PDA

View Full Version : What is it like to live with a Persian/Exotic/Himi?

Suki Wingy
08-20-2007, 12:09 AM
Hey guys, I ususally don't venture into kittyland but I've been wanting one more and more. I am allergic to cats but I'm also allergic to my dog and rabbit. I'm on meds that take care of that for me. My parents have been on the verge of getting a cat for almost a year but I know they won't cave in and go to the shelter to actually get one. (If someone handed us a cat though, it'd be different)

Well, it won't be too long until I'm out of the house so I'd like to hear some personal stories about Persians, Exotics, and Himalayans. I'm attracted to that "So ugly he's cute" look of them. :p
Are there any persians, Exotic shorthairs, or himi's on PT?

Freedom
08-20-2007, 07:34 AM
I can share my experiences with having allergies and having cats. I take one Claritin each morning. About 3 times per month, I need to take a Benadryl at night.

I have NO carpetting in my home; all hardwood floors and limoleum. I have no curtains; just valances. See, upholstery and fabric are what hold the cat dander and make the allergy worse.

I give my cats a bath every other month. And at the same time, I change the bed right down to the mattress ( and yes, I DO change the bed more often than that! :D ) Each time I change the bed, I spray the mattress with Lysol and let it air for an hour. I always notice I sleep better that night than the night before, which encourages me that is all makes a difference.

Each time I get a new cat in the house, I have a rather miserable 2 weeks until my body adjusts to that newbie. I just take an extra allergy med, a 4 hour one, about noon time to get me through the day. (I am a homemaker, so I am home all day.)

I don't know enough about the long haired cats to be able to tell you much except that they need regular brushing to help reduce matting. Which means you are in contact with the cat while ruffling up the hair / fur / dander.

I hope this is helpful to you!

Pawla
08-20-2007, 09:43 AM
I had a Himi for sixteen years. He was a great cat! Very docile personality. He loved everyone, and all animals! The only thing I didn't like was the hair. The maintenance of a long haired cat is never ending! I can't tell you the number of times I had to wash poop out of his fur at midnight-NOT FUN! I wouldn't trade my time with him for anything, I just wouldn't have another long haired animal. If you like the flat face check out British Shorthairs. My boyfriend has two and they're great. I will edit this when I get home and post a picture of one so you can see them.

caffeitina
08-20-2007, 10:35 AM
Well...my Luna is part Siamese (is this qualified as an "exotic shorthair"?), even though she looks and acts like she's 100%. She's very social, very opinionated, and very, very vocal!! I can't believe such a loud "meow" comes from such a tiny cat. She's got a very strong personality (I once saw a cartoon that said "I am Siamese if you please, I am Siamese if you don't please...Basically I am Siamese whether you like it or not"...that's Luna). But she can also be verysweet and loving and cuddly and has to be around people all the time--whether to cuddle on their laps or have them admie her from across the room. All in all, she's very good company!

As for the cat allergies, I wouldn't recommend a longhair cat because they tend to shed more than shorthair cats. Or, if your allergies ar really severe, you might want to consider Sphynx cats too (I don't believe shedding is a problem for them).

Or please consider a visit your local Animal Shelter or Animal Rescue for a look at the cats there. There are so many beautiful rescue/shelter kitties that need loving homes that there's really no need to go to a breeder. Both my kitties are rescue cats (one I got at the actual rescue and the other I adopted before she could be sent to one), and they're both the best cats in the world!

Zippy
08-20-2007, 10:50 AM
Cats are wonderful and are my favorite animal.Persians and Himi's have a lot of mainetinse involved having long hair.But there is not cat that is allergy free.I would recommend a mix breed cat or rescue a purebreed. :D I know I am not much help but I just wanted to tell you good luck on finding the right kitty. :D

Catty1
08-20-2007, 10:59 AM
There are a fair number of purebreds that wind up at shelters - so please check them out! Save a life...there's something about rescue kitties that seems to make them even MORE loving! :)

ETA - I have heard that Russian Blues are great for people with allergies...their dander doesn't trigger the reaction. (It's the dander, not the hair, that causes allergies, so a bath every so often would help that.)

Suki Wingy
08-20-2007, 04:59 PM
Thanks guys. :) I'd most likley find the cat on petfinder. I'm a little worried about the long hair so that's why I was interested in the Exotic Shorthair which is the shorthair version of a Persian.
http://www.acfacats.com/images/Tarajoy's%20Jack%20Son.jpg
How funny is this guy?!

Anyway, I do like Siamese, my grandma used to breed them.

catmandu
08-20-2007, 05:07 PM
We Love That Cat. And If You Are Not Into Grooming I Would Take That Happy Looking Persian In A New York Minute!
When I Fostered Ragnar Guftason The Furry Maine Coon, Mr Fluffy Angel And Shakespheare The Work Never Ended.
I Love The Look Of That Cat!!!!

moosmom
08-20-2007, 05:31 PM
I've lived with a Sphynx for the past 7 years and it's a hoot. MooShoo's personality is so different from my other cats. Except for Lexie Joon. She's psycho (another Sphynx) kitten, 6 months.

MooShoo loves going for rides in cars and long walks in his stroller. He's a real people cat who thrives on attention.

Lexie Joon, well what can I say? She's so young and so energetic and very vocal. She absolutely LOVES wrestling with her "unca" Moo.

Life is definitely BUSY with 2 Sphynxes in the Ploss household.

Suki Wingy
08-21-2007, 02:55 AM
Are Sphynxes kind of like rexes personality wise? My dad had a Cornish Rex before I was born and I love hearing stories about Rex. Once the animal control officers came and tried to take him because someone called about the cat with the "funny hair being walked like a dog" :P He had to get his registry papers and a cat breeds book for them to leave him and Rex alone.