i wish you a speedy recovery, have you been under stress lately, apparently the doctor told my son that could be the cause of it, of course it is because of the chicken pox virus i believe that lies dormant,something along those lines, don't be quoting me, just going by memory, take care and i hope you are well again soon, do look after yourself really well ok.

K9karen
08-27-2007, 11:41 PM
My mom had an extreme case on her hips and stomach and was in agony. She lived in her nightgown and could barely tolerate that. She was never a pill taker, but had to take painkillers. I developed shingles on my shoulder blade at the same time, was in pain, but not unbearable. Unfortunaty, throughout the years, as my mom's system broke down, she got them frequently. I was able to identify it and immediately call the doc for medicine. I worked with a girl who had them all over her body. It was awful. I hope you don't have too much discomfort. If you do, don't be a martyr..take a painkiller..even if you have to break it in half.Sadly, I lived on Vicodin before my spine surgery. Eat something with it, as it can be nasty on your stomach, and don't drive (or operate machinery..they always say that on the info part)Feel better soon!

CountryWolf07
08-28-2007, 12:00 AM
Yes, I've been under stress; especially about college. I am just shocked that I have it. I will take good care of myself, I'm 22, almost 23.. I'm at the point where the shingles are becoming "scabs".. and it's starting to pinch.. and bubbles are being popped on its own.. I'm not looking forward to this. I have medication now. I have to take 5 pills a day for a week, including putting ointment 3-5 times a day too as well. So hopefully, it won't be that painful. I have a very high tolerance of pain.

Thanks. :)

Catty1
08-28-2007, 12:06 AM
Maybe a baking soda bath would help too?

Hope you are feeling better soon! :)

anna_66
08-28-2007, 06:33 AM
Yep, I had them in 2002. The worst pain I had ever felt in my life. I think it was even worse than the recent dog bite. I took pain meds but it didn't help tremendously. If your in pain don't hesitate to take them though. I think if you were going to have a lot of pain you would have already had it, so your lucky.
Hope you heal fast!

trayi52
08-28-2007, 07:11 AM
My mother-in-law had them, and she was in awful pain. You take what you can get for the pain. Ruth was in the hospital for a while with them, bless her heart, it hurt me just to watch her with them, she had them around her head.

I hope your time is short with them, and you get rid of them very fast, hon.

Willie

cyber-sibes
08-28-2007, 07:17 AM
I got them in the middle of my back when I was pregnant at age 29. Ugh, horrible pain. Although it cleared up, I still have nerve damage there 25 yrs later. :( Can't stand anything going across the middle of my back. ("convenient" for us gals, huh? :rolleyes: )
My mom had them when she was going through chemo, couldn't stand anything on her skin. I felt soooo bad for her. She said it hurt more than anything she'd ever gone through.
Unfortunately, it is cause by a virus and once it's in your system, it's there. They can be dormant for a long time, but you can develope outbreaks again. I believe it's related to chicken pox (but don't quote me on that one)

CountryWolf07
08-28-2007, 12:08 PM
That is scary to think that I'd might get nerve damage in my arm. I just brought it upon myself to get this. It is not fun; it's starting to tingle, and scabs are forming, but it's very small, not big, just the size of a nickel on my arm and the size of a quarter in the middle of my chest (you know, in between my... yeah.)

Daisy and Delilah
08-28-2007, 12:53 PM
Rachel,

I'm so sorry to hear you have this. I have an older friend that has it every few years. She was in excruciating pain for quite a long time. No matter what she did, she couldn't even get any sleep. She was really in bad shape. It was on her back. I think she took Tylenol 3 and it's the only relief she got.

I hope you feel better soon! :) {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

emily_the_spoiled
08-28-2007, 02:49 PM
Rachell,

First you did NOT bring this upon yourself. Anyone who has had chickenpox or been exposed to chickpox has a risk of developing shingles (it is the same virus). The only difference is that in shingles it is stored in the nerve endings (so that is why it is so painful) but with regular chickenpox usually the virus is contained within the skin.

By taking the pills and the ointment until they are FINISHED it will help shorten the attack.

For some people excessive stress or a compromised immune system can induce an attack of shingles. Unfortunately you are not at risk for the rest of your life. But the attacks will generally follow the same pattern, so if you get medication early enough (i.e. recognize the symptoms) then you can really shorten the length and painfulness of the attack.

Good luck (and Vicodan can help)

critter crazy
08-28-2007, 02:51 PM
Oooo....I am so sorry. My Gramma got them in the middle of her back, one year. she was absolutely miserable!! I sure hope you heal quickly!!:)

Catsnclay
08-28-2007, 04:03 PM
Rachell,

First you did NOT bring this upon yourself. Anyone who has had chickenpox or been exposed to chickpox has a risk of developing shingles (it is the same virus). The only difference is that in shingles it is stored in the nerve endings (so that is why it is so painful) but with regular chickenpox usually the virus is contained within the skin.

By taking the pills and the ointment until they are FINISHED it will help shorten the attack.

For some people excessive stress or a compromised immune system can induce an attack of shingles. Unfortunately you are not at risk for the rest of your life. But the attacks will generally follow the same pattern, so if you get medication early enough (i.e. recognize the symptoms) then you can really shorten the length and painfulness of the attack.

Good luck (and Vicodan can help)

EXACTLY!

My husband also was given a patch, Lidoderm 5% - your doctor has to Rx it, but it covers the bumps and provides relief. The only problem with this is you need to know and ask about this, they do not give it out.

Do NOT touch the opened sores, that will spread it more, wash your hands and use seperate towels, etc.

Ask your doctor about the patch, it saved our marriage!!! :eek: .......plus it also works! ;)

lizbud
08-28-2007, 05:16 PM
My daughter called me the other day to ask if she had chicken pox when
she was a child. She didn't. She was going to the Dr. as she thought she had
shingles. I've always heard the you can't get shingles if you had never had
chicken pox. (same virus) :confused:

carole
08-28-2007, 08:48 PM
Sweetie DON'T be so darn hard on yourself, of course you DID NOT bring this upon yourself, neither did my son or anyone,everyone is right once you have had the chicken pox virus you can get shingles,and one cannot help get stressed in life, it is just a fact of life,plain and simple, just take real good care of yourself,do all the right stuff and i sure hope your pain and discomfort goes away and real soon, HUGS, i always thought it only affected old people, so i was suprised when my son got them too at the same age as you, but when i learned more about it, it all made sense.

jennielynn1970
08-28-2007, 08:53 PM
Shingles and chicken pox also in the herpes virus family. Not that it's herpes... it's just like with the fever blisters/cold sores. They're a herpes virus, and the virus travels in the nervous system when it breaks out.

I get the cold sores, and have for about the past 18 years. I take L-Lysine, which is an amino acid, and you can buy them at any pharmacy or grocery store if they have vitamins and such.

Try to stress less. Emotional, physical, psychological.

Try to not get too much sun. Sunburn or too much sun can cause a break out.

Eat less acidic food or spicy hot foods. Again, they can stress the body.

You can also eat more foods that have L-Lysine in them. I remember chicken was a good source. I haven't done a search lately about that, because I haven't had an outbreak recently (knocking on wood now, lol).

wolf_Q
08-28-2007, 09:24 PM
I have no experience with shingles but I just wanted to say I hope you get feeling better and will not be in too much pain!