PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on suv's

caseysmom
08-27-2007, 11:45 AM
I have been car hunting for a few months now. I have a minivan, this is my second minivan and I am sort of sick of them. I love the room and versatility but my kids are older teens now so I want something "cooler".

Toyota just came out with a new highlander, has anyone seen it, just wondering what anyone thinks, I was choosing between it and a pilot.

Here is a link:

http://www.autobytel.com/content/shared/articles/templates/index.cfm/article_id_int/2563/id/22436/ovchn/INK/ovcpn/SiteMatch/ovcrn/SMX/ovtac/PI

my husband has a 2002 highlander and I love driving it, it is very zippy and handles very well.

Edwina's Secretary
08-27-2007, 11:50 AM
I drove a Jeep Liberty as a rental car recently and LOVED it.

Cincy'sMom
08-27-2007, 12:04 PM
I drove a Jeep Liberty as a rental car recently and LOVED it.

I have a Dodge Nitro which is built on the same frame as the Liberty, and I love it. Not great gas milage, but what SUV really does have that?

caseysmom
08-27-2007, 12:09 PM
My husband will either go toyota or honda. Can you guys hit the link and give me an honest opinion on the highlander, its not as pretty as the previous highlander but just want some opinions. The outside isn't real important to me but I don't really want to drive a completely ugly car either.

kittycats_delight
08-27-2007, 12:40 PM
My husband will either go toyota or honda. Can you guys hit the link and give me an honest opinion on the highlander, its not as pretty as the previous highlander but just want some opinions. The outside isn't real important to me but I don't really want to drive a completely ugly car either.

I think it is far from ugly. I think it is rather stylish and elegant as far as SUVs go. It has a lovely interior and looks like loads of room inside too. I think it is quite nice. :)

caseysmom
08-27-2007, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the input...it sort of looks more mini-vanish than the previous model year or at least that is what I was afraid of.

jazzcat
08-27-2007, 12:44 PM
I think it looks nice. Just make sure you are happy with it if that is going to be your car. I let Dh talk me into a Jeep Grand Cherokee when I really wanted a Jeep Liberty Renegade and I've always kind of regretted it. I like the Grand Cherokee and it's actually a step up SUV but my heart was set on that Liberty with the light bar across the top. Don't know why I want that so much. :confused:

I'm a die hard Jeep fan so I really don't know much about the other kinds except the Isuzu Ascender - - Don't get that one! My sis-in-law got that brand new and hated it so badly she was trying to trade it in about 6 months later. She finally did trade it in after about 18 months for a Subaru Tribecca or something like that. She's happy now.

caseysmom
08-27-2007, 12:47 PM
I won't let him tell me what to buy but on the other hand I want him on board with my decision so it will be easier all around :D I wanted black and he is trying to talk me out of it, he may be right I may regret getting black I am sort of leaning toward the light blue with the black leather interior.

kittycats_delight
08-27-2007, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the input...it sort of looks more mini-vanish than the previous model year or at least that is what I was afraid of.

I don't think it look mini-vanish. I think it looks very much like a SUV. I like the lines of it. Nice curves and lines. (hehehehe sounds like I am talking about a girl)

kittycats_delight
08-27-2007, 12:52 PM
I won't let him tell me what to buy but on the other hand I want him on board with my decision so it will be easier all around :D I wanted black and he is trying to talk me out of it, he may be right I may regret getting black I am sort of leaning toward the light blue with the black leather interior.

I love black cars. But you see every little ding, scratch and speck of dirt.

I like the light blue. Very nice color. I don't know about the black interior. That is going to be super hot in the heat of summer. I really like the look of the cream interior.

caseysmom
08-27-2007, 12:58 PM
I am hell on interiors, I spill coffee and everything else, I wish there was a gray that is what I always buy. Beige will really show the dirt, your right though the black leather seats will be hot, it gets really hot here.

Karen
08-27-2007, 01:34 PM
We have a Honda CRV and love it. Just a plug, there. But it is smaller than the Pilot, and maybe you need a bigger car.

Catty1
08-27-2007, 02:39 PM
SUVs are equated with gas guzzling and negative impact on the environment.

I'd go by the gas mileage first, and check that out.

My reaction to an actual SUV: No.

caseysmom
08-27-2007, 03:10 PM
I currently have an odyssey that gets 16/20, the highlander gets 17/22 so its not an issue.

Actually considering my fuel is for me and my 2 kids its a lot more effecient by person than a small car for one person, please I need the room for my family...no bashing.

Karen
08-27-2007, 03:16 PM
SUVs are equated with gas guzzling and negative impact on the environment.

I'd go by the gas mileage first, and check that out.

My reaction to an actual SUV: No.

It depends on the SUV - our CRV is considered an SUV by some people - a small SUV - and it gets 26 miles per gallon. There are also Hybrids of many of Honda's cars on the market now.

caseysmom
08-27-2007, 03:18 PM
Karen, those CRV's are very nice, I like the new one that just came out also.

Freedom
08-27-2007, 04:31 PM
My husband will either go toyota or honda.

He he, me too. I've only ever owned Hondas, but I always consider the Toyota as well.

Has Consumer Reports had a chance to review it yet? I often try to see what they say and how their comparison chart looks. Especially if you've narrowed it down to just 2 or 3, those chart help.

caseysmom
08-27-2007, 04:33 PM
I think what is pushing me to highlander also is the towing capacity, it is 5000 lbs in the highlander and only 3500 lbs in the pilot. I want to get a pop up in a few years.