PDA

View Full Version : Will have surgery next week, I may have cancer!!

Kirsten
08-22-2007, 08:38 AM
I have been diagnosed with a huge ovary cyst on Monday, and now it turned out the tumor marker for ovary cancer is slightly increased, so my gynecologist made an appointment for me at the hospital. I will go on Monday, and the surgery will most likely be on Tuesday next week.

All this comes very fast and unexpected, and is a huge shock. Needless to say, I'm very scared. I lost almost all my family from cancer already.

Kirsten

AdoreMyDogs
08-22-2007, 08:44 AM
Kirsten you are in my prayers. I do hope and pray that it's non-cancerous. :( I don't know what to say, this is so scary, I know. Just know that there will be lots of people praying for you during this scary time.

Barbara
08-22-2007, 08:55 AM
Kirsten, while all my thoughts go out to you: a cyst is a b...y nuisance but it does not have to be cancer and the tumor markers in especially this case are very unreliable.
So concentrate on getting rid of that cyst- and we all will keep our fingers crossed that it is not ovary cancer.

Daisy and Delilah
08-22-2007, 08:59 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with you, Kirsten. I hope it's nothing serious. Hang in there and stay with us here at PT for support.
{{{{{KIRSTEN}}}}}

Whisk_Luva
08-22-2007, 09:05 AM
:eek: :(

Prayers and good thughts your way!

(((Hugs)))

lizbud
08-22-2007, 09:10 AM
Kirsten, you will be in my thoughts & prayers for a good outcome. I hope
this turns out to be an annoyance and not cancer at all. It's bad enough
that the Dr feels it should be removed,then it's good to do it asap.I will be
keeping you in my prayers.

moosmom
08-22-2007, 09:43 AM
Kirsten,

Thoughts and LOTS of prayers coming your way from CT.

I have fibroid tumors all the time and they are no fun. Here's praying yours is nothing to be concerned about.

(((((HUGS)))))

Donna

Randi
08-22-2007, 09:46 AM
Kirsten, I hope it's not cancer, but in any case, it's good to have it removed.

Sending lots of positive thoughts for a good outcome! :)

(((hugs)))

JuniorxMyxLove
08-22-2007, 10:05 AM
oh my gosh I really hope that its not cancer. i will definitely be praying for you this week. good luck with the surgery!

Catty1
08-22-2007, 10:08 AM
{{{{hugs}}}} Kirsten - I am glad the docs are taking care of this right away!

Before my hysterectomy, I wanted the 'marker' test to see if I should keep my ovaries or not. My doctor said, that in healthy women, the marker test was a false positive most of the time.

Prayers going to you!

www.hystersisters.com

Also (for cancer, IF it is that): http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/view_cancer.htm

Great resources and support there!

HUGS!

gini
08-22-2007, 10:15 AM
Kirsten, I send you a big hug and lots of prayers that this is nothing at all.

It is good that you are dealing with it right away so that your mind can be put to rest that all is well.

Sevaede
08-22-2007, 10:28 AM
Kirsten, lots of hugs and my thoughts are with you! :( I hope all goes well. Just take it easy, try not to focus on the C word. :(

**HUGS**

Craftlady
08-22-2007, 10:28 AM
Will keep good thoughts.

pitc9
08-22-2007, 11:12 AM
I'll be thinking of you.

Cataholic
08-22-2007, 11:36 AM
Lots of prayers coming your way, Kirsten. Of course, I pray it isn't cancer, but if it is, please remain confident that there is much to be done about it.

{{{Gentle Hugs}}}
Johanna

Felicia's Mom
08-22-2007, 11:36 AM
You are in my thoughts and prayers, Kirsten.

krazyaboutkatz
08-22-2007, 11:40 AM
Kirsten, I'm so sorry to hear this.:( I sure hope it's not cancer. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Karen
08-22-2007, 11:48 AM
You'll be in our prayers.

Pembroke_Corgi
08-22-2007, 12:27 PM
I'm sorry to hear you have to have surgery. I'll send out good thoughts and hope it's not cancer. :(

momoffuzzyfaces
08-22-2007, 01:25 PM
Prayers are on the way from me too!!! The cats have paws crossed for you too!!!

Kirsten
08-22-2007, 02:31 PM
I thank you all.

I'm pretty much beyond myself at the moment, it seems so unreal, like a nightmare.

For some reason, the worst is looking at Luna and Lily, it breaks my heart. I don't want to leave them, and I hope I won't have to stay in hospital for so long. Could be that I have to stay one or two weeks, depending on what kind of surgery they decide to do. I will miss them terribly!! I love them so much, and I know they will miss me too, especially Luna!

Kirsten

Donnaj4962
08-22-2007, 03:02 PM
Oh my Kirsten, I am so sorry to hear this news. I am sure that you are scared. My girls and I are sending many prayers and whisker kissies to you from Indiana.

Will your Mother be able to be with you? Will she take care of your furbabies while you are in the hospital?

I hope and pray it is nothing. And remember... they found it and it will soon be gone.

rg_girlca
08-22-2007, 03:14 PM
Prayers and positive thoughts on the way for you Kirsten.

Kirsten, been there, done that. If you need to talk about it, please feel free to e-mail me. :)

When I had a cyst removed from my ovary, I went to the hospital in the morning and came home later the same day. I hope it will be the same for you.

Will you have anyone that will be able to stay with you for a day or two?

joycenalex
08-22-2007, 03:49 PM
kirsten, you are in my prayers.

Alysser
08-22-2007, 04:10 PM
(((hugs))) and prayers to you, Kirsten!

sasvermont
08-22-2007, 05:01 PM
Dear Kirsten,

I hope that your surgery goes smoothly and the result is what you are hoping for.

Many of us here at PetTalk have had cancer scares. I have had cancer and been cured! So even if your results seem daunting, the initial diagnosis can be scarey but the outcome much better, down the road.......years later..........

So please try to keep yourself in a nice positive thought mode. I have found that it is so important to keep your spirits up during such a stressful time. Here in the US we have lots of support groups available for counselling and caring and information. Also, I have found that your best weapon is probably going to be as much information about your situtation, as possible. I know that for a while you will be in that unknown territory....and that is very frustrating. Once you get your surgery and the results, you will know which direction this will all take you.

Chin up deary. Take really good care of yourself during times like this.....eat a good diet and try to keep your spirits up! I know its difficult.

You will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Sas and her campers

lizbud
08-22-2007, 05:20 PM
Kirsten, SAS is right in her advice. I am also a cancer survivor so I do
understand the secret fears you have and the feeling of floating along
with the "unrealness" after first hearing a DR mention a possibility of this
dreadful disease. Hang in there. ((Hugs))

Catty1
08-22-2007, 06:16 PM
Kirsten - From what I read on the hystersisters site, you will likely have a laporoscopic procedure. That is a small incision with small instruments getting the cyst out.

Heck - there are entire hysterectomies done like that.

You will be unconscious, but home that day or the next.

HUGS!

phesina
08-22-2007, 07:12 PM
Dear Kirsten, the kitties and I are all saying our prayers and doing our dances and crossing our fingers, toes, paw pads, whatever, and sending our love and lots of healing energies and comforting thoughts...

Love, hugs, and purrs,
Pat (another cancer survivor [breast]), Peony, Sydney, Poppy, Elmer, and Priscilla Angel (who plans a trip to Germany to keep a close watch over you and help keep Luna and Lily company)

cyber-sibes
08-22-2007, 07:29 PM
((((hugs)))) to you, Kirsten. You will be in my prayers, and I envision you healthy & whole.

(BTW, hystersisters site really helped me through my fibroid & hyst. ordeal two summers ago--good information, lots of experiences shared, and some laughter to get you thru this. :)

Scooter's Mom
08-22-2007, 10:05 PM
I can understand your fears. In February 2000, I had the same problem. I had a dr. appointment on Tuesday, they thought something seemed "wrong" and sent me for some tests and ultrasounds on Wednesday. Thursday my dr. called and said, "you are scheduled for surgery tomorrow at 2 pm!" She was afraid it would end up being cancer. The cyst on my left ovary was 20cm and on the right, the cyst was 13cm. I lost both of the ovaries... I wasn't even 28.

I will definately say prayers for you and send you some positive thoughts for healing. You have all the love and support of everyone here at PT.

cyber-hugs from Arizona,

Crystal

kimlovescats
08-22-2007, 10:32 PM
Praying for you, Kirsten!

Hugs,
Kim

dukedogsmom
08-22-2007, 10:38 PM
I hope it's not serious. I hate that you have to wait so long to have the surgery. I know it must be really hard for you. We'll all be here for you.

K9karen
08-22-2007, 11:10 PM
Try to stay positive! I know it's hard. I've had female cancer scares 2x so I know your mind races and you're in a fog. Sending you hugs and prayers that everything will be OK.

slick
08-22-2007, 11:42 PM
Kirsten:
When I just now opened up PT, my eyes immediately spotted the word cancer and I just had to open this thread.

I've been there. I know what the waiting is like. I know your fears and anxiety. You are scared....not wanting anything to happen to you....and what would happen to dear Lily and Luna??

Please Kirsten, don't let your mind wander like that. The doctor has not confirmed it's cancer. Have the sir jury and deal with the issue when it's time. Worrying yourself silly and being stressed out is not helping any and it won't change the outcome. Besides, those precious furbabies will pick up your mood. You need them as much as they need you right now.

Through my cancer "ordeal" (and even before it was confirmed cancer), I tried to stay upbeat and positive. Attitude is everything and if, God forbid, I should have more treatment this Fall, I will carry a winning smile knowing that I'm going to kick this cancer to the curb.

We are all here for you so don't be afraid to lean on us. Give us your troubles and worries. Hmm, that reminds me...isn't someone here from the "Worries R Us" club??? :confused:

Good thoughts and prayers coming your way Kirsten. If I can be of any help at all, please PM me, OK??

slick
xoxoxoxoxo

DJFyrewolf36
08-22-2007, 11:56 PM
Dear Kirsten

My prayers are with you. The best thing is to stay positive! I've been through the cancer scare myself...at a young age at that. I believe the mind can do wonderful things, so keep your chin up.

*HUGS* on the way!

Logan
08-23-2007, 08:06 AM
Kirsten, I know you are very frightened, as any of us would be. What I can promise is that you will be in our prayers, every day. Is there someone who can update us on how you are doing?

I'm so glad that there are cancer survivors here who can give you their first hand experience. Praise God that they are survivors!!!!! :)

Much love to you and your girls,
Logan

Rachel
08-23-2007, 08:53 AM
Kirsten, I have had you on my mind ever since you reported a while back about not feeling well. This may well be the cause of that and the surgery may also be the cure for your being so worn down. This may be the very thing that will help you return to your previous feelings of health and well being. I'm sorry that you have to face an operation, but if that is what is what it takes, then we will pray for everything to go perfectly.

ramanth
08-23-2007, 09:13 AM
Many hugs and prayers sent.

Kirsten
08-23-2007, 02:49 PM
I thank you all for your support and your kind words. I really helps a lot!

I'm very tired today and mentally exhausted, that's why I won't write much (just want to go to bed).

My gynecologist made another ultrasound today and explained to me that the actual cyst is not the major problem, but a growth attached to it. She said it could be a part of the ovary, but in connection with the tumor marker she has to insist on doing the surgery. From what I've read between the lines, I feel she's pretty sure it's cancer. :( Also, she wrote "adnex tumor" in the papers for the hospital.

Oh, and I was told that I should be prepared to stay in hospital for about a week! :( That is a horrible thought, especially as I have to share the room with other patients, and I hate that. And it's hard being seperated from Luna and Lily for such a long time!

Also, my gynecologist isn't sure about a laporoscopy, it's more likely that they will do an abdominal incision. All this really scary!!

Kirsten

Catty1
08-23-2007, 03:32 PM
Kirsten - can your hospital provide some home care? That might allow you to go home earlier.

I had abdominal and was out in three days - but I had my mom's place to stay.

Do you have a friend or relative that can look in on the girls? Contact some pet contacts if you have any.

{{{{hugs}}}}

Kater
08-23-2007, 03:49 PM
You will be in my thoughts and prayers, Kristen!!
*hugs*

Kalei
08-24-2007, 06:12 PM
Oh my goodness, I leave pt for awhile and this terrible thing happens:(

Kirsten I hope with all my heart that it is not cancer, and that if they do surgery you will get through it very well and heal fast!

Please keep us updated.

Tollers-n-Dobes
08-24-2007, 06:27 PM
:( I'll be keeping you in my thoughts, Kirsten! What a scary thing to have to go through. I hope everything goes well for you. ((hugs))

Catty1
08-24-2007, 06:40 PM
I wondered what an adnex tumour was, so away I went on Google...

I found a really interesting German forum, so sent the link to Kirsten.

Also - in women under 30, only 10% of them are malignant. Now I don't need Kirsten's age, but she is a younger woman (younger than me I think!), and her chances are good.

I also read that ALL women get these cysts at some point, but most resolve during that time of the month. Some don't...

{{{hugs}}} again, Kirsten!

Barbara
08-25-2007, 03:35 AM
Kirsten is not under 30. And in Germany the general style is that people rather stay in the hospital a little bit longer than in the US- you wouldn't believe how far cultural differences can go sometimes.
But on the other hand Kirsten: I am sure there is someone taking care of Luna and Lily during that week and as I know from Filou and Tigris (or from our neighbor kitties Nemo and Minka for whom we care when their purrents are away) a week goes for the kitties in no time. They don't measure time as we do.
Just concentrate on yourself- you are in good medical care and you will know much more about therapy and everything in a week's time :)

Kirsten
08-25-2007, 04:01 AM
Barbara is right, I'm 41 (soon 42), and this makes the risk much higher for me. And I was told I'd have to stay in hospital for a week (+ or - a couple of days). Right now, I really have to say I envy the American people for leaving the hospital much sooner after a surgery. 3 years ago, I was surprised when I heard that the mother of an American online friend left hospital only one day after her disk hernia surgery. I had to stay 10 days after mine!! And after that, I was lucky that I was allowed to go home instead of going 4 more weeks to a rehabilitation center!

Luna and Lily will be looked after my neighbor and my mother, but I will miss them terribly!

Kirsten

*LabLoverKEB*
08-25-2007, 11:18 AM
Oh, Kristen! I really, really hope it is NOT cancer! I send you all my love and prayers!

Bengalz
08-25-2007, 07:53 PM
Lots of positive and healing thoughts for you Kirsten. I hope all goes well with the surgical procedure and the outcome is a good one. I think you have received some wonderful support from many people here and wise advice.

Hugs, Betty

jennielynn1970
08-25-2007, 09:20 PM
Will be keeping you in my thoughts Kirsten. I'm sorry I didn't see this till now! You should feel lucky that they keep you in the hospital for the length of time they do... too many people are discharged before they should be over here in the US just to have the insurance companies money. It's a shame.

Kirsten
08-26-2007, 07:51 AM
Thanks everyone! Your support means a lot to me!

Well, here they keep you in hospital much longer to monitor you after surgeries. It is probably much safer, yes, but it is stress for me to share my room with strangers, I totally hate it to have no privacy! That's why I would love go home after one or two days! Besides, every day in hospital will cost 10 Euro!

BTW, I asked Tenna (Uniqueviking), my friend from Denmark, to keep you updated!

Kirsten

sasvermont
08-26-2007, 08:23 AM
Kiersten, I would rather have a hospital stay in your country.

I am sorry to say, that most hospitals here are hoping for "drive-by" surgeries and proceedures. They are in the business to make money now and care is secondary. I have nothing against doctors and nurses but I do have a big problem with the management of the hospitals and the insurance companies that really run the business.

I hope that your privacy will be the biggest problem while you are there, since, in the scheme of things, will be over with as soon as you leave your hospital and go home. Hang in there. No one likes to share their private moments with complete strangers. Just remember that everyone is in the same boat, for the most part.

When are you to be admitted? Keep us posted, as we are all concerned about you and your health.

Here's to positive thoughts and lots of prayers coming your way.

Sas

Kirsten
08-26-2007, 09:40 AM
I am sorry to say, that most hospitals here are hoping for "drive-by" surgeries and proceedures. They are in the business to make money now and care is secondary. I have nothing against doctors and nurses but I do have a big problem with the management of the hospitals and the insurance companies that really run the business.

Well, it's not like that here, but our health system turns more and more into a two-class system. There have severe changes been made, and not for a turn to the better for those who have only the "normal" health insurance coverage. More and more things you have to pay on your own, and don't think the health insurance itself is for free! They're getting almost 15% of my income!!

I hope that your privacy will be the biggest problem while you are there, since, in the scheme of things, will be over with as soon as you leave your hospital and go home.

Well, that's true. When it really turns out I have cancer, this will be a problem that lasts for the rest of my life. :(

When are you to be admitted?

I wish I'd know!! I have an appointment with the doctors in hospital tomorrow at 2pm, and my gyno said the surgery was scheduled for Tuesday, but I do not know whether I'll be admitted tomorrow in the evening, or on early Tuesday. Would prefer to stay at home that night and spend it with my girls!

Kirsten

Sonia59
08-26-2007, 12:30 PM
I just see your thread now Kirsten. I don't know what to say that other people have not said yet. You are in my thoughts too and I wish you all the best. And don't worry for Luna and Lily, time will fly for them and before they realize that several days have passed you will be back home. ;)

Killearn Kitties
08-26-2007, 01:04 PM
The very best of luck to you with your appointment tomorrow, Kirsten. I will be watching out for news from Uniqueviking - it is kind of her to offer to keep us updated.

You concentrate on getting better, please!

Edwina's Secretary
08-26-2007, 04:23 PM
Kirsten, I too will be thinking of you....

AbbyMom
08-26-2007, 08:05 PM
Positive thoughts and prayers headed your way.

ChrisH
08-27-2007, 10:17 AM
Prayers and positive thoughts on the way.

Rachel
08-27-2007, 11:07 AM
Yes, I too will be thinking of you and praying for you. You are going to come through this just fine and then looking forward to feeling so much better.