PDA

View Full Version : Who has/or knows about Gourami?

chocolatepuppy
08-19-2007, 02:02 PM
Ok, so I saw a few today in Wallyworld. I am in love! :o When I google all I get is fish forums, that I don't feel like reading through to get info.
I'm wondering how big of a tank they need? It said on the tank you should have three together and that they get 2.5 inches long. I noticed when I googled there is a drawf Gourami also. Anyone? Have some? Know anything about them? :)

Genny
08-19-2007, 02:44 PM
I use to have some Gold Garaumis. (sp?)
They get kinda large. I only had 2, a male and a female. The male was mean to the female and also chased my other fish around so I had to separate them. The female was a real sweetheart and I really enjoyed her. If I were gonna get some more I'd probably get a few females instead of getting any males :rolleyes: but that's just me!

I think they could probably do well with some angel fish. I don't know what other kind of fish you have, but if you have fish like mollies, guppies (little fish like that--then they might be mean to them....

Good Luck, Hope I helped you a little :)

Blue Dragonfly
08-19-2007, 02:57 PM
my brother use to have two paradise males. they were really cute. we did try putting them with other fish like black widows, but they kept killing them.

i think the reason u r only getting forums is because u r spelling it wrong. try searching "gourami". lol.

Genny
08-19-2007, 03:01 PM
i think the reason u r only getting forums is because u r spelling it wrong. try searching "gourami".

I wasn't sure how to (sp) it either LOL but I typed in it the way you said and tons of web-sites about them popped up. :D

chocolatepuppy
08-19-2007, 03:17 PM
Ha ha! Thanks guys! I found good results on google now with the right spelling. :D Still, any advice is welcome. Not sure I'm getting any but am kicking the idea around. ;)

Hellow
08-19-2007, 03:37 PM
Well, i have owned one and it was an female. It was the sweetest thing. I believe that it was an silver dewarf gromai (hped i spelled that right). I also had an angelfish and 2 silver dollar fish and 3 neon tetras AND 2 plecos and 2 catfish and 1 betta. Well, i found out the hard way that your never supposed to put a betta with any of those Gramis or Angelfish because the bettas dont like the little things that hang down from them. Hope this helped!

Zippy
08-19-2007, 04:49 PM
Gourami's are beautiful and that's about all I know but they breath air like bettas and are in the same family.Bettas and Gouramis are said to be a bad mix together.

IRescue452
08-19-2007, 05:25 PM
Gouramis can range from 2' to 2" depending on species. Make sure to get dwarfs. A 10 gallon tank for 3 is good. They are like bettas in that you don't want males together, and you want to be careful about adding community fish. Bottom dwellers would be great with gouramis, like cories or loaches.

chocolatepuppy
08-19-2007, 08:32 PM
I edited the title so I don't look like a dummy. ;)
Thanks for the input everyone. So IRescue, three in a ten gallon, and two females and one male would be good? Do they need a heater? I for sure would want dwarfs.I'll have my ten gallon free by this fall so I'm getting ideas, even though I said "no more fish.":rolleyes:

IRescue452
08-20-2007, 05:01 AM
A heater would be great for the health of the fish, though heaters are not absolutely necessary for 9 out of 10 tropical species.

Blue Dragonfly
08-20-2007, 06:35 AM
paradise males need the same things as bettas, so they are fairly easy to lok after. the only difference is they could use a little more space than most betta tanks. they are cold water fish which makes them even easier to maintain.