PDA

View Full Version : What will work to stop cat pee odor?!

Purr-tender
08-23-2007, 12:49 AM
Help!! I have a very serious problem with inappropriate peeing. I clean the areas as soon as I find them, but finding them is part of the problem. Right now I have a total of 9 adults and 5 kittens in the house. I am fostering the kittens and 1 adult, the rest are mine. I know there are too many but I am having trouble finding good homes for them. I'd like to hear what everyone is using in their multiple cat homes. I am ashamed to have anyone come to my home now. I hate to walk into someone's home and immediately know that they have a cat. Yuk! My friends say that they don't smell anything, but my husband says he does. You know when you live with it everyday you don't smell it. I have done a lot of research on Urine-Off and Nature's Miracle, has anyone here tried either? Urine-Off is pretty pricey, but if it works I'll buy a case of it!! Also, I have 3 litter boxes and just bought another to see if that helps. I know you're suppose to have a litter box for each cat but that's not gonna happen. The boxes are scooped at least twice a day. Love to get your thoughts and suggestions!

Freedom
08-23-2007, 07:16 AM
I never had any success with Nature's Miracle. When I lived in the aprtment, Mr. Amber Cat routinely peed out of the box. UGH!

When I bought my house, I made sure: NO carpetting, all hardwoods and linoleum. For easier clean ups. The new hardwoods which I had put in stand up well; the old ones stain. Will need to have those refinished eventually.

Prevention is the only clear way out, that I know of. I've had 15 cats in 14 years. Prevention means plenty of litter boxes, and knowing who has a UTI as soon as possible!

I know you said you aren't going to add boxes but, consider your options: more boxes or hunting around for stains and trying to remove odor. Oh, they sell black lights which you can use to find the stains. I even bought one of those, but knowing where the stain was didn't help eliminate it.

Some cats won't use a box that has been used. Some won't use a box that a certain OTHER cat has used. Some want one for pee and another for poop. Some guard the box and won't let anyone else use it. :rolleyes:

Maybe others have had success removing the odor, but I never did. Best wishes! Sandie

Medusa
08-23-2007, 07:51 AM
I use Urine Gone. You can get it at Bed Bath and Beyond and now they're even carrying it in supermarkets, such as Giant Eagle around here in OH. I tried white vinegar to no avail and when I found Urine Gone, it was a godsend. As you said, if you can treat the spot as soon as you find it, it's better. The important thing w/Urine Gone is to remove as much as the urine as you possibly can with a paper towel, then totally soak the spot w/the Urine Gone. Scrub it thoroughly, (follow directions on the bottle closely), then soak the spot again. I have 7 cats, 4 of which are occasional pee kitties. Occasional or not, I will not tolerate that, so I have them on medication and that's been the real breakthrough for me. Good luck w/this. I know all too well how frustrating and embarrassing this can be, not to mention just plain unsanitary.

Purr-tender
08-23-2007, 09:33 AM
Sandie and Mary, thanks for your advice. Sandie how many cats do you have now, and how many litter boxes?
I am pretty sure which of my cats are the offenders. Squeakers has been treated for UTI but may need more antibiotics, his sister Emmy Lou is just a rotten little girl, she's the one who is peeing in corners behind furniture. Hopefully once I find homes for my fosters the peeing problem will resolve itself. I just get so frustrated, it seems like all I do here is scoop and snoop! I do love each one of these little fur balls with all my heart and am happy to have them in my life. I just don't want to be ashamed to have family and friends visit. Also, do any of you use any kind of air purifiers?

Medusa
08-23-2007, 09:38 AM
I know you didn't ask me but I'll tell you that I have 8 litter boxes, one for each cat plus one. Plus I have one in the guest room for Puddy because that's where she sleeps because I have to keep a close eye on her due to CRF. No air purifiers; I figure the pee cats will do their thing on the air purifier, too, so why bother? :p Having multiple litter boxes definitely helps.

moosmom
08-23-2007, 09:44 AM
I've used Nok-Out which is an enzyme that neutralizes cat urine. You need to get a black light that will help you find the pee spots you can't see.

Medusa
08-23-2007, 10:11 AM
Forgot to mention: Urine Gone is also an enzyme and it has a black light enclosed in the package. Hope this helps. Confused yet? :p

Freedom
08-23-2007, 11:03 AM
I have 9 cats; and 8 boxes. 7 boxes have hoods, one does not. All have the same litter in them. They are in 3 bedrooms, so they are near each other, not out in the "public" rooms.

Nope, I don't have an air purifier. I think about it now and then.

Interesting thread!

Purr-tender
08-23-2007, 11:30 AM
I do have a black light, it's one of those big, bulky ones. I need to find a smaller hand held one. I used it in my livingroom the other day and totally freaked out when I found a huge, soaked area under a table in the corner by my fireplace. I know it was my Emmy Lou, she led me to it! The carpet really needs to come up in there anyway, my dog, Bink, had used it as his own personal bathroom until recently. That's a whole other problem...I want new carpet but that isn't practical, I can't afford hardwood and don't want to put something down that would affect the resale value of my home, either. Any thoughts on that?!

Mary

Medusa
08-23-2007, 11:51 AM
Laminates work great, they hold up under heavy use, clean up well and are inexpensive, plus they look like wood. Might want to investigate that. Also, the black light that comes w/Urine Gone is a small hand held one that's easy to use.

catmandu
08-23-2007, 05:24 PM
I got a cleaner from My Vets that worked very well with Karina , Pouncette and Tiger when they stayed over and were not too careful with thier bathroom habits.
I cant remember the name but your Vet should know the name.

mruffruff
08-27-2007, 03:29 PM
I have 12 cats and 10 litter boxes. I still get some inappropriate peeing. I have always used Simple Solution and had great results. They have a formula for cat spray and urine that hasn't failed me. I even use it on vomit spots to get rid of the odor and stains. Just be sure to soak the spot and leave it to dry.

My cats like to spray in the kitchen so it drips behind the shelf over the washer. After I wipe it off, I spray the crack with Simple Solution.

Laminate flooring is beautiful, but will lift at the edges if it stays wet for very long. I have edges lifting where someone drooled and I didn't see it in time. I just put hardwood-look vinyl in my rental. The renter said she liked it better than the laminate in another room. I do too. I will definitely be putting it in my cat room this fall. Vinyl has come a long way from the old days.

Purr-tender
08-27-2007, 10:52 PM
Wow, 10 litter boxes!! I have found that adding another litter box here has helped. In fact, they are using it more than the original ones. I also went to Petsmart yesterday and bought Comfort Zone diffuser with Feliway (it mimics facial pheromones) and also the spray. Cost was $77. for both but if they work it will be money well spent. Friday I bought Urine-Out and also Out. I am experimenting on which works better (big difference in price between the 2). So far I think that Out (the cheaper) works well.
I do have the wood look laminate in my kitchen and utility room, we put it down last year and so far I like it and haven't had any problems yet and there have been several accidents to clean up. Not sure that I want it in my living room though.
My Squeakers is spending the night at the vet's. They are going to check him for possible kidney stones. He is my worst offender. Squeak is only a year old. In a way I am hoping that it is medical and can be treated and will clear up his and my problem.

krazyaboutkatz
08-28-2007, 12:32 AM
I have 6 cats and currently have 8 litterboxes. All but 2 are uncovered. I've been using the feliway plugins as well as the spray for about 3 months now and it's helped a lot. I also bought cat attract litter (http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?cm_ven=goo&cm_cat=adwords&cm_pla=unknown&cm_ite=sku&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023690&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302033556&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441779416&bmUID=1188278716093) at Petsmart. As far as I know they're the only retail pet store that carries it. I just added it to the top of my old litter and it worked great.:)

Now I don't even have to use it because everything has been resolved. Dr. Elsey also sells precious cat ultra (http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444181 7605&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302033738&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023690&bmUID=1188278874593&itemNo=23&In=Cat&N=2033738&Ne=2) scoopable litter that also works well for later use.

I also use the simple solution enzyme cleaner and it's been working well for me. I hope that something will work for you. Good luck.:)

IRescue452
10-26-2007, 05:38 AM
Hate to steal the thread, but how's vinegar for bedding? Darn cat got my nice new bed set yesterday. Tried detergent with Jungle Jake. First time Jungle Jake let me down, big time. I just hate for the bedding to smell like vinegar too.

Best product for removing cat from household? I know, I'll get over it eventually, when the smell is gone.

Medusa
10-26-2007, 07:00 AM
White vinegar should work and if you also add a little bit of liquid fabric softener, it won't smell like vinegar. Finish up w/a dryer sheet of softener. Then close your bedroom door. LOL

AlleyCat
10-26-2007, 12:24 PM
I use Pet-Zyme. (Maybe Pet-Enzyme?) I can only find it at Petsmart. Even Petco doesn't carry it. But it has worked wonders for me. Everything else I've used doesn't work - I suppose the type of flooring, age of carpet, etc. does factor in, so I find Pet-Zyme works for me. It is also great for throw-ups, etc or any other situations that leave a colored stain; if you pour the Pet-Zyme on the stain and cover with a towel/washcloth and leave it for a bit, it takes the stain color out wonderfully.