PDA

View Full Version : Possibly another dog!

tikeyas_mom
08-17-2007, 01:40 PM
Shaun, the girls, and I are moving into a fairly large house within the next couple months, on 63 acers!! Our friend just bought the house and property, and will be renting it to us while he builds another house on the other side of the lot.
It will probably take around a year for his house to be finished..
Our friend who owns the property, has a larger male Rottie/Lab cross. He doesn't have the time to look after the dog because he travels back and forth from here to Calgary by-monthly to build his new house. So He asked us to take his dog for the year!.. :eek:

I havent yet met the dog, so I haven't made any decisions.
There is alot that I would want to consider before taking on ANOTHER large breed dog, is he neutered? well behaved? basic obedience? friendly with other animals/dogs/children? House trained?
Apparently He is 100% outside dog already (wich I would definitely want to change), I honesly doubt if he is neutered just because he has been an outside dog for his whole life (He would have to be neutered before living with us)... Wich also makes me wonder if hes house trained what-so-ever (I am not willing to take the time to house train an adult male dog)....

We will go meet the dog, and I will take some pics, if we decide to take him on.

Seravieve
08-18-2007, 12:05 AM
Well Im happy to hear about the new place for you guys.. Thats a relief! 63 acres.. wow.. That'd be awesome.

Definitely a big decision for another dog! Shoot... Sounds like youve got a lot of key questions prepared.. =)

mruffruff
08-20-2007, 12:43 PM
Ah, to have that much acreage!

An older dog that has lived outside would probably be easier to housetrain than a puppy. They just naturally want to water plants. Just keep an eye on him near any floor plants you might have--even if they're not real :rolleyes: