PDA

View Full Version : Renovation Diary: Phase 1 is finished, meet the new sunroom!

Russian Blue
08-18-2007, 04:28 PM
People keep asking me what I have been up to lately. My answer....home renovation. Sorry, no time for the internet when you're ripping apart walls and working full-time. I have now survived the first phase of home renovation. Sure, I'm a little tired but I have to get up to speed since there is still phases 2 and 3 to survive! For those who don't know about this house, it's an old fixer upper that Rob and I purchased 5 years ago. We've been slowly renovating it and this was the large project that we have been saving up for.

Here's a photo diary of the past weeks:

The wonderful brown mudroom off the back of the house. Very dreary, ugly and I couldn't see my darn backyard, even if I tried! This is the reason we were dreaming of a sunroom....the total opposite of this brown box!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/syyren/RenoDiary/HouseBack1frame.jpg

Inside my century old house, had very small rooms. Every room, was basically 10x10 and there were walls everywhere you turned. Back in the old days, this was great to keep heat in the rooms, but today it just won't do!

So, along with the sunroom addition we wanted to take down a supporting wall which separated a very small bedroom with the kitchen on the main floor. Here's the kitchen, and again, don't you love the previous owner and their design flair....painted green floors! Now that's a statement! I deserve a medal for putting up with this for the last while. This is from the bedroom looking into the kitchen (notice the power drill on the counter and the McDonald's cup....summary of the my life the past month):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/syyren/RenoDiary/SolariumConstruction010frame.jpg

This is the opposite view, looking from the kitchen at the entrance to that small bedroom:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/syyren/RenoDiary/kitchen4frame.jpg

The view from my kitchen to my backyard (the small door lead into the brown mudroom):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/syyren/RenoDiary/kitchen1frame.jpg

Now, presto chango - let the walls be gone!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/syyren/RenoDiary/SolariumConstruction030frame.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/syyren/RenoDiary/SolariumConstructionII009frame.jpg

Now, let's add a sunroom! Here's the opening, again, looking from the previous bedroom:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/syyren/RenoDiary/SolariumConstructionII005frame.jpg

The opposite view, looking from the kitchen, into the previous bedroom:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/syyren/RenoDiary/SolariumConstructionII003frame.jpg

Standing in the new sunroom, insulation going up:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/syyren/RenoDiary/SolariumConstructionII014frame.jpg

View of the sunroom, drywalled and the radiant heat flooring pipes installed on the floor:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/syyren/RenoDiary/SolariumConstructionII046frame.jpg

continued.......

Russian Blue
08-18-2007, 04:30 PM
Final view, drywall is up and primed, cement floor poured:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/syyren/RenoDiary/SolariumConstructionII066frame.jpg

And a view, when you enter the 'old' kitchen, the fireplace is installed (we'll be building the mantel and surround ourselves:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/syyren/RenoDiary/Fireplaceframe-1.jpg

We are also moving the kitchen to the opposite side (the old bedroom). So here is my 'new' future kitchen. Doesn't the stove look lonely in there? Plus, the radiator was the heaviest thing in the world to move. We had to move it down to the basement and I thought the guys were going to have a heart attack moving that thing. But everyone survived the process.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/syyren/RenoDiary/SolariumConstructionII139frame.jpg

This is the view from the 'new' kitchen, through an old window that was taken out and drywalled. I can actually see my backyard, even from the kitchen!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/syyren/RenoDiary/SolariumConstructionII056frame.jpg

And this is what we did last weekend....start to pull up the flooring. We pulling up the old flooring and found more solid hardwood underneath the icky new flooring the previous owners placed on top. We'll be refinishing this floor ourselves over the next weeks.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/syyren/RenoDiary/SolariumConstructionII118frame.jpg

Phase 2 is installing windows and finishing the flooring. Finally, no more green flooring!!! Plus, in the solarium we have decided to keep the concrete and finish it using a technique called acid stained concrete. Because we have radiant floors under the concrete you want as little as possible on top of them so the heat is better passed to the surface.

If you're not familiar with this technique, go here to see sample photos:

Stained Concrete http://www.scofield.com/concretestain_main.html (http://www.scofield.com/concretestain_main.html)

Part of Phase 2 starts next week since the guys are installing windows and we're having our outside brick refaced and cleaned up at the same time.

Phase 3 is planning/building and installing the kitchen ourselves. We've very lucky since Rob can build all the cabinets and make them at work. That will save us a huge bundle....thank goodness since our wallets have been really hit with this addition! :)

I saw this magazine at the store and the picture on the front cover is exactly the kitchen we'll be making. Even the flooring on that cover pic is the same that our floors will be! Black, dark countertop, antique white cabinets, stainless steel or white appliances and pale wood flooring.
I couldn't believe when I saw the issue and had to buy it.

Kitchen Pic (http://www.styleathome.com/styleathome/client/en/Today/ThisMonth.asp)

After the kitchen, we're hibernating all winter. Next summer, we're building a deck patio off the sunroom and building a garage. Then, we'll probably give up and be sloths for the next couple of years.

The only thing I miss is the fact that Nakita can't enjoy the sunroom. We started planning this when she was still here. She would have loved this room!

lizbud
08-18-2007, 04:43 PM
Wow, your changes of the basic house structure really brings the house
back to life. Awesome. :)

Cinder & Smoke
08-18-2007, 04:50 PM
<wow>

You guys are GOOD!!!

You eating on the Yearly Plan at MickeyD's?

:D

kuhio98
08-18-2007, 05:26 PM
You guys do great work! I love, love, love the concrete floors. Thanks for the link. The emergency vet clinic in town did the same treatment to their floors. They are warm and toast and beautiful and easily cleaned.

krazyaboutkatz
08-18-2007, 05:38 PM
Wow!!! The sunroom looks great.:D I can't wait to see your new kitchen when it's finished.:) Before you know it, you'll probably have a couple of new kitties enjoying the new sunroom.;)

critter crazy
08-18-2007, 05:46 PM
WOW!!! you guys are doind a fabulous job!!! Love the sun room, I have always wanted one of those!!! Gonna be a great kitty room!!

Hubby and I have been renovating our house for the last year, and boy is it tiring! I cannot wait till it is done, and i have my house back! We have completely put it off for the summer, and will pick things back up once the weather is no longer so nice out!:D

Grace
08-18-2007, 05:57 PM
I am impressed!! That sunroom is simply gorgeous - you are really going to enjoy that.

Since you are moving the kitchen to the old bedroom - what will you then do with the old kitchen space? Or will it also be part of the kitchen?

Bengalz
08-18-2007, 06:06 PM
GORGEOUS!!! Phred's right "You guys are GOOD!" You will love the solarium -- as will your future feline furrkids :D We have a southwest facing solarium off our master bedroom and Eve has made it "hers"!! She supervises everything in that room - has to meet with her expectations or -- she moves it!! It's one of her favourite napping spots and she has 180 degree views - the better to spot birds and squirrels and chipmunks and anything else that moves outside :D

Can't wait to see your kitchen finished - you are so gonna love it :D

PS Save some pennies for a vacation ... you're probably going to need it after all this hard work!!

Russian Blue
08-19-2007, 10:00 AM
Thanks for all the comments! :) I can't wait until I actually can paint the walls and put away all the power tools. Up until know, I haven't even placed any pictures up on the walls because I knew they would be coming down so it wasn't worth it. Now I can finally print off some of my photos and get them framed.

It's just so nice to finally have some positive things happen in our lives. We've had a tough few years with financial problems, health issues and then Nakita's death. I'm hoping this is a turning point to some good years ahead.

You eating on the Yearly Plan at MickeyD's?

Unfortunately, we didn't have a stove hooked up for 3 weeks so we did a lot of takeout and microwave meals. I never want to EVER see a hamburger or french fry again. I get sick even thinking about MickeyD's at this point.;)

Save some pennies for a vacation ... you're probably going to need it after all this hard work!!

Ha, all our vacation money went into that sunroom addition. ;) Don't worry, we both have our cottages, so we're fortunate we can still get away.

I can't wait to see your new kitchen when it's finished. Before you know it, you'll probably have a couple of new kitties enjoying the new sunroom.

Oh, I can't wait to have a nice kitchen. Right now the sink is leaking and the previous owners (as you can see from the pics) painted the floor and kitchen counter green! Ick!

And yes, the addition of future felines is just an added bonus. ;) I'm sure they will never leave the sunroom, especially with the heated floors - it's a cats dream!

Hubby and I have been renovating our house for the last year, and boy is it tiring! I cannot wait till it is done, and i have my house back!

I totally know how you feel! But, Rob and I both knew it would be a long renovation project (for us, it's a 7 year project). We're renovating as we go along and when we can afford it. This last month has been crazy though, since there have been so many people in and out of my house I did want my house back to myself. But as they say, no pain no gain.

Since you are moving the kitchen to the old bedroom - what will you then do with the old kitchen space? Or will it also be part of the kitchen?

The old kitchen area will be the dining room. So it works out well, since we still have a functioning sink in the old area until we install the new one. Most people have to go without a working kitchen, but we have two spaces to work with in the meantime.

Killearn Kitties
08-19-2007, 10:40 AM
So nice to finally be seeing some results. It is going to look so good! :) Are you still on schedule with the 7 years? I can't begin to think how long that would take us! About 25 I suspect.

Bengalz
08-19-2007, 12:11 PM
Chin Up Kass :D

All those renovations will be done before you know it! Your thread inspired me to go back through my reno files and look at the "before" pictures ... good therapy :) Sure made me appreciate what we've accomplished. And just to make you feel a little better --- it took 18 years in this house to get the kitchen I want!!! You will overcome, my friend and look back with a great sense of accomplishment :)

By the way, during our kitchen reno, I used a microwave convection oven (that I've had for years) to cook meals in my laundry room (laundry tub was my sink :rolleyes: ). I still have that convection oven and it still works very well! Haven't been able to part with the old friend ;) You are welcome to it - I would be happy to send it to you. Let me know if this is something that could make life a little easier.

Hugs, Betty

Barbara
08-19-2007, 04:39 PM
Wow and wow! It is incredible what you can do!
Here both of us are just stupid in manual work yo we're full of admiration!
But however- don't forget your cottages;)

Hellow
08-19-2007, 05:02 PM
I totally know how you feel! But, Rob and I both knew it would be a long renovation project (for us, it's a 7 year project). We're renovating as we go along and when we can afford it. This last month has been crazy though, since there have been so many people in and out of my house I did want my house back to myself. But as they say, no pain no gain.

Wow, long time!

Edwina's Secretary
08-20-2007, 10:35 AM
I feel your pain. We did extensive renovation on out house in Chicago. While to goes on you think it will never end. But oh! when it is over!

I am so envious of your sunroom. How wonderful. I imagine it with lots of snow on the ground outside...so warm and cozy inside.

Cataholic
08-20-2007, 10:51 AM
Things are looking lovely, that is certain. I am glad to see forward footsteps. ;)

Rachel
08-20-2007, 11:55 AM
Love it, love it, love it! Don't have time for a proper reply, but as certain other members of PT know, this qualifies as a favorite type of thread for me.

mruffruff
08-20-2007, 01:36 PM
And for me.

I remember renovating my kitchen. What a pain! But I'm so glad I did it. I learned so much in the process. Wish I could have done the radiant floors; they have to feel good in the winter.

Love to see your pictures. Feel free to post more anytime. :)

Pam
08-20-2007, 02:21 PM
certain other members of PT know, this qualifies as a favorite type of thread for me.

And I am one of those members! :p (Not surprised to see you replying to this thread at all! ;) ) I enjoy these threads so much too! I am a hopeless HGTV addict and I love to watch the remodels on there as well. I love going through the process with those people, as well as with you, although I don't have to live in the midst of the chaos so maybe that is why it is so enjoyable! :p Congratulations on a well thought out plan and I can just imagine, like Sara, watching the snow fall while sitting out on that lovely sun porch! More pictures as you go will certainly be enjoyed by all! :cool:

pitc9
08-20-2007, 02:47 PM
WOW!!
Great Job!!!

NoahsMommy
08-20-2007, 05:46 PM
Kass,

You guys have done a truly AMAZING job! I remember the pictures you showed me when you first bought the house. WOW! It looks wonderful. That sun room is my favorite...what a great idea to do the radiating floors and then stain the concrete. A lot of people here in CA do that to their hardscapes and it looks lovely! Its going to be so nice. Do you know what color you're leaning to??

And that gorgeous kitchen is so perfect for the 'feel' you've given that glorious house. Its going to be perfect!! I can't wait to see pictures of the next 2 phases!

I too, know that sweet Nakita would have adored that sun room. She'll be there in her spirit. :) (((((hugs))))

I'm so happy for you both! You've dealt with so much negativity and it sooooo nice to see this thread and to see you both HAPPY! :) :) :)

I miss you honey. I hope to keep in touch still.

Love, Kelly :)

XOXOXOXO

Vermontcat
08-23-2007, 04:08 PM
I meant to reply to this thread sooner but I have been too busy.
The renovations look great! I love the sunroom! :)
Last weekend we took down our deck and 3 maple trees in our backyard to get ready to do an addition onto the back of our house including a sunroom.
Our house will be a mess for a while but it will be so nice when the work is done.
I just hope Samantha doesn't get too stressed out, so far she has been ok with it.
Please keep us posted with photos of the next two phases of your renovations. :)

Rachel
08-23-2007, 05:23 PM
It's just going to be so enjoyable. I'm thinking you will live in that sunroom. What direction does it face? The yard makes such a nice view. I can't wait to see more pictures, so do keep this thread alive.

Hellow
08-24-2007, 04:31 PM
*bump*

cyber-sibes
08-24-2007, 05:37 PM
Great job! What a huge difference! I really like the outside of your house, looks like a lot of the very old homes in Illinois. We spent about 3 years rennovating a Craftsman Bungalow there ...there were times I thought we'd NEVER be done, but all worth it in the end! Nothing more satisfying that sitting in the finished project! ;)

Russian Blue
08-25-2007, 04:31 PM
Sorry for the delay in response. I didn't have much computer time during the week. Dealing with electrical contractors for the new kitchen.

I am a hopeless HGTV addict and I love to watch the remodels on there as well. I love going through the process with those people, as well as with you, although I don't have to live in the midst of the chaos so maybe that is why it is so enjoyable! :p

Ha! I think you nailed it when you said you don't have to live in the chaos. When we lived in the condo I was an HGTV addict as well and that's the reason we purchased this house. Thought we could renovate everything in a weekend like they show on TV. ;)

I am glad to see forward footsteps.

Yes Jo, moving forward is nice. Not that I don't stumble a bit though. Even with all my grumbling I am enjoying the process. Because of some life events, it has taken us longer but it's still moving forward and we will finish.

We had new windows installed this week. I never paid any attention to windows before but seeing the old wood windows removed (the one's with the weights in the side of them) and knowing we won't have drafts this winter is a great feeling. You really do appreciate things so much more when you live with older/less efficient items for a while!

I imagine it with lots of snow on the ground outside...so warm and cozy inside.

I can't wait for the fall/winter. It's going to be wonderful to have the fireplace on and watch the leaves change colour and the snow to fall. We have a little apple tree close to the sunroom and we're going to put Christmas lights in it this year for our living Christmas tree. The sunroom windows really frame the tree well. :D

I too, know that sweet Nakita would have adored that sun room. She'll be there in her spirit. (((((hugs))))

I'm so happy for you both! You've dealt with so much negativity and it sooooo nice to see this thread and to see you both HAPPY!

Thanks so much Kelly. I so miss my emerald girl and my heart is still trying to heal. It's a long road without her but I do hope her spirit is close.

So nice to finally be seeing some results.....Are you still on schedule with the 7 years?

As long as no financial disasters hit in the next year, we should be on track. Next summer's projects include building a garage, paving the driveway and creating a little patio off of the sunroom. The only thing left is to redo the bathroom and then we'll be officially finished. So, from start to finish we kept to the plan.

Thanks folks for all your comments. :) I still have a large number of photos to go through from our previous renovation projects. Once I sort through them I'll update this thread for you to take a look. These were minor projects, nothing large scale like this one we're currently doing.

lizbud
08-25-2007, 04:45 PM
It's just going to be so enjoyable. I'm thinking you will live in that sunroom. What direction does it face?

Will you get the morning sun, or evening? Either one would be great.

You guys are an inspiration to many. :)

Felicia's Mom
08-25-2007, 04:53 PM
It is going to be so nice! I hope to see more pictures.

ramanth
08-26-2007, 12:17 AM
Oh wow Kass! What a gorgeous job! I know it's stressful and financially straining but I look forward to the day when Andy and I have a house that we can renovate and make our own. :D