PDA

View Full Version : Tornado yesterday!

Sirrahsim
08-19-2007, 03:22 PM
Yesterday we were feeling a bit house bound so we went out towards Best Buy despite the thunderstorms that were passing through. As we got on the highway we got the perfect view of a GIANT wall cloud hanging down from the belly of this storm. As we got closer to our highway exit we were getting closer and closer to this freaky cloud. There weren't any tornado watches or anything so we weren't too concerned but as we got to Best Buy the wall cloud was just starting to pass directly over us. Looking up into the cloud was the scariest thing I have ever seen. The clouds were so dark that they were almost black and we could easily see several areas where the clouds were rotating ominously. I really had no idea what I was looking at but a man walking out of Best Buy was kind enough to point out a couple of funnel clouds to his kids :eek: :eek: I have a feeling that he has lived here for a while though because his only comment was "As long as them there funnel clouds don't start coming down we'll be just fine" :eek: :eek:
We got out of there in a big hurry!!
I found out today that that storm DID produce a tornado ON the base!! Thankfully it was on the opposite side of the flight line from most of the base so as ]far as I know no one was hurt but it was still freaky!!

I did have 2 firsts to check off my list of things I have never seen before though:
A well organized wall cloud
A funnel cloud! :eek:

Hellow
08-19-2007, 03:32 PM
I sure hope no one got hurt! That had to be the scariest thing for you! I have never been in an tornado and i hope i never will! Here is an PDF file form the National Weather Service concerning Tornadoes:

Jessika
08-19-2007, 05:29 PM
Living in "Tornado Alley" we experience this weather all too often, hehe. In fact when the weather starts to get bad and create those "funnel clouds", we go outside and watch. Call us stupid, but I find it fascinating! But for someone not having lived in this area, it can be terrifying. Last spring '06 we experienced the worst patch of tornados I've seen in awhile. Thankfully I wasn't living there at the time (I actually moved down there during one of the storms, though, there was so much hail it looked like the ground was covered in snow!) but it was very scary indeed.

Pam
08-19-2007, 05:46 PM
And if your mom is reading this now her heart has probably just skipped a beat! How about it Debbie? :p Tic, Tock, Tock! :p I guess what we moms don't know won't hurt us. I have never experienced a tornado (thank you God!) but have experienced the warnings and watches and that was scary enough. I am so glad you are all OK!

sumbirdy
08-21-2007, 02:12 PM
Oh, that is scary. I have been in one tornado before when we lived in Texas. I was just a tiny baby then and it tore our house to shreds. (we have pics of it) Mom told me that she went in one of my brothers rooms to get him and realized as she was running down the hallway that she only had his shirt! :eek: (thankfully he was ok though) I've never actually seen a tornado since living in Oklahoma but we have had plenty of warnings and watches. Tornados freak me out. Glad everyone was OK