PDA

View Full Version : Commands In Other Languages?

3GSDMom
08-27-2007, 03:05 PM
I thought this would be a neat discussion. Lets see if I'm right...

What languages do your dogs know commands in?

My dogs are mostly taught in English. However..

Travis knows

Sitz - German for Sit

Platz- German for 'down' [really it translates to 'place' ] <-- this has taken the place of english. I no longer tell him 'down' in English. It is always Platz.

Bleib- not 100%, we're still working on it. German for 'stay'

aquí - spanish for 'here'

I'd like to teach him more German words [his native tongue! :p ] but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Katy and Miles know
aquí

The spanish is due to the fact that some Spanish is spoken around my home. [The dogs were never really taught what 'aqui' meant, they just kind of picked up on it] English is the first language, but my mother and I will mix English and Spanish in our sentences. LoL.

So, what other languages have you taught your dogs?

Ginger's Mom
08-27-2007, 03:54 PM
Well, I know only English, so Ginger knows only English. However, there is a little Yorkie that frequents one of the dog parks who understands both Spanish and English perfectly. He really makes me feel foolish. :p

Giselle
08-27-2007, 09:07 PM
My pups are more or less taught using body language, but there are a few total verbal commands that Ivy knows. Phonetically, it sounds like "san mun". It means close the door in Cantonese and it sounds exactly like it is. She also knows "ging" which is also Cantonese, and it's her cue to bow. I didn't like how bow and down sounded so similar and meant almost the same thing =P

crow_noir
08-27-2007, 09:40 PM
I only taught King in English and my own body and sign language. Somehow though he knew French. (and I'm not just talking commands.)

Koli was taught using English, sign and body language, and a few made up words.

mr.chiwawa
08-27-2007, 09:52 PM
Mister knows both English AND American Sign Language....little smarty pants :p

dukedogsmom
08-27-2007, 10:00 PM
My sweet RB Duke was trained in German, as well. Dasher isn't bilingual, though. Wonder if I could teach him?

jesse_3
08-27-2007, 10:16 PM
Jesse knows a few commands in German, and several in English. She also knew 'my' sign language, but I have gotten very lax with that...
Jemi' knows English, but is too stubborn to listen to them, and Sammy is too much of a princess to 'learn commands':rolleyes:

Tollers-n-Dobes
08-27-2007, 10:34 PM
My dogs only know English, as that is all I know also. Even if I did know another language I probably would continue to use english only to teach them things though, just because english is what comes naturally to me.

K9karen
08-27-2007, 11:07 PM
Mister knows both English AND American Sign Language....little smarty pants :p

That is SO cool! Since my John has a hearing disability (due to ear infections as a kid), we're considering learning American Sign Language at night school. My RB Cody knew hand commands quite well. At a dog show, I was speaking to a Belgian Malnois, but his owners said he only knew French!! I was so jealous..my friend, who learned French in school and spoke it quite well, stole my thunder and won over the dog! Luckily, kisses and hugs are universal!!!! Mz Klo knows a few hand signals, I just don't take the time I should.

mr.chiwawa
08-27-2007, 11:23 PM
I have worked long and hard with Mister teaching him ASL. Some people think its the same as hand commands but its completely different. The signs for stay and such arent the same as "normal hand commands" I took ASL all 4 yrs in high shcool then I went to a trade school I now have my degree in it anyways enough about me. Mister I must say prefers it over Engish any day :p :D

3GSDMom
08-28-2007, 02:52 PM
That is really cool that you taught him Sign Language.

I was thinking about taking a class for that but never thought to teach my dogs.

I forgot to add that Travis also responds to Hand Signals.

I've been contemplating on teaching my next GSD solely in German.

I've also been thinking about teaching Trav Dutch next. It's just too fun seeing him respond to different languages.