PDA

View Full Version : Retirement Party - Need Help

elizabethann
08-22-2007, 08:41 AM
I am throwing a retirement party for a co-worker.

Another co-worker suggested we charge people $25 each for the cost of the meal and the gift. She said it was common to charge people.

Is this true? I've never heard of that but I've never thrown a retirement party for anybody before.

It will be at a restaurant and the meal is $15 each. I figure the other $10 can be towards the gift.

What do you think?

jackmilliesmom
08-22-2007, 08:48 AM
Yeah sure or get at least $5 from them and get your boss to match it!!! Should be interesting let us know how it goes!!!!

elizabethann
08-22-2007, 08:54 AM
Yeah sure or get at least $5 from them and get your boss to match it!!! Should be interesting let us know how it goes!!!!

We have a new CEO. Our old CEO would have thrown a huge bash for the woman who is retiring. He had a heart of gold. Then he retired and the new CEO came on board. But that's a whole other story and it's not a nice one.

:(

caseysmom
08-22-2007, 09:20 AM
That is pretty common where I work.

Cataholic
08-22-2007, 11:22 AM
Each to their own, but, since you asked for opinions...I think it is tacky. It isn't a 'party' if one pays...it is a benefit.

If money is an issue, I would word the invitations as such, "please join the group at XZY restaurant, where we will send Bob off"

mruffruff
08-22-2007, 11:36 AM
My opinion:

The company should be paying for the party. Either at a restaurant or at work.

If they are really that cheap, then invite co-workers to gather at a restaurant for a send off, dutch treat. As for a gift, a plaque or small trophy wouldn't be too expensive and could be financed through donations.

Ginger's Mom
08-22-2007, 11:39 AM
All of our retirement parties are done that way, elizabethann. But then I work for the government. :rolleyes: