PDA

View Full Version : May be getting some fish

Pawsitive Thinking
08-21-2007, 04:24 AM
When Wayne and Megan go home this week the kitchen is going to seem very empty :(

Looking to get some fish so any tips and recommendations would be much appreciated

IRescue452
08-21-2007, 05:20 AM
What size tank do you want? Filter or no?

Pawsitive Thinking
08-21-2007, 08:36 AM
What size tank do you want? Filter or no?

Medium tank with filter and want cold water fish

IRescue452
08-21-2007, 04:03 PM
Here's some standard sizes if you don't know what tank consists of how many gallons.
http://www.anapsid.org/resources/tanksize.html

A lot of species sold in pet store don't need a heater. Only really sensitive species like discus, angels, neons need heaters.

Next, read up on how to cycle an aquarium before you get fish. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=21

As for fish, I suggest you stick to fish that stay under 4" as adults, unless you are willing to upgrade to a much bigger tank in the future. Don't buy something because its small and cute as a baby and then neglect its needs as an adult. The stocking guidelines you hear people talk about (1" per gallon) are meant for the adult size of tropicals. Coldwater fish need even more room to grow.

Hellow
08-21-2007, 05:40 PM
Here's some standard sizes if you don't know what tank consists of how many gallons.
http://www.anapsid.org/resources/tanksize.html

A lot of species sold in pet store don't need a heater. Only really sensitive species like discus, angels, neons need heaters.

Next, read up on how to cycle an aquarium before you get fish. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=21

As for fish, I suggest you stick to fish that stay under 4" as adults, unless you are willing to upgrade to a much bigger tank in the future. Don't buy something because its small and cute as a baby and then neglect its needs as an adult. The stocking guidelines you hear people talk about (1" per gallon) are meant for the adult size of tropicals. Coldwater fish need even more room to grow.

Thats what i was going to say!

KittyGurl
08-22-2007, 10:20 AM
You need a filter to keep the tank clean and maybe snails too. When you replace the water use Spring water (NOT TAP WATER!) because the chemicals in the tap water may kill the fish.

Congrats on the new addition! Can't wait to see the fish.

Kalei
08-22-2007, 11:04 AM
You know what would look really nice? :D A 10 gallon tank with lots of plants and some pertiful female bettas :) Just my thoughts lol. But for female bettas you might want a small heater.

Zippy
08-22-2007, 12:53 PM
When you replace the water use Spring water (NOT TAP WATER!) because the chemicals in the tap water may kill the fish

You can use Tap Water but it has to be conditioned with tap water cleaner to get rid of the chlorine,chloramines,heavy metals,ect..
I have never used spring water because I heard it isn't good to use.They have alot of conditioners to choose form.

Zippy
08-22-2007, 01:00 PM
You know what would look really nice? :D A 10 gallon tank with lots of plants and some pertiful female bettas :) Just my thoughts lol. But for female bettas you might want a small heater.

If you do female bettas get 6 for a 10 gallon and lots of plants and hideouts.Bettas are very aggressvie fish even the females.Sometimes keeping female bettas together works and sometimes it doesn't.You might end up with all girls getting along or a bloodbath.

KittyGurl
08-22-2007, 01:35 PM
You can use Tap Water but it has to be conditioned with tap water cleaner to get rid of the chlorine,chloramines,heavy metals,ect..
I have never used spring water because I heard it isn't good to use.They have alot of conditioners to choose form.

Oh ok. Thanks for telling me. I always used spring water for my fish and my frogs.

koxka
08-22-2007, 02:09 PM
Nobody use destilled water? :confused:

IRescue452
08-22-2007, 03:17 PM
Tap water for me and my fish. Fish need the minerals not found in distilled water. Humans need them too. Distilled water is just another way we're bringing our species down.