PDA

View Full Version : Am I truly that strange???

critter crazy
08-21-2007, 09:08 AM
Last NIght, around 10 pm I had to run to the store, I go out in the driveway, and the first thing I always do before getting into a Dark car, Is look into the Back seat!! It is one of my biggest fears!! i am so scared that there is someone hiding back there!! My problem last night was, that the interior lights in my car didnt work!! I was Terrified!!! I kept looking behind me the whole way to the store!!! Hubby says I am a freak, Am I??? Am I the only one who does this????:o

KittyGurl
08-21-2007, 09:14 AM
You are not a freak! Believe me, your not the only person who does that.

Whenever I walk up the stairs at night, I look into every room and make sure no one's in there. I also think someone got through a window or broke in the house and they are hiding upstairs.

It's just a fear. Your not a freak. I bet there are lots of other people on PT do stuff like that.

Alysser
08-21-2007, 09:18 AM
No, critter_crazy, you're definitely not strange for feeling this way. Kittygurl, I do that too! I also always turn on the hall light before going upstairs. I NEVER take a shower when I'm home alone, etc. It's a fear for me to and I doubt I'll ever get over it. Before I go to bed, I also have to check if my window is LOCKED tight. :o

Better safe then sorry, right?

wombat2u2004
08-21-2007, 09:24 AM
Nope, you're not strange CC.
There are so many creeps around these days, I feel that what you do makes a lot of sense.
Wom

kuhio98
08-21-2007, 09:26 AM
Nope. You're not a freak. But, you're braver than I. I would never, ever, ever unless someone was bleeding, burning or dying go to the store at 10 at night. Too many crazies and idiots out in our area after dark.

critter crazy
08-21-2007, 10:34 AM
Phewwww.....thank god I am not alone!!! I am a freak when it comes to being alone, and the Dark!! i am terrified of the Dark, I am almost 30 yrs old, and I am still petrified of being alone in the dark! I dont know if it stems from Growing up in a bad area of L.A. or what. I too constantly check rooms, lock doors windows, as well as leave lights on. I dont like taking showers while home alone either, i always hear things when I do, and just get freaked out!!

I have no Idea how the heck I managed 11 yrs in The Military!!! Must of been that M-16 by my side, that made me feel safe!!;)

wombat2u2004
08-21-2007, 10:39 AM
Hey, you're not alone mate....believe me.
I have two Jap swords, one under my bed, and one in my office, and I know exactly how to use them.
Ya can't be too safe these days.
Wom

Karen
08-21-2007, 10:46 AM
Maybe you should invest in a flashlight that fits on your keychain for your car keys. One sweep of the back seat with that, and you'd feel much better.

critter crazy
08-21-2007, 10:48 AM
Maybe you should invest in a flashlight that fits on your keychain for your car keys. One sweep of the back seat with that, and you'd feel much better.You know Karen, I used to have one and my darn hubby borrowed it once to use while working on his truck, and I have never seen it again!! I guess i will have to get another one!!:rolleyes:

I_luv_rusty
08-21-2007, 11:22 AM
Your not the only one, when i'm older and can drive if I ever go out at night i'll probably do that too. Also sometimes at night when the stairway to upstairs is dark I run up the stairs so fast since it right near the livingroom which is pitch black. Also I check my closet, and have to have the doors closed or I get freaked out. :o I know that if I ever get a apartment for awhile when I move out that i'll have to have a roommate living there with me, or i'll get freaked all the time at night.

Cataholic
08-21-2007, 02:56 PM
It is a little strange that you would go to the store at ten o'clock at night. :D

KittyGurl
08-21-2007, 02:57 PM
I will never leave the house after nine. It just doens't feel safe out at night, but for some reason I'll stay outside until 10:30 with my friends on my block.

critter crazy
08-21-2007, 03:00 PM
It is a little strange that you would go to the store at ten o'clock at night. :DI actually went to the Convenience store just down the road, I was out of Smokes!:D But I do have a tendancy to go shopping at night, as I can avoid the big crowds, especially if I go to Wal-Mart!:D

Cataholic
08-21-2007, 03:31 PM
I will never leave the house after nine. It just doens't feel safe out at night, but for some reason I'll stay outside until 10:30 with my friends on my block.

Uh, what? You never leave the house after nine, but you stay outside until 10:30 with your friends on your block?

chocolatepuppy
08-21-2007, 04:02 PM
I'd have to have a real good reason to go out at 10:00 at night,even in my nice little town. No worries about my back seat, I drive a truck. :D My hubbys truck has an extended cab though and I do indeed look in the back before I get in, even if it was locked in our driveway. I've seen too many movies. ;)

Ginger's Mom
08-21-2007, 04:20 PM
Not strange at all. As a matter of fact, my car has a "safety feature" in that all I have to do is pull up on the door handle (even before I unlock the car) and the interior light goes on. So you see, even the car manufacturing companies have realized the need for this feature (at least that is how it was explained to me). But, generally speaking I do not go to the store alone at night.

Freedom
08-21-2007, 05:35 PM
An unfortunate fact for our times; you HAVE to do this. You always have to be aware of your surroundings and who is where doing what around you.

No, I wouldn't be going out at 10 PM either.

My Honda is a 1998; when I click the key ring to unlock the doors, the light comes on. Nice feature.

Now get that bulb replaced!

sirrahved
08-21-2007, 07:08 PM
That's not strange at all! I mean, with people people like Wom running around with swords :D

No, I do the same thing. Also, if we come back from a trip I have to make sure the shower curtain is open before I go to the bathroom.

Alysser
08-21-2007, 07:18 PM
I actually have a curfew of 9 if I want to stay out that long, which I never do. If I am at a movie, or out with an adult that will be the only exception. I am not allowed to close my doors at night(because if there is a fire) but my parents door is always open. I also sleep with a baseball bat under my bed. :o

joycenalex
08-21-2007, 07:39 PM
karen's right get a keychain flashlight...and an M-16 does move the odds nicely in your favor and.....QUIT SMOKING!!!!!

Lady's Human
08-21-2007, 07:41 PM
, especially if I go to Wal-Mart!

I was going to ask where in this area you were going to go shopping that late, because the only places I know of open that late are Wal-Mart and the Price Chopper in JC, and NO ONE who doesn't need to goes there at 10 PM.

critter crazy
08-21-2007, 08:03 PM
karen's right get a keychain flashlight...and an M-16 does move the odds nicely in your favor and.....QUIT SMOKING!!!!!
Phhhtttt...no body likes a Quitter!!!:D

critter crazy
08-21-2007, 08:04 PM
I was going to ask where in this area you were going to go shopping that late, because the only places I know of open that late are Wal-Mart and the Price Chopper in JC, and NO ONE who doesn't need to goes there at 10 PM.

He he he he he he he he!! No Jc for me at 10 pm!! just the Convienience store and Wal-Mart:)

cali
08-21-2007, 08:29 PM
I am paranoid about doors, and I will NOT open a door without looking through a window AND the peep hole, and if I cant see anything then, I line up all the dogs in a stay by the door, with the exeption of one dog, and I will hide behind the door as I open it, sending out the one dog to check things out. lol, but only Certain dogs, Usually Misty, as I know I can trust her, but sometimes Happy, athough she usually wont get upset with with anyone unless they try to assult me or someone she knows.

mike001
08-21-2007, 08:36 PM
Nope, you aren't weird, I do it even in the daytime. Tell hubby you're being cautious cause you know how lost he would be without you, he he.
Loved all those responses....especially the one who said to quit smoking, that was so funny.

DJFyrewolf36
08-21-2007, 08:57 PM
After 10 pm...strange? I must be one big wierdo lol. Working nights, it isnt unusual for me to hit Wal-Mart at 3 am on my days off. Sure there may be some whackos out there, but nothing stranger than what I see on the road DURING my shifts :eek:

I keep a flashlight handy on my keys, and even though we have a gated apartment complex I check my car before I get in it. There have been a couple of times my neighbors have found strange people IN thier cars at night.

According to the police here, you're just as likely to be attacked by some jerk during the day as at night. If someone wants it bad enough, it doesn't matter if people can see or not. :rolleyes: I guess its part of living in a place where almost everything is open 24 hours.

Marigold2
08-21-2007, 10:10 PM
I go out all the time at night to movies, dinner, going to see friends. I have friends that work in grocery stores, malls, and they leave at midnight, one or two o'clock if they stock. That's life in the grown up world. You have to be able to function at any time of night or day. Have to work, go to school at night, shop. Life doesn't stop when the sun goes down.
A lot of nurses work 3 pm till 11 pm and do there grocery shopping late.

Lady's Human
08-21-2007, 10:21 PM
That's life in the grown up world.

Would it be at all possible for you to be any more condescending?

K9soul
08-21-2007, 10:42 PM
I've actually always really enjoyed the night time. It's quieter, more peaceful, less crowded. I think for me, driving in rush hour traffic causes me more anxiety than heading to the store at 9 or 10 at night :p. I've done that before simply because I find it more relaxing, no crowds and struggling to get around, no long lines and almost getting hit by people zooming through the parking lot. I imagine it partly depends on where you are at though. A big city probably wouldn't be as calm in the evening, and I've never lived in a particularly crime-ridden area.

I have to admit though I avoid watching horror flicks, psycho thrillers and even reading or listening to a lot of grim and horrific news stories. I think it'd fill my subconscious mind with those thoughts and make it scarier to be on my own.

critter crazy
08-21-2007, 10:44 PM
I've actually always really enjoyed the night time. It's quieter, more peaceful, less crowded. I think for me, driving in rush hour traffic causes me more anxiety than heading to the store at 9 or 10 at night :p. I've done that before simply because I find it more relaxing, no crowds and struggling to get around, no long lines and almost getting hit by people zooming through the parking lot. I imagine it partly depends on where you are at though. A big city probably wouldn't be as calm in the evening, and I've never lived in a particularly crime-ridden area.

I have to admit though I avoid watching horror flicks, psycho thrillers and even reading or listening to a lot of grim and horrific news stories. I think it'd fill my subconscious mind with those thoughts and make it scarier to be on my own.

We definitely dont live in a crime ridden area, sure there are some spots tat I wouldnt go, but we live in the country. But I still get freaked out!

I think Maybe that is the basis of my issues!! I LOVE scary movies!!! :D The goreier(SP?) the better!!!!

Lady's Human
08-21-2007, 10:46 PM
There are one or two bad streets in the area, (Binghamton) but other than the imported druggies from NYC and the politicians it's really not too bad. The local radio show calls our county legislature the gang of 19. :p

critter crazy
08-21-2007, 10:52 PM
There are one or two bad streets in the area, (Binghamton) but other than the imported druggies from NYC and the politicians it's really not too bad. The local radio show calls our county legislature the gang of 19. :p

He he he he!! we do get the occasional looney tho!! Like Ralph Bucky Phillips who ran around our area, killing cops ect.... But it is definitely safer than lots of areas!! :)

kitten645
08-22-2007, 12:07 AM
Not strange at all. But I guess I'm a city girl and not afraid of nothing. If you think something bad it will manifest. I'm of the "oh well we gots to go sometime" genre. I KNOW my gardian angel has protected me on moret than one occasion . The stuff I did as a youngster.
There's a new car thing now that if you beep your car it can tell if there's a heartbeat in the car. Yipes and good going .

KittyGurl
08-22-2007, 08:42 AM
Uh, what? You never leave the house after nine, but you stay outside until 10:30 with your friends on your block?

I mean I will never leave my block after nine.

JuniorxMyxLove
08-22-2007, 09:57 AM
you're not strange at all. If there's a shower in the bathroom I'm using, I HAVE to open the curtains and check to make sure no ones there. even if I was just in there. I just can't help myself.

Alysser
08-22-2007, 10:24 AM
you're not strange at all. If there's a shower in the bathroom I'm using, I HAVE to open the curtains and check to make sure no ones there. even if I was just in there. I just can't help myself.

Oh my gosh, I do that too! LOL, glad I am not the only one. My Dad's office is right next to the bathroom but I insist on doing this anyway. My routine:

1) turn the lights on
2) KEEP the door open
3) Open the shower curtain and check it from top to bottom.

LOL, then I can go. :D

JuniorxMyxLove
08-22-2007, 10:37 AM
Oh my gosh, I do that too! LOL, glad I am not the only one. My Dad's office is right next to the bathroom but I insist on doing this anyway. My routine:

1) turn the lights on
2) KEEP the door open
3) Open the shower curtain and check it from top to bottom.

LOL, then I can go. :D
I just peek around the corner. when i was younger, i would do it all sneaky, so that if there was someone in there, they wouldn'tknowi was coming lmfao.

haha my bedroom andmy parents bedroom and the kitchen are RIGHT there outside the bathroom, but I just can't help myself. even at friends houses. i look behind then i put the curtain back exactly how it was so they never know lol

Alysser
08-22-2007, 10:40 AM
I just peek around the corner. when i was younger, i would do it all sneaky, so that if there was someone in there, they wouldn'tknowi was coming lmfao.

haha my bedroom andmy parents bedroom and the kitchen are RIGHT there outside the bathroom, but I just can't help myself. even at friends houses. i look behind then i put the curtain back exactly how it was so they never know lol

LOL, I don't care how mad my friends will get I do it anyway. On occasions, I'll also check under my bed. :rolleyes: Which is quite stupid since, I don't think Sassy can even fit under there.

Lmao, I did the same thing when I was younger to. It's just a habit I've always had.

Cataholic
08-22-2007, 11:33 AM
I am not allowed to close my doors at night(because if there is a fire) but my parents door is always open. I also sleep with a baseball bat under my bed. :o

I have always heard that it is safer to sleep with your bedroom door CLOSED when considering the possibilities of a fire, smoke inhalation being the killer, not the fire, and a closed door prevents the smoke from coming in. However, I will let Phred weigh in here, as our resident hot stuff expert.

And, do you think you are going to wake up and get the bat out from under your bed by the time you realize you are being attacked? :confused:

I go out all the time at night to movies, dinner, going to see friends. I have friends that work in grocery stores, malls, and they leave at midnight, one or two o'clock if they stock. That's life in the grown up world. You have to be able to function at any time of night or day. Have to work, go to school at night, shop. Life doesn't stop when the sun goes down.

I am rarely out after 830 pm, and consider myself quite grown up. I don't have to function at any time day or night. Not at all. My life might not stop when the sun goes down, but it sure as heck slows waaaaaaaaay down. :D

pitc9
08-22-2007, 11:34 AM
I don't think your strange at all for checking your back seat OR for going out so late! (I would too for smokes!)

My hubby lived in Las Vegas for 6 months a few years back and it took me quite a while to get used to being home alone at night. (Yes... even with Buddy & Sierra home with me! :o I'm such a baby!)
There were times that I would turn off all the lights in the house (so the boogie man outside couldn't see in :o ) and put Buddy on a leash and walk him around room to room. Then open the back door and have him check out the back yard too.
No body screws around near my house when Buddy's on guard!

Even with them in the house, I still find myself pulling the shower curtain back to take a peek once in a while.

caseysmom
08-22-2007, 11:35 AM
I have always heard that it is safer to sleep with your bedroom door CLOSED when considering the possibilities of a fire, smoke inhalation being the killer, not the fire, and a closed door prevents the smoke from coming in. However, I will let Phred weigh in here, as our resident hot stuff expert.

And, do you think you are going to wake up and get the bat out from under your bed by the time you realize you are being attacked? :confused:

I am rarely out after 830 pm, and consider myself quite grown up. I don't have to function at any time day or night. Not at all. My life might not stop when the sun goes down, but it sure as heck slows waaaaaaaaay down. :D

Just wait till Jonah is a teen and you have to drive him home from his girlfriends house at all hours :D

Cataholic
08-22-2007, 11:54 AM
Just wait till Jonah is a teen and you have to drive him home from his girlfriends house at all hours :D

Uh....who ever said Jonah will date? :p :D

dogzr#1
08-22-2007, 12:19 PM
In the world we're living in right now, being so filled with uncertainty, you are not strange to check the back of your car. It has happened before; that someone waits in the back of one's car until they get in.

I am much more a night person than a 'day person'. Of course I am usually out with my brother or someone else, but even when I'm alone I don't feel scared. I stay up until 3 or 4 in the morning while everyone else is asleep. I think it's more fun to go out at night rather than during the day, but that's just me. Everyone in my direct family, aside from my parents, are night people. One time at around 1am, my brother went to Whataburger (a fast food restaurant's here) and got us something to eat. xD

Pembroke_Corgi
08-22-2007, 12:25 PM
I don't check my car at night but sometimes if I'm home alone at night and the dogs start barking at something outside (which I can't see since it's dark), I run to the front door and lock it. Most likely they are only barking at another dog that I can't hear, but it still creeps me out a bit at night.

I'm not a big night person, but my husband is which comes in handy if I want something- I can just send him to the store! :D

caseysmom
08-22-2007, 12:29 PM
Uh....who ever said Jonah will date? :p :D

I know its hard to imagine but someday you will not be the woman he wants to get close to :D

cmayer31
08-22-2007, 07:49 PM
I actually check the back seat of my truck at night to make sure nobody is back there. I do most of my grocery shopping after 9pm and I'm often out at weird hours. However, if I don't know the area I won't unlock my truck until I'm near it and I always flash the lights with the remote to make sure I can see inside. Can't be too careful I guess. :)

inlovewithanimals
08-22-2007, 08:22 PM
I always have to check every room on my way to bed.
So no your not weird

Justin,