PDA

View Full Version : Cat Hair and hard wood floors....

Trinityagain
08-20-2007, 08:28 AM
We are going to be getting hardwood floors in our house in a few weeks. YAHOO!!!! Finally getting rid of the pea (and in spots "pee") green 60s era carpeting in the living room and dining room. Does anyone have hard wood floors and if so what is the best method for sweeping up the cat hair. Since we have 6 furrkids I know it is going to be a constant task so I want to try to be ready before the floors are installed....thanks bunches!

kittycats_delight
08-20-2007, 08:41 AM
I don't have hardwood floors but we do have marble floors. Same issue here. I found the best thing was to use something similar to the swiffer with the wet clothes. It does more like a damp mop and pics up the cat hair quite well. We have 5 cats and a dawg so I feel your pain.

catlover4ever
08-20-2007, 10:38 AM
I have eight furballs and hardwood or ceramic tile through the house and I use several things

1. vacuum set to hard wood floor

2. swiffer to get up some more fur

and lastly

3. it's a larger version of a lint roller, made especially for floors.

orangemm
08-20-2007, 10:50 AM
We had hardwood floors in our old house (I miss them!) and I used a regular old-fashioned dust mop sprayed with Endust. Worked like a charm.

Am campaigning for wood floors to replace the carpet (I get sick of vacuuming).

jazzcat
08-20-2007, 10:50 AM
We had hardwood installed three years ago and I used a swiffer and regular broom for a while then finally bought a Dyson vacuum. The hardfloor attachment does great for sucking up the cat hair and little pieces of litter and small things. For the few places I can't reach with the Dyson I use my swiffer.

I love my hardwood but I sure am sickened by all the scratches the cat claws are making. :( Not much I can do about it though. We considered putting in laminate instead but we just loved the look of the hardwood more.

Freedom
08-20-2007, 12:22 PM
You mean I am supposed to pick up all those dust bunnies of cat hair? ;)

With 9 cats, no way I can keep up! I don't even try. I vacuum on routine and that's that.

Haven't had any problems with claw marks. Maybe it's the type of wood? The original house has the old oak floors. The new wing, when we bought 4 years ago we put in the new oak; not the laminate. We put in Bruce from Home Depot, if that helps. I do clip nails weekly.

Medusa
08-20-2007, 04:52 PM
I have hardwood floors in every room exept two and I Swiffer every day, then Swiffer and vacuum once a week and mop if necessary. It's always necessary in the kitchen due to spills, etc. but I haven't had any problem or complaints. It's so much more convenient to have hardwood floors rather than carpet and I can't wait til I can get the other two rooms done. I will say, this, though: I vacuum my carpets and furniture every day and that really keeps the hardwood floors from gathering dust bunnies.

catmandu
08-20-2007, 04:59 PM
I Find The Swiffer Is A God Send And The Wet Is Great For Removing Traces Where Someones Dinner Did Not Agree With Them.
And A Shop Vac Heavy Duty Does The Rest!!

Catsnclay
08-20-2007, 07:46 PM
Yup, Swiffer is the best, along with the floors!

We now have ceramic tile throughout the house now and it is the best thing we ever did. Not only is it 'cleaner' but those dust bunnies, seem to group together and you can just walk around and pick them up! They no longer hide in the carpet!! :rolleyes:

After a few days, you too will realize that hardwood floors are the best thing with kitties!

pkohler01
08-21-2007, 10:39 AM
Roomba robotic vacuum!

critter crazy
08-21-2007, 11:02 AM
I have Hardwood throughut the house, and tile in the one bathroom. I used to used a Swiffer, till i found out it scratched the floors. so I went and bought a Rainbow Vaccum. Which works great for Hardwood,a nd tile. It has a huge ater filled tank, so when everything gets sucked up, it goes into the water filled tank. nO dust or anything. I love it! When I am feeling lazy, i just use a regular broom, but they just dont pick up everything like a vaccum! :)

RICHARD
08-21-2007, 04:51 PM
Now for a man's point of view.... :rolleyes:

A spray bottle (the cat loves this...he runs like a mad man!) and I spritz the floor first - that keeps the airborne stuff to a minimum. Then I give it a pass with a damp mop,

A good swabbing every 1.5 weeks....