PDA

View Full Version : Jockey Suspended For Whipping Injured Horse

pitc9
08-27-2007, 02:09 PM
http://www.newsnet5.com/sports/13984424/detail.html

SAN MATEO, Calif. -- Russell Baze, the winningest jockey in thoroughbred racing history, has been suspended and fined for using his whip on an injured horse who later died.

Baze was headed to an easy win aboard Imperial Eyes at Bay Meadows on Thursday when the horse took a bad step and broke down in the deep stretch. According to a Bay Meadows spokesman, Baze urged Imperial Eyes forward after the horse recovered from the initial bad step, using his whip twice.

Imperial Eyes still finished second, but had a broken bone in his left front leg. The four-year-old gelding was euthanized after going into distress.

Imperial Eyes' trainer said he doesn't blame Baze for the horse's death, but the Hall of Fame jockey said he's sorry for his actions.

Baze will miss 11 race programs when he's suspended from Sept. 2-16. He'll also have to pay a $2,500 fine.

king2005
08-27-2007, 03:29 PM
I don't race or anything, but would he have known the horse was hurt ?

Was the horse limping or acting oddly & then he whipped it??

Or was he already whipping the horse when they were nearling the finish line trying to keep the horse going faster?

I cannot judge unless he knew that horse was hurt.

The horse must have been running well enough to finished 2ed :confused: I just don't know enough, so fill me in so I know how I should feel.

critter crazy
08-27-2007, 03:32 PM
When riding horses, you can almost Immediately tell when A horse goes lame, their stride and gait suddenly changes. As well as their behavior. Poor horse!!:(

king2005
08-27-2007, 03:40 PM
When riding horses, you can almost Immediately tell when A horse goes lame, their stride and gait suddenly changes. As well as their behavior. Poor horse!!:(

ok, but did he whip the hose before he knew it went lame? cause it said he only whipped it twice, so that tells me after that 2ed whip, he knew the horse was lame & stopped. Or did he start to whip the horse well after he could tell the horse was lame?

IRescue452
08-27-2007, 04:55 PM
Poor horse. Why would you get the horse back up and finish the race after a bad trip? He must have recovered quickly to still get 2nd. I'm at least glad to hear the horse wasn't a year or two old. Horses are raced far too young in my mind. No wonder they get injured so easy.