PDA

View Full Version : I Need Some Suggestions!

K & L
08-18-2007, 09:09 AM
Everyday, sometimes twice a day, I have to clean up poo poo that does not go in the litter box. Seems one, or possibly more, cats go into the litterbox but hang their bottom over the edge and hit the floor and rim of the litterbox. :eek: We cannot use covered boxes since some of the fear going inside of them. Anyone else have this issue? Any suggestions on how to help them have a better "aim"? It's frustrating since I walk into the house and hit with a major odor! :eek:

Craftlady
08-18-2007, 09:17 AM
A larger box perhaps (I use underbed storage type). I'm not aware of any techinques to make them aim better, sorry.

catmandu
08-18-2007, 09:48 AM
I have the 2 x 3 flat rubbermaid box and with all that space there are some Found Cats who go in the corner of the box and beyond. I find that newspapers under the litter box make for good odor absorption and a quick clean up.
We hope this helps.

K & L
08-18-2007, 10:44 AM
I have the 2 x 3 flat rubbermaid box and with all that space there are some Found Cats who go in the corner of the box and beyond. I find that newspapers under the litter box make for good odor absorption and a quick clean up.
We hope this helps.

DUH...why didn't I think of that! :D I will give that a try. Even if it doesn't absorb the smell at least the clean up will be easier! :)

K & L
08-18-2007, 10:45 AM
A larger box perhaps (I use underbed storage type). I'm not aware of any techinques to make them aim better, sorry.

I wish I could go larger but we use the sift kind of litterboxes since we have so many cats. Plus the fact we put them inside closets and have limited space. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Karen
08-18-2007, 10:56 AM
What about putting the litterbox in a larger tray, with some litter in the bottom of that tray? Any old container would do ... Even making one out of heavy aluminum foil would protect the floor beneath it!

catfamily
08-18-2007, 11:32 AM
My BooBoo did that for 17 years.His whole life.No matter how big the box was.He just liked to squat close to the edge all the time. :rolleyes:

Pawla
08-18-2007, 12:04 PM
I use a rubbermaid storage container with the front cut out. Squeak would pee over the sides, but we seldom have an accident now. It may happen every six months to a year. GOOD LUCK!

Grace
08-18-2007, 12:06 PM
Our Abby is so fastidious that she sits at the very edge of the box - no matter how clean it is. Then she goes. So we get the occasional poop or liquid outside the box. Boxes are in the basement, so it's not a real big deal.

AbbyMom
08-18-2007, 02:41 PM
When I was volunteering, some of the cats in the cages had this problem. For them, they got a type of open litter box with a high end on one side.

Because it helped some of them, I bought two for my cats.

The back end is 10" high and the front end is 7" high. The base is the same size as a traditional pan.

My cats definitely prefer them over their regular sized litter pan, which they now ignore.

For some reason, my cats like to back up to the high back end to do their business. No more accidents.

If you are interested in a picture, let me know.

(Only on pet talk would you find pictures of dirty litter boxes. :D )
x

K & L
08-18-2007, 03:53 PM
:D
When I was volunteering, some of the cats in the cages had this problem. For them, they got a type of open litter box with a high end on one side.

Because it helped some of them, I bought two for my cats.

The back end is 10" high and the front end is 7" high. The base is the same size as a traditional pan.

My cats definitely prefer them over their regular sized litter pan, which they now ignore.

For some reason, my cats like to back up to the high back end to do their business. No more accidents.

If you are interested in a picture, let me know.

(Only on pet talk would you find pictures of dirty litter boxes. :D )

x

I would love to see a picture, dirty or clean!

Grace
08-18-2007, 04:42 PM
Me too!!

AbbyMom
08-18-2007, 04:51 PM
You asked for it! The center blue one came from PETsMART. The pink one (which says Cats Rule on the back) came from Petco.

They seem to like the pink one best, but that may be just due to the location.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pcf9f573d01e27c1ad6d24e25ed7a2ecc/e8149188.jpg

krazyaboutkatz
08-18-2007, 05:20 PM
You asked for it! The center blue one came from PETsMART. The pink one (which says Cats Rule on the back) came from Petco.

They seem to like the pink one best, but that may be just due to the location.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/pcf9f573d01e27c1ad6d24e25ed7a2ecc/e8149188.jpg
Lisa,I also have several of the blue ones. They came with lids but I took them off all of them except for 2. I also bought these (http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444180 8078&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302033737&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023690&bmUID=1187475368999&itemNo=4&In=ALL&N=2033737&Ne=2). Both Storm and Starr like to turn around so their butts are facing the front of the litterbox.:rolleyes: So I also sometimes have pee or poo that would run over the edge. I've been using the puppy training pads under my litterboxes for years to help avoid this problem. They work great. I hope that you'll be able to find a solution quickly. Good luck.:)