PDA

View Full Version : He's gonna fit in here TOO WELL!!

catnapper
08-26-2007, 12:56 PM
Ut-oh, I think Tuscan will fit too perfectly into this house. ;)

He is the absolute SWEETEST cat. And its heartbreaking to see how thin he is. He's 11.6 lbs. He should be at least 20 based on his body size. He is a LOT like Allen. Same wide eyes, same sweet expression. Same easy going demeanor. Only rail thin.... as we all know, Allen doesn't worry about being too thin ;)

When we got home, I opened the carrier and released him into my son's room. Flutter was on the bed and watched. She didn't even seem impressed that a new kitty was in the room. He ran under the bed and hid.... 5 minutes later Harry came out from under the bed!!! I had NO IDEA Harry was in the room, and I didn't hear a peep from either boy while they were both under the bed. Strange.... I totally expected a bunch of hissing.

He hid under the bed for a few hours. Then came out for petting and ate some crunchy food, used the litter box, and gave lots of heabumpies. He tried to play a bit but got spooked and ran back under the bed. He wants out but isn't sure about his surroundings yet.

He's got a clean bill of health from the vet, excluding a minor case of pink eye. He's so skinny. I can feel every bone in his body; his waist is the thickness of my wrist! :eek: He sorely needs a good bath and brushing.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/kasdesign/DirtyandSkinny.jpg

The flash was spooking him, so I tried to take a few photos without flash. This was the best of the lot. Can you see how thin he is? Its all hair and not much else.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/kasdesign/OnTheBed.jpg

"Someone" opened the bedroom door and Tuscan met a doggy for the first time. He handled it very well! :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/kasdesign/MeetingDoggy-1.jpg
Then he wanted out in the hallway -- he put his massive fluffy paw in the doorway and tried to pry the door open more to see Flutter! (see Flutter butt in the background?)

All in all, this is one of the sweetest cats I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. I need a new name for him. Tuscan doesn't fit him at all.... besides it doesn't fit the name theme around here either ;) The rescue will still have him listed as "Tuscan" but I want to call him something else.

Kalei
08-26-2007, 01:05 PM
Aw that is so great that he doesn't have any sicknesses and that he is getting along with the other cats:) He is such a beautiful cat, and just think of how handsome he will be when he has weight on him too. I know it won't be long before he does:D

And cats are very smart, I'm sure if you wanted to name him something else, he would learn his new name pretty quickly.

catmandu
08-26-2007, 01:24 PM
I think a graet name for that Cat would be Treasure as he certainly is such a Treasure of a Cat. And with some Good Food and TLC he will sure be a Big Happy Companion Cat.
Michael and Miquelito and the Orange Porch Angels send An Awesome Orange MEEEEOOOWWW to this Wonderful Lucky Cat!!

sirrahbed
08-26-2007, 02:18 PM
What a gorgeous boy!!! :D Oh my I am so glad he is in your house! He will soon grow plumber, healthier and even sweeter! I don't think one can ever have too much orange :D Your kitties are so happy and friendly - glad to hear that they have been so accepting of the stranger! I will enjoy seeing more pictures.

Donnaj4962
08-26-2007, 02:51 PM
What a gorgeous Orangeie! :eek: :D

He looks a lot like my friend's "Punkin Rapture".... who is the most laid back cat I have ever come across!

I kind of like the name Tuscan, although I know it doesn't fit in with your other kitties names. His coloring reminds me of the "Tuscan Sun" in Italy. Okay, not like I have ever been there.... except in the movies! ;)

shais_mom
08-26-2007, 02:57 PM
he looks like super skinny Noah!
what a cutie!

Catsnclay
08-26-2007, 03:38 PM
Ok, I must have missed something! :rolleyes:

How did you come about getting this beautiful boy???

It just warms my heart when I see people taking in kitties (& other's) that are homeless or in need.

Kim, I think he has found his new home!! Congratulations!

:D

catnapper
08-26-2007, 04:21 PM
Well, he met Cameron and is very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very tolerant. Cam grabbed hold of his tail with a vise grip and refused to let go. I couldn't pry his little hands off the tail, which stunned me because he's learned to be nice to kitties.... but then again, he's never seen a kitty with such a fluffy tail before. This orange boy didn't even flinch. :eek:

Abby is officially ticked off. I heard all about it this afternoon and I'm getting her famous cold shoulder. Sigh, I knew I could count on her to get hissy.

orangemm
08-26-2007, 04:37 PM
Sounds like the boys are playing nicely together! How wonderful there haven't been any confrontations. He is such a beautiful boy, and so lucky to have you taking him in.

I guess someone had to pull a snit! :D ;)

krazyaboutkatz
08-26-2007, 05:15 PM
He sure sounds like a sweetheart and this is also exactly how my Sky is too.:) I'm so glad that you were able to take him in and give him the extra loving care that he needs.:)

As for names kind of like the name Rusty and you could spell it Russty so he would have the double letter thing going on. You could also just call him Russ for short. Also Cheddar, Cayenne, or Copper would also work. I'm sure you'll think of something good.:)

jenluckenbach
08-26-2007, 07:02 PM
Sunny!!! Fits the theme (double letters)

Or Cubby.

Or Bubba.

Or Jazzy, Tanner, Bobby, Skinny .......shall I continue??

By the way, Pet Talk, you KNOW that this foster won't be leaving? RIGHT??? ;) :p

Catty1
08-26-2007, 07:15 PM
Russell!

At the Petland up here, a number of months ago, my mom and I saw a LARGE fluffy orange boy who HAD to be Maine Coon - and his name was Russell. It just seemed PERFECT! :)

Jen - no, no, no - this kitty is a FOSTER.

ROFL! :p

catnapper
08-26-2007, 07:31 PM
Ooohhh, I like Russell! I'll pass it by hubby, who told me tonight that this kitty won't be leaving. I told him the kitty WILL be leaving. Yup, this kitty will be getting adopted by a wonderful family. Yessireee.

Anyway, joking aside, I was grooming him and noticed a rather large mass on his lip. I've never seen anything like it. The vet TOTALLY missed this.... then again the clinic he went to misses a lot of things. Anyone know what this might be? A tumor? A cyst? A mole (do cats get moles?)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/kasdesign/LipSore.jpg
It kind of reminds me of a strawberry. There are red spots that would be hair follicles. It all looks bloated/swollen. It has to be sore.

PS: He's eating like a champion and let me trim his nails and tug on his hair (he had some major knots and didn't complain as I ripped chunks of hair out of him)

Catty1
08-26-2007, 08:21 PM
hmmm...maybe just an infected area from his rough time outdoors and being malnourished?

Does he react if you touch it?

Is your vet good but just misses things?

Just wondering who would be best to have a look at it.

cassiesmom
08-26-2007, 08:28 PM
Yay, Tuscan! I hope the spot on your chin heals up really fast, and that you will gain some weight and not be an under-weight kitty guy. Excellent job with Cameron and your tail.

catnapper
08-26-2007, 10:09 PM
I just got off the phone with our director. She said the vet records indicate its a rodent ulcer. I looked it up online and the photos shown don't quite depict what I'm seeing. I swear, the vet she uses is asleep at the wheel. He apparently got a steroid shot to help heal it and eye drops for his eye. I hope thats all thats wrong with him.

Pouncer finally realized there's a new cat in the house and has been a hissy mess all night. He even attempted to attack Flutter. She stood up for herself, don't you all worry.

PS: how long does it take for pink eye to clear up? The medicine doesn't say how long to use it. A week? More? Less? I want to make sure I give it to him long enough but not over-medicate him.

jennielynn1970
08-26-2007, 10:14 PM
Oh he just looks like he was meant to be there! What a handsome guy! What vet do you use (not K.A.H.??). Maybe the lump is an abscess from a sore he had or something. Maybe another animal bit him?? Can you trim around it and try to put some betadine on it as a warm compress?? Definitely get him to the vet.

So, have you decided on a name?? Russell reminds me of Russell Crowe. He's dark and swarmy though. Heath Ledger is a rugged blondish/reddish strappy young actor though! He had long locks himself in a bunch of his movies. Or Liam, that's a nice name.

What really suits his personality? Sunny was a nice suggestion. I just think he needs somehting more regal and something that goes with his gorgeous colors and his big eyes. They were so large, soulful and sad...

catnapper
08-26-2007, 10:20 PM
What vet do you use (not K.A.H.??). Maybe the lump is an abscess from a sore he had or something. Maybe another animal bit him?? Can you trim around it and try to put some betadine on it as a warm compress?? .
But of course she used K.A.H. -- I have yet to have a foster come from there with a complete and accurate diagnosis. :mad: :rolleyes: They simply stuck a cast on Angel and sent her on her way.... poor little girl had so many more problems that ended up needing major surgery (oh talking of her, I got an email from her hoomans this afternoon -- you should see how beautiful she is!)

I think he might have had something hit him (animal, human, etc) because thats the side with the pink eye. Too coincidental for me to have two facial problems on the same side and not be related.

Medusa
08-27-2007, 08:49 AM
The lump could be from a bacterial infection. When Creamsicle had hers, a growth developed on her lip and after her depo shot, it fell off. Pink eye should clear up in a few days as long as you're diligent in dispensing the medication. Good luck w/this sweet, handsome boy. He's found a wonderful, loving home. :)

moosmom
08-27-2007, 06:16 PM
How about the name Thomas??? He's beautiful Kim. As I said, if hubby says no...send him my way!! :p

columbine
08-27-2007, 11:08 PM
What an absolutely gorgeous orangie! I'd be tempted to call him Summer or Sunny or Chrysander (which just means "gold man," but really sounds like a king's name to me).

Love, Columbine