PDA

View Full Version : how many kinds of cat food do you have around your house?

arizona
07-29-2002, 12:57 AM
I had to put all the cat food in a bigger cupboard today, it was always some here and some there! I have 2 kinds of kitten food, weight control food, hairball food, dental food, and 2 kinds of regualr cat food. (one that no one eats, I might as well throw it out along with the dental food, and hairball food no one eats those either!) then theres canned food, and of course kitty treats!! yikes! I stick to cat or kitten chow by Purina, but last week I found kitten food called ONE also by Purina, so I got that for the kittens. they seem to like it:)
Emma likes her diet food, but I stopped giving it to her til I know how she is doing healthwise. right now I only give the canned food to Muffin and Louise, I don't want the kittens to have it and Emma is too fat, she really packs on the weight with that! I give it to Louise and Muffin just once or twice a day a teaspoonful.

how many kinds/brands do you have in your house?

Fuzzy317
07-29-2002, 01:01 AM
We free feed dry adult food, but we do give canned food as a treat every so often. We still have some kitten dry and canned food most likely.

arizona
07-29-2002, 01:12 AM
I usually keep bowls of dry around for whenever they want to eat, but now with so many different kinds, I either put the bowls up and then feed them the kind the each need, or alot of the time there are bowls of each, its just whatever they happen to eat at the time, I usually try to put the kittens in front of their food bowls. works pretty good most the time.

also- the kittens are still in the bathroom overnight, after 3 weeks! all the other cats were out after between 10 days and 2 weeks, except Cookie, she only stayed in there 1 night, the 2nd night she meowed til I let her out! there have been a couple nights (not in a row) that I have let the kittens stay out, loose in the house overnight, and it worked ok but last night would have been the third time, and I sleep on the couch to listen for trouble...last night there was some, Muffin chasing them under furniture, so I put them in the bathroom again, Patches needs his sleep anyway, and he doesn't sleep as well outside his little "room":)

I am starting to separate the 2 kittens a little bit, letting them separately around the others, like one goes out to the porch with the big cats, and the other stays in with another big cat or 2.
Louise and Charlie are buddies!!

Efrat
07-29-2002, 01:31 AM
We have 2 brands of dry cat food (Pro plan and Technical) and we mix it for them... we actually have 5 different foods as we give them different falvours... technical has 2 flavour, Pro paln has 4, but we ususally have only 3...
then we have treats - that we get for free almost everytime we are in the pet store... and tonz of canned food.. we have fancy feast in about 10 flavours, pro plan in 4, wysong in 3, innova, california natural, and natural choice I think... I probably missed something...
We also have kitten milk powder... That's it I think!

Former User
07-29-2002, 01:38 AM
We don't have much food hanging around here, just a bag of dry food and few little bags of wet food. We had to stop buying tins, because C & K left food on the dish and it was wasted. Now that we buy those little bags, they eat all up. I don't know what the difference is but who cares for as long as they eat it! We also have treats, but only one bag.

sasvermont
07-29-2002, 05:12 AM
I have only one kind of dry food for three cats. They are on a high fiber prescription diet. I replenish their bowl nearly every day since they too, do not like it once the smell and crunchiness leaves the food. I let them share one can of Iams wet food at night and they often leave some for a little later, on their dish, then cover it with the throw rug. I buy only chicken, turkey and beef flavors. I cannot stand the smell of fish cat food. I don't give them treats etc.

P. S. They do get to lick yogurt containers and dishes whenever they manage to sneak up to the table while I am not looking. Gabe hasn't done this yet, but Graemer and Miley know how to do it!:rolleyes:

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
07-29-2002, 05:35 PM
All I have is Science Diet for Seniors. I tried the hairball stuff and Tubby became constipated so I had to stop that. They get their treats as treats, but Tubby's delicate tummy doesn't allow for much else besides that.

And TC/Arizona, might I suggest donating the food that you won't use instead of throwing it away? I'm not 100% sure they will take opened bags, but I would sure call and ask before throwing it away. Shelters can always use extra food.

NoahsMommy
07-29-2002, 06:25 PM
We have just one type....Nutro Max Cat...they really like it and aren't picky eaters...thank goodness. :)

yorkster
07-29-2002, 10:16 PM
Well, I used to have only one (Iams hairball), but we have a kitten here now. Kitten decided that he did not like his kitten food, and kept getting into the big kitties food. And let me tell you, hairball formula was not a good thing for a kitten! :eek:
Then also, Kedi decided he liked the kitten food better.

So, what I finally did was get regular adult cat food for ALL of them since they won't stay out of each others.......................
the vet said that it's fine for a kitten to eat regular food, as long as he gets some kitten canned every few days.

Let's see...........that makes 3 types of food. Not to mention all the different treats (probably around 6-7 types)

marie25
07-30-2002, 01:25 AM
I just keep one kind, i tried to feed my kitten, kitten food and my adult cat, adult cat food, but neither would stick to their own so I just gave up. I have always gone with Natural choice cat by nutro since I got my first cat 4 years ago. It is very good for their health and coats, and my cats have always enjoyed it.

07-30-2002, 06:29 AM
Sydney was a very difficult cat concerning his food !! So I tried lots of different brands in dry and wet food !!
Now that the poor guy is at the RB , there are still quite some leftovers in "his" drawer ...!
But now , there is sweet little Maya-girl !!! she seems to like everything !! At the shelter they advised me to give the same food they gave her for a while , to avoid diarrhea ; so she gets Whiskas wet food (the large tins) and Friskies dry food ! and she is doing real fine !!! This morning she "produced" her first real "sausage" (hm hm ) !!!! Was HUGE for a kitten !!!!!!!!!!

moosmom
07-30-2002, 09:49 AM
I only have one kind of cat food. Science Diet Sensitive Stomach. I've always fed them SD. I keep it in the bottom cupboard in a covered kitty litter bucket. Keeps it fresh and the ants out.

I used to feed my cats canned food but noticed they were leaving alot of it in their dishes. So I stopped buying it. It makes a big difference in the amount of "waste" they produce. Plus there's no smelly cans to recycle, and it saves me money.

yumyum6970
07-30-2002, 10:00 AM
i mostly just buy dry food and as a treat to Yum Yum I buy can food for her..she loves the stuff! she would probably eat it all the time if i let her. Dutchess however hates it. :)

yorkster
07-30-2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by lut
This morning she "pruduced" her first real "sausage" (hm hm ) !!!! Was HUGE for a kitten !!!!!!!!!!

Funny Lut! :D :D :D
........a sausage, never heard it called that before! :p :)

moosmom
07-30-2002, 07:44 PM
Lut,

You have me rolling on the floor laughing!! I've never heard it referred to as a "sausage" before. :eek:

Pickle
07-31-2002, 07:39 AM
I've just been to check Pickle's cupboard - it's really scary - I seem to be collecting cat food! :eek:

I have two types of Iams (adult & fat cat) which I mix up and feed to her daily, also feline t/d dental food - which is all dry.
Plus the bags and bags of treats she gets as pressies, mini cans of tuna flakes, and endless packets and boxes of freebie trial food - both wet and dry (Hi-life sample on the front of this months' "Your Cat" magazine). Also several small cans of Felix from when she had bad teeth and had to eat soft food.

I think I might have to donate some to the cats home! :)