PDA

View Full Version : Boy dying from cancer forced to give up dogs UPDATE #13/details #20)

Catty1
08-21-2007, 09:14 PM
How unfair is THIS? Why not wait til the poor little soul is in hospice??? :mad:

Boy dying from cancer forced to give up dogs

calgary.ctv.ca

POSTED AT 6:39 PM Tuesday, August 21

A Calgary boy who has terminal cancer is being forced to give up his two dogs.

Parker, who is dying from high-risk neuroblastoma, was given the two dogs by good samaritans.

Rudy and Cooper have been living with Parker and his mother for about a month in Calgary housing.

Parker’s mother says the dogs are a huge joy to her son, but Calgary Housing [ETA - subsidized/public housing] has a no-pet rule.

This means the family has to give up the two dogs or face losing their home.

They were given seven days to decide what they would do, and their time is up on Thursday.

Parker’s mother is hoping someone will consider taking both dogs into their homes as foster dogs.

All she asks is that Parker be allowed to take them to the park whenever possible.

Rudy is a 2-year-old Great Dane, and Cooper is a 6-month-old Hungarian Vizsla and Labrador cross.

Parker’s mother says both dogs are in perfect health, have papers and are house-trained.

For more information about fostering the dogs, send an email to: [email protected]

critter crazy
08-21-2007, 09:17 PM
Geesh!!! Why dont they wait till he is in the hospital, and pull the damn Plug!!!:mad:

mike001
08-21-2007, 09:30 PM
Took the words out of my mouth. That is downright cruelty doing this to a little boy who is dying of cancer. Wonder if it would help if everyone in the housing got together and fought for mom and the boy?

wombat2u2004
08-21-2007, 10:22 PM
The government never extend themselves to actually be nice to people do they ??? Nope, they couldn't care less. :(
Wom

Catty1
08-21-2007, 10:28 PM
The only thing I could think of is everyone else would say, "They have a dog, why can't I?" But I think the neighbours there would be a bit more considerate than that.

And the mom seems like a really responsible pet owner...the irony!

One would think she could sign a waiver...or something. It's bad enough her little boy is dying!

wombat2u2004
08-21-2007, 10:55 PM
The only thing I could think of is everyone else would say, "They have a dog, why can't I?"

Yeah, precedent could be set, but surely there is a little thing called SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES !!!!!
Wom

critter crazy
08-21-2007, 10:56 PM
I dont get why they cannot make an exception for a Dying child for crying out loud!! Nah They will wait till he is dead, then do something about it!!!:rolleyes:

Catty1
08-21-2007, 11:38 PM
http://content.calgary.ca/CCA/City+Hall/Business+Units/Corporate+Properties+and+Buildings/Affordable+Housing/Calgary+Housing+Company/Calgary+Housing+Company.htm

I just sent them an email...and I imagine they are getting quite a few of them!

IRescue452
08-22-2007, 05:08 AM
The mom seems like a really responsible pet owner? How did they come to have a great dane and a lab mix in a no pets housing facility if she's responsible? BS she's a good pet owner. Sure let the boy have his dogs for a little longer to help him through. But after that its time to give this woman a swift kick in the rear for putting boy and dogs through this situation. I hope they find a real home.

sirrahved
08-22-2007, 08:19 AM
I'm sure they knew about the rule before taking the dogs in. Tragic, really, for the boy. I blame the mother completely. This is one of the prices you have to pay for living in government housing.

kittycats_delight
08-22-2007, 08:39 AM
With all due respect I am sure they knew of the rule. They stress it to the limit when getting a government funded house BUT I think the rules were the last thing from the mother's mind. I mean really if you think about it and you have a young son who is dying from cancer or anything else for that matter and you are offered something to make his last little while on earth more satisfying and more happy wouldn't you do it. Wouldn't you say screw the rules my boy is more important cause really who are they hurting. I know several people in government funded housing with dogs and the only ones that ever got any trouble were those with LARGE dogs. If it is a little cutie lap dog then they overlook it. But when it is a dog that is large then they complain and treaten eviction.

Years ago when we were down and out. (my parents had just split and my mother was working for peanuts) We lived in low income housing. We had a cat at the time and my brother had an iguana and a large snake as well as a coouple of spiders. We were told my the housing commission you are not suppose to have animals BUT if we don't see it then it isn't there. They told us their biggest issue was with large dogs as you can't exactly hide them from sight. So tell me where is the justification there? As long as your animal can be easily 'hidden' then you can have it otherwise you can't.

I think the housing commission needs to step back and find it's humanity again (if it ever had any). Sometimes you have to bend the rules a little and I think in this case it is disgusting that they will not do so for the sake of a dying child.

moosmom
08-22-2007, 09:49 AM
I think the housing commission needs to step back and find it's humanity again (if it ever had any). Sometimes you have to bend the rules a little and I think in this case it is disgusting that they will not do so for the sake of a dying child

Michelle,

I couldn't have said it better!! I wonder if the Mom could get a letter from the kid's doctor saying it was in the kid's health's best interest to allow the dogs to stay, at least until after, if you know what I mean.

That is just plain cruel.

Queen of Poop
08-22-2007, 09:51 AM
I read elsewhere that a meeting was planned to decide today if the dogs could be kept under "special circumstances". The CTV article didn't mention that at all. All may not be lost for them yet.

pitc9
08-22-2007, 09:58 AM
I read elsewhere that a meeting was planned to decide today if the dogs could be kept under "special circumstances". The CTV article didn't mention that at all. All may not be lost for them yet.

Good, there's some hope left...

Catty1
08-22-2007, 10:12 AM
Wed, August 22, 2007
Sick boy's wish to keep dogs
UPDATED: 2007-08-22 01:50:57 MST

Cancer patient forced to choose pets or home

By NADIA MOHARIB, SUN MEDIA

http://calsun.canoe.ca/SAP/Home/2007/08/07/calcov.jpg

Parker Anderson-Stanley has spent three years fighting for his life and now the young cancer patient wants his mother to put the same fight into keeping the dogs who have added so much to what little time he has left.

The six-year-old, who is receiving palliative care, was given the two dogs in June by people trying to fulfil the wish of a sick kid, but the family's landlord, Calgary Housing Company, told them they have to get rid of the pooches or move out, Parker's mom, Alex, said.

"Parker wants me to fight for the dogs," Alex, 36, said yesterday.

Parker, his mom and brother Brody live in a Calgary Housing home -- which at $265 a month is an affordable option after Alex gave up her job and home in Canmore to be with her son in his fight against high-risk neuroblastoma.

The single mom recently got a memo giving her seven days to get rid of the dogs or face eviction.

"They have rules and I understand that," she said.

"I'm a single mom, with no job and a sick kid and Calgary Housing gave me a place to live when no one else would ... but I'm hoping they are making an exception."

Ald. Ric McIver, Calgary Housing's chair, said a final decision will be made today.

He said an exception to allow the dogs to stay has not been ruled out.

"We understand this is a very special case that merits very special consideration and it's going to get that special consideration," he said.

Parker was first diagnosed with cancer when he was three, on Alex's birthday.

This spring, doctors put Parker's prognosis at eight months to a year.

Parker, who had to give up his dog Cooper when he was first diagnosed, never forgot the love of a pooch and repeatedly asked for another.

When his mom said no, he would tell anyone who would listen about his wish.

Then, in June, two people Alex barely knows showed up with two dogs, within two weeks of one another.

"They thought 'let's give him his dream dog,' " Alex said.

"I seriously said no, but they kept at it and Parker really wanted a dog."

Alex said she hopes an exception is made so the dogs -- Rudy, a great Dane, and Cooper, a vizsla/black Lab cross -- who give life to her son and often leave him rolling on the floor "kicking, screaming and giggling" can stay. "I love them," Parker said. "Because they love me."

Alex is allergic to the pair but said she sees the "stress-reliever" daily difference they make for the entire family.

"They are a royal pain in the ass, I'm picking up poop bigger than my head and I don't get to sleep in but it's all freaking worth it just to see the look on Parker's face," she said.

"I did know better," she said of the no-pet policy. "But put yourself in my position, my son has eight months to a year, you only live once and you've got to try to put as much joy in as possible."

Queen of Poop
08-22-2007, 01:37 PM
He gets to keep them!!!! Special arrangements are going to be made. But he gets to keep his doggies!!!!

Ya hoo.

Finally something right has been done by our city!!

kittycats_delight
08-22-2007, 01:44 PM
He gets to keep them!!!! Special arrangements are going to be made. But he gets to keep his doggies!!!!

Ya hoo.

Finally something right has been done by our city!!

That is the best news I have heard all day. Time for the big wigs to get with the program and realize there is more to life they 'their rules' and 'their ways'.

WTG little man you can at least have some joy with your buddies until the good lord calls you to his side.

IRescue452
08-22-2007, 03:21 PM
Can she afford to feed a great dane and a lab mix? Maybe whoever gave them up should have brought chihuahuas.

kittycats_delight
08-22-2007, 04:33 PM
Can she afford to feed a great dane and a lab mix? Maybe whoever gave them up should have brought chihuahuas.

You know sometimes you have to show a little humanity. This is a 6 year old little boy who may not see his seventh birthday. His wish was to have the love of a dog in his life and 2 people granted him that wish. I don't think they would offer a huge dog without thinking about the cost of feeding it and besides with all the media coverage this story has gotten those dogs will not need for anything I am sure. I can bet they will be given the best of foods and vet care if needed and when the time comes and if mom wants to give them up there will be people lining up around the block to give them fantastic homes. Sometimes just sometimes the world and people can surprise us and unfortuately it usually takes something as sad as this story to see it.

Catty1
08-22-2007, 06:08 PM
Dying boy gets to keep dogs

calgary.ctv.ca

rre

POSTED AT 12:06 PM Wednesday, August 22

A 6-year-old boy dying from cancer may not have to give up his two dogs.

A spokesperson for the Calgary Housing Company, Dale Stamm, says his staff are doing everything they can to assist Parker Anderson and his family.

Anderson and his mother Alex live in a Calgary housing unit and accepted the dogs as a gift even though their complex has a no-pet policy.

Stamm says Calgary housing has some units were pets are allowed and the company is trying to help the family find a space so they can keep the two dogs.

“When Mrs. Anderson advised the Calgary Housing Company that she needed her dogs for therapeutic reasons, the company immediately started to work with her on a long-term plan to preserve her tenancy,” says Stamm.

The plan may also include finding a housing unit that is close to the Alberta Children’s Hospital for Parker’s treatment for high-risk neuroblastoma.

sweetpatata6
08-22-2007, 07:32 PM
My emotions have been changed from :mad: :mad: :mad: and now to :D :D :D Praying helps!

moosmom
08-23-2007, 10:14 AM
That's wonderful news!!! LOVE Happy endings!! :D