PDA

View Full Version : I didn't realize you were a girl?!

CathyBogart
08-27-2007, 01:08 PM
So...I'm riding my motorcycle up a three-lane road. Seemingly out of nowhere there's a Cadillac Escalade...Right. On. My. Arse. I was in the middle lane and the other two lanes were clear so he could have passed me easily, but whatever. I move over to the right, and he moves over behind me, getting closer and closer. I can see him making lovely gestures and vaguely hear him ranting at me.

I move back in to the middle lane and he's still on me, so I gun it and move over to the left. He pulls up next to me at the next light, and I look over at him as he leans out to (presumably) continue his tirade face-to-face. Suddenly he gets a really surprised look on his face and says "wow, sorry, I didn't realize you were a girl!". I sat and spluttered for a moment, but before any clever retort popped into my head the light changed.

I have to move into his lane again to make my turn and he gives me plenty of space and waves at me as I turn off. WTHeck?

I sure home my boyfriend, uncle, friends, or anyone here don't come across this a-hole. I'm finally starting to get used to the idea that you have to treat riding like every car on the road is trying to kill you, but this seriously hit a nerve...What is WRONG with some people?

caseysmom
08-27-2007, 01:12 PM
People are seriously stupid, when I see a motorcycle I give them all the room they need, I hate getting behind a motorcycle for fear of hitting them. So this guys was endangering your life for the fun of it because he thought you were a guy? Too bad you didn't get his license.

I worry about you on your bike, this isn't a lecture there are just so many stupid people out there please be careful.

Kalei
08-27-2007, 02:18 PM
Wow, that is retarded, I guess he just does it to men? It's not right to do that to anybody! That is so dangerous. I know when there are motorbikes on the highway I stay far away from them, I get so nervous around them because they are just so unprotected from the road if any accident were to happen.

I'm glad you were okay:)

RICHARD
08-27-2007, 02:26 PM
Let me a apologize for that AH.

Now,
Usually men who drive large expensive vehicles like that have small "things" and smaller brains.

They are jealous that people drive bikes for one reason or another.

Either they can't, won't, or have tried and failed.

I know its a pain, but next time try and get the plate numbers just in case.

----------

I have had people tailgate me, pass me and try to wreck me further up the road.

I don't have to say 'be careful on the road'.
You can be the safest and some jerk will come out of the woodwork. :(

CathyBogart
08-27-2007, 02:52 PM
I was too rattled at the time to have the presence of mind to get his plate number...mostly because I THOUGHT I was paying close attention to my surroundings and I didn't see him until it was too late to react.

Next time I'll be better prepared. I'll also recognize this guy if I see him again.

Jessika
08-27-2007, 03:04 PM
I ALWAYS respect other bikers on the road, NEVER tailgate because of that very reason -- its dangerous!!

However I must throw the comment out there -- I have met/had encounters with more "dumb" motorcyclists than responsible ones. First off, it appalls me to see a kid or teenager riding a motorcycle WITHOUT the proper safety gear on! I don't care if it is or isn't a law in your state, WEAR A HELMET, leather jacket, adn jeans!! I don't CARE how hot it is, I would rather be safe than DEAD!

And then the ones who weave in and out of traffic and even between cars in joining lanes. Talk about an accident waiting to happen.

But I know not to judge all motorcyclists by the few morons who live and use the roads near me, and I always treat them all with the same respect as the next guy, regardless of whether they're tailgating ME or not... lol

CathyBogart
08-27-2007, 03:07 PM
Lane sharing is legal here. It can be done responsibly or irresponsibly, it's all in the rider.

Jessika
08-27-2007, 03:11 PM
Lane sharing is legal here. It can be done responsibly or irresponsibly, it's all in the rider.
I don't believe it is here, it IS if they are two bikers side-by-side but not just a motocyclist trying to get ahead of traffic and is squeezing between two cars on the interstate.

caseysmom
08-27-2007, 03:13 PM
Actually I have no problem with lane sharing, I figure whats the sense of having a bike if they can't do that, they always pass me anyway so its not like I get behind them.

CathyBogart
08-27-2007, 03:27 PM
Plus, it eases a leetle bit of congestion for the cagers...er...car drivers on the road. :)

RICHARD
08-27-2007, 04:37 PM
Here in CA lane sharing is a precursor to lane diving and jellied biker on asphalt.

Some bikers will go about 70-80, then dive for that spot in between lanes.

Lane splitting is really not that safe.

The Bots Dots and lane makers do not let your bike track straight.
The paint used for defining lanes has glass in it, that makes it slippery in wet conditions.
There are mirrors on cars-sudden lane changes and people who empty ashtrays, flick ciggies, empty coffee and toss trash onto the road.

Freedom
08-27-2007, 04:37 PM
Suddenly he gets a really surprised look on his face and says "wow, sorry, I didn't realize you were a girl!". I sat and spluttered for a moment, but before any clever retort popped into my head the light changed.

I'd have spluttered as well! And probably hit the ground with my chin as it dropped in astonishment. Geesh, some people!

Glad you are OK.

I always find myself leaving way more space between me and a motorcycle in front of me than I would leave if it were a car in front. Seems to happen automatically, and I become aware of the long gap after I've already done it. Don't really know why, I've just always done that.

caseysmom
08-27-2007, 04:39 PM
Here in CA lane sharing is a precursor to lane diving and jellied biker on asphalt.

Some bikers will go about 70-80, then dive for that spot in between lanes.

Lane splitting is really not that safe.

The Bots Dots and lane makers do not let your bike track straight.
The paint used for defining lanes has glass in it, that makes it slippery in wet conditions.
There are mirrors on cars-sudden lane changes and people who empty ashtrays, flick ciggies, empty coffee and toss trash onto the road.

I guess when I am sitting in traffic and the motorcycles can sneak up to the front is when it doesn't bother me or it doesn't seem to unsafe.

Jessika
08-27-2007, 09:31 PM
I guess when I am sitting in traffic and the motorcycles can sneak up to the front is when it doesn't bother me or it doesn't seem to unsafe.
I guess we're all thinking of different "lane sharing" here. Sure it may irritate me if we're sitting at a red light and a biker does it, but that isn't that unsafe. What I'm referring to is on the interstate, going 70-75MPH, and they do it. That just seems HIGHLY unsafe to me, not necessarily on the bikers' end but on the people driving cars and trucks and what about those semis???

caseysmom
08-28-2007, 10:56 AM
I guess we're all thinking of different "lane sharing" here. Sure it may irritate me if we're sitting at a red light and a biker does it, but that isn't that unsafe. What I'm referring to is on the interstate, going 70-75MPH, and they do it. That just seems HIGHLY unsafe to me, not necessarily on the bikers' end but on the people driving cars and trucks and what about those semis???

Its funny because that doesn't irritate me at all, I always think more power to you get out of this mess if you can!

elizabethann
08-28-2007, 11:00 AM
You should wear a t-shirt or coat with HELL'S ANGELS on the back. I bet he wouldn't have tailed your butt then. :D

Karen
08-28-2007, 11:25 AM
What struck me about the whole thing is that his causing all that trouble - and potential danger would have been okay if you were a GUY?

That's the oddest "chivalry" I've come across in a long time.

Jessika
08-28-2007, 01:53 PM
Its funny because that doesn't irritate me at all, I always think more power to you get out of this mess if you can!
If you lived here (I say "here" as in near St. Louis, not down in Branson hehe) you'd have a different outlook on it. It's mostly arrogant kids who don't care about their own safety much else the safety of others and the way they do it is just.... grrrr! I KNOW there are responsible bikers out there that's why I'm not lumping them all into the same category, just in this area, I don't think its safe. Not only the bikers, but you have arrogant kids driving "souped out" cars who think they own the world and drive like jerks... *roll eyes*

caseysmom
08-28-2007, 02:10 PM
More often than not its some hunky guy with nice arms so I don't mind :D

RICHARD
08-28-2007, 03:43 PM
Since we have covered the smart MC riders....

-------------------

Robbers snatch dog poo

A Chinese woman has told how robbers snatched a parcel of dog poo wrapped in newspaper out of her hand outside a bank.

Mrs Chen, of Laohekou city, was waiting in the bank to withdraw money when nature suddenly called for her dog.

"While I was waiting in the queue, my dog had to poo. So I asked for several pieces of newspaper to wrap the poo," she said.

After wrapping it, Chen left the bank, and was waiting to cross the street to throw the parcel into a rubbish bin when the robber struck.

"A motorcycle stopped swiftly before me, the man on the rear seat seized the package from me, and they sped away," she said.

Police are investigating the case while "laughing at the stupidity of the robbers", according to Chutian City Papers.

crow_noir
08-28-2007, 09:40 PM
LOL! Sweet Justice :D :p

Robbers snatch dog poo