PDA

View Full Version : Avocado?

M&M's Mommy
08-20-2007, 06:20 PM
How do you know when an avocado is ready to be picked from the tree??

RICHARD
08-20-2007, 06:27 PM
Take your finger and gently press on the side opposite the stem-if it's soft, rock on!

Or you can wait until they fall off. That's the easy way, but it bruises the fruit....You can put a net around the tree, that's too much work....

If you pick them while they are hard, place them in a paper sack in a cool, dark place and in a few days they'll be ready.

mike001
08-20-2007, 06:28 PM
Where are you living that you can pick avocados from a tree? I love them and we pay an arm and a leg for them....I should move where they grow...lol

M&M's Mommy
08-20-2007, 06:56 PM
Where are you living that you can pick avocados from a tree? I love them and we pay an arm and a leg for them....I should move where they grow...lol

I live in California, and have a very fruity avocado tree in the backyard. I lost count of the fruits when I hit 200!!

Freedom
08-20-2007, 07:06 PM
OKAY, avocado party at the M&M's house, pronto! No need to bring any avocados, she has plenty for ALL of us! YUM!

M&M's Mommy
08-20-2007, 07:28 PM
OKAY, avocado party at the M&M's house, pronto! No need to bring any avocados, she has plenty for ALL of us! YUM!

:)

In a few weeks I'll have lots of avocados. What else can I do with them beside making avocado salad & the infamous guacamole?

joycenalex
08-20-2007, 08:09 PM
you can send them to me. i love them, and at the store around the corner, they're about $1.50 each

jackie
08-21-2007, 04:23 AM
I love avocados! I have three in the fridge right now!

Besides guacamole, I chuck them in all sandwiches (good substitute for mayo), all salads, or just eat them with lemon and salt.

So good!

Barbara
08-21-2007, 06:44 AM
You can use them as a substitute for ham in Eggs Benedict- more vegetarian but not less fat- avocados have a lot of it, they are the fattest of all veggies, that's what makes them so yummy :D

You can put them in halves and fill them, with shrimp e.g.
You can slice them as long as they are not too soft ( a day or two earlier as the optimum guacamole date) and serve them as a starter with a vinaigrette to which you added small diced tomatoes.
You can dice them (also as long as they are not too soft) and add them to salads.

What you can't do as far as I know: freeze them. So you better go to your local market and sell 150 ;)

Freedom
08-21-2007, 08:14 AM
If you are adventurous, you an google avocado recipe and look at all the options.

Avocado pizza?

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~mjw/recipes/vegetables/avocado-coll.html

This is just one link; there were plenty!

pitc9
08-21-2007, 08:26 AM

I'll bring the chips for the guacamole... oh i SWEAR I could live on that stuff!! :D

mike001
08-21-2007, 08:53 PM
I'm in the process of booking a flight to CA. LUCKY you---200 avocados,oh my, I would be in heaven out there. And they're even supposed to be one of the healthiest things you can eat. I went out and bought a few today, you made me too hungry, he he.

Freedom
08-22-2007, 08:50 AM
I'm in the process of booking a flight to CA. LUCKY you---200 avocados,oh my, I would be in heaven out there. And they're even supposed to be one of the healthiest things you can eat. I went out and bought a few today, you made me too hungry, he he.

Careful there, they are high in fat. :rolleyes: