PDA

View Full Version : Grrr! Why bother having a job at all?

Sevaede
08-22-2007, 10:24 AM
Okay, so I work in housekeeping at a nursing home (early-mid june). We have a housekeeping manager apart from the general director of the facility. It is a half hour, for one way, trip to work if Troy drives me. If I take the bus, I have to leave my house at least two hours in advance (I have to take several). I make minimum wage. The housekeeping manager has an out of state cell phone and has never answered it when I have called him. They NEVER call me at a good time (like, say, the day BEFORE so I know!!!!), rather they call after Troy has already left for work but just a few mins before they want me in.

We have a schedule but instead of it being "8-4:30" it just lists the amount of hours we are working. However, THAT doesn't matter because EVERY single day that I work, I have had to ask the day beforehand how many hours and WHEN I'll start. This makes it incredibly difficult and aggravating to schedule job interviews. I just have so many frustrations with the schedule.

I have had other coworkers tell me "Oh, you weren't supposed to be here for another two hours." on several occasions. I have been scheduled to work for eight hours, start at six AM, get told at nine AM that I'll be leaving at ten. :confused:

My days off are messed up. I usually have Monday and Tuesday. Now they're switching it up by giving me Sunday off, calling me in on days that I'm not on call, etc etc.

With a few things combined, this has made my search for another job difficult. I keep getting asked, "Well why don't you just QUIT?". My response is that I have bills that need to be paid, I can't just quit.

Last night, I tried to call (my aunt, who works with me) to get my schedule for today and was told that the housekeeping manager did not say anything to her about me coming in, about my hours, etc. So, this morning I get up at six to call her at work. She says she doesn't know (she's, also, known the manager for several years and is in a somewhat supervisory position, so that's why I rely on her) and to not worry about it unless I get a call. A few minutes ago, I get a call I don't really (the area code reminded me of Louisiana) recognize (name unavailable) while I'm right in the middle of something. I check the messages after I'm done. It's the housekeeping manager. He's all "Well, I just tried to call you again (uh, no? wouldn't I have recognized the number or, uh, heard a RING the first time?). I was gonna call you in at ten to work until four but I'm just gonna call in [coworker] instead because I don't know what's going on with you."

I'm sorry if any of this sounds like it's from a spoiled brat. Trust me, it's not. I am just so incredibly aggravated with my job. I want to quit, but, if I do, we won't be able to cover bills. It would be easier if Troys job hadn't rushed him into signing up for insurance and lied about how much it was going to be (over $340 per month!).

Any suggestions? (I wish I could get paid to go to school! :D Wouldn't that be awesome? :D)

Thanks for letting me vent! :)

Catty1
08-22-2007, 10:26 AM
Start checking the classifieds and update your resume and get it out to places you'd like to work at (whether they are hiring or not!).

This disorganization is total BS. Can the management not be reported, as this craziness and last-minute stuff is bound to affect patient care???

You are making only minimum - and this is costing you in time and stress as well!

Sevaede
08-22-2007, 10:37 AM
Start checking the classifieds and update your resume and get it out to places you'd like to work at (whether they are hiring or not!).

This disorganization is total BS. Can the management not be reported, as this craziness and last-minute stuff is bound to affect patient care???

You are making only minimum - and this is costing you in time and stress as well!

Indeedy! I've got a couple of places on my list to go to today (if I don't end up having to go in anyways? who knows!).

I believe so! I can try to report this to the director of the facility, as well as his supervisor (I am not sure if the housekeeping department is its own company? I have been told yes by some and no by others.). Troy, also, sent in a complaint to Avamere corporate offices, I think.

I try to point things out and he counters with other BS. He's completely unwilling to listen. He insists that he only has to give me 24 hours notice of a schedule change (which happens VERY frequently, the schedule change that is) but he never even gives me THAT much!

I have always been resourceful and able to deal with situations (I have eaten ramen for very long periods of time! XD) so I'm thinking about quitting anyways. Ahh!! I always have a sick stomach and anxiety now.

*hug* thanks you! :)

Alysser
08-22-2007, 10:50 AM
I am sorry you have to go through that. As said, that really is BS and the management and organization at that place is unacceptable. I wish you alot of luck in finding a new job where you will get a better experience. :)

Sevaede
08-22-2007, 11:39 AM
Thank you very much Alyssa! :) I am doing the best that I can. I'm just going along, handing in resumes, applications, going for interviews and the like. :)

OH! I forgot to add that the housekeeping manager has lied to me on occasions.

One instance, he lied to me about calling me in. I was scheduled to have the day completely off. His best friend is also one of my coworkers. She (the friend, I'll call E) called me to ask me to come in and cover for her because she SAID she had a doctors appointment with her mom. E tried saying that I owed her because she claims she covered for me when I had scheduled some days off ( a few weeks prior to the dates). That is not true. The agreement was I would work one girls (a different coworker) schedule for a couple of days and she would work mine (covering for me). To avoid any sort of rifts, I just let it go and went in.

I went in. Housekeeping manager came up and started talking to me. He was talking about how E was worried about what she was gonna have to say to get me to go in and whatnot. I didn't have much of a response. When I got home, I checked and saw that I had phone messages. One was left by housekeeping manager just a few minutes after I left for the bus. In it he's describing in a dramatic fashion about how E is "throwing up ALLLL over the place" and whatnot.

BLEH!

Pembroke_Corgi
08-22-2007, 12:32 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your trouble. It sounds like the management at your job is really unprofessional.

I know what you mean about not being able to quit, too. My husband really wants a different job (The management there is also very unprofessional and everyone is pretty upset. A women who is pregnant is not getting any leave for the baby- and if she does take off, she is not getting paid for any of it. They will most likely fire her, actually, and he works at a hospital :mad: ) , but we cannot afford to make a lot less than his current job so he has to stick it out till something else comes along.

I know it can be hard when your employer doesn't give you the respect you deserve. Best of luck finding a new job.

Jessika
08-22-2007, 12:43 PM
I work in a kind of similar environment (disorganization, not knowing things until last minute, heck we're even "spied on"!!). I put up with it only because I KNOW this is my last few months working there, and I KNOW I have something much better coming to me this next spring.

My suggestion, if you're only making minimum wage, screw that job, schedule a few interviews, because seriously isn't it some sort of law to allow you X amount of hours or days notification in advance of a work schedule? If you aren't technically scheduled, then you have no obligation to come in?

Even if you just got a job at the local pet store, or some store nearby, I'm sure that would allow you some stability while still making around the same amount of money, without all the BS you're dealing with now, to look around for another job. Because, trust me, I DO know how you feel, every job I've had in the past you are describing almost to the T!! But I'm sure you can find some filler job that pays about the same and definitely has better hours at some store within walking distance. And you know what? Go ahead and schedule those interviews!! You should NOT have to wait around by the phone if you aren't on-call for days where you don't even know when you're working or even IF you're working!! That is so wrong of them to expect!

lizbud
08-22-2007, 05:00 PM
Sounds like you have every reason to be aggravated. What are they doing?
Trying to keep everybody on part-time status so they don't have to offer
health benefits? I understand you need the money, but geeze, this is a
terrible way to have to earn it.

Sevaede
09-18-2007, 03:57 PM
Arrgh.. I have more to add to my venting.

My *darling* boss decided to schedule me for TWO WHOLE DAYS this month. The rest of my schedule is just... blank. The first day, they shaved two hours off! I tried to call to get my hours for the second day and not only did nobody answer but I left a message and nobody called back or since!

Jessika, I went and found a second job at a local pizza store. I worked there, part time, for three days before they decided they wanted to hire a driver first and THEN hire me back (possibly). Back to looking. :(

Lizbud, they don't give benefits in the first place, unfortunately. What they want to do is make us do as much work as we possibly can in as little time as possible. It takes six hours to do all of our rooms (each side) in a reasonable time without compromising anything and without running around like a headless chicken. There have been times when I've gone to work, been told we were only working six hours, and then had tons of extra work piled on top and had to work past what they told us anyways.
I have been busting my butt trying to find another job but nothing is panning out. A lot of employees act aggravated when I come in to check on my applications. Well, I'm sorry that I have a bus pass to buy, gas, food, electric, rent. :p I feel like a lot of time is wasted because I go around to all of these places and a lot of them don't do paper applications or just tell me "well we'll call you if we want an interview" (when I go to check on my app). They all do it online or want resumes (I don't have a printer, so I ask for emails to send it to). I am so frazzled! *pulls out hair*

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I am online submitting applications, looking at the states employment site, etc. :D

Laura's Babies
09-18-2007, 05:01 PM
I have a life that I PLAN and there is no way I would have a job like that! They would give me a schedule and stick to it or I'd be history! K-Mart use to try to tell me (worked there part time many years ago) that I had to check my schedul daily for changes.. I told them "Nope, I write my schedule down when it comes out and plan my week accordingly. YOU check with me before you make changes to mine!"

Maybe you should have stayed here in La... They are begging for help around here EVERYWHERE! Due to the influx of all the Katrina people, businesses are swamped and don't have the hired help to serve them. Construction is booming big time all around us. We got a Lowes and a Home Depot opening soon and last I heard, they don't know how they are going to get the help once the stores open. We got all these people and nobody wants to work.. :confused: ?

My sister went to the Tillamock Fair with my brother and family and said that had a blast. She said that will be on her schedule yearly from now on! How close are you to Tillamook?

crow_noir
09-19-2007, 12:05 AM
They need to post to MI job listing sites! We're hurting for jobs up here and people are usually more than willing to move.

Maybe you should have stayed here in La... They are begging for help around here EVERYWHERE! Due to the influx of all the Katrina people, businesses are swamped and don't have the hired help to serve them. Construction is booming big time all around us. We got a Lowes and a Home Depot opening soon and last I heard, they don't know how they are going to get the help once the stores open. We got all these people and nobody wants to work.

Wenisrubber the best of luck in finding a job that will treat you with the respect and dignity that you deserve and the pay that you need.

Sorry that i don't have any advice.

Sevaede
09-19-2007, 12:52 PM
I believe that the manager has no idea what he's doing. Every time I voice my concerns they get very uppity but I still speak them. For example, when I point out that they didn't give me any notice of a schedule change, they claim they only have to give me 24 hours notice of a schedule change but it's pretty ironic because they don't even give me that! They call me the night before. They even call me upwards of TWENTY minutes before they expected me to be there.

We should have. I really am kicking myself for having left. I would readily work at Lowes or HD (if I knew anything about tools, home repair, etc. lol!)!

I am about three hours from Tillamook! :D Tillamook is big for their cheese (they also make jerky)! Do they have a dog? 'Cause a couple of years ago they were having trouble with people planting things on the beaches. When dog folks would walk their dogs on the beach, the dog would get into something and get injured or worse. :( I haven't heard anything in a while but just in case!

I have a life that I PLAN and there is no way I would have a job like that! They would give me a schedule and stick to it or I'd be history! K-Mart use to try to tell me (worked there part time many years ago) that I had to check my schedul daily for changes.. I told them "Nope, I write my schedule down when it comes out and plan my week accordingly. YOU check with me before you make changes to mine!"

Maybe you should have stayed here in La... They are begging for help around here EVERYWHERE! Due to the influx of all the Katrina people, businesses are swamped and don't have the hired help to serve them. Construction is booming big time all around us. We got a Lowes and a Home Depot opening soon and last I heard, they don't know how they are going to get the help once the stores open. We got all these people and nobody wants to work.. :confused: ?

My sister went to the Tillamock Fair with my brother and family and said that had a blast. She said that will be on her schedule yearly from now on! How close are you to Tillamook?

Sevaede
09-19-2007, 12:53 PM
They need to post to MI job listing sites! We're hurting for jobs up here and people are usually more than willing to move.

Wenisrubber the best of luck in finding a job that will treat you with the respect and dignity that you deserve and the pay that you need.

Sorry that i don't have any advice.

Thank you very much! I am on my way out the door to continue my search! Hopefully it pans out! :D