PDA

View Full Version : Should I get another litterbox???

moosmom
08-23-2007, 09:51 AM
I know the rule of thumb is one box per cat. I have 5 cats and 3 boxes. I live in a two room studio and litterbox space is limited. I've noticed the cats use one box more than the other two and the litter has to be changed alot more frequently. I've noticed that when I walk into my apartment, I can smell the litterbox odor after only a week (I use Feline Pine). I remove the solid waste twice daily and when it turns to sawdust, I dump the box and start all over.

SHOULD I get another litterbox?? I can put another box in my bedroom if I have to.

What do you think?

Craftlady
08-23-2007, 11:16 AM
I have 3 boxes for 5 cats. However, they only use the downstairs 2 on a regular basis. Fresh Step is what I use and only time you "smell" anything is when Eleanor has visited since she doesnt bury. LOL

You have enough boxes in my opinion. Just scoop more often than 2x a day if you can to keep the odor under control.

catmandu
08-23-2007, 05:21 PM
I use the heaviest clumping litter than I can find the Pet Valu Heavy Duty and even then I have to empty three times
to keep the smell down.
Another litter box would hurt though!!!!!!!!

jenluckenbach
08-23-2007, 07:27 PM
You could try another box, but since they seem to have a preference for just one already, there is no saying that they STILL won't like that one best.

Have you tried this
http://www.planetwiseproducts.com/felineSc.htm

It is SCOOPABLE pine litter. Since I found it, I use it mostly all the time. I won't say it is perfect, but I like it.

slick
08-23-2007, 07:55 PM
Jen, that's what I use. Donna, Feline Fresh tracks really badly but I'm willing to put up with that. It really does a great job at controlling odors and unlike the clay clumping litters, it doesn't all stick to the bottom of the litterbox like cement. Only once a month do I completely change the litter...then again, I only have one very tidy kitty.

Definitely I would add another box wherever it's convenient. I have two litterboxes for Max, both in the spare bedroom and he does use both. Sometimes he leaves pee biscuits in one and tootsie rolls in the other.....it depends on his mood that day. :rolleyes:

Good luck.

moosmom
08-23-2007, 09:19 PM
Jen,

I've tried the Feline Pine scoopable and didn't like it because of the tracking. I've got one cat, 15 year old Mollie Rose who digs to China and back to make sure her stuff is covered. Unfortunately, most of the "covering" ends up outside the litterbox. Thank God for Dustbusters!!!

Craftlady
08-23-2007, 09:25 PM
Jen,

I've tried the Feline Pine scoopable and didn't like it because of the tracking. I've got one cat, 15 year old Mollie Rose who digs to China and back to make sure her stuff is covered. Unfortunately, most of the "covering" ends up outside the litterbox. Thank God for Dustbusters!!!

Black & Decker makes one that's electrical (not rechargeable). WOW does it work and it costs $28 at Walmart.
Best cleaning gaget I've bought in recent years :)

kt_luvs_kitties
08-23-2007, 10:06 PM
I have 8 potty pans for 9 cats. And 3 for the fosters (5 cats)....

I save TONS of litter having more pots, they dont get all nasty as fast.

I completely wash them out every 2 weeks. Penny cant seem to get it in the box, as much as on the SIDES of the boxes :rolleyes: :p

I use the special kitty in a box(or jug), it is about 5.50. It works VERY WELL. I highly recommend it. It is the best clumping litter I have found, and it is a good price. (the special kitty in the bags are crap)

I also use a Scoopwell litter scoop, it has 2 different size screens to sift the litter, and a scraper on the tip. LOVE IT! I bought it for 30 bucks off ebay, and you can buy it at most pet stores for 10-15 :rolleyes: ;)

Hope this helps! :D

kt_luvs_kitties
08-23-2007, 10:06 PM
Forgot to say, I think it would be good to add another. Cant hurt! :p

columbine
08-23-2007, 11:03 PM
I use Yesterday's News litter (a lot of vets use it). It has a funny name because it's made from old newspapers! I originally tried it because it was light and easy to carry, but it works like a clumping litter without sticking to fur. The pellets get soft and more or less stick together when peed on, so I can scoop it with a slotted scoop. And the odor control is really impressive! It doesn't really track much, either - Smudge wouldn't track it around at all if he didn't have such big tufts of long fur between his toes.

Love, Columbine

odor docotor
11-15-2007, 12:17 AM
With so many of you having multiple cats, do you have a lot of odor problems?
It doesn't take long for an area to start smelling of urine if you aren't on top of things on a consistent basis. If you do have issues with odors I want to suggest that you give KO Odor Eliminator a try. Or if you get any urine stains around the house KO Pet Spot & Stain Remover is a great tool to have too.

Trav

Fuzzybuns
11-15-2007, 01:32 AM
Tidy Cats Scoop for Multiple Cats with Tidy Lock is what I use. That Tidy Lock is immediate odor control and it truly works! I have three stinky cats so it's been a constant search for something that works because one of the boxes is here in the office and I was being stinkied out of here. I started using this and haven't changed...probably won't either.
It's even easier to clean than other clumping brands...don't know why but it is.

critter crazy
11-15-2007, 06:15 AM
I have recently been using Arm & HAmmer High Performance Clumping Cat Litter, It is Awsome!! It is all natural, kind of looks like Old bird seed, kind of weird, but boy does it work!! It has a realy nice smell too! I can only find it at one store, around here, so I have to usually buy a few bags at a time. But I love it!
http://www.armhammerpets.com/images/products/high_perf.jpg

For two cats, I have two boxes. Today I will start Catsitting for my MIL cat, Nemo, and I will have 3 Boxes, for 3 cats. But I would imagine they will primarily use the two, since they have a system down....Pee in one, and poop in the other!:D

Laura's Babies
11-15-2007, 06:40 AM
I have 3 boxes for my 4.. the mainly use just ONE! :rolleyes:

Medusa
11-15-2007, 07:20 AM
Tidy Cats Scoop for Multiple Cats with Tidy Lock is what I use.

It's what I use, too, and it actually smells good, rather like lilacs. It really keeps the odor down except when Pidge does a #2. She scratches frantically but never seems to cover anything. I have 7 cats, 9 litter boxes and it works for me.

catnapper
11-15-2007, 09:46 AM
I swear by Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat. As far as I know, you can only get it at Petsmart. Its a bit pricey but well worth it. Majorly dustfree compared to the other clay-based litters and no smell to trigger my allergies (many have perfumy scents) it masks kitty scents beautifully and it clumps well. Well the masking kitty scent thing is a bit misleading because Miss Flutter can make the room clear after she's done #1. Someone so dainty sure can smell! :eek:

moosmom
11-15-2007, 10:44 AM
It's not the litter that's the problem. It's the fact that I have 3 boxes for (now) 5 cats and they all seem to use this one particular box. The Feline Pine breaks down to saw dust when it's ready to be changed. Well, while 3 last longer, this one box turns to sawdust it seems almost instantly.

I thought about buying one of those Rubbermaid storage bins (deep) which might very well solve my problem. I'll let you know.

jennielynn1970
11-15-2007, 01:16 PM
My boxes are somewhat spread out because of the amount of kitties here, and where they prefer to stay. No one is allowed in my basement any longer, because they decided to poop on the floor and pee along the walls. My house is over 100 years old, and it's an unfinished cement basement and is damp if I don't run a dehumidifier year round.

I have 2 boxes on the first floor. I don't want my main living/guest area to smell like cat boxes. Furbee is scared to death of other kitties, so I try to keep one close to where she likes to sleep (just outside the kitchen in the dining room that is never used). I have another one next to the front window where someone decided they wanted to spray and mark territory... so, litter box goes there, and less on the baseboards. :rolleyes:

2nd floor, there are 2 boxes in the library because that is usually where new fosters go to get acclimated. I have a spare room that at this point just needs to have the carpet ripped up and have tile or linoleum put down because they've hosed down the baseboards and/or peed over the sides of the boxes. There are 10 boxes in there. It's not like they are lacking boxes. I usually clean the downstairs ones once a day, and the upstairs every other day. I probably should do every day for all of them...

The fosters upstairs... Ally has 2 litter boxes, both covered, because she will also dig her way to China. Frankie and Sassy have 3 at the moment.

Lots of cats. Lots of litter. Lots of boxes. It gets overwhelming at times, and doesn't help when my depression gets really bad, which is why I really need to keep up with things, otherwise, the whole house will fall apart!

Oh, and I've tried a bunch of different litters too. I like the precious cat litter from PetSmart. Not a big fan of Odor Eaters or Nature's Miracle (smells like a barn to me). My guys hated feline pine and pooped next to the box. So, whatever clumps really hard and can absorb orders is what I get.

Medusa
11-15-2007, 03:01 PM
Ya gotta do what works for you. My house is small, just under 1800 sq. ft. All my litter boxes are in the basement. I like them as far away from the kitchen and dining room as possible. I do have one in the second guest room for Puddy because she's in CRF and I let her sleep separate from the other cats because sometimes Coco Puff gets too rambunctious for her and gets her upset, then she goes downhill fast. I clean all boxes twice a day, sometimes 3 if I feel there's been heavy traffic. Since I'm no longer actively involved in rescue, I don't foster any more either. I made up my mind that my new house was for me and that means the cats have got to mind their manners. So far, so good. :cool: