PDA

View Full Version : Luna peed on the rug again! (and a question regarding cranberries)

Kirsten
08-18-2007, 12:20 PM
She did it twice, two days ago, and today, only hours after I put the rug back on the floor after it's been washed. Usually this indicates that her bladder problems are acting up again. Unfortunately, it's a weekend.

I have a question regarding cranberries. I got capsules with cranberry powder from my doc (as I'm having bladder infections myself lately), and they seem to help me well. I wonder if I can give the powder to Luna also. One capsule contains 400mg cranberry juice powder, and as a human, I'm recommended to eat two capsules/day (which makes 800mg per day). How much can I give to a cat?

If anyone has some advice here, it would be very appreciated! :)

Kirsten

Medusa
08-18-2007, 12:24 PM
Oh darn, I really hope Luna isn't getting the bladder infection again. My Yodie, though, has taken a dislike to the rug that I put in my downstairs bath. For some reason, she absolutely does not like that rug. I have another one upstairs that is made of the same material but a different color and she leaves it alone. Go figure. Just thought I'd mention that because sometimes I would take it out of the dryer, lay it down and come back a few minutes later only to find it peed on, the little stinker. So I gave up and got rid of the rug. Problem solved. I sure hope it's something as simple as that for you. We'll keep fingers and paws crossed cuz our furkids like to do this to us on weekends, don't they? ;)

Catty1
08-18-2007, 12:25 PM
My vet said 50g. And to do it for about a month.

I don't know how much of a break to take in between, but it is not to be taken continually.

Also - have you contacted the psychic? [email protected]

Good luck! Hopefully this is just a fluke. She is getting her special food, right? Lily can eat it too.

krazyaboutkatz
08-18-2007, 06:04 PM
Kirsten, I'm sorry to hear this. I sure hope it's not another UTI.:( I was also having a problem with my hallway runner, kitchen rug, and bathroom rugs. Now since I took them all up, I haven't had any more problems. Maybe you should just remove the rug for a while and see if this helps. Good luck.:)

catmandu
08-18-2007, 06:44 PM
Thats frustrating not to say smelly and expensive when our Companions use our homes as thier litter boxes.
Tubster does once in a while but hes getting a lot better and uses the box on the porch. We hope that the cranberries work and Luna does not need a lot of expensive vet tests.

Kirsten
08-19-2007, 01:36 PM
Hmm, 50g are a lot, or it's a different measurement than the one we use here. :confused:

So far, she seems to be okay, so I was wondering if it's something about the rug. She had this thing with the rugs in the hallway, she always peed on them so in the end, I had to put them away for good. But usually she's leaving this one (in the living room) alone, unless there's another episode of UTI. Well, I think I won't put it there for a while. And maybe it's really about time to contact Nancy...

Kirsten

koxka
08-19-2007, 05:17 PM
Hmm, 50g are a lot, or it's a different measurement than the one we use here.

Kirsten, it must be 50 mg. :)

Usually medication dosage goes accordingly to body weight, make it proportional to Luna's weight, until you can talk to someone professional.

Good look.

PS : (800 / your weight) x Luna's wight = 1 dose for Luna

Catty1
08-19-2007, 06:36 PM
Yup, it WAS mg. Sorry about that!

I think taking that rug away might be an interesting idea. It might be 'too familiar' to her, so she pees on it....

jazzcat
08-19-2007, 07:49 PM
I'm sorry to hear Luna is having problems again. I sure hope it isn't serious.

columbine
08-19-2007, 09:03 PM
Kirsten - does Luna get Cosequin mixed in her food? It's usually used as a joint supplement to prevent arthritis, but it also strengthens the lining of the bladder and urethra so that germs and crystals don't do as much damage. And it's just a chicken/fish flavored version of something I myself take, glucosamine/ chondroitin, so it's been pretty extensively studied.

Love, Columbine