PDA

View Full Version : New TV..question

slleipnir
08-21-2007, 04:41 PM
I got a new TV today. I haven't bought a TV stand for it yet, so for now it's sitting on top of my old one..however, the cats always jump up there. It's flat screen, so I'm a little worried they'll knock it over...I'm curious, do you think they could knock it over? It has a fairly sturdy base but I'm not really sure...or what about some way to keep them off the stand?
http://tainted-sky.net/new_tv.jpg
(I haven't had tme to sell the old one yet lol)

jazzcat
08-21-2007, 05:08 PM
We just got a new TV two weeks ago and have been dealing with the same issue, plus I'm worried their claws will scratch the screen. We anchored our TV base down with a cord device that is meant to hold down your trunk door if you haul an oversized load in your car. So on that note could you use something like a bungee cord to hold down the base of the TV to your stand?

Also to keep the cats off our TV stand and away from the TV we placed carpet runner with the little spike upside down on it. They don't like the way it feels so they stay off and away from the TV. Well most do but Moxie is a little weird and seems to like the way those little rubber spikes feel. :rolleyes:

By the way, our TV is a 46" LCD and I think my big heffer cats could definitely knock it over if they tried.

Here's a picture of the carpet runner. I don't think you can see the cord going across the base and around the top of the stand.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/jazzcat99/IMG_1264.jpg

slleipnir
08-21-2007, 09:16 PM
That's a good idea...although I wonder about the carpet thingie cause mind have to jump to get up and might they get a spook and jump again when they land on it?? It's mostly only Butter who ever gets up there..he's always into stuff...I'll definetly get something to hold it down

wombat2u2004
08-21-2007, 11:11 PM
I mounted mine on the wall. I was worried about Bear jumping against it, so it's mounted quite high.
Wom

slleipnir
08-22-2007, 07:50 AM
I also thought of that...it's hard to tell from the pictures, but my walls are slanted from the top half up so it's difficult to do that for me

king2005
08-22-2007, 09:51 AM
Buy little z shaped pieces of metal & screw them around the base of your stand.. that way no matter what hits the tv it cannot fall off.. also means you can keep it close to the edge so the cats cannot get close to the screen :)

You cannot find the proper sized z shape, but a straight one, as it'll work the same, just wont look as clean looking.

slleipnir
08-22-2007, 05:37 PM
Buy little z shaped pieces of metal & screw them around the base of your stand.. that way no matter what hits the tv it cannot fall off.. also means you can keep it close to the edge so the cats cannot get close to the screen :)

You cannot find the proper sized z shape, but a straight one, as it'll work the same, just wont look as clean looking.

I'm not really sure what you mean...do you have a picture of it?

slleipnir
08-23-2007, 08:02 PM
bump