PDA

View Full Version : Chase Utley, Dog Hero

momcat
08-26-2007, 11:50 AM
Hi fellow PT'ers! I'm owned by a wonderful cat so I don't get here often, but there's a story I need to share with you.

A story was on our local news this week. A boxer mix dog was found badly beaten, tortured, repeatedly kicked and her face set on fire. Poor dog may need her leg amputated.

Chase Utley plays for the Philadelphia Phillies major league baseball team. He and his wife were at the shelter when this poor dog was brought in. Mr.& Mrs. Utley told shelter officials that they will pay all veterinary costs, rehabilitation fees, and any other expenses for this dog's full recovery!

With the Michael Vick situation dominating the news in recent weeks, it was so wonderful to learn of the Utley's generosity and compassion. Because of them, this dog will have a second chance at life and be a devoted, loyal companion for some lucky person. This is one Yankee fan that will be wearing a Chase Utley jersey!

Has anyone here heard anything about this? I've been closely following the news and sports for an update, nothing so far.

Thank you and bless you, Mr. and Mrs. Utley!!!!!

Ginger's Mom
08-26-2007, 08:48 PM
No I hadn't heard anything about it. That was very generous of them. I hope it will help in finding this little girl the special home that she needs and deserves.

K9karen
08-26-2007, 11:08 PM
dI don't watch sports too often, but root for the home teams, of course. I've read that Chase is a stand up guy. This proves it. Get well soon, poor dog. Curses on the torturer. (G rate site..I'm biting my tongue)

crow_noir
08-26-2007, 11:32 PM
Thank you so much for raising our awareness of this generosity (too bad it had to spring from someone else's cruelty.)

This is the most recent article that i could find... http://www.philly.com/inquirer/local/philadelphia/20070825_Pa__SPCA_seeks_men_who_beat_and_burned_a_ dog.html

Grace
08-30-2007, 02:08 PM
I googled this morning, with no new results. So I tried to call the PSPCA, where the dog is being treated. Could not get through to a real person. Then I sent an email - and it was answered!!

She’s resting comfortably. Her wounds are healing. She doesn’t look great but she definitely looks better. We are posting a $1000 reward at this time thanks to donations from concerned citizens. We are posting them in the neighborhood where she was found in hopes of finding the jerks. We will probably do an update next week and announce the reward amount on TV.

Sincerely,

Lisa Rodgers

momcat
09-02-2007, 12:25 PM
Grace, Thank you so very much for the update on this poor dog. What a relief to know her wounds are healing and she's resting comfortably. A good sign to be sure. As for the (insert your own expletives) that did this, may they never have another peaceful day or comfortable rest!

Grace
09-07-2007, 01:35 PM
An update on this story (http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=animals_oddities&id=5641677)

The video is delightful. She is a lovely dog.

Her name has been changed, at the suggestion of Jen Utley, to one befitting a survivor: "Etana," indicating spiritual strength and determination.

pitc9
09-07-2007, 01:47 PM
LES... oh the poor girl. :(

But Yippeee for the Utley's for stepping in paying her vet bills!!!!

delidog
09-07-2007, 10:50 PM
I saw this a couple of weeks ago.....Yes,Chase & Jen Utley are stand up people....And His Team Mates seem to be taking a True Interest....
I hope that They adopt her....
So Sad...Such a Beautiful dog...Just like he said,Anyone that can do that to a 35lb. dog is a Coward!!!!!
I hope to see more updates....
Get Well Soon Little Boxer Girl!!!

momcat
09-09-2007, 01:14 PM
Once again Grace, thanks for the article. I did see this on channel 10 news the other night but haven't had a chance to spread the good news. On the news clip I saw, both of the Utley's were petting her and playing with her. Etana was responding quite well to their attention and, for all she has been through, looks quite good. Word is she'll be ready for adoption in about another month.

Prayers that this sweet dog will find a home full of love where she'll enjoy a life free from fear and full of all the things our wonderful pets deserve!

cyber-sibes
09-09-2007, 02:20 PM
The cruelty of some is outdone by the generosity of others. :) Kudos to Chase Utley & his wife, fine examples of human beings! Especially after the horror of the Vick case, this should be front page news! Thanks for posting it.