PDA

View Full Version : Momma Kitties!

critter crazy
08-20-2007, 10:05 PM
How does one put weight on a nursing cat?? Gosh, it has only been a week since Bagheera has been here, but I can still feel all of her bones, especially her spine. I am sure it has to do with having to put out so much for the babies, but goodness it just breaks my heart to see her like this. She is on Wellness kitten formula wet and dry. She always has food, and probably goes trough one bowl of dry food, and about 4-5 small cans of wet daily. But it just dosent seem to be doing much! Any tips on how to get her to gain some weight?? or am I fighting a losing battle till the kittens are weaned??? :confused:

Catty1
08-20-2007, 10:39 PM
Ask your vet - there is a post-op food called Hills AD - and it is LOADED with everything. Also - ask if he would recommend a calcium supplement. (Perhaps some Whiskas cat milk would help, as cats tolerate it better.)

Some tips I found on Google:

Nursing

Pregnant dogs and cats lose weight after giving birth. However, their nutritional needs increase dramatically -- energy needs can be 2 to 3 times their normal adult maintenance requirement, depending on litter size -- in order to produce the milk supply that will support the growth and nourishment of the offspring. Adequate water intake is also important for sufficient milk volume.

To ensure the nursing dog or cat is receiving enough nutrition

* feed a nutrient-dense diet (eg, performance diet, puppy or kitten food)
* without increasing the amount of food offered at a meal, increase the number of meals throughout the day
* Free-choice feed -- offer unlimited access to dry food throughout the day

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=1&cat=1388&articleid=906 Good and longish article - with some cute pics of nursing moms!

http://www.peteducation.com/category_summary.cfm?cls=1&cat=1388 Home page for the above link...I put it here because of ANOTHER cute picture! :)

Hopefully your vet will have some ideas - and a phone call is cheap!

critter crazy
08-20-2007, 10:55 PM
Well since i have to take Mocha to the vets tomarrow, i will ask him while I am there. :)

catmandu
08-21-2007, 03:41 PM
Of the top of my head I would say Kitten Food as that has extra calories and nutrition. Or some Chicken Of The Sea or Star Kist Tuna or a little Deli Chicken. Thats what I am going to use to put some weight back on Precious alonfg with Eukanuba Canned Vet Formula if she likes it.
If not theres always that Secret Weapon
FANCY FEAST!!!!!!!

critter crazy
08-21-2007, 03:58 PM
Well the vet supported my suspicions. Bagheera wont realy be able to gain any weight till the kittens are weaned. But he did suggest along with The Wellness, I could also try Innova, and Purina pro plan kitten food. I have to say, that Innova Evo wet food is awsome!!! It smells and looks just like real food!! Man it was making me hungry!! And Bagheera ate it right up, she also just loves the Pro plan dry. I like it cause it is smaller bits, and easier for her to eat. and will be great for when the kittens start eating dry food!:D

jenluckenbach
08-21-2007, 05:08 PM
Well, yourvet beat me to it, but mom won't gain weight until she is no longer nursing. I have seen it time and time again. But as long as she is getting enough calories/nutrition, nursing will go easier for her and as soon as babies are weaned she should be able to up her weight.