PDA

View Full Version : I had an Endometrial Thermal Ablation ... any input?

kimlovescats
08-27-2007, 02:32 PM
I had a thermal ablation this past Friday for Mennoragia. After a 14 day "cycle" and months of irregularity and pain, I was happy to get something done about it! I was in considerable pain afterwards and pretty much stayed knocked out on Lortab both Friday, and Saturday. I had to take another at bedtime last night. Today is day 4 and I am still having some cramping. Has anyone had one of these, and do you remember how many days you were in pain? I just want to be sure that I haven't gotten up too soon and caused any problems.

Thanks,
Kim

Catty1
08-27-2007, 02:37 PM
I ain't had one of those...but if you go over to www.hystersisters.com and lurk in the Hysterectomy Options section, you'll see a lot of comments and information based on the writer's own experience.

Better still, join for free. A Hostess will be along and can direct you what forum to get to.

Hope you feel better!

kimlovescats
08-27-2007, 02:40 PM
Thank you, Candace! ;)

Kim

Logan
08-27-2007, 08:31 PM
Kim, I've never heard of that before. I'm going to have to look it up. I've had two endometrial biopsies done this year and the second one really threw me for a loop. The first one hurt while it was being done, but I didn't have lingering pain. The one two weeks ago had me down for a couple of days (and I, too, had Loritab to help with the pain of that one).

I do hope that you are going to get straightened out soon.

Logan

kimlovescats
08-27-2007, 09:02 PM
Logan, they go in and inflate a balloon into your uterus and burn off the lining! It gives you a 3rd degree burn! That's why you have to be put to sleep! About half of those who have it done, quit having periods all together, the rest have them much lighter than before. I'm hoping to be in the luckiest half! ;) I'm still cramping quite a bit tonight though, and really ready for that part to end.

I hope everything turns out ok with your biopsies, Logan!!!

Kim

Craftlady
08-27-2007, 09:34 PM
Ouch that hurts just thinking about the procedure.
I'm glad medication has stopped mine. I hope your in the other 1/2 that it stops monthly cycles.

Grace
08-27-2007, 10:26 PM
Anytime they muck around in your uterus, you're liable to have cramping. Have you tried a heating pad?

I had a hyst when I was 30, for endometriosis and fibroids. For about 3 months I marveled at the loss of pain; then I realized I was no longer having periods. Oh Happy Day!!

No support goups back then - 30+ years ago. But I never, for even one moment, had the slightest regret.

Keeping fingers crossed that you are in the lucky half!!

carole
08-27-2007, 11:01 PM
Kim i have heard of the procedure and it has been around for some time now, no experience here, but understand where you are on this issue, i do sincerely hope that this puts an end to all your misery, and that you are indeed the lucky other half,i hope the pain subsides soon and you will be all well, take care.

jazzcat
08-27-2007, 11:14 PM
I was wondering how you were feeling now. Sorry to hear you are still having pain. If you are still having a lot of cramping tomorrow I think you should call your dr and ask the nurse if that is normal.

(((HUGS)))

dukedogsmom
08-27-2007, 11:23 PM
I had that done (called it fried uterus). But, for me, it didn't benefit me for long. I had some bad problems. I had a hysterectomy two years ago. I didn't have any problems like you're having. You might want to call your doctor and talk to them about it.

K9karen
08-27-2007, 11:32 PM
I had a laperoscopy for severe endometriosis years ago and I remember feeling very crampy for a few days. I went back to work, about 3 days later, and passed out. I don't know if I did too much too soon, or it was the pain killers or shock of the whole procedure, but it took me about 2 weeks to feel totally better. I didn't have anything done because my tubes were still open, 'tho the endometriosis was everywhere. I decided on the dreaded Pill which helped my life tremendously. Luckily..*jumps in the air and clicks heels together*, the faucets are permanently OFF!!! Woo! Woo! Hope you feel better soon, Kim. Just take it easy..no lifting or bending. Be the queen that you are for as long as you can! (worked for me!)

krazyaboutkatz
08-28-2007, 01:08 AM
Kim, I had a hydrothermal ablation done in Jan. and I had a lot of cramping just the first day. I just kept taking tylenol or advil and they also gave me vicodin to take as needed. I was planning on only taking 2 days off of work but then I came down with a horrible bug so I was sick for quite a while.

I would think that the cramping shouldn't last very long and I'd call my doctor if I was you. I did have spotting for quite a while afterwards. My procedure doesn't work for 25% of women, 25% have very light periods, and 50% have no more periods. I fell into the 25% that have very light periods. I'm still happy with the outcome and I hope that my periods won't get any heavier over time.

I hope you feel better soon. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

kimlovescats
08-28-2007, 10:02 AM
Thank you for the well wishes and information from everyone. I did just call my doctor's office and it is normal to still be having some cramping. The nurse also told me that this "funky discharge" would happen for about 90 days! :eek: WOW!

Tracey, I'm sorry you were so sick afterwards ... I think they would have to have put me in the hospital if that happened to me! Bless your heart!!!

Ok, I guess "no pain, no gain" and I will survive! :p

Thanks again!
Kim

lizbud
08-28-2007, 12:16 PM
Wow, I had to look that procedure up. I had never heard of it before.
Reading about the different methods used almost did me in. :eek:

http://www.usdoctor.com/hystbar2.htm

I hope you heal up quickly & this solves the problems. Take care. :)

sirrahbed
08-28-2007, 12:48 PM
I had to go read about it too, Kim. I am glad you called the doctor's office and can be reassured that what is happening is within normal. Based on reading what the procedure actually does, it is not surprising that you have pain and that it will take quite awhile for things to heal. Yikes! :eek: I have had a few simple endometrial biopsies and they made me cramp pretty badly and that is just a small sampling compared to the ablation. Hope that your surgery was successful and that once your body is healed, you will feel so much better and healthier. (((HUGS)))

Logan
08-29-2007, 10:56 AM
I'm glad you called the doctor, Kim. I did find that using the heating pad helped me. I was having severe back pain, too. I hope that you'll be one of the lucky ones once this pain ends.

I hope everything turns out ok with your biopsies, Logan!!!

Everything was fine. Thank you. My doctor was being extra cautious because of my sister's endometrial cancer scare earlier this year. She had to have a radical hysterectomy in January. She is 48 years old. I had just stopped having a period and he did not think it could be menopause (too young, no other symptoms), but that's exactly what it is. The 2nd biopsy was because I started bleeding and had severe cramping at the beginning of this month and did so for almost 2 weeks, but again the biopsy came back clear. I have to face it, I'm just getting old! LOL! Neither my mother or my sister were able to go through a natural menopause, so I had nothing to compare to. It hit me at 44. I can live with that! :)

You take good care of yourself. And give Kenny a big hug from his Auntie Logan, please. :)

Rie Rie
08-30-2007, 12:54 PM
I was supposed to have that done, but ended up having what they call the roller ball. I had a polyp on my urterus that he had to remove , so I had to go in the afternoon before my procedure and have what the nurse told me was some sort of seaweed put into my uterus. I know sounds wierd, I thought she was joking at first. That was to dilate my uterus, and was very uncomfortable and I cramped all night from that.Turns out, it worked too well and I was over dilated, so the normal ablation thing wasn't going to work. He told me it would take up to 6 months before I woud l know if it it really worked and about 4 months after I got excited, my cycle was very short and very little cramping. Well, it's been about 9 months and I'm almost back where I started to begin with. It's time for my yearly exam, so I will be telling him that I'm still having problems. I cramped after the procedure for about a week, then I was ok, but the bleeding lasted while, but don't I think it was 90 days.
I do hope you fall into that lucky catergory, not all of can be so lucky!!!

rg_girlca
08-30-2007, 02:35 PM
Kim, I'm sorry that I just noticed this. I also never heard of this procedure and all I can say is "OUCHIE!!!"

I hope you are feeling better today and everything will be better for you from here on in.

Take care and take it easy.

{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}

Logan
08-31-2007, 09:15 AM
Kim, are you feeling any better now? I do hope so!!!!

Twisterdog
08-31-2007, 08:29 PM
My niece had it done years ago and said it was by FAR the best and wisest thing she ever did.

columbine
08-31-2007, 08:41 PM
I'd have one if I were covered for it! I've been anemic since the 1980s. But I'm just an HMO grunt. Meanwhile, I recommend generous quantities of high-quality chocolate! ;)

Love, Columbine

krazyaboutkatz
08-31-2007, 10:36 PM
I'd have one if I were covered for it! I've been anemic since the 1980s. But I'm just an HMO grunt. Meanwhile, I recommend generous quantities of high-quality chocolate! ;)

Love, Columbine

Columbine, I only have Kaiser Insurance which is an HMO and I only had to pay $100 for my procedure. It's a lot less expensive than getting a hysterectomy because you have the procedure and then you go home later the same day. You should really look into what it would cost you.:)

kat_oo
08-31-2009, 10:06 AM
I had a thermal ablation this past Friday for Mennoragia. After a 14 day "cycle" and months of irregularity and pain, I was happy to get something done about it! I was in considerable pain afterwards and pretty much stayed knocked out on Lortab both Friday, and Saturday. I had to take another at bedtime last night. Today is day 4 and I am still having some cramping. Has anyone had one of these, and do you remember how many days you were in pain? I just want to be sure that I haven't gotten up too soon and caused any problems.

Thanks,
Kim

Hey! We had a ablation on the same day! You stated last Friday, which would make it 8/21. That is when I had mine. I am still having discomfort and now some bleeding. My doc said my pain was do to the Fibroid tumor they found. We are hoping the ablation will fix the fibroid along with the other problems I have had. Plus I just read, on a web site, it can take up to two weeks for the pain and cramping to go away. Lets just pray all of this will be well worth it in the end. Good luck to you!

Karen
08-31-2009, 12:02 PM
Oh, welcome kat, but Kim's was actually 2 years ago! But maybe she will see this and let you know how long it took her to feel better.